The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduce Yourself.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does The Gamer's Quarter rock?
Why yes, it does rock.
30%
 30%  [ 21 ]
Scratch that -- it rolls.
19%
 19%  [ 13 ]
On second thought: it rocks AND rolls!
50%
 50%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 68

sarsamis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:

my guess is sar-sam-is because it seems most straightforward

Yup, that one.

Quote:
LIST ALL 100 OR BANNED

Ungh, too lazy, and that would require that I replay the game to remember everything. If I actually listed a lot of reasons though, many of them would be specific textures and sound effects I like for some reason. A lot of general things I find aesthetically pleasing about N64 games as well. Throw some nostalgia in there too because i didn't own an N4 until 2000 and for several years prior to getting my own I had watched friends play it, and more specifically Zelda much of the time, while thinking "oh man, that's so cool!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first played Ocarina of Time while I was working at Pizza Express during the school summer holidays. My life consisted of working all day in a kitchen and then at night pretending to ride my horsie around 'til three in the morning. That game lasted me a shit of a long time.

I wonder if everyone remembers what they were doing the first time they played Ocarina of Time?
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was last year. I'd play it at night when I was done with social stuff during the week. I also complained to sarsamis on AIM a lot about how it had not aged well and I was not really enjoying it. somehow I managed to play it to completion though.

I remember hating the owl more than anything else in the world and looking forward to Sundays which was the only day I didn't have to work that my friends had off.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
sarsamis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I wonder if everyone remembers what they were doing the first time they played Ocarina of Time?

I got it around Christmas break of 2000, so initially, not a whole lot besides playing it. Um, I remember I went sledding that day before I had a chance to stick it in the N64. After beating the Deku tree level I went to Arby's. School started back up when I was around half way through the game (5th grade), so it became a means of procrastinating before homework after that. I think I beat it on a Saturday. Earlier that same day I had read some Animorphs book because we were required to read on a regular basis and write book reports.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in "the Big Yellow House", a kind of semi-communal living arrangement (1 kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 1/2 floors for 7 or 8 odd people, most of whom in couples) That was a GREAT time to be introduced to 4 player split screen gaming on the N64. ZOoT was played through, I think I was mostly driving, but with semi-frequent spectators, but maybe too much reliance on the player's guide.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with spectators in a shared house is the best way to experience a Zelda game. I remember my housemates playing OoT it in university, we had a tv and N64 in the kitchen with scatter cushions and a minibar made largely out of cardboard. Everyone got really into it. Except they named Link 'Fuckboy' and the game 'Fuckboy and the Septic Pasty of Doom.' My friend Martin got really pissed off every time he opened a chest and it turned out to be full of ice.

The year after, WIND WAKER

The Tingle Tuner allowed one spectator, holding a GBA plugged into the Gamecube, to actually participate! Ho-leeeeee shit was that fun. Basically playing Wind Waker was all we did.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

A friend had an internship at SGI, who made one of the chips that was used in the N64, so he got one as a kind of a bonus the year that they came out. He had a pretty good collection of games and of course got Ocarina as soon as it was available. I played some and watched him play more of it.

When he decided to live abroad for the summer of '99, he decided that the best thing to do with all his stuff was to leave it with me, as I was pretty trustworthy. This meant that I got to spend three glorious months with the N64 and his $8,000 electrostatic speakers. Although Wave Race 64 was probably the game that got the most play, I did manage to get up to the Shadow Temple in Ocarina and had a pretty good time doing it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only tried ocarina a few years ago when i got the zelda collection. i was not impressed.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those games where you need to get a sense of its place in history to fully appreciate it. There hadn't been anything like it beforehand. I was swept up in it. This was a good 6 years after it came out, mind.

When it came out I'd never even played on an N64, so all I knew of it was what I heard from the rich kids I used to play Quake with online, describing scaling the mountain and looking at the village from the summit, or how they had a cow in their treehouse in the forest village. The way I imagined N64 graphics to look was more advanced than Playstation 3 graphics look now, so these descriptions conjured up images in my head that games are still yet to live up to.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The way I imagined N64 graphics to look was more advanced than Playstation 3 graphics look now, so these descriptions conjured up images in my head that games are still yet to live up to.

This is how I still think of Amiga graphics, only not in 3D.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally playing the copy of Master Quest I've had sitting around forever.

Holy shit, it's so much better.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Jabu Jabu's belly is fully of cows! That's all I remember about it, really. That and there was a bug in the Sand Colossus Dungeon which rendered the game uncompletable.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the cows were odd. In the Fire Temple and Underneath the Well, pretty much all of the random face-bricks in the wall are switches. The game asks you to pay attention to its mechanics. How you're slightly shorter while defending, for instance. That bomb flowers on the wall drop to the floor when lit. That a spin-attack can go through walls. And it makes use of previously unnecessary items, like Din's Fire.

I hope I don't run into the same bug. I'm really appreciating this.

-seryogin
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like super mario bros. 2. which makes it sound worth playing, even despite my apathy toward ocarina of time.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Finally getting UltraHLE to work with my fucking videocard.

Then playing it a month later in a Costco and being amazed at how much faster it was on a real machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it sounds like super mario bros. 2. which makes it sound worth playing, even despite my apathy toward ocarina of time.

I'm just as apathetic toward OoT. This doesn't go as far as SMB2. Everything but the dungeons is the same. But the dungeon puzzles are much more clever. The Fire Temple was curious because a huge portion of the dungeon was pointless except to find Gold Skulltulas. They made a few of them really diabolical to find, which makes the crummy reward for getting them either funnier or more insulting, depending on your perspective.

I don't know. It feels very clever. If only they had the guts to have made Wind Waker this hard.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing I forgot to mention. The puzzles are harder but it also throws hard enemies at you sooner. The first dungeon is filled with baby spider monsters and giant plant monsters. Jabu-jabu's belly throws like-likes at you, something that didn't show up until the Well in the original if I remember right. New minibosses. The works.

Navi is still goddamned annoying. But after playing Okami she really doesn't seem so bad.

-seryogin
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er,whats the smb2/oot connection?
sarsamis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

Lost levels was to SMB what Master Quest is to OoT?

And yeah, I thought Master Quest was pretty cool. Only felt compelled to clear it once though.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

They're games that take their predecessors and sort of turn them on their heads. They establish scenarios you can't solve (or appreciate) without in-depth knowledge of the earlier game, and occasionally use that knowledge to trick the player.

The more I play it, the more I like it. In OoT, there are a small handful of time blocks. You play the Song of Time and the disappear or move. In Master Quest, there are many areas where you're expected to play the Song of Time to make one appear. The hint is Navi flying to an area and turning green. But this can also be a hint that you need to use the scarecrow song, or hit a hidden switch. It's all context-dependent.

Crystal switches are hidden on ceilings to blend in with icicles, or hidden in the ground with only their very tops exposed. Torch-lighting puzzles are still standard, but now instead of shooting arrows through fire you're often expected to find a clever place to stand to use Din's Fire. Sometimes torches are hidden high up on ceilings, or other places you wouldn't look. You have to hookshot torches to get through barriers.

So many little annoyances are gone. Like the water-strider enemies that occupy the main hall in the water temple: gone! No need to find safe ground and kill them every time you go back into the room. There are so many more things like this. It lets you kick back and solve the puzzles.

How come nobody told me this game fucking ruled?

-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

They're games that take their predecessors and sort of turn them on their heads. They establish scenarios you can't solve (or appreciate) without in-depth knowledge of the earlier game, and occasionally use that knowledge to trick the player.

yeah. for example, the first two stages of super mario bros. 2 require you to use the bump-the-mushroom and running-slide tricks, which are little more than novelties in the original super mario bros. and it plays with player expectations constantly. (it works because the original super mario bros. was probably the most-played and most-dissected game of its time, but the barrier for entry is still pretty high.) swimmy's description of master quest reminded me of that.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

The more I play it, the more I like it. In OoT, there are a small handful of time blocks. You play the Song of Time and the disappear or move. In Master Quest, there are many areas where you're expected to play the Song of Time to make one appear. The hint is Navi flying to an area and turning green. But this can also be a hint that you need to use the scarecrow song, or hit a hidden switch. It's all context-dependent.

I *think* there are moments like this in the original, which completely passed me by on my first playthrough. In Jabu-Jabu's lake there's a scarecrow point, but I didn't register it as such the first time around: I was just baffled by Navi's occasional going green and flitting off to seemingly random locations. That's what's missing from Nintendo games these days - stuff that you can go the whole game without ever understanding. Ocarina's Hyrule is really loaded with mystery and hidden intricacies. Did anyone ever find the underground fashion show where the dekus will rate your masks? It's awesome!

P.S. My post count as I write is 1983, the year of my birth! I've posted once for every year between the birth of christ and the birth of ME, how do you like that, CLODS
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, never mind. I was posting late, and thinking it was:
Old Zelda Games -> Z:OoT and SMB->SMB2(doki doki panic version)
not ZOoT->Master Quest and SMB->SMB(Lost Levels version)

I guess the question is, how do people feel about Master Quest vs. Majora's Mask?

Maybe that's not fair, because they have different fundamental levels of ambition, and Majora's Mask achieves something (says the guy who got fed up with it after a few "days") more profound.

So, maybe SMB2(LL) is a middle ground between Master Quest and Majora's Mask in terms of playing with what came before?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're pretty different games, I'd say! Majora's mask seemed like a sort of Ocarina remix when I first played it, but actually it's got it's whole thing going on and is a very seperate piece of work to Ocarina. It's mind-bogglingly clever, that game.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

I *think* there are moments like this in the original, which completely passed me by on my first playthrough. In Jabu-Jabu's lake there's a scarecrow point, but I didn't register it as such the first time around: I was just baffled by Navi's occasional going green and flitting off to seemingly random locations.

There were scarecrow points, and I think a few of them could make your life easier, but there was only one (in the shadow temple, after the ship) that was the only way to reach a location, if I remember right. I don't remember a single hidden time block in OoT. I could be totally wrong.

Quote:
That's what's missing from Nintendo games these days - stuff that you can go the whole game without ever understanding. Ocarina's Hyrule is really loaded with mystery and hidden intricacies. Did anyone ever find the underground fashion show where the dekus will rate your masks? It's awesome!

N. . . No! I'll, uh, look for it.

Majora's Mask is, yeah, a completely different thing. The puzzles aren't this clever. They're more takes on OoT's puzzles as the different races.

-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Swimmy"]
Harveyjames wrote:

Quote:
That's what's missing from Nintendo games these days - stuff that you can go the whole game without ever understanding. Ocarina's Hyrule is really loaded with mystery and hidden intricacies. Did anyone ever find the underground fashion show where the dekus will rate your masks? It's awesome!

You've probably been there without knowing it. It's a single stage somewhere underground which is completely empty and mysterious when you first encounter it, but if you go in wearing a mask it comes to life. 'Fashion show' is kind of an exaggeration, but it's pretty neat.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

It's in the lost woods. There's this room with some trees, a piece of heart, some NPC that I can't clearly remember atm, and some grass near the back with butterflies. Those butterflies are usually flying around over the location of the grotto. You can get the last deku nut and stick upgrades there, but if you're already very far in/finished with the game then there's a glitch preventing you from getting those from them. That's probably only in the original cartridge version though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of woke up with the idea of a new Zelda game in my head. Basically, for the whole game King Ganon roams the overworld in his giant upright blue pig form, and you can attack him at any time during the quest. But it's so hard to defeat him, and the actual means of his defeat so obtuse, that gameplay revolves around gathering information and artifacts to help you take him out! Dungeon crawling is pretty much unchanged, but the items, areas you unlock as rewards for completing dungeons are all optional. The game revolves around the gathering of information.

There's even value in simply observing Ganon from afar! Oh, hey, Ganon is allergic to buttercups. Hmm, Ganon always retreats up the mountain on the night of the full moon, but why?

I guess the ending you see depends on how clean the kill is. If you attack him at the start of the game there's a chance you'll figure out how to destroy him with just your sword before he swats you like a bug, but just as much chance that the enraged ganon will have destroyed half the world by that point. You can choose to end the game by fighting ganon at any time. Maybe certain aspects of the quest are randomized, to encourage multiple playthroughs!
bleak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of turning a game on its ear, has anyone here played Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds? It requires you to know how to bombjump in LttP.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, imagine how cute that is. You're on a mountaintop with your telescope watching Ganon trotting around and he goes into a patch of buttercups. Oh! He sneezes! Hmm. When the coast is clear you enter the meadow and pick some! Perhaps they can be used offensively?

Like the Eskimo and his eternal enemy Nanook, your mission to kll Ganon becomes a relationship of love and respect. But only one of you can live!
ColecoVisionist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Brett Weiss, author of Classic Home Video Games 1972-1984. I'm a fan of the newer stuff too, though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett, what do you think of my idea for a new Zelda game detailed above?
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey I am not Brett but I think it's inspired.

And it doesn't have to be a Zelda game, so I hope you get to make it one day, somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should make it! I can't program.
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, how does it feel to be the guy on the cover of Psychonauts?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know, I take it in stride. People mistake me for Tim Schafer sometimes and I have to explain, no, I'm just the guy with the quote. But sometimes they buy me a cup of tea anyway, or a sweet cake or packet of biscuits. It's all part of the job; I'm certainly not complaining.

There's more to me than 'the Psychonauts cover guy', though. I have my own projects. I wish people were interested in what I have to offer, you know?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, for some reason -- perhaps because the North American boxart has no review quote -- I was convinced that you were asserting that Razputin's character design was somehow based on Patrick Alexander. The truth makes more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bleak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Cycle, for some reason -- perhaps because the North American boxart has no review quote -- I was convinced that you were asserting that Razputin's character design was somehow based on Patrick Alexander. The truth makes more sense.
I was thinking this as well.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was what I was aming for, but apparently Mr Alexander over here didn't want to play along >:O

Patrick I enjoyed your Bioshock fanfic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Cycle, that went right over my head.

I thought I was playing along.

Sad
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, who's Patrick?
bleak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Name's Rob, I used to run a couple of videogame websites (I do still run one of them, but it doesn't get updated that often). A friend of mine suggested checking this place out, so here I am. Looks pretty good so far.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Rob?
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dire51, obviously.

welcome, Rob!

dire51

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Who's Rob?

That would be me.

sediment wrote:
dire51, obviously.

welcome, Rob!

Thanks for the welcome, sediment. Smile

Perhaps I picked the worst time to actually start posting here... I'm in the middle of a move... but I plan to come back and actually do some posting once my move is complete.
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, no time like the present, and emanating from your current registered status is a light cone that contains the potentialities of future posts. if we could but travel forward along that cone, we'd have them.

(and possibly also flying cars, depending on how far one stumbles)

dire51

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
well, no time like the present, and emanating from your current registered status is a light cone that contains the potentialities of future posts. if we could but travel forward along that cone, we'd have them.

(and possibly also flying cars, depending on how far one stumbles)

I'm all for the flying cars, so let's proceed. Laughing
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Patrick?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick is Brian Crescente.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: