The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM CRUISE CAN'T FLY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine Greedo would be pretty handy in a gang bang since he's got like 5 things to stick your dick into just on his face.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which probably accounts for the permanently startled expression.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ides of March draw near, as does Operation Reconnect.

More like Deus Ex, am I right?

Secret Scientology dox, man!

---

Though this is suspicious as all Hell; Activist found dead.

He was prolific in criticising the CoS and appeared in the John Sweeney Panorama film. Apparent suicide, but it looks dodgy. Clearwater police are in the pocket of the CoS, so it's never going to get investigated properly.

A hosepipe was found going from his car exhaust into his home. Note - he wasn't in his car. He was probably in bed. So he put a hosepipe from his car exhaust through his window, then went to bed. Right.

The local police spokeswoman who said there was no sign of foul play is listed as having completed Scientology courses. Evidence based on Scientology publications linking the spokeswoman with the CoS here. Her husband is also higher up in the organisation.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this reconnect thing is at least going somewhere, perhaps. that's cool.

random nostalgia: one of the first things i ever did with the internet was get the ot materials and whatnot from the old clambake ftp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation Reconnect is a very intriguing move. I'm just curious as to how they'll pull it off, as it will require substantially more organisation than a simple protest.

Oh, also, via XenuTV: The Road to February 10th, a summary of the events leading up to that, for those who want to catch up.

I'm also amused at the change of heart Mark Bunker has had since the protest.

EDIT: Oh shit, a Dianetics DVD is found and uploaded for our viewing pleasure.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's struck me that everyone who dies within ten feet of scientology basically gets enshrined in a sort of james ellroy story, like when ken ogger died last year. regular household accidents automatically become "suspicious" no matter what. i don't know if that's more or less cruel than just dying.

i'm sure the dianetics dvd is intensely boring, but i will probably dl it at home. it will be good for the next stupid movie party.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDoVUTy1go

first of five parts. it's pretty good.

if you get the chance in nyc, go take the scientology headquarters tour. just beware the really boring hour long interview they show halfway through.

actually, i don't know if they're being a bit more, you know, selective with whom they let in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scilons strike back!

Also: http://uk.youtube.com/user/PlymouthScientology

Sci-Chavs
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic anti-activist tactics.

Plant a few guys in a crowd, then slip 'em a wink, and see if we can start a riot.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlanta police on the take.

Operation Reconnect on April the 12th. This should be interesting.

Also, Church of Scientology releases a DVD entitled Anonymous Hate Crimes.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDoVUTy1go

first of five parts. it's pretty good.

I watched that, it was fascinating. I was amazed by the story of L.Ron's son who an admiral on Sea Org, the ocean-going yacht where he lived with his father and a staff of subordinates. He was gay, which is forbidden by the religion his own father created. Suffice to say he ended up killing himself!

I think people who start their own private empires like this are fascinating. I remember when Michael Jackson floated an enormous statue of himself dressed in militaristic garb up the river Thames! Similarly, Walt Disney wanted to build an enormous statue of himself overlooking Disneyland which would be visible from any point in the theme park. It's usually men who get involved in these kind of shenanigans, I've noticed. Are there any women who've done similar things?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary kay?

if we're talking giant monuments, not particularly, though you never know what oprah is going to pull out of her sleeve next.

but women have been the driving force of many a millennialist religious movement, as well as prohibitionist exercises. mary eddy baker comes to mind, as does blavatsky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

but women have been the driving force of many a millennialist religious movement...

Maybe someone will build a super-tall meditation tower studded with crystals.

Breatharian "Farm".
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is whether this was actually idiots associated with Anonymous or some sort of sleeper cell.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 4chan can officially hurt people in reality now.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

douchebag splinter cells wreak havoc on the internet. film at 11.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories of Yore on the see-6-4.

Now I just need an emulator

ccs v3.4 takes 1 minute to d/l and install.

I launched from the start menu, then dropped the Flash For Fantasy .prg file onto the c64 emulator window.

Kinda lame, but I remember it looking better on c64 with commodore monitor.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

08-08-08
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem about this 'Anonymous' thing - a loose, decentralised collective where everyone involved can claim to speak simultaneously from the fringes and from the centre- is it discredits the speaker as much as it elevates them. 'Information obtained by anonymous reveals...' sounds impressive, but since Anonymous isn't really an organisation as such, it can just as easily be read as 'information obtained/made up by me, a lone wackjob'.

Also, their focus on soft targets such as the Scientologists is a big flag that it's just a bunch of kids playing at being subversive revolutionaries. Still, from little acorns, etc.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you dense or do you just enjoy feigning it?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg your pardon?
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Also, their focus on soft targets such as the Scientologists is a big flag that it's just a bunch of kids playing at being subversive revolutionaries. Still, from little acorns, etc.

The old "overthrow government" thing is olde.

It's meme war.

Fallout could beat up star trek.

etc.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK Border Agency wouldn't exactly mount investigations on hearsay and rumours from 'information obtained/made up by me, a lone wackjob'.

And to call Scientology a soft target is about as ignorant as saying getting gutshot is a good way to relieve one's bowels. You do realise it's an organised institution with unethical, cultist practices and a history of sneaking its way into offices of power, yes?

Besides, the Anonymous movement has a grown a far ways further from the confines of 4chan since it kicked off.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking generally, dogbreath! I believe that that information he has is legit, or like you say the officals wouldn't be investigating. I was just saying how claiming to be from anonymous basically doesn't mean anything at all. It discredits you just as much as it makes you sound mysterious and sinister.

I'm just thinking about the concept of Anonymous generally, here (I don't really care about the whole Scientology rhubarb at this very moment, although yes, I know all about them). I do believe that there's potential for this thing to grow into a viable channel for social change and public action. Just, there's a lot of potential for the concept to be misused, too! Can you imagine if a corporation started a grass roots campaign of protest against one of its corporate rivals, posing as 'anonymous'? All they need is a youtube video with some cool editing, a good story and some slightly spurious evidence (like the Scientology mysterious death list), and they've got themselves a market lead!

As a galvanizing force for and positive action, it only seems to work against pantomime villians like the Scientologists that everyone can agree are up to no good. Is it going to be as easy to get anonymous to rally against causes that are more nuanced, and dare I say worthwhile? And is there any reason to remain anonymous when protesting any other organisation except Scientology, anyway? Not really, unless you're planning to carry out illegal action, and if you do that you get your flashy little youtube video and your website taken the fuck down.

So... basically, I'm not sold on this whole concept. I'd like to be proven wrong ,though.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS JUST IN, FROM OUR MAN ON THE GROUND, HARVEY JAMES:

PEOPLE'S LIVES RUINED BY OVERBEARING CULTIST ACTIVITY NOT WORTHWHILE CAUSES! FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO! LIKE GET A JOB!

Anonymity is, strangely, very, very useful when facing people known to harass, sometimes violently, their critics on all manner of fronts pertaining to their individual lives and activities!

I'm sorry if this sounds wasteful to you!
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarveyJams, the black bloc has been doing this for longer than ytmnd has even been around.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
THIS JUST IN, FROM OUR MAN ON THE GROUND, HARVEY JAMES:

PEOPLE'S LIVES RUINED BY OVERBEARING CULTIST ACTIVITY NOT WORTHWHILE CAUSES! FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO! LIKE GET A JOB!

Anonymity is, strangely, very, very useful when facing people known to harass, sometimes violently, their critics on all manner of fronts pertaining to their individual lives and activities!

I'm sorry if this sounds wasteful to you!

It's good at bothering Scientologists, yes, I am aware! I'm just considering the wider applications and implications of this movement. Read my post properly! I'm not disparaging these people or their efforts against Scientologists. I think it's a good thing they're doing. Why are you so tense!

I think the problem here is with my description of scientology as a 'soft target'. I do agree with everything you say about Scientology, pretty much, but I'm not as bothered by at as you are. Here is my idea of a 'hard target', and I say this not out of wanting to look cool, but through looking at the concept of civil uprising in the context of historical precedent:

The Governments of the world (who at this moment in time are still ruining the planet and not doing nearly enough to set things right, despite us being on course for an enviromental cataclysm, etc)

or even, say,

The Shell Oil corporation

Next to these, you have to admit Scientology is small fry. Of course, as our standard of living continues to get better the idea of rising against the system that affords us this lifestyle becomes increasingly unattractive to the average person, so it's easy to see why hardly anyone does anything about it.

There's always hope, though! I'm questioning, here, whether Anonymous could ever be used to affect change I consider worthwhile.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important thing is that you can spell SHELLOIL on a calculator but you can't Scientology.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gom'mint
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HJ:
Quote:
...Here is my idea of a 'hard target', and I say this not out of wanting to look cool, but through looking at the concept of civil uprising in the context of historical precedent:

The Governments of the world (who at this moment in time are still ruining the planet and not doing nearly enough to set things right, despite us being on course for an enviromental cataclysm, etc)

or even, say,

The Shell Oil corporation

You don't go after hard targets.

They're designed to be immune to that kind of crap.

Hard targets have a sort of symbiosis with their supporters/potential enemies ( as you have pointed out).

Practicing against cults is great (religion is a hard target, so you need a stand-in). Next step is addressing dumbassery. If you can succeed in that the hard targets starve.

Laughter of the gods and all that.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PEOPLE'S LIVES RUINED BY OVERBEARING CULTIST ACTIVITY NOT WORTHWHILE CAUSES!

is it really their business?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: