The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hair Cutting Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Hair Cutting Thread Reply with quote

I just cut my own hair short, ending a great run of self-given mid-length haircuts since about october last year. I haven't been to a barber in about 5 years, since in university I read that Spike Jonze cuts his hair by simply running his hand over his head and cutting any hair that poked out from between the fingers, and I decided, yeah, I could do that. I've never liked going to the barber's, anyway, so it made sense.

Last year I got confident enough at cutting my own hair that I started to creatively decide what i wanted to cut away and what I wanted to leave. It worked out OK! One person said I looked like a 'Prada model' and someone else said I looked like 'one of Franz Ferdinand'. Cool, I was just trying to do myself a haircut I liked! Great result!

^ That's what Franz Ferdinand look like in case you don't know. ^

So I managed to repeat that trick about three times over the next half a year. It was a golden age of my hair! That brings us to the present day, a day like any other day, where I would give myself a haircut like any other haircut, but..

Shit went wrong! I gave myself a haircut that looked like Prince circa 2003, or a lesbian!

The thing about cutting hair is there's no undo button. I tried fixing it, but it just got weirder and weirder until the only thing to do was to cut it all off, and this is what I look like now:

<-- that's actually a weird mirror-effect photo I did on someone's mac early last year. My facial expression is much the same, though, i.e SAD

Have any of you lot ever cut your own hair? Would you do it for this thread and post pictures?
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used clippers for the past eight or so years.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not get sick of the fact that your shit always comes out the same way, though?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can barely feel competent using the clippers on the back of my electric razor in the mirror (to keep my sideburns from looking like pube-ish messes), the angle always feels funny. So I just don't trust myself w/ more than that.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent gotten a REAL haircut in like six years
i love cutting my own hair it is the best thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to cut my wife's hair for a really long time. I'm actually (well, was) decent at cutting hair. When I was in training school I use to cut hair to help other people save money.

Anyways, I have to have my hair cut the same way pretty much. I have a cowlick at the front of my head that makes my bangs curl like a wave no matter what I do with my hair. So this means that if you look at my High School ID I pretty much look exactly the same because I always have the same haircut. Also, if I shave my head (like I was pretty much forced to for 18 months) I look about 5+ years younger, so I don't do that. Currently though, I just use beard trimmers and am trying to let my hair grow out ala John Connor in T2.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i havent gotten a REAL haircut in like six years
i love cutting my own hair it is the best thing

Girls keep saying they want me to cut their hair, and then I get a glint in my eye and they decide against it.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girls think you're gay, they all think you're gay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are girls I know

How are lesbians for cutting hair? Pretty shitty I'd imagine, going by the look of you
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horrible never let a lesbian cut your hair NEVER EVER
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I grabbed some clippers and cut my hair down to about 3/4 of an inch today and it feels nice not to have my 'fro, but also a bit cold.

Why the hell is it thunderstorming in January in Cleveland? God, the weather is so fucked up.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia is shipping its rain overseas. We decided that we're all sick of it over here so we are sending it to Canada like the unopened Christmas present we never wanted in the first place. We have plenty more to go around so expect to receive more of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave my fiancee a mohawk two days ago. she's very happy with it, though it's so long she's not sure she can spike it.

i'm going to get her to bring my current hairdo in so i can rock an industrial mohawk, myself. the only thing cuter than a girl with a mohawk is a couple with mohawks.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just imagining your fiancee with a big fat Wendy O. Williams mohawk (see video for The Damned). I can see her right now, driving a school bus through a wall of televisions and jumping off shortly before it explodes even though I have absolutely no idea how she looks like. With her eyes I guess.

It's a really sweet daydream, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the first thing i imagined was her throwing a chainsaw at our tv, so there's maybe a bit of Wendy O. in her after all!

boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Australia is shipping its rain overseas. We decided that we're all sick of it over here so we are sending it to Canada like the unopened Christmas present we never wanted in the first place. We have plenty more to go around so expect to receive more of it.

See, the funny thing is that this is just way too warm for Cleveland, so the rain is odd as hell.
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm frustrated enough now with every haircut I get in my military-cut/prom-night town that I'm going to start trying to do this myself. Homebrewed haircut. I'm excited and scared by the glory of what I can accomplish alone. I think I start with that Spike Lee trick, which seems easy enough.

I generally wait so long to get a haircut that I can't bring myself to ask friends to do it for me. At the place I have been going to, I get passed around by all the stylists; everyone knows me as that guy who can't articulate what the fuck he wants to do with his puffy mullet, and so I get rushed out.

"That's short enough I think. I've got a perm to do and you're cramping my chair!"
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
i gave my fiancee a mohawk two days ago. she's very happy with it, though it's so long she's not sure she can spike it.

Elmer's glue mixed with ?

Was it beer?

Vaseline?

Can't remember.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just use the gel glue.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospital Zone wrote:
I'm frustrated enough now with every haircut I get in my military-cut/prom-night town that I'm going to start trying to do this myself. Homebrewed haircut. I'm excited and scared by the glory of what I can accomplish alone. I think I start with that Spike Lee trick, which seems easy enough.

That's the spirit! You need to blog it in this thread. Post before and after pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: