The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games where failure is inevitable. A list thread? SPOILERS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Games where failure is inevitable. A list thread? SPOILERS Reply with quote

* Call of Cthullu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Upen discovering what he actually is, and after all that he has witnessed, your character can no longer face life and offs himself.

* Flood

After 42 levels, you, as the final member of your species, finally emerge from the sewers for the first time in your life and are immediately squashed by a car.

* Tetris

You just can't win.

KEEP 'EM COMING.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitch, you stole my Tetris answer!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you're talking about, good sir. I don't need to listen to these WILD accusations!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Diablo!

Congrats on killing the big guy - now shove his soulstone in your forehead and go on to become him!

Awesome ending.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planescape: torment.

i never got past the very first puzzle in dark corners of the earth. i should go back sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among classic games, it's kind of a trope, too numerous to list.

Even Pac-Man ends in a crush of a mangled maze and distorted characters, like the Pac version of "The Matrix" just started breaking down.

Or well... maybe there's a distinction to be made, games that in (rough) theory could be played forever but in practice (and maybe in theory depending on how well they're programmed) you're going to run out of lives, and games that have a distinct ending, but it's a downer, and not allowing the player's character to reach their stated goals.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many of these examples just have negative endings - in terms of play, these are optimal endings, victory conditions. these are the resolutions of the story, they just happen to resolve badly for the protagonist (though not necessarily for the player, who has just "completed" the game).

as for arcade games that can only end in failure, i think missile command does the most with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darkness fits within these lines.

Spoilers!

Not only do you commit suicide (TWICE!) but at the end of the game, The Darkness helps you get your final revenge ONLY IF you allow it to gain full control over you, the very thing you'd been fighting against the entire game!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missle command is a good example, but almost every arcade game would have to be included because they almost all eventually end by the player giving up, having been quartered (or half dollared) out of commission.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
That is highly debatable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a game - Galactic Assault, I believe - where the last level is when you find out that an alien tearing through the galaxy is actually the universe's reaction to a parasitic organism (humans) and the final message from an ancient race is basically 'We all fucked up.' The End.
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
dhex wrote:

In the end you have to fulfill your Blood Contract by serving in the Blood Wars.
That's the field of battle you see the Nameless One joining in the last cutscene.

Who knows, he could survive.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he's paying his fair share for once, to be sure.

but most people wouldn't consider an eternal damnation war a win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
dhex wrote:

In the end you have to fulfill your Blood Contract by serving in the Blood Wars.
That's the field of battle you see the Nameless One joining in the last cutscene.

If you'll recall, in the game it goes over ( think it explicitly states, if not implies) TNO's services in the Blood War as one of the generals, or something like that. From what I remember, he was a key figure in certain parts of that war's history. The way I saw it, at the end of the game, TNo picking up the axe was representative of him taking up responsibility for all of his past crimes; that which he could never make up for while immortal. I don't see that as a failure, rather a pretty astounding success on a very personal level. I think that, also, acter TNO's encounter with TTO, he was stripped of his immortality, thereby indicating with the obtainment of the axe that he's signing his life away. If he's still immortal in the blood war, then well, he's still signing his life away. In either case though, he escaped service in the Blood War once, so why not do it again, if you've played TNO to be so inclined?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breath of Fire Five: Dragon Quarter. It demands that you play for a while, die, then start from the beginning with some of your levels. Apparently you have to do this a few times to make it near the end and see any conclusion at all. There's no scripted ceremony in doing so either (although I think there's a bit of a flaky plot that mentions why in the manual), it's just a reload your stuff, like a new game + until you get it right. I was too frustrated with the game to begin with and didn't want to deal with that crap so I put it away.
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
dhex wrote:

If you'll recall, in the game it goes over ( think it explicitly states, if not implies) TNO's services in the Blood War as one of the generals, or something like that. From what I remember, he was a key figure in certain parts of that war's history. The way I saw it, at the end of the game, TNo picking up the axe was representative of him taking up responsibility for all of his past crimes; that which he could never make up for while immortal. I don't see that as a failure, rather a pretty astounding success on a very personal level. I think that, also, acter TNO's encounter with TTO, he was stripped of his immortality, thereby indicating with the obtainment of the axe that he's signing his life away. If he's still immortal in the blood war, then well, he's still signing his life away. In either case though, he escaped service in the Blood War once, so why not do it again, if you've played TNO to be so inclined?

I didn't know he was a general, I just thought he became immortal to keep from dying in the Blood War. The process caused him to have amnesia. The amnesia made him forget his Blood Contract.
So for centuries he's been in breach of contract- that's why so many bad things happened to him (aside from other just desserts).

The term of duty will be up eventually. What was it? 10, 20, 30 years?
I don't know if the contract term-extension had penalties for dereliction of duty/AWOL.

Now I have to play again to find out.

This would be a great play along subject, 2+ people could simultaneously report their different paths/findings.

Last edited by Redeye on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Interactive Fiction game "Rameses". While dessgeega might contest its status as "unwinnable", the "victory condition" represents the protagonist's ultimate rejection of all of the player's attempts to improve the quality of his life.
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
dhex wrote:

I didn't know he was a general, I just thought he became immortal to keep from dying in the Blood War. The process caused him to have amnesia. The amnesia made him forget his Blood Contract.
So for centuries he's been in breach of contract- that's why so many bad things happened to him (aside from other just desserts).

I don't know if the contract had penalties for dereliction of duty/AWOL.

This would be a great play along subject, 2+ people could simultaneously report their different paths/findings.
Well the details in my memory are sketchy. I like that idea though! I'm always hunting for another reason to fire up that game again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
but most people wouldn't consider an eternal damnation war a win.

he resolves the primary narrative thrust of the game, which is to reattain mortality and accept the consequences of his selfishness. which i think is a favorable outcome, all things considered. the nature of a man is changed, and whatnot.

rameses ends in the same sort of hopelessness as 1984: nothing has changed, the wheels tick on. although, again, the player has navigated the game to the ending the author wants her to see, so its being a failure is really an illusion.

re: missile command, tons of games have inevitable game overs, but i think missile command gains the most by playing its game over in the context of nuclear war. obviously, there's no winner to a two-sided nuclear conflict, and to enter the game is to accept that predetermined outcome.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reminds me:

* DEFCON

Everybody dies!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
Redeye wrote:
bleak wrote:
dhex wrote:

I don't know if the contract had term-extension penalties for dereliction of duty/AWOL.

Well the details in my memory are sketchy. I like that idea though! I'm always hunting for another reason to fire up that game again.

I'll dig it out this weekend.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch on defcon, cycle.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospital Zone wrote:
Breath of Fire Five: Dragon Quarter. It demands that you play for a while, die, then start from the beginning with some of your levels. Apparently you have to do this a few times to make it near the end and see any conclusion at all.

I finished Dragon Quarter the first time without any restarts. Knowing a couple of people who finished the game before helps out a lot! The game's narrative actually does almost qualify as an "inevitable failure," - it posits that your returning to the surface world will be the worst possible thing that could happen to the denizens of the underground. Even though it ends up wimping out at the end, it comes close.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he resolves the primary narrative thrust of the game, which is to reattain mortality and accept the consequences of his selfishness.

yeah, without a doubt it's a great ending. part of what's made it endure as a favorite.

it's a moral success, but not a conventional success to be sure.

i feel i should go play some missile command now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal Defense, DROD, Halflife.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Leisure Suit Larry Game, since the beginning of the next game always sees Larry out on his arse again, the girl of his dreams exposed as shallow, heartless and cruel. It's a pretty bleak series of games. Bad sax, bean dip, casinos and cruise ships. It's got a David Lynchian quality to it that's completely unintentional; check out a playthrough of Larry 3 to see what I mean.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through Larry 3, the point and click remake released not that long ago... man, that game was so brutally hard! It happened in a sort of real-time, and if you didn't know where and when to be or figure something out soon enough, you'd be screwed.

I still loved playhing through it though. With a walkthrough, of course. I like how every airport looks exactly the same.

EDIT: LOL, nevermind. It was Larry 2! I don't think I played the third one, now that I think of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: