The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Location, Location, Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Location, Location, Location Reply with quote

So, this has probably been done before, but I'm wondering where everybody hails from. [!?]

I myself sit on my ass in the general area of Kelowna, BC, Canada.

[anybody slummin it in our nation's capital? i'm headed there this weekend and am curious about any TGQ relevant sights and spots]
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Namely, uh, Oakland, right now.

Before that, I was in San Francisco. Before that, I was in central Maine. Before that, I wasn't anywhere!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisiana. Woooo! Calcasieu Parish, to be exact.
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location, location, location

VA
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from eastern Tennessee. I wouldn't recommend it. Now I'm living in northern Virginia. I would recommend it!

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverside, IA.
before that, Richmond Hill, GA.
before that, Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.
pre that, McComb, MS.
Schtammheim, Bavaria, Germany
Hawthorne, CA
Junction City, Kansas
San Antonio, Texas
Anchorage, Alaska
Hampton Roads, VA

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangaroo, AU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangaroo is not a town Cycle, stop lying to the outsiders.

Unless it is.

Perth, Western Australia, in the house.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Atlanta/Alpharetta/Athens, Georgia

Now and for any forseeable future: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Live in Northeast, teach in Southwest. I hate my commute.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford, England
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay area of California, namely Santa Clara.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Apple. I just ate the worm.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northwest side of Cleveland, Ohio.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, and for the foreseeable future, I'm in the Chicago Suburbs.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston, Texas.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Currently, and for the foreseeable future, I'm in the Chicago Suburbs.

Did you find a place?
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
The Big Apple. I just ate the worm.

What, Greenpoint?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay area
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Did you find a place?

Yeah, but the offer got refused right after the holidays, so I'm back on the hunt.

mslano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Chicago since August for grad school. I'm not quite a fan of the city just yet, though everyone is excited by the fact that I live there.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible corollary to this thread: What's your favorite place to have lived, and why?

San Francisco is the first place I ever actually chose to live, and I immediately fell in love with it. Now whenever I ride the escalator up from the BART station and see the buildings of Market Street rise before me, it's like being wrapped in a warm blanket and given a head massage.

Despite the rampant and aggressive homeless problem and the too-rich-for-you attitude to most of the other people wandering around (talk about class division), and the way-too-high prices, the place just has such an atmosphere to it. A sense of place and history and vibrancy. Anything you want that isn't a videogame, you can find with a minimum of effort at pretty much any time. At least two corner shops per block, each of which with its own distinct wares. Keep going and you'll find what you want. Perfect temperature and weather, year-round. It's green. It's quirky. It's sexy. It's a city where Democrats are considered ultra-conservative tyrants. And for all its weirdness, MUNI is by a running leap the best bus system I've experienced.

Every time I go back there, I feel inspired. I am truly in love with the place, and I probably always will be.

Oakland... not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
boojiboy7 wrote:
Did you find a place?

Yeah, but the offer got refused right after the holidays, so I'm back on the hunt.

Well that sucks. Offers should be made at the ends of knives so as to not be refused. Just sayin'!

aderack: I have only lived two places, and both of them have had issues. Columbus is kinda just an overgrown college town with a state capital attached to it. It really wants to be a big city, despite being obviously a not too big one. It's a weird place to describe, but it has a lot of issues. And the racial divides in the city are just incredible. It seems like nobody quite got the whole desegregation thing.

Cleveland is a pretty awesome place, but also kinda a boring one. There are little really interesting pockets here, but it doesn't have a ton going for it. I am comfortable here, so I guess that matters. I know too much about this town, so living somewhere else might seem strange.

I did really like what little (20 minutes) I saw of downtown San Francisco, though.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booj come back we have ot spend more time in san francisco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mslano wrote:
I've been in Chicago since August for grad school. I'm not quite a fan of the city just yet, though everyone is excited by the fact that I live there.

Where you living here? Different parts will defiantly give you different impressions. I use to think that Chicago wasn't all that other people thought it was, then moving all over the country I realized that I do love the city quite a bit, it's just missing that major game-centric quality to it... which is regrettable.

aderack wrote:
Possible corollary to this thread: What's your favorite place to have lived, and why?

Ok, I've lived in 3 different suburbs of Chicago, and in the city proper. I've lived in Cape May, NJ (3 months), Ludington, MI (18 months), Almeda, CA (3 Months), New Orleans, LA (4.5 years and through the hurricane), and St. Louis (18 months). With the exceptions of NJ and LA I would have to say that I would have been pretty happy to stay in any of those places for different reasons, but I'm very happy to be back in Chicago.

I use to tell people that I didn't need to order anything off the internet because living in Chicago I could find it and get it quicker. Granted that was when the internet had just had it's major dot-com boom, but still. Anyways, I love the versitility of the city, the cultural mixing pot, and having all four proper seasons. The suburbs offer a balance that I can't get in the city, but it's so much more affordable that I just can't avoid the suburbs. They allow me to be close enough to commute or hang out, but not have to deal with the small sizes of living downtown, nor the awkward parking situation. Honestly, it's difficult to put into words just what I really love about Chicago.

My overall favorite place was when I was actually living downtown. I didn't have a car during that time, but I constantly forget that because the public transportation is so good there. I also loved most the people I met there and had some great times. Many of my friends still live there, and it offers such a wide range of interests that even someone as eclectic as I can feel like they fit in.

sediment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite location (thus far) is definitely Germany.

it's kind of hard for me to succinctly describe why. i was young, so i was probably impressionable but even then i was very struck by the countryside, and how accessible so much history and so many other places were- with the US, everything's so young and so far away because white people steamrolled a thousand insular, small cultures and built weird little shantytown versions of their homelands in their places. Comparatively, Germany - and specifically Bavaria - was tremendously cozy and full of friendly people. In retrospect it might help that I'm white and blonde. And friendly.

Savannah's not bad, either. It's definitely a lot less violent than Atlanta, and is something of a goodish sign of development in the south. Sadly I haven't actually lived in Atlanta, only visited.

mslano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
mslano wrote:

Where you living here? Different parts will defiantly give you different impressions. I use to think that Chicago wasn't all that other people thought it was, then moving all over the country I realized that I do love the city quite a bit, it's just missing that major game-centric quality to it... which is regrettable.

I'm living right near UIC, where I attend school, and it's just this boring little island. I didn't know any other places to live, so I settled on an apartment here that I'll be glad to leave in July when my lease ends.

Shapermc wrote:
aderack wrote:

I use to tell people that I didn't need to order anything off the internet because living in Chicago I could find it and get it quicker. Granted that was when the internet had just had it's major dot-com boom, but still. Anyways, I love the versitility of the city, the cultural mixing pot, and having all four proper seasons. The suburbs offer a balance that I can't get in the city, but it's so much more affordable that I just can't avoid the suburbs. They allow me to be close enough to commute or hang out, but not have to deal with the small sizes of living downtown, nor the awkward parking situation. Honestly, it's difficult to put into words just what I really love about Chicago.

My overall favorite place was when I was actually living downtown. I didn't have a car during that time, but I constantly forget that because the public transportation is so good there. I also loved most the people I met there and had some great times. Many of my friends still live there, and it offers such a wide range of interests that even someone as eclectic as I can feel like they fit in.

See, this is what people keep telling me. You'll have to let me know where this Chicago is.

Oddly enough, I've had my gaming outlet established immediately as I found some fellow SSBM players around the city. Their focus in games is not entirely the same as mine, but I do enjoy the opportunity to play and compete with people, while at the same time just hanging out and enjoying the company. Still, I would like to meet some people with similar interests in gaming, etc.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
Savannah's ... is something of a goodish sign of development in the south.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Vinny Van Go-Go's is still one of my favorite two pizza places ever.

I've been happiest in Athens, Ga. It's extremely cosmopolitan for such a small place.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in southeast Portland, OR. Before that, it was Washington, DC, and before that (for many many years) it was Baltimore, MD-- specifically Towson, MD, for those Maryland enthusiasts out there.

Portland is by far my favorite place I've ever lived-- and I say this in the midst of the six months of drizzle we get here every year. It's totally walkable/bikeable, it's really clean and the air is breathable, and best of all there are so many vegan/vegetarian restaurants that I can afford to never go to some of them because I don't like the food. Oh, and it's cheap and fast to fly to LA or SF, or to drive to Seattle or BC!
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
having all four proper seasons

God I forget how important this is, having never lived in a place without it. Cleveland has been having more mild winters these past few years, and that is bothering me.

I think not having a massive body of water near me bugged the crap out of he when I was in Columbus. Conversely, when I have been in Chicago, not having the lake there to the north totally screwed up my sense of direction.

Cleveland sadly seems to have no gaming scene, though there are a few decent stores here, so maybe if I frequented them more I could find one. As it is, a lot of my friends are gamers, so that works out in the end.

Mass transit is pretty good if you live in the right places in Cleveland. There is a pretty decent rail system, but sadly it doesn't quite run everywhere. The burbs, for example, get no love from the Rapid, except for a few of the really old East side ones. I have always lived a few blocks away from the tracks, though, so that isn't bad at all.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live a few minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, and I've found that not being around water bugs me as well. I feel trapped whenever I fly anywhere and see nothing but land below me. It would be nice if we had more than Hot and Hot with Humidity for seasons though.
sediment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by this? Vinny Van Go-Go's is still one of my favorite two pizza places ever.

yeah, those SCAD kiddies run a tight pizza joint.

What I mean by that is Savannah, though smaller than Atlanta, has a much smaller per-population crime rate, generally better city planning, and fairly solid centres of education. SCAD brings a lot of revenue into the city and helps develop the area nicely, and Armstrong-Atlantic provides less artistic practicum. Also, the surrounding townships tend to be fairly upscale and peaceful. My mother lives in Richmond Hill, which remains a nice community.

I have relatives in Athens! It's also very nice, I'd say it's another sign of things "going right" in Georgia. Atlanta just needs a lot of help, and a lot of rezoning.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mslano wrote:
I'm living right near UIC, where I attend school, and it's just this boring little island. I didn't know any other places to live, so I settled on an apartment here that I'll be glad to leave in July when my lease ends.

Well, I haven't lived here in like... 8 years now, so I don't really have any lasting ties to the city. With that said, oddly enough I plan on re-attending UIC in the fall. Will you still be going there?

aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
having all four proper seasons

God I forget how important this is, having never lived in a place without it.

That's the only thing that weirds me out about San Francisco. It's like living in a time warp. Perpetual October, twelve months a year. The Halloween City. Having lived the first twenty-four years of my life in Maine, one grows accustomed to proper autumns and winters. And proper Halloween. Represented by more than a bunch of people running riot in the Castro.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck seasons, i miss berkeley though

maybe someday ill move back
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley is pretty tight. I've lived there twice (growing up and then for a brief period after college). It's too bad that housing is so ridiculously expensive there.

Other places I've lived:

Santa Cruz - Great place to live for a short-ish period of time, like when you go to college. I couldn't stay there much longer though. Too much of a small town. There's also a real weird social split, where you have a pretty divided community along these lines: students, aging hippies, locals of the following varities: normal, white-trash, surfers and the various Mesoamerican immigrant communities.

El Cerrito - A small, quiet city of old people* with one main drag; however, it's on the BART line and right next to 80/580/880, which makes it extremely easy to get around. My wife's commute to Santa Clara actually go better even though we moved 6 or so miles further away just because we're so close to the freeway.

* - Signs that you live in an aging city: when the top two issues in local politics are the senior center and the library system.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchmonkey, you need to come out for the russian party in may
mslano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
mslano wrote:

Well, I haven't lived here in like... 8 years now, so I don't really have any lasting ties to the city. With that said, oddly enough I plan on re-attending UIC in the fall. Will you still be going there?

Yes, I will certainly still be there in the fall and for a few more falls to come.
sarsamis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southwest side of Chicago.

Like mslano, I also go to UIC, but I live kind of distant from it. Takes around 45 minutes to an hour to get there every morning via CTA, but that's with the time spent waiting and such included.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Stratford, Connecticut. It's a nice, mid-size town about 45 minutes from NYC (though I've never been there for some reason) and about twenty from New Haven (CT's best city, IMO, and where I go to school).

I've never lived anywhere else. Though I do want to travel, I doubt I could live anywhere else besides New England.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various Boston Suburbs.
Moved around a lot as a kid, but Cleveland (Euclid) was it for me in middle school and high school, so that's my honorary hometown, when convenient.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Cleveland (Euclid)

As Cleveland burbs go, Euclid is a pretty decent place to call home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: