The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Thesis, Psychological Research and You!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: My Thesis, Psychological Research and You! Reply with quote

Hey TGQ!

As some of you may know, I am currently working on my thesis - the final project to complete my Honours in Psychology program at university. In this endeavor, I have to test pretty much as many people as possible before analyzing and presenting the results at the end of the semester.

I would like to take this opportunity to request for you to help me in this undertaking. You can do so in two ways: If you could find the time to fill-out the attached survey and send it back to me - I would be really appreciative. Also, if you could forward the (unanswered) survey to any of your friends and family who wouldn't mind participating in my research, it would be absolutely amazing. Plus, it actually has to do with videogames so it kind of relates to TGQ in that sense!

The survey takes, on average, approximately 30 minutes to complete and the main thing to remember is that it does not matter how well you do. Some of the questions are really hard - if you don't know an answer, make the most educated guess that you can and move on. Please, do not cheat. All the results are completely confidential (they will be printed and graded separately from the consent form, which is the only place that will state your name) so do not feel like your name will be attached to your test or anything like that.

If you can make the time and wish to help, please follow these instructions:

-Download the "Dissertation Survey.pdf" (link: http://rapidshare.com/files/91511999/Dissertation_Survey.pdf.html) to your desktop.
-Open it with Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If you do not have Acrobat installed, it can be downloaded for free from http://www.adobe.com/go/gntray_dl_get_reader.
-You will get a message from Acrobat stating that you cannot save the information typed directly into the form and, as soon as you start typing, another message should appear telling you about an e-mail submit button. If you have Acrobat Professional, this might not appear. Don't worry about this for now.
-You should now be able to scroll or tab through the survey and type directly into the required fields.
-When you are finished, click the (rather large) SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.
-If you use an Email application, such as Outlook or Mail, it should open automatically if properly configured, with the data file already attached.
-If not, choose the second option that appears ("Internet Email") and click "OK". On the next screen, click the "Save Data File" button and save it to your desktop. (If you are using Acrobat Professional, you can skip this step and just go File - Save As instead)
-Send me an e-mail (matthewsigal@gmail.com) with the saved data file (the one you just saved to your desktop) attached.
-Once I have received your e-mail, I will respond with the debriefing form which details what I am investigating and why it is of interest.

If you run into any problems during the above process or have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me, either through e-mail, PM or this thread.

Once again, thank you for any help you might be able to give me in this undertaking - it really means a lot to me!

Matt.

Last edited by silentmatt on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your link doesn't work.

not to be a dick or anything, but wouldn't surveymonkey or a related service been perhaps a bit easier for people to use? my whole life revolves around pdfs - pray for me - so i get what's going on, but i can see a lot of other people just going "bah fuck this" when confronted with so many steps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, you are right. Stupid MediaFire. Changed to Rapidshare (which seems to work).

And you are probably also right about an online version... but this is the first time I've ever had to do anything like this so I don't really know how to go about doing it. If you look at the survey itself, you might get an idea of why it would be hard to translate? (If it isn't, please let me know - because yeah, a bunch of people have been like "screw this" when they saw the instructions).
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i definitely see the issue - but why the tracking codes?

edit: there are also some pdf issues - the box checking segment has some of them irregularly bolded, while some are straight. it may be a pdf issue (i'm using acrobat 8.0 here)

Last edited by dhex on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identification code?

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the initial/date combination.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
yeah i definitely see the issue - but why the tracking codes?

edit: there are also some pdf issues - the box checking segment has some of them irregularly bolded, while some are straight. it may be a pdf issue (i'm using acrobat 8.0 here)

The tracking codes are there so, a month later, if a participant is all "in retrospect, I don't want to participate", we have a way of tracking down their particular survey and removing it from the study. It is the "freedom to withdraw at any point" necessity for an ethical psychological survey.

As far as the boxes go - I noticed that too. Which is weird because, honestly, they are all exactly the same (cut and paste and then renamed). There is no reason for them to appear different and yet, they do. I spent hours trying to figure that out before just saying "screw it - it is just aesthetics anyways" and moving on. As far as some being less straight than others, that is because I had to hand place each friggin' box (like I said before, I'm a total amateur in this regard) and I guess my hand wasn't so steady. It all functions, its just not pretty.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If more than one choice applies, are multiple answers permissable?
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the PDF will allow for multiple answers, I cannot actually include them in the analysis. So, nope. Try to pick what you think is the most appropriate response?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: