The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patapon is fucking excellent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Patapon is fucking excellent. Reply with quote

Erik Wolpaw mentioned it in his GDC interview, and he basically nails why it's good. It has all the collection/blending stuff of Monster Hunter and replaces the horrible monster hunter combat with a little side scrolling strategy based rhythm game.

I'm not sure if I should call it exceedingly excellent or what. It's definitely a portable game too. The only problem is that you need earbuds if you're going to play on a train or something. There are some visual cues as to how the beat works, but the music is the much better.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
kuzdu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing through it right now and I'm having a great time. There have been several times when I thought it was about to get old, but they've managed to consistently throw in little twists that keep me interested.
Cossix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've been opposed to is all the grinding. But maybe it's not really that grindy and I just suck at rhythm games (A strong possibility).
Worm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first miracle is impossible.
0/10

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB bongos would be good for this.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'm so glad Eric Wolpaw is a 'name' again. He used to give the best interviews back in the Old Man Murray days.
fish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met him at GDC, at the IGF pavillion.
took a good 5 minutes before it was revealed to me exactly who he was.
so i took him to my booth where i started fez to show him the 3 wooden crates RIGHT next to your starting point and said "start to crate: ZERO"

he thought that was pretty funny.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have pointed out his idiocy when it comes to barrels.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
The first miracle is impossible.
0/10

Hmm. I'm curious about this. When you say "first miracle" are you referring to making it rain? If so, I got hung up at that part too. You need to start the miracle by pressing X-XX-XX, then mimic it back once, AND THEN, stop using the X button and use the button that corresponds to the sound you're supposed to mimic instead. In the case of rain you need to press the Square button in time and then the O button once near the end. I spent probably 10 times trying to press the X button in time to the beat and never getting anywhere until I realized what I was doing wrong.

Personally, I like the game a lot, but, oddly, I think a few places need a bit more explanation of how to play. I've run into several places where I'm stuck (like what I described above) and the only reason I can't progress is some dumb thing I'm overlooking or something I missed on a previous level.

I understand the grinding criticisms and I've come to the conclusion that the game is balanced fairly well as a high level game, but not well at all if you're not great. If you're perfect at it you won't need to grind at all, but if you suck you need to work your ass off to make up for the fact that you can't keep a fever going forever. Sometimes I like this and sometimes it really pissed me off.

Is there any way to remove people from your group once they've been created? I made a bunch of lower level spear dudes early on and now I want to replace them but can't. It's sad Sad

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I've figured out the regular patapons get more powerful than the special ones (I think they're called rarepons) when you equip them with the right armor and weapons.

I agree with you that not enough is explained, because I've actually gotten into the situation where I have armies of special patapon that would be stronger if I just had a couple with mostly normal soldiers, and if there's a way to remove patapons from your armies I have haven't figured out.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the special ones attack faster or something though? Or is that equipment too?
kuzdu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they gave bonuses to the army but were themselves not very powerful, especially after you load the regular patapons with nice armor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: