The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am i missing the no more heroes thread or something

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Am i missing the no more heroes thread or something Reply with quote

look i looked for it and i cant find it, but i was posting in the portal combat thread about how i want more funny games

no more heroes is a funny game!

its also exciting and bloody and immature and violent and over the top and i can hardly contain myself from screaming each time i play it

are any of you playing no more heroes? please talk in your gamerly quarterly ways about the game

i mean, a game where god you can pet your kitty and feed your kitty and he goes "here sweetie" when he hands her the food and then you go and cut people in half? god its so good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I heard that the Japanese version has coins and the red-blooded American version has red blood -- IS THIS TRUE AND ACCURATE?? If so, I guess I now need to decide if I like coins or blood better. Normally it would be blood, no contest, but these are videogame coins, which are special.

What is a boy to do?

(The boy is me.)
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America has blood and coins. So we all win.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coins for blood?

Why not combine the versions and have nipples for blood?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought the game was super brilliant and quite clever with a bit of irritating gameplay items. Now, I'm pretty much convinced that certain things were either altered for the US version and then not tested, or just not properly tested. I was playing just fine and hadn't died once, then I tried to rank 8th and it was like hitting a brick wall of difficulty. It was harder than anything I encountered in God Hand, and not really in a good way.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lasa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shump section is pretty awesome.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Alexander wrote:
Hello everyone, I heard that the Japanese version has coins and the red-blooded American version has red blood -- IS THIS TRUE AND ACCURATE?? If so, I guess I now need to decide if I like coins or blood better. Normally it would be blood, no contest, but these are videogame coins, which are special.

What is a boy to do?

(The boy is me.)

Just a heads up, us Australians are getting the blood-less version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe wins because we gets pixels and coins. Blood is over-rated!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're getting the same version as Europe!

Personally, I wanted blood. I ALWAYS want blood.

Oh well...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I was playing just fine and hadn't died once, then I tried to rank 8th and it was like hitting a brick wall of difficulty. It was harder than anything I encountered in God Hand, and not really in a good way.

Either you're really good at God Hand, or you haven't played it in a long time and forgot how hard some of the bosses were, or maybe you're just doing something wrong on the rank 8 battle, or maybe I was playing God Hand wrong (I believe this regardless because by the end of the game it was taking insanely long to do noticeable damage to anyone). Well, for whatever reason, I have a very difficult time believing that. I beat God Hand on normal, did most of the battle arenas, and played a bit of hard mode, and found most of it to be far more difficult that that rank 8 battle. I mean, that battle wasn't easy by far, but it took me half the tries a lot of battles in God Hand did. If you're patient in that battle, she leaves some ripe windows of opportunity. You just have to be sure to avoid the one time she'll do several sonic blades in a row.

I think I missed some of the cards in earlier missions (doing the side quest junk before the rank 3 battle currently). Does this mean I'm screwed and will never be able to unlock some awesome secret? If so, Crying or Very sad
Lasa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a New Game + sarsamis! Everything will be all right.
Cossix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the 8th battle is kind of out of whack, really. Shinobu is way harder than the bosses that come after her (at least the ones I've played so far, I'm about to start the Rank 5 fight). Now that I've figured out how to fight bosses a bit more effectively, they're all getting a lot easier. I think the problem is maybe the rank 8 boss is the boss where you start having to learn how to dodge at the exact right moment and when to stun bosses and it just kind of dumps them both on you at the same time.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossix wrote:
Yeah the 8th battle is kind of out of whack, really. Shinobu is way harder than the bosses that come after her (at least the ones I've played so far, I'm about to start the Rank 5 fight).

I don't understand this. The Shinobu fight was tricky, yes, but I never died in a boss fight until the Rank 6 battle. For that matter, I may have only finished Rank 8 with one point of health left, yet the subsequent Rank 7 fight seemed a lot harder at the end.

I didn't enjoy Killer 7, but I admired it. I'm enjoying this game, but I don't think I admire it at all.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man i love how travis is a big douchebag womanizer hes the loneliest otaku
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, the stance system is just a big bowl of stupid. It's rock-paper-scissors without the scissors, and rock beats paper if you play it first. (Which you can do, since you're button-mashing.)
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also everyone is allowed to have the same voice, this does not detractfrom teh game, since they are all goons

AGHHHH MY SPLEEN!

HES OVER HERE

music, i wil make a techno remix
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarsamis wrote:
Either you're really good at God Hand, or you haven't played it in a long time and forgot how hard some of the bosses were, or maybe you're just doing something wrong on the rank 8 battle, or maybe I was playing God Hand wrong (I believe this regardless because by the end of the game it was taking insanely long to do noticeable damage to anyone).

No, I've played GH recently enough. The most replays I've ever had to do was only about a dozen on one of those devil challenges. I spent over two hours on Shinobu and over two dozen replays. She just isn't properly tested/balanced, that's all. There were moments where there was no damn good reason she should have been blocking my attacks and yet I couldn't hit her. I was running into those columns left and right because the clipping for them is set so far away from the actual polygons.

Also, I'm playing on the harder difficulty option (Sweet, not mild) if this makes any difference from what other people are saying.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought sweet was easier?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and god shinobu just sucks, shes a dumb cunt and her hair is dumb and they should have taken her out of the game

i want to take her out of the game with my fists this girl oh god i just hate everytrhing about her and her stupid lines and her stupid voice and god SHUT UP AND DIE ALREADY
sarsamis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I really despise the way the MK-II pushes enemies away after you first hit them. It just leaves you open to be attacked and it screws me over a lot in the free fight missions that I used to get through rather confidently with the first version of the tsuba-something (my television is old and the text is blurry in the menu)

daphaknee wrote:
i thought sweet was easier?

It is. Sweet has this auto-guard thing enabled.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I'm playing on Mild. Either way.

sarsamis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beat it with the "view real ending" option selected, so I fought Henry in the end. It was a cool fight, but a bit too easy once you get how to counter him. Well really, it's kind of an easy game in general once you get how the countering works. Too bad I had been ignoring it until the 2nd rank fight :/ . I was always dodging attacks. It never really occurred to me that I was supposed to block them and move the control stick to the side to slide around them all slow-mo and do a bitching combo. Does anyone know what the ending's like if you don't select the "view real ending" option?

Last edited by sarsamis on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lasa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinobu killed me once when I was playing (On mild).
I died about ten times fighting Elvis for the second time.

Are you some sort of God hand... god Shaper?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinobu killed me about two dozen times or more. The most I ever had to redo a section in God Hand was half a dozen or less (excluding the one devil sequence on the last section which took me about a dozen tries). I only had to fight Elvis 4 times in his second form (perhaps less), the first one took about ten or so.

My wife was watching all two+ hours of the Shinobu fight. I think my game is malfunctional or something if you guys are doing it that much easier. I mean there were a lot of instances where it seemed like I should have been able to hit/damage her but was unable to because she was magically blocking.

Also, 85% of the overworld stuff is very needless and pointless in this game. It feels shoved in there without as much care as the rest of the elements of the game have. Killer 7 is a much better overall experience and this makes me want to replay it.

boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
My wife was watching all two+ hours of the Shinobu fight. I think my game is malfunctional or something if you guys are doing it that much easier. I mean there were a lot of instances where it seemed like I should have been able to hit/damage her but was unable to because she was magically blocking.

The bosses do this a lot, unfortunately. Shinobu's whole point seems to be to teach you not to be greedy when attacking the bosses. Take your two or three hits then back off, because if you don't, well, hell, they are going to kill you. The game has some fun with this after it teaches it to you.

The whole overworld thing is a bit odd, because it kinda annoys me sometimes, but then I kick open a bunch of dumpsters and find some shirts and I am all happy again.

I really want to play Killer 7 again, though. And maybe some other Grasshopper stuff, but Killer 7 definitely.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lame over world fluff aside, I think the God of Play had a lot more influence on NMH than Killer 7. I thought Killer 7 was a better experience overall, but it's one I'm not in a hurry to play through again. Maybe watch clips from it on youtube every now and then, sure, but it's not inherently fun. Killer 7 had far more videowatch than gameplay for me, whereas NMH was the exact opposite.

So... (spoilers in white beyond this point)

On a scale of 1-10, how bullshit was the whole family thing in the end? I'd say around a 9. A perfect 10 bullshit ending would have been if it were all a dream, or Travis randomly gets struck by lightning and dies, or something. I liked both of those battles, but it didn't really matter at all that they were your siblings.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...spoilery question and really spoilery other stuff

how the fuck do you beat the fucking fight with Henry? I can't do anywhere near enough damage to him?

Also, I thought the ending was perfect, actually, though I want a transcription of the whole speech from Sis, as what I caught of it was really funny, as was the speech before it. It was like the game which was entirely too self conscious the whole time said WHOA YEAH I AM REALLY SELF CONSCIOUS NOW FUCK YOU HAHAHAHA. I don't know, I had the same smile on my face the whole time, so it was all good with me.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind the question, and yay for the full end.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just didn't feel as though there was enough of a lead up for the complete "lol, game" ending. I mean, there was always a little bit of that 4th wall breaking, or w/e you want to call it, in there, but the game felt too coherent most of the time to just end with a last minute, cop out, plot device like that. Perhaps if the disregard for everything preceding it and the utter "lol, game" of it all had been a bit more creative, funny, etc. I would have liked it more, but that whole sister thing was just "oh, ok." The real ending was pretty good though regardless, and that end bit with them running together whilst clashing and discussing how things would unfold from there was great too, but Henry being your brother and Sylvia being his wife was just completely irrelevant. The unexpected plot devices they were discussing could have been anything else, and would have still worked, and it would have probably been better.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole thing works better taking all of Suda's games into account. He always has that surprise twist at the ending. In this game, he knew everyone would be expecting the big twist and reveal, and so he basically disarmed the whole thing, just throwing out garbage there because he didn't want to do that. I thought it was really hilarious, actually. It was a big "well you want the surprise, here it is, isn't it dumb? hahaha". I almost saw it as an attempt to avoid becoming a M. Night Shamalyanadingdong, and being known only for ridiculous ends that change everything. The last mission sets itself up to do that, and then intentionally changes jack shit. Sylvia is crazy? well no shit. There is no UAA? Yeah, of course not. It is like that phone conversation with her mom is saying that this is all just a stupid game and enjoy it as such and laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: