The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM CRUISE CAN'T FLY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: TOM CRUISE CAN'T FLY Reply with quote

So, Scientology, huh?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the only people who actually care about Scientology are podgy white-boys spouting 4chan catchphrases, that tells you all you need to know. If you get the chance, go into one of those Scientology centres and get yourself tested for free, it is un-fucking-real. It's like being on the set of a science fiction movie except the people aren't actors. Ask them to explain the science to you when you get counselled at the end! It's hilarious!

Since anyone with any basic knowledge of any philosophy or science will see through their nonsense straight away, the funny thing is it means that all Scientologists must be as dumb as shit. It's still fascinating, though, because there are real people working in that building whose lives have genuinely been turned around by Scientology, and it's completely made-up and rubbish! It's a prime example of the human need for spirituality conveniently demonstrated without any possible supernatural intervention- to reiterate, it demonstrates that human beings need religion for basic survival reasons which have nothing to do with the supernatural.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey is such a racist he doesn't even see other skin colours no more!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're such a bore lately! What is up with you?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a competition, Harvey!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the anonymous kids are boring blowjobs.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me to be a racist it would require me to be a hell of a lot dumber than I am (not dumb at all). Also, Dracko, if you insist on waging this super-tedious vendetta against me (see: Daphny's blog comments), fine but I don't want any part of it- you can do it on your own time because I am not playing, so grow up or fuck right off.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fuck, is that what you're in a tissy about? Get over yourself, man!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what? You're the one who's in a 'tissy', I'm just reacting to you. Anyway, that's it, I'm not reacting any further.
digi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM CRUISE IS A FLIGHTLESS BIRD
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywayyyyy
Quote:
How do you, ideologically speaking, defeat a crowd that is enthusiastically demanding that you "DO A BARREL ROLL! DO A BARREL ROLL!!" ?

Or, as I like to put it, "Why do these kids think yelling stupid internet catchphrases is a proper way to protest?" Or, "What the fuck do they think protesting is for anyway?" Or, "How do they plan on changing things by showing off what big internet nerds they are in public?" Or, "When challenging an organization that destroys people's lives at worst and sucks money out of innocent people/ties up the courts at best, these people think it's a good idea to go to their offices and chant a random phrase from an old videogame. WHAT THE FUCK?"

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

Who are, of course, immensely proud of it in a way that makes anybody who had to spend time around the swing dance club in college wince a little.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Why do these kids think yelling stupid internet catchphrases is a proper way to protest?"

protests are largely catchphrases, they're merely giving it a 2.0 spin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Wait, what? You're the one who's in a 'tissy', I'm just reacting to you.

Don't make me fucking laugh, you hypocritical toad.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientology is a religion only a science fiction writer could have come up with. It doesn't really make for a good internet meme though so come on guys, let's drop it and talk about the mormons or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that these protests would be a lot cooler than they turned out to be. On the other hand, I probably should have seen it coming what with the V for Vendetta masks and everything.

I can't wait for the FOX News segment on this.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Anywayyyyy
Quote:
How do you, ideologically speaking, defeat a crowd that is enthusiastically demanding that you "DO A BARREL ROLL! DO A BARREL ROLL!!" ?

The unplanned organism is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question, with a different kind of answer.

Quote:

Or, as I like to put it, "Why do these kids think yelling stupid internet catchphrases is a proper way to protest?"

Because of my knowledge I was able to convince the queen I was a mighty oracle, but no history book could have prepared me for what happened here.

Quote:

Or, "What the fuck do they think protesting is for anyway?"

For Great Justice!

Quote:

Or, "How do they plan on changing things by showing off what big internet nerds they are in public?"

What can change the nature of a man?

Quote:

Or, "When challenging an organization that destroys people's lives at worst and sucks money out of innocent people/ties up the courts at best, these people think it's a good idea to go to their offices and chant a random phrase from an old videogame. WHAT THE FUCK?"

...All of our history...Our art and science...All to meet the needs of that...beast...
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I'd imagine so, what with the mask.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend brought home a Scientology book (The Scientology Handbook) from the library she works at, saving it from the trash. It's pretty awesome. There are pictures of people commanding people to do weird stuff.

Chapter: Answers to Drugs

Guy: "Look around here and find something you could have."
Woman: "This rug."
Guy: "All right. Look around here and find something you could have."
Woman: "That coat rack."

Guy: (Pointing at a flower.) "Become curious about that."
Woman: "Okay, I did."
Guy: "Very good."
Guy: (Pointing at a lamp.) "Become curious about that."
Woman: "Yes, I did."

The beginning has a German scientist (psychologist) torturing a guy. Then it shows a concentration camp, which is followed by a picture of a mountaintop where Jesus, Buddha, and other religious figures are standing, with a man in a suit holding the Scientology Handbook on the peak, above them all, staring into the horizon.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan you must scan pages of this book.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please do!

at a certain point the celebrity angle of scientology actually seems to harm it, at least where the outside world is concerned.

speaking of which, what's uncle bill have to say about it?

http://www.suburbia.net/~fun/scn/etc/wsb3.html
http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/books/naked-scientology.pdf

edit: for some reason someone i barely know is sending me overblown THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF A REVOLUTION type emails over this. seriously? for fucking real?

Last edited by dhex on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not since the RNC convention in 2004 have i so wished for the earth to open up and swallow the two participating sides of a social conflict.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with scanning this thing is that it's about 800 fucking pages. It's hard to adjust it properly on the scanner bed.

Here is one I found pretty funny:

What is this ... fuel ... that you speak of?

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall rather sensible rules being announced in anticipation for this protest, including one that stated that memes weren't public knowledge at this juncture, and therefore useless.

That doesn't seem to have stopped them. They're clearly in it for the lulz. This seemed more purposeful, though.

dhex, I believe people are going on about it because it's a large, globe-spanning dysfunctional group getting somewhat organised. Not that I expect them to do anything of genuine value, but it's an interesting phenomenon nonetheless.

Though it could be that Scientology's reactions towards this silliness will gun down their credibility. They're referring to Anonymous as cyber-terrorists and the like. That's kind of like calling a Gay Pride parade a collective of suicide bombers.

Apparently, some veterans in the protest and independent-media businesses are now advising Anonymous.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently, some veterans in the protest and independent-media businesses are now advising Anonymous.

thank god! ever since those guys stopped the iraq invasion i've been hoping they'd pick up on something really vital to our culture.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means there's money in it somewhere!

4chan sold out, man!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probably means someone sent someone else an email and that got forwarded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since peaceful demonstration is apparently the sole province of losers perhaps you could educate us in more effective tactics, dhex. How did you succeed in stopping the tide of anime in american pop culture and in putting Ron Paul on the road to a surefire presidential victory?

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not done building my flamethrower yet. i need more time!

i would say a more effective tactic might be ignoring scientology and minding one's own business.

i mean don't get me wrong i saw the giant tide from 4chan against the various dioceses in north america when they were implicated at the highest levels in money laundering, hiding child molesters and aiding and abetting the same but...oh wait, tom cruise isn't a catholic.

my bad.

edit: sadly, peaceful protest tends to be pretty useless in the modern world. at least the kind practiced in the us, which probably has a lot to do with the lack of "on message" discipline and the need to satisfy diverse and often opposing constituencies on the american left. combined with the sense that "doing anything" is at least "doing something" - no matter how ineffective, stupid or ultimately damaging to one's stated cause - you end up with protests being functionally toothless. (outside of the egos of the participants, i mean)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this reminded me of something:

"Fantasy fandom is a huge force in Vinge's world, where massively multiplayer games are the dominant entertainment medium, and the legions of enthusiasts in "belief circles" can not only project their fantasies onto the increasingly attenuated fabric of the real world but pit their fictional worlds against each other in epistemological combat. Heroic figures like Dangerous Knowledge and Librarians Militant (both from a Terry Pratchett-like fantasy domain) and the Greater Scooch-a-mout and Mind Sum (from a Pokémon-like franchise) duke it out in front of a real library and an online flash crowd of millions."

Source:

Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge. Article in MIT Technology Review.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine suggested the anonymous folk might be put to better use against someone like the rev. phelps, since they're of a similar mindset.

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEH CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY KILLS!!

If that's true, how come they haven't all been busted? It's so easy to make up these mysterious death lists.

That they're taking on Scientology and not any harder targets like, for example, I dunno, just to pick a random example out of the air, THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION tells you everything you need to know about these annoying blowjobs.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been arrests for murder and kidnapping. There was also their attempt to alter records in government agencies, which, according to wikipedia, was "the single largest infiltration of the United States government in history with up to 5,000 covert agents." I don't care about the V for Vendetta-ness'ess going around, but it's not like Scientology is just a stream of weird Tom Cruise youtube videos. I'd also venture that some involved have protested against the Bush Administration, not to mention that it ends this year (well, next, but it's lame duck until then).

I'd say the Catholic Church is a much more viable target, what wish priests being unable to keep their willies away from kids and their superiors being unable to understand that that is, in fact, not part of their job - aside: http://www.bishop-accountability.org/.
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fuck with the Sea Org !

A Navy LARP

lawl

teh wiki
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part 1 of 4 of the panorama special:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pG49lg5AU

the e-meter is still legal in britain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, it'd be cool if you'd stop talking when you don't know what you're on about.

Anyway, massive censorship on YouTube on the part of the Church of Scientology.

dhex, did you see the response John Sweeney gave in light of his outburst?

Christ, these people are terrifying.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i saw his response. he handled the aftermath very well. all the low-level psych-out stuff can get pretty irritating after a while. especially with the minor but constant harassment routine, following them around all the time, etc.

i'm sort of amazed at how they don't seem to recognize that their routines are genuinely self-defeating in a larger sense - if scientology is around 100 years from now, it will either have jettisoned this stuff or it will be headed the way of the shakers.

fwiw, i have an l ron shirt that, every so often when i'm wearing it, i get stopped by a random person with "scientology eyes" and asked about it. it's a picture of him from the 60s with "ascended charlatan" underneath it. so long as you wait for them to stop being agitated you defuse most of the verbal kung-fu they've learned. they're not huge on answers, though, which i find disappointing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly get the impression they're supposed to be big on answers.

This is especially classy as fuck.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought harvey and dracko were supposed to be buttbuddies Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Sad

I'm going to make a comic about the time I went to see the Centre of Dianetics and Scientolgy next to Goodge Street Station and got a free testing, it was some fascinating shit. I'll let you guys know when I've done it
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i missed teh feb 10th protest so im going to the next one on march 15th for giggles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough cars flipped over and set on fire at the Houston event. Anon could stand to learn a thing or two from the French.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
Not enough cars flipped over and set on fire at the Houston event. Anon could stand to learn a thing or two from the French.

Nonsense vs nonsense

infowar

no need for physicality except as spectacle of showing up in person

I have a feeling that Scientology offices might become magnets for cosplay dada events

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if anything in capable of starting a rash of spontaneous 'cosplay dada events' it's to be welcomed with open arms.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to wrap a longcat aroudn the church of scientology
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know who would be a good target for these blowjobs?

the rev. phelps crew.

as a friend of mine put it:
Quote:
The Informationless yet Self-congratulatory assaulting those entranced by "The One Thought" can make for interesting, if unoriginal, street theatre.

edit:
Quote:
Not enough cars flipped over and set on fire at the Houston event.

not that any of this would happen, but if you wanted maximum weirdness:

1) for whatever weird reason these blowjobs get the idea that destroying a car would be cool.

2) cops show up, taze/gas/shoot otherwise incapacitate and kill a member of said group of blowjobs.

3) at funeral for now deceased blowjob, scientologists show up to grief the griefers, as it were. blowjob fight ensues.

3a) in a twist, someone contacted the westboro baptist church and told them the 4chan people were really fags and since god hates fags, these assholes show up.

4) i awake the next morning to see my local morning "news" personality try to explain scientology, blowjobs from the internet and blowjobs from the westboro baptist church in less than two minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying who, but someone is totally taking all the fun out of 'blowjob.'
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you hate blowjobs, dhex?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to set you all straight, i'm bringing back "blowjob" as a description because it just too perfect.

i.e.

see?

perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: