The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comics Thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Onion: Why an aardvark?

Dave Sim: You know, it's really quite unbelievable to me that you have 4,000 words in which to cover the longest sustained narrative in human history, and your first question is "Why an aardvark?" What would your first question to Franz Kafka have been? "Why a cockroach?"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Sim needs to chill the fuck out.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Sim's insistence that Cerebus is the "longest sustained narrative in history" is really embarrassing. First of all, why would LENGTH be the main thing you advertise about your comic? Doesn't he have a better way to sell it?

Also it's a very, very dubious claim. There are lots of manga with a higher page count. Admittedly, manga is drawn faster and read quicker than American comics, so a page of manga is less than a page of American comics. But it's hard for him to prove that Cerebus is longer than all American comics.

There's also the Japanese novel series Guin Saga, which has 118 volumes. 118 novels is longer than 300 comic issues!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that crazy janitor who wrote that million-page novel about the Vivian Girls, which wasn't discovered until after his death? That might pip Cerebus to the post. So might, I dunno, The Bible.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bible only feels like it's a million pages long.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What about that crazy janitor who wrote that million-page novel about the Vivian Girls, which wasn't discovered until after his death? That might pip Cerebus to the post. So might, I dunno, The Bible.

Henry Darger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebrey wrote:
The Bible only feels like it's a million pages long.

But I mean the bible was written over a longer period (quite a few hundred years longer). In terms of pure page count, I'm sure there are tons of book series that are longer than Cerebus. So like you said, it's a pretty dubious claim. Still, Googling 'longest sustained narrative in human history' brings up a ton of references to Cerebus, so that's an achievement, I guess.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way you can describe cerebus without going into a long-winded explanation of the lsd-induced nonsense, misogyny, politics, etc, is by calling it LOOOOOOONG maybe?

thats what i do at least

whats cerebus l ike? LOOOONG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
the only way you can describe cerebus without going into a long-winded explanation of the lsd-induced nonsense...

Ehh, coulda been better.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Sim vs. Gail Simone!
digi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Dave Sim vs Gail Simone vs The Internet!

Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Bodenheim has posted a coloured preview of his and Jonathan Hickman's upcoming A Red Mass for Mars on his DeviantArt page.

I was worried about how well Hickman's abstract sense of colouring would translate to slightly more conventional pencils not of his own design, but this is stunning.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Warren Ellis kicks off his free webcomic collaboration with Paul Duffield, entitled Freakangels.

The basic idea being providing weekly updates of about five pages or so, avoiding the artificial breaks in your 26 page standard issues. They're comparing it to television, really: They'll reap the cash in the collected editions.

The plot sees disenfranchised young adult versions of the Midwich Cuckoos living in a drowned London which they may have some part in. Seems to be going for a steampunk gothic aesthetic, mixing European and Japanese sensibilities. The success of such a model should prove an interesting experiment at the least.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm reading through High Society. Seriously at what fucking point does this become good because right now it feels like an extended Discworld graphic novel.

Great cover, though!

It's funny how Dave Sim claims to not be a misogynist, because anyone who likes women even a little bit would draw them with prettier faces than he does. Even the woman who's supposed to be based on Debbie Harry looks like a Melty Creature 98 % of the time. How does he manage to have such a solid understanding of human anatomy but such an awful grasp of how to draw heads and faces? Either Dave's swiping poses from old Conan the Barbarian comics and drawing new faces over the top of them, or he's got a rare brain disease that affects 1 person in a billion.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

church and state is where sim really hits his stride. the characters who are obvious fantasy renditions of real world celebrities are still omni-present, but church and state moves things from the bumbling hi jinx to being intense stuff and even the joke bits feel a lot more coherent.

i must add a caveat that i did enjoy high society too, though not as much as the first phone book or the others i read up until his trip to crazy town made the whole mess less enjoyable.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and Cerebus has got two mouths, one on either side of his head, and one eye with two pupils. It's supposed to effortlessly read as one mouth and two eyes, but it doesn't, it's just staring us in the face in every panel. It's hideous!

I mean the entire enterprise still fascinates me. I still think Cerebus is going to be something I'll enjoy immensely once I hit the sweet spot, because I've seen so many flashes of genius in amongst all the stuff I haven't liked, and it still amazes me that one man did all of this. It's an amazing insight into what happens when you let someone stare confidently into the back of their own head for 25 years.

My favorite Cerebus story so far is one that apparently wasn't collected in any of the books. It's the episode just after Church and State where Cerebus is going around his ruined kingdom (papacy?). It's largely wordless, which instantly elevates it over the rest of the series where no-one shuts the hell up. It's quite beautiful. It was the first Cerebus I ever read, in fact.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
church and state is where sim really hits his stride. the characters who are obvious fantasy renditions of real world celebrities are still omni-present, but church and state moves things from the bumbling hi jinx to being intense stuff and even the joke bits feel a lot more coherent.

i must add a caveat that i did enjoy high society too, though not as much as the first phone book or the others i read up until his trip to crazy town made the whole mess less enjoyable.

I like High Society soooo much more than Church and State. C & S is just way too long. It was originally supposed to be 50 issues, and it shows. Church & State 1 is a small step down from High Society, and Church & State 2 is mostly just bad (I love the Mick Jagger/Kieth Richards parody though).

High Society is one of the best written books of the whole run (the art suffers from not having Gerhard). It's hilarious, but it's also got inventive issues (Mind Game II) and poignant ones (Jaka's return!). The only plots I don't like are the kidnapping plot in the beginning, and the Moon Roach. I had to google "Moon Roach" to find out what the hell it was parodying, since Moon Knight is a relic of the 80s.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I only knew what Moon Knight was because my older sister used to buy comics in the 80s.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon Knight actually has an ongoing at the moment. Not bad if you'd prefer Batman with more schizo-violence and vague Egyptian mythos elements.

Though the best superhero series Marvel has running at the moment is probably The Immortal Iron Fist, tapping into the martial arts craze of the 60s. Here's a good analysis as to why it'd be worth your while.

That said, I also like the new status quo in the X-Men universe (less than 200 mutants across the globe makes for a tenser and more credible tale). I'd have said Punisher MAX, but the guy barely counts as a superhero even when he's stuck within Marvel continuity, so...

Also, in 2009 and 2010 Top Shelf is going to make it real easy to become well-versed in Eddie Campbell's work by releasing Alec and Bacchus omnibi.

Also, Pat Mills' Marshal Law.

No word about format, but one hopes they'll be reasonably priced softcovers, perhaps in the $35 price range like we saw for the excellent From Hell graphic novel. Maybe $40, to account for inflation by 2009-2010.

His The Fate of the Artist is stellar, incidentally.
Ebrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, what do you think of Barracuda MAX? I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the best Punisher arcs (such as Barracuda). Maybe it was a bit rushed, being 5 issues instead of 6?

It's still great to see Ennis writing and Goran Parlov drawing.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt it was quite clearly taking a more comedic tone, not unlike Ennis' Kev saga or Hitman. I found it enjoyable, and the first issue is utterly epic what with the racist sheriff, rimming The Sopranos as well as the Christopher Walken cameo, but certainly not essential to the Punisher MAX tales. It didn't add much to the character of Barracuda in the end, when you look at the way he's built up in the latest arc, Long Cold Dark.

I'm not sure I'd get the trade, is what I'm saying.

FUN FACT: Ennis wanted Barracuda dead in his eponymous arc, but it was his editor that convinced him otherwise.

Gorlan Parlov is amazing. Sci-fi author Richard K. Morgan worked with him on the first of two Black Widow mini-series which are worth a look - and sadly, much like Silent War, don't seem like they'll ever get a proper ending.
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been catching up on the Ultimate Marvel stuff.

Ultimate X-Men has really embarassing art (in the first four volumes, at least) but the deviations from earth-616 are interesting. I like how (LOL SPOILRZ) Charles Xavier is something of a powermad control freak who's probably secretly controlling everyone's minds and giving them misgivings about him controlling their minds just so it's less obvious that he's CONTROLLING THEIR MINDS (ZOMG /SPOILRZ).

The Ultimates is my favourite series from these writers so far. I like how it takes a more personal approach to characters like Captain America, where the first thing he does after 60 years of being on ice is troll yard sales and consignment shops for old Sinatra albums and visit the people he knew when he was young.
Also Ultimate Thor fucking rules.

Haven't touched on Ultimate Spider-Man or Fantastic Four yet.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Fincher is going to be working on an adaptation of Charles Burns' Black Hole. I knew an adaptation was always hinted at being in the works, but Fincher on such material makes sense, really. The body horror aspects might lend itself more to David Cronenberg's touch, but Fincher's stylised approach might be more in keeping.

Oh, and Leonardo DiCaprio is producing the live-action Akira adaptation. I don't know how I feel about that.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultimates is totally great sediment, just steer well clear of the Ultimates 3 (where Joe Mad. takes over the art). It's depressing how dissimilar it is to the previous two shining beacons of pure awesome that bear its name.

Also, why do you think the art in Ultimate X-Men is embarrassing? I think the first volumes are some of the best!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimates 3's only redeeming value, apart from the art, is making the previous two look smart by comparison.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, even the artwork is... I dunno, this sounds dumb, but it's too Joe Madureira for me. It's like he didn't know when his style had gone too far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
David Fincher is going to be working on an adaptation of Charles Burns' Black Hole. I knew an adaptation was always hinted at being in the works, but Fincher on such material makes sense, really. The body horror aspects might lend itself more to David Cronenberg's touch, but Fincher's stylised approach might be more in keeping.

And Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery were already confirmed as the screenwriters. Not a bad team.

Black Hole is the closest to perfection a comic has ever come, so they'll probably find some way to fuck it up.
sediment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first few volumes of Ultimate X-Men have that comic style that... okay, here
SD super-kawaii zany shit:Japanese art::art in first couple volumes of Ultimate X-Men:western comic art

it's just not really what I'm looking for. I mean, I appreciate it on a certain technical level - and there are some details, like Jean's red eyelashes, that I really appreciate. It just all comes together in ways that I don't favour.

Just googled Mad's art for U3, it doesn't seem so bad? I mean, it seems like he's doing his usual schtick of overemphasising certain essential attributes of specific characters to an extreme (THOR BIIIG, QUICKSILVER SVELLLTE etc) but the quality's vast improvement over Mad's past art.
Granted I haven't read it yet, so it could all turn into giant poopoo doodoo for all I know.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebrey wrote:

And Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery were already confirmed as the screenwriters. Not a bad team.

Well, lets not forget that Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery make mostly bad films. Silent Hill the movie, Beowulf, that thing Jonathon Ross's wife wrote the screenplay for spring to mind.
sediment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but Neil Gaiman is also partially responsible for Stardust and Mirror Mask!

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

To be fair, having his flights of fancy reined in by a teen body horror might prove effective.
sediment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the "teen body horror" Death one-shot from his Sandman days was really quite good IMO.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
yeah, but Neil Gaiman is also partially responsible for Stardust and Mirror Mask!

1.) Stardust is one of the films I was referring to

2.) Mirrormask is really bad right? I haven't seen it. I worked at the studio who did all the preliminary prep work on that film, but they got kicked off it halfway through and are not credited. However scenes they themselves storyboarded appear in the finished movie pretty much intact!
sediment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) I thoroughly enjoyed Stardust Sad

B) Mirror Mask could've been better, but I wouldn't say it was really bad. Maybe overhyped, in certain circles. Studios/groups getting scrapped from a project and their work being used in the end is apparently growing commonplace!

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Neil Gaiman at an animation convention a couple of years back, everyone was daring me to set his trousers on fire and I nearly did it
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Gaiman signed my hardcover copy of Anansi Boys a few years back. He didn't seem to keen to be there, but that's book signings for you, I suppose.

So, what do people here make of Jeff Smith's first issue of his new RASL?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds great! The cover is good, and I like the premise.

I read the preview however, and I was disappointed. It seems pretty generic, and he hasn't adapted his style at all since Bone! He even uses the same typeface! What!
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic how? The first issue is rife with promise. Reminds me of Matt Fraction's Casanova in parts.

And hey, the art style is classic.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic in the cinemascope panel layouts and the hard-boiled narration and all that jazz. It could be Batman! Except, it's drawn in this goopy cartoony style, like Bone towards the end. It just seems dog-tired. Visually, there wasn't anything all that interesting in there. Maybe the rest of it is better! The cover is great!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out Richard Scarry's son, Richard Scarry Jr., is also an illustrator and makes children's books in his father's style, under his father's name. That can't be very forfilling.

Children of cartoonists are never as good as their fathers! Garret Gilchrist, Kim Deitch, Richard Scarry Jr., Leo Baxendale's son, Adam Hargreaves, Sophie Crumb.

Although, out of those Kim Deitch is the only one who is famous in his own right. Maybe it's more likely that if you've only heard of them because of who their parents are, the chances are their parents are better than them. I'm sure that there are plenty of children of cartoonists who surpass their parents, it's just that since the kids are better we don't hear about the parents.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Hickman's first issue of Pax Romana is available on his official website.

You really should be reading this. He's an amazingly promising new talent. I get the same thrills out of reading him as I would an Alan Moore or Grant Morrison comic, like he's reinventing the medium and the wheel along with it.

Issue 2 hits stores this Wednesday, by the by. And the first issue of his Transhuman, a mockumentary à la This is Spinal Tap about two rival companies making radical breakthroughs in genetic engineering and the ensuing marketing wars that followed, will come out two weeks after that. It's the first of his works he isn't drawing himself, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought and read all three volumes of Uzumaki in one evening. It was pretty good. It was honestly a little creepy at times because of subtleties, but it is overall a bit hit-or-miss. When it's telling the story in an overarching format it works better (and the author moves in and out of this method). The other chapters that are more like episodes of the Twilight Zone aren't quite as strong until they become part of the overarching story. If you like creepy stuff I recommend it highly considering what else is available which is honestly creepy.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for posting that up Dracko! Pax Romana is probably the best thing I've read in many long months. I'll be hitting up my store as soon as possible for the rest of those.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author's works other than Uzumaki - the titles of which I've unfortunately forgotten - are also really good.

Just read Marvel Zombies, finally. I was very amused. Smile

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
The author's works other than Uzumaki - the titles of which I've unfortunately forgotten - are also really good.

Tomie

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Gyo. I've yet to really read any of Ito's stuff outside of Museum of Terror (which encompasses Tomie, yeah). I should do that. I know Agnes has a lot sitting around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually trying to think of Gyo's title, as that one in particular was weird as fuck.

The smell they describe? That's the flooded part of my basement, man.

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Wow, thanks for posting that up Dracko! Pax Romana is probably the best thing I've read in many long months. I'll be hitting up my store as soon as possible for the rest of those.

My understanding is he's going the Mike Mignola route and will explore the Pax Romana universe in a cycle of mini-series, this one being the first. Which honestly I find a better approach than aiming for a massive ongoing series (Which he will be doing with a project entitled Plus, of which no details have been given yet, save that it will kick off this Summer).

Here's a short piece he did for Marvel's Legion of Monsters series, titled MustDie/EatSoul:

Page one
Page two
Page three
Page four
Page five
Page six
Page seven
Page eight
Page nine
Page ten
Page eleven
Page twelve
Page thirteen

I also believe he'll be doing more Marvel Presents work, mainly a New Mutants buddy story featuring the characters Cannonball and Sunspot.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I'm sure that there are plenty of children of cartoonists who surpass their parents, it's just that since the kids are better we don't hear about the parents.

I thought of an exception! Bill Keane created Family Circus, but his son Glen Keane went on to be a famous Disney Animator. He designed Disney's Tarzan, and The Beast!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Kochalka's first Sketchbook Diaries collection. Excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: