The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games, Drinking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Games, Drinking Reply with quote

So what do the girls and guys here like drinking? What do you use to refresh yourselves while gaming?

I'm a big fan of whiskies: mostly blended scotch, although a single malt from Islay never goes astray. Neat, always. Also Wild Turkey. It tastes rather fine, but I mostly drink it because it was apparently Hunter S' drink of choice. I have been making whiskey sours at home recently, and they are quite excellent, too.
Other alcholic drinks: I am a lover of white wine spritzers and, being a generic awstrayan, for a Hard Earned Thirst™ I enjoy the occasional Big Cold Beer™.

I also consume Perrier in vast quantities (especially on the couch), and dearly love Tab, although I know of only one place which sells it here.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol: Well, this depends. If I am at a decent bar and they have it on tap, Guinness. Also, vodka shots. These are sorta my fall back drinks in bars. There is a bar close by that has Strongbow on tap, and that is also excellent.

At home, it is a variety of beers that tend to show up in my fridge. Those often include, but are not limited to: Red Stripe, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Killians, and something cheap. Also, I have discovered a love of a nice Gin and Tonic, which is easy and cheap enough to be a home drink.

I don't drink too often while gaming though, unless it is in some sort of social setting, that is, with friends and playing something terrible.

Otherwise, I drink a variety of diet pops, a lot of water, milk, and that is about it.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drink, haven't ever. Tried it in 2000-or-so a couple of times, and was violently ill every single time. Lots of vomiting involved. Since then I decided it probably wasn't worth trying again, and haven't since! Now I am richer and more sober than my friends, and I like it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Don't drink, haven't ever. Tried it in 2000-or-so a couple of times, and was violently ill every single time. Lots of vomiting involved. Since then I decided it probably wasn't worth trying again, and haven't since! Now I am richer and more sober than my friends, and I like it that way.

Probably wise of you, but then again there is a distinction between enjoying the odd drink and drinking too much. Was the chundering a result of drinking too much?

And what about non-alcoholic drinks? Speaking of which, I used to love chocolate nesquik, but then it seemed they changed the recipe (they changed the label to say natural flavours & colourings), and now it tastes like they incinerate the cocoa before they put it in.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ice-cold Sir Schlitz is enough to keep me adventurin' one more time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink water plain through a brita pitcher, tea (celestial seasonings and bigelow), and coffee (community). Whenever I drink coke, I tend to drink diet coke, since the only people I know with coke are my parents and that's almost all they ever have. I got sick of coke zero some time back, and it's very rare that I drink a regular coke - it's quite a treat when I do, though!

I don't drink any alcoholic drinks. A few years back I dabbled here and there, and I recall enjoying labatt blue beer.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captaincabinets wrote:
Probably wise of you, but then again there is a distinction between enjoying the odd drink and drinking too much. Was the chundering a result of drinking too much?

And what about non-alcoholic drinks? Speaking of which, I used to love chocolate nesquik, but then it seemed they changed the recipe (they changed the label to say natural flavours & colourings), and now it tastes like they incinerate the cocoa before they put it in.

Nope! It was actually the merest drop of alcohol, which is why I thought I might actually have something wrong with me. I have been violently ill after half a can of Victoria Bitter, and also after the tiniest sip of Bailey's Irish Cream, and Canadian Club respectively. Maybe it was just nerves, but I can't be bothered changing now.

As for in-game refreshment, I can't go past Bundaberg Ginger Beer, a tall Milo for those long hauls, or a delicious iced tea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
An ice-cold Sir Schlitz is enough to keep me adventurin' one more time.

I used to drink those until my pet mosquito escaped his terrarium and got at them.
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been violently ill after half a can of Victoria Bitter

I don't blame you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys are going to paint pictures of yourselves drinking yourselves into oblivion, alone, while playing computer games, you're going to make me feel sad.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alexander wrote:
I have been violently ill after half a can of Victoria Bitter

I don't blame you.

It's better than Carlton Draught. There, I said it.

Although neither of them are really going around winning the "Eminently Drinkable" award.

Harveyjames: No! I was just curious about what people drink in general. The only oblivion gaming I've ever done was playing Max Payne 2 at a friend's house. I had almost no idea what was going on, but by golly I knew where the quickload key was.
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before a couple of years ago, I only touched alcohol once, and had sort of a bad experience there. In my efforts toward sophistication, though, a while back I started exploring wine. And I've found a lot of general trends that I enjoy there. Mostly reds. Too tired and not interested in being more specific. Through this, I've also eliminated my aversion to other kinds of alcohol -- though I don't tend to actively seek them out.

What puzzles me a bit is that I don't really get drunk in the normal sense. All that alcohol really does is make me far less self-reflective and obsessive. It's easier to just let things slide and move on. When I approach my limit, I'm pretty much functioning on the same level as a normal, sober, well-adjusted person.

So it can be constructive sometimes, if I'm thinking way too much. Which is usually.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drink tea. and water, but not since i moved to plano where the tap is full of algae slime. i bought a brita filter but i can't unscrew the thing from the faucet to replace it.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: brita - use a simple adjustable head wrench* to remove the diffuser cap. make sure you have a rubber washer handy to fit in there in case the kit didn't come with one. don't overtighten the filter because they are generally made out of plastic and can crack if you overdo it.

personally i've found the on tap filters don't last as long as the pitcher kind.

Quote:
All that alcohol really does is make me far less self-reflective and obsessive. It's easier to just let things slide and move on.

that *is* getting drunk. or do you mean you don't throw garbage cans at people or something more dramatic?

*(or spanner, if you're brit, though i don't understand why they call wrenches spanners because they don't actually span anything)
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm boozin' while gaming (great for LAN parties), I like beer. I like local micro-brew beer the best, which includes, but is not limited to, Mill Street (organic, tankhouse ale, or coffee porter) and Steamwhistle. For more worldly flavours, I go for Amsterdam Blonde or Sapporo (because a giant can of beer is like Christmas everyday).

If it's GO TIME, a few stiff rum 'n' Cokes will take me from Guitar Hero to complete loser on the axe. This is usually the fault of my alcoholic friend, and is often followed by much bleary-eyed political commentary and yelling.

If I'm being a good boy, I just drink water or tea—either green or harsh black, depending on the time of day.
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee.

I actually seem to lose energy from it, but I love it anyway.

Beer. Yes. Plenty of it.

Old Milwaukee, but definitely not Milwaukee's Best. yuck.

Guiness, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Dominion Lager, Red Tail, Sam Adam's (too hoppy, though), Harp, Anchor Steam, etc. for richness among the pisswater.

Yuengling.

Wine gives me heartburn.

Hard liquor? Love the taste/smell and the delightful warm feeling, but it gives me even worse heartburn than wine.

Only takes one drink of either for it to set in.

Favorite drink: ice water.

2 beers is great for Counterstrike.
Goes downhill from there.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as beer goes, Julius Echter is about as good as it gets.

I rarely mix my liquor. This makes me bourbon person, I guess. Scotch too. I avoid vodka (unless I really need a drink and it's all that's around) because it's boring.

As for, uh, normal drinks. I completely gave up caffeine and soft drinks, but I forget about that every time I find somewhere that sells Peach Nehi.

I don't typically get drunk and play videogames.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love water, coffee and the occasional cup of tea. And seltzer! I down one of those big bottles within thirty minutes.

As far as alcohol goes, the only thing I generally touch is red wine. One or two glasses with dinner on a weekend generally feels really good. On holidays I have a mixed drink--gin and tonic, vodka and cranberry juice, or a margarita. Yep, girly drinks.

The only beer I've had is Corona and Beck's. Both are good in their own way.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink coffee, water, and trader joe's dixie peach juice like it's my job. I will drink any of these in large amounts if I'm playing a game.

If I'm drinking alcohol, odds are I'm not playing a game. Terrapin (Athens, GA) is my favorite brewery.

I like how in Philadelphia if you want to order a Yuengling, you just tell the bartender, "Lager."
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i drink tea. and water, but not since i moved to plano where the tap is full of algae slime. i bought a brita filter but i can't unscrew the thing from the faucet to replace it.

you know after you boil the water you kill all that algae right, you can still have DELICIOUS TEA

when im gaming i drink um, whatever is in the fridge? i love perrier (SHUT UP I HATE WATER) and juice and juice and juice

when i go out to get my drank on or when we're having parties i love tokyo teas and singapore SLINGSb ut i like to call them singapore SLAAAANGS

god i love vodka too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
I love water, coffee and the occasional cup of tea. And seltzer! I down one of those big bottles within thirty minutes.

As far as alcohol goes, the only thing I generally touch is red wine. One or two glasses with dinner on a weekend generally feels really good. On holidays I have a mixed drink--gin and tonic, vodka and cranberry juice, or a margarita. Yep, girly drinks.

The only beer I've had is Corona and Beck's. Both are good in their own way.

youre so classy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, thank you Daphny.

What's in a Tokyo Tea and a Singapore Sling?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokyo tea is god lemme remember (im not the one who makes the drinks)

shot of vodka, shot of tequila, shot of rum, shot of gin, triple sec, and two or three shots of midori
when i make them at HOME

i use stoli/ketel one vodka, herradura silver tequila, i forget which rum i used, i used to use 10cane but i replaced it with something cheaper that tastes delicious, tanqueray gin, and instead of triple sec i use cointreau to make it the strongest drink in the universe

I THINK a singapore sling is brandy rasperrry and tonic water but im not surururrueeee i havent had one in a while
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm just crashing w/ a night of gaming, a nice cold Guinness Draught from a can.

Going out... kinda partial to whisky sours. Which it turns out was my grandmother's drink, though I started w/ em after Garrison Keillor wrote about 'em. ("I'm not saying my mother was alcoholic," my aunt told me, "but I was 16 before I found out peppermint schnapps aren't widely considered a cure for menstrual cramps")
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis, a gin and tonic is not a girly drink at all, soldier.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god this thread really makes me want a apricot hefeweisen (CANT SPELLW HATEVER)
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
that *is* getting drunk. or do you mean you don't throw garbage cans at people or something more dramatic?

I mean the way I see other people acting. It seems like if Agnes takes two sips of Bailey's she starts rolling around and giggling and slurring and saying all manner of strange things.

Whereas I just... don't worry so much, and get on with things.

Lack of lucidity versus in some ways an enhanced lucidity.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different people get drunk differntly

some people get angry, some peopel cry, i just get louder and more enegetic

which is... its something to be seen
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i just get louder and more enegetic

yes I do this as well and so us getting hammered together would be damn funny.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMMUNIST PARTY IN MAY WILL BE BERZERK
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean the way I see other people acting. It seems like if Agnes takes two sips of Bailey's she starts rolling around and giggling and slurring and saying all manner of strange things.

not everyone gets all giggle circus, to be sure.

guiness makes for great chili, btw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not especially picky, except i hate the taste of Coke unless it's flat (???).

in terms of alcohols, i prefer mead, red and white wines, and vodka in very moderate amounts. in that order. i mean, i'll drink beer but it's usually pretty weak stuff (lager aside) so if i'm drinking i usually skip to stronger stuff.

i really enjoy playing games like System Shock while sauced fyi.

bleak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hundreds and hundreds of cans of Mountain Dew.

In all seriousness, it all depends on what mood I'm in. Usually I'm fine with juice, water, or soda. Sometimes I like to drink a bit in which case I'll have an alcoholic beverage. I'm not picky about my booze though, so when I purchase a beverage for myself it's usually crap, and cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as "gaming drinks" go, White Russians are fairly relaxing on that front. Although, they definitely don't improve ones game any (especially if you replace the traditional cream with Bailey's). Or rum and cokes. Or beer. Those make up the usual trend.

Regarding beer, most of my favourites come from local Quebecois breweries - especially from Unibroue (Fin du Monde and Maudite being top of that list). I'm also a fan of Leffe, Guinness (especially snakebites and black & tans) and most red beers.

Arlie and I also drink quite a bit of wine... always red. Neither she nor I can really stomache white wine, it is just too sweet. When we have money, we spend it generally on wines produced by Masi, as they are always extremely tasty.

As far as non-alcoholic drinks go, we make fresh juice on a daily basis (fruit and vegetable), which tend to be delicious (although we've made a few less than tasty concoctions by accident). Other than that, usually water, pop (Coca-Cola or Sprite) and coffee (dark roast, often spiked).
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew two guys in high school that would get drunk off NyQuil and play Mortal Kombat after class everyday. Fun dudes. Didn't join in on that, though I did partake in the baloney-ing on the weekends (that's when you throw baloney slices at cars late at night, and in the morning, when folks remove them, it takes off the paint... sounds fucked up, but we always chose targets and never did it randomly... and nothing was funnier that seeing the pick up trucki belonging to some asswipe whom you hate with perfect silver circles on the side of his date-rape machine).
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
As far as non-alcoholic drinks go, we make fresh juice on a daily basis (fruit and vegetable), which tend to be delicious (although we've made a few less than tasty concoctions by accident).

Ah! Man, that's awesome. I was making fresh orange juice for a while there, but I realized I was burning through them too quickly. Fresh juice is delicious. Do you do it by hand ever, or is there a blender for all? I was doing the orange juice by hand, and when I worked I made lemonade by hand - messy as hell, but worth it - though I'm not opposed to other, more time efficient, methods.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Ah! Man, that's awesome. I was making fresh orange juice for a while there, but I realized I was burning through them too quickly. Fresh juice is delicious. Do you do it by hand ever, or is there a blender for all?

You do use up a TON of fruit each time but the trick is: only buy fruit that is in season/on-sale. And buy a ton of it. Pretty much half our fridge is dedicated to random fruits and vegetables, most explicitly purchased for juicing. I don't know if they have these where you are, but in most of the "lower class" grocery stores around here, they have discount racks where you can buy huge bags of still-good produce for 99 cents. We stock up on those each visit.

As far as the actual process is concerned, we have one of these, which is glorious. You have to peel things with tough rinds (like oranges and bananas) but it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to make a litre of juice. Definitely a worthy (and healthy) purchase. Daiquiris made with fresh fruit juice and good rum? Heaven.
digi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I can say I really enjoy getting drunk now and then. There are limits, of course, though I usually find that I'm pretty high-functioning in the noggin all considered. Like Aderack kinda, it becomes more of an introvert-->extrovert thing. I wouldn't say I'm much of a drinker though. I mean most times I'd much more prefer nice people and a nice place to hang out that usually does the same trick but without me putting my foot in my mouth.

I like white wines and some reds [The Longest Journey]. A Gin [Bombay Sapphire] and Tonic [Schweppes] is "my" drink I think, though [Chrono Trigger]. Various other things are all good, though with the exception of a G&T I pretty much just go for fruity things I guess.

Incidentally, I got to play Mother 3 and drink a Manhattan at the same time recently. I'd recommend it.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really, really fond of root beer. I've just gotta say that. And weird sodas in general. I like Moxie, celery soda...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
As far as the actual process is concerned, we have one of these, which is glorious. You have to peel things with tough rinds (like oranges and bananas) but it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to make a litre of juice. Definitely a worthy (and healthy) purchase. Daiquiris made with fresh fruit juice and good rum? Heaven.

Oh sweet mother ... look at it. That's the most confident looking juicer I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, we don't have bag o fruits and veggies around here. At that price, I think I would buy every bag in sight. $1? Yes!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Hundreds and hundreds of cans of Mountain Dew.

They don't do Mountain Dew over here. There was a trial run like 15 years ago but I guess not enough people bought it. I loved it though!

I sometimes drink tea while I'm playing games. That's my contribution to the thread.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tea. And cocoa.

Mind tea. Oolong. Various black blends. Various herbal things. Rooibos.

Root beer floats! I also just discovered the milkshake a couple of years ago.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack do you like that brainwash soda? i love that stuff

also dess got me into china cola

oh i also love THUMS UP its the indian coke and its curry flavored! a hint of curry! delicious! so good! and its like 60 cents a bottle and it comes in awesome glass bottles
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore China Cola (in all its variants I have tried!). Don't know what you mean about this Brainwash business.

There's a place down the street that used to carry China and Virgil's root beer, but no more. :(
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainwash, its this weird spicy blue soda that tastes like nothing ive ever tasted in a soda, its made by teh people that make black lemonade and stuff

they have it at beverages and more SOMETIMES but its hard to find
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink a lot of tea in general. I also enjoy alcohol, but feel too hung over to discuss it right now.

I don't drink soda, shit is terrible.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'd be suprised I'm sitting there, playing Pro Evo, and chugging down whatever protein shake is at hand. A bit incogrous, but there you go!
I only ever drink alcohol when I'm out, because if it gets to the point where I'm buying it to have it at home, then I'll go broke.
Other than the shakes, I like to drink ice cold water, ice tea or maybe juice while gaming.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase "a Protein Shake" always makes me snicker.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im drunk and i just trie dto play donpachi and strikers 1945 pt II that was a bad idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: