The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Import Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Import Questions Reply with quote

If you had a Japanese PS2, which games would you import?

The obvious ones, from my perspective, would be:

Samurai Spirits Tenka
Super Robot Wars Alpha3
Melty Blood
Accent Core
Hokuto no Ken
Bakumatsu no Roman Collection
Berserk
Arcana Heart?

What do the rest of you think?

Also, can anyone explain Higurashi no Koro no Naki ni to me?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Basically 'Higurashi no Koro no Naki' means 'The Knights Who Say'.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I was asking a SERIOUS question.

2) Harvey James, just because you're on the internets doesn't mean that bad jokes are okay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only names on your lsit i recognize are fighting games, which i am bad at. my ps2 import list is pretty small. i have zombie versus ambulance, which is a) crazy taxi with zombies and b) stupidly awesome. espgaluda just arrived today from a trade on the shmups forum, and probably needs no introduction.

the only unknown in my collection is otostaz, a fun little boardgame that i couldn't imagine being practical or playable using physical pieces. which is exactly how videogame boardgames should work, i think. you have a rectangular grid that scrolls slowly off the screen, and water, forest and land pieces to place on it. if an empty land piece has a forest and water piece adjacent, a little house springs up. if an empty land piece has two little houses next to it, a bigger house pops up. this goes six steps up until you have little tokyo towers popping out of the ground. the gameplay is fast and gets surprisingly difficult, and there's a great little paper cutout style to everything. also: big band music and english language options.

there are a fair number of games that i would like to import but haven't yet. chain dive looks like a pretty interesting 2d platformer making heavy use of a grappling hook, although like most of my purchases i'm purposely not looking into it much before buying it. coloball 2002 is some kind of nutty battle sports game that came recommended from some folks i know. genshi no kotoba is probably my most wanted; the game has you stuck on an alien planet where you have to piece together the language the locals speak. in effect, the language barrier itself is the game.

if you have the stomach for importing jrpgs and playing them in a foreign language i'd suggest venus & braves or tear ring saga, i guess. based on your title you may have already obtained these.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a japanese ps2, and i've imported taito arcade memories volumes one and two. i've imported a lot more than that, but those are the ones that everyone should have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fighter I think you're missing is Tobal 2nd. For RPGs, I second the Tear Ring Saga nomination, but read an FAQ beforehand and be prepared to hurt. The early Atelier series games (Marie and Elie) are easy and fun and you can find them as a bundle deal. Khamrai is also kind of a hoot, although I wouldn't spend too much money on it. Finally, Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke is supposed to be great, but I think it's gotten really hard to find.

Higurashi is probably not worth your time. Plus, if your Japanese is good enough to be reading visual novels, you might as well read something that's not horrible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: