The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's make an Exquisite Corpse level in Knytt Stories.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Let's make an Exquisite Corpse level in Knytt Stories. Reply with quote

Let's make a Knytt Stories level, exquisite corpse-style.

(Thanks to Zaratustra for the awesome idea.)

Guidelines:

* Version is 1.1.0 r2.
* Style or difficulty will be determined by the individual authors.
* To participate, announce your intention in this thread, along with the item you'd like to include in your area. (The items are Running, Climb Walls, Double Jump, High Jump, See Invisible, Radar, Umbrella, Hologram, Red Key, Yellow Key, Blue Key, and Purple Key.)
* When it is your turn, you will receive the map with only the edge rooms from other players visible. You can build as little or as much as you like, provided you finish it in one week or less.
* Be sure to be nice and leave some exits from the area for the next player.
* Fancy scripting is OK. If you want to use flags, I'll make a note of what flags players before you used. If you don't know what flags are, don't worry about it.
* Be careful with save points. Just because the player can get into your area doesn't mean she necessarily has all the items from previous areas. In such circumstances, a thoughtless save point might make the game unwinnable. It's wise to only include a save point in your section after you've required the player to overcome an obstacle that he can't pass without all the previous items.
* When you're done, send the map to Intentionally Wrong so he can work his magic hiding skills on the map. (jalove AT gmail DOT com)

List of players:
1. Intentionally Wrong - Running
2. JasonMoses - Climb Walls
3. Boojiboy - Double Jump
4. Parkbench - ???
5. Six - High Jump

Last edited by Intentionally Wrong on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 am; edited 7 times in total
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibs on wall climbing.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give this a couple more days. If we get a few more respondents, we could just double up on items. If not, I'll cross-post this thread to Select Button.
Six

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually tried the editor yet, but I'm in! I'll do the High Jump.
parkbench

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played Knytt Stories yet and I'm going to do so to participate in this thread.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you figured out what item you'd like, Parkbench? Anybody else interested?
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give this a shot for something, but someone else pick an item for me to use.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five players! Well! I guess you guys can pick a second item for your areas, then.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't really have to include all those items, though, do we? I mean, it's a nice way to maintain a sense of progression through what will otherwise most likely be a disjointed traipse, but as you mention, it means we'll have to be a lot more careful as to area design. And since the layout will end up more or less linear (or at least concentric) in nature, a player overlooking an item in an earlier area might find their progress blocked later on. And backtracking usually isn't fun!

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have lots of stuff, but I am saying it might not be a bad idea to keep things either more conservative or more contained. (One possibility, of course, is to force the player to acquire items that might be needed before they can progress further.)
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
We don't really have to include all those items, though, do we? I mean, it's a nice way to maintain a sense of progression through what will otherwise most likely be a disjointed traipse, but as you mention, it means we'll have to be a lot more careful as to area design. And since the layout will end up more or less linear (or at least concentric) in nature, a player overlooking an item in an earlier area might find their progress blocked later on. And backtracking usually isn't fun!

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have lots of stuff, but I am saying it might not be a bad idea to keep things either more conservative or more contained. (One possibility, of course, is to force the player to acquire items that might be needed before they can progress further.)

No, it's not necessary. I suppose you could read my harping on the item distribution as a suggestion that I was expecting some sort of lock-and-key progression through the final level, but that's not the case at all. I mean, if you guys want to do that with your segments, that's entirely your prerogative. I'm not trying to steer you either way; I'm just trying to present options.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the level to Jason.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending the level to Six now.

A note on the current game state: it is impossible to get the Climb Walls ability until after the High Jump and Double Jump abilities have been acquired. If one of those two power-ups appear in your section of the map, you'll want to make sure it's possible to access that power up and get back to the entrance without needing to climb walls.

(If the final level's too messed up I'll add a room near the start where you can pick up one or more of the necessary abilities, if you just want to explore the inhospitable landscape.)
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circumstances are forcing Six to wait until later for his part of the level, so I'm passing the torch to Booji for now.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you emailing it to me or what? I just want to know where to look for it.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find your e-mail address, man. PM me or something.

EDIT: man, never mind. I'll MEGAUPLOAD it. Check your PMs here.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it, and am working on it, but accidentally totally fucked up where the start location is, so you will need to fix that. otherwise, things go well and I am figuring some fun stuff out so this should be decent, i hope.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no trouble if you accidentally change anything on the level I sent you; I've got a second level that contains everybody's contributions so far, and I just copy your rooms across to that when you're finished. You can't mess anything up my changing that one.
parkbench

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay! so i'm getting on this, and i've decided to do umbrella.

or...is there any way someone before me could do umbrella? i've got som.e good ideas for an umbrella-based level.

but either way.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either one would work. Chris has the level now, and I thought I heard him say he was making good progress, but I don't know; it's been a couple weeks.

(Incidentally, the guy who I'm ripping this idea off from just posted the finished product of the first Exquisite Knorpse project. Here it is, if you'd like to try it; it's beautiful, but it's a little bit schizophrenic, and pretty difficult in spots. The area I contributed is the section leading down to the Climb Walls upgrade.)
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should hopefully get my part in this done this weekend guys. Sorry for the hold up. I kinda got a job in there, what the heck?
parkbench

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's coming along nicely. I have two major questions though:

1) I'm having trouble implementing baddies. Any that "crawl" end up crawling onto thin-air eventually, so I've been forced to use either floating enemies or use crawlers on screens where theres just a completely flat surface. I've read that they'll stop to a layer 3 block, but how am i supposed to do that invisibly and without interrupting the structure of the rest of the screen?

2) How big should I be making this? I'm not sure how hog wild I should be going. I'm branching out and if I don't curb myself soon I'll go out of control. Razz
parkbench

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys Sad
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened, Chris. Sad

I'll send it on to you, Parkbench.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: