The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

videogame school
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm so sorry. I have to say that this is a fault of theirs and in no way yours. When your film/biography is written one day this will all be looked back on as bad on them. Keep strong, and you know i'm there for you.

EDIT: My wife suggested that this sounds very much like discrimination.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assholes. So why did they kick you out? Any reason given?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember Dess.

We love you.

And we always will. We'll be here.

I'm also curious as to why you got kicked out. Too much of a TROUBLEMAKER eh? Didn't like someone RAGING AGAINST THEIR MACHINE?

They'll rue the day.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fuck the games industry, seriously

I came up with this on the way to work: The problem isn't YOU, it's YOU-ESS-AY
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked and appalled.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to add to the clamour for an explanation. If that's okay with you!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it felt more like being fired than being expelled, which fits the professional nature of the school, i suppose.

Actually, this sounds like one of the most unprofessional things I've ever heard of a college. Even Wheaton doesn't kick its aetheist students out. You have every right to complain about the school, as long as you were passing your classes. I'm not sure you have a civil case on your hands necessarily--and I know you're happy to be gone, so you probably don't want to pursue that avenue anyway--but this is unbelievably wrong.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
this is unbelievably wrong.

The impression I get just from reading your posts and blog entries about the subject is that they kicked you out for being too awesome.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically they asked me to leave because i disagree with the way the school is conducted and i'm vocal about it.

what prompted the meeting was a particular incident last semester (last month) involving oblivion. the assignment was to build a mod for oblivion with a quest and side-quests. i find the quest dialogues and general go-kill-goblins-retrieve-my-family-heirloom gameplay of oblivion tiresome and overdone, so i planned a mod with no combat or dialogue, where the player is guided through the quest by environmental and architectural cues.

i turned it in, after weeks of work, and it failed. so i went to my professor, walked him through my mod and explained my design decisions to him personally, told him that we were not going to agree on what constitutes meaningful gameplay but asked what i needed to do to get a passing grade. he told me, i did it, i got an A on the final project.

but he "got the sense" that i didn't agree with it. which is of course correct. so he went to the director of the school and they called me out for a meeting (and were, as i've mentioned, extremely vague about what the meeting was about, though i had my suspicions).

i have straight As. but what the school's director (final boss) argued is that while in a "normal" school a single student can do her work and whether she passes or fails doesn't affect the other student, at this school (the guildhall at smu, for the record), where most work is done in teams, the attitudes of individuals affect the attitudes and grades of the team.

(never mind that everyone in my team last semester finished our game project and all got high grades. i didn't bring this up because grades were clearly not their issue.)

basically i was kicked out for asking questions. the school's director (whom we'll call guildhall prime from here on) used the metaphor of a military company marching to fort worth. halfway there, you can't ask everyone to go to tucson instead. "questions are dangerous," i summarized.

prime also seemed fond of a metaphor about mathematics. an angle is 180 degrees. that's one of the fundamentals mathematics is built on. you can't argue with it. we've sent men to the moon on the basis of that. i told him i found his metaphor unconvincing but that i saw what he was getting at, because it was obvious.

prime wanted me to tell him by the end of the meeting that i would be withdrawing, but i told him i needed at least a day to talk to the people who were important to me and come up with some idea of where i'm going to go from here. he told me to meet with him tuesday but no later, under threat of my tuition not being fully refunded.

a lot of the things they said were true: i'm not happy here, i'm uncomfortable with the school, my expectations for the school were "misaligned" with the reality of the program. after coming close to quitting numerous times i had decided that despite all of their bullshit i would do my work and finish the program, but when they made it clear they didn't want me there as much as i didn't want to be there there didn't seem to be much point in fighting.

i'm relieved to be done with the school since their program is fundamentally flawed, but i'm also stranded in the middle of nowhere, texas and in debt. i'm still waiting for them to get back to me with a price for the laptop, which i need to get started building my portfolio.

the whole experience has been sickening, but it's strengthened my resolve that these are not the people who should inherit the videogame medium, and i'm going to do everything in my power to create a real future for videogames as a relevant and meaningful art form.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of dicks.

Still, they're refunding you at least part of the money. Really, the piece of paper you get at the end doesn't mean shit, it's the experiences you have working and studying there that are the important things. Since you had a shitty experience, because they are wankers, it was probably for the best.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that laptop is fucking sweet though

at least you dont have to make levels for unreal 3 now
ask them to refund you for unreal 3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am going to get a TON of flack for popping in and saying the following, but so be it... I just feel it is necessary to defend the school, because in the long run, they absolutely did the right thing.

Speaking as someone who use to work for a college, and taught game design no less, it's pretty much unheard of any school, instead of just putting up with a student who vocally expresses issues with the program and blindly taking his or her money, which unfortunately is the case the vast majority of the time, to not only actually sit down and think about what is right for Dess, as well as... and this is the most important part... his fellow students, but also offer a full refund.

Say what you will about the school's actions, it is first and foremost a trade school, and like all art/design/technical colleges, the primary goal of any institution of the sort is to create an environment that is comparable to the real world, with elements of both the good and the bad. And the bottom line is that they foresaw a future in which there would be conflicts of interest, which even Dess will admit would have been the case. It's one thing if only Dess's ass was on the line, but since making games is such a collaborative effort, others would have been negatively impacted, and that's just not right... regardless of what they do is "right" or "wrong."

I've quietly followed Dess's college education, and have been somewhat confused every step of the way. Instead of going down various bullet points, I'll simply ask how much research he did when choosing this particular school. It almost felt at times as if there was none. Regarding the school's primary motivation to prepare students for an industry by turning them into drones... again, that's trade schools for you. Like it or not. Not saying it's right... it's why I have a problem with pretty much every major video game school out there... but they serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things. But again, is it not common knowledge that this is how things simply "work"?

And this is where I get personal: and no offense to Dess, but I never got the sense that he wanted to truly play ball with anyone. Once you enter a school, no matter who you are, no matter what you did beforehand, you're at the same level as everyone else. Yes, you become just another face in the crowd. That sounds both horrible, but yet can also be quite beneficial. And sorry to show my age, but I can't tell you how many times I had a professor who I thought was an idiot, and even told him or her so, and yet later down the road, even if I still didn't agree to what was said or thought, I was still able to finally see the point behind it all.

I know I'm somewhat rambling, but I'll just wrap it up by saying, sometimes to break the rules, as I believe the Oblivion mod exercise was supposed to, you have to first know the rules. Again, its absolutely commendable that the instructor, after trying to show Dess what had to be done for a A grade, still looked to the future and realize that the relation was not meant to be. More than anything, colleges are money sucking institutions, and they could have acted totally selfish and simply continued cashing those checks.

I guess I don't know enough to already know if Dess had already thought about going to schools like Parsons, which is more up his alley I would think. Despite my personal differences and opinions, Dess has always proven himself to know his stuff... which is why I wondered why in the hell he went down south to "just another game school." Unless they grossly misrepresented themselves here, which I guess could be the case.

Note: I am also a strong believer that no matter how bad things are, there's always a positive to any situation. I myself was never truly happy with the education that was offered at my school, but I stuck in there, doing what I could to make myself better. In the end, as anyone will tell you who has been through the system, projects and letter grades don't mean jack shit... it's the people you meet. It's all about networking. Which I guess is why Dess went to a school in the first place, I would assume.

Ultimately, whenever a student is dismissed, it is hoped that some humility and sense of scope is instilled, but in this case, given Dess's reaction, as well as attitude as exhibited at certain points throughout, I don't think that's the going to be the case. Which is most unfortunate. So I will say this, for the last time: be VERY thankful for the refund.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats classy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i should be glad you crawled out of your hole to say things to my face instead of taking potshots from your private forums while your friends cheer you on and tell you you're a man, like you usually do. (the male pronouns were a nice touch, by the way.)
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal insults aside, what do you think of what I've said?
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dess way to ignore fort's entire post and notice the male pronouns

(knew that would be noticed (re: psychic powers))

:roll:

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Personal insults aside, what do you think of what I've said?

you're a boring forum troll who likes to show up when blood's been spillt and kick people when they're down / show off for your friends? or maybe you're the cool-headed voice of reason and everyone's too emotional to appreciate your insight! it's tough having to be a contrarian, but you're a stronger person than most! thanks for shouldering that burden.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all things considered i guess it probably wont be a good idea to pursue a job in the industry
at least youve learned that much?

you'll just be making levels you hate for games you hate or cellphone games
you should try to get a job writing or doing something else and just make games in your own time so you can do whatever you want with them

fort hasnt really said anything that hasnt been said throughout the whole thread though apol
and like the whole he thing is pretty tired by now anyway, like its not even a MAD BURN its just ignorant and makes fort look like a hick

i mean jesus we have a woman and a black guy running for president get with the times
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I have heard everything from Dess' POV but it doesn't sound like she was given a fair shake. The "defense of other students" line sounds a little weak if the former teams got good grades. The refund might be less generosity and more trying to lessen the chance of a lawsuit. As for the gender thing, that's just rude; if there's complexities in a gender history the right and compassionate thing to do is take her judgement on it.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a lawsuit would be filed under. Does anyone here actually know the laws regarding this? I'm not even sure if they are a private or public university. I've only heard of donations from private groups.
parkbench

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us all take solace in the Scratchware Manifesto. Fuck the industry!
aderack

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. On the good side, Dess, you've got some first-hand experience now as to what you're up against. Your immediate situation sucks, massively. I'd just sink into depression. You've got some anger to use, though! And you do know some reasonably influential people. So maybe in the long run this will help to launch you in a direction exactly suited to what you actually do give a damn about.

I'm not precisely sure what Erin is up to now (kind of awkward, especially since I don't even talk with Lan much anymore), but look at that EA Spouse business a few years back.

You could try writing an article about your experiences, and try to get it published somewhere. Not even in a game industry publication, though I imagine GamaSutra would take it. Something like the Christian Science Monitor or Salon, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another guildhall dropout wrote about the experience for gamecareerguide, so i imagine they're open to that sort of thing. or they'd tell me it's already been done.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Was it a similar experience to yours?

I seriously think something NPR-ish (mainstream liberal humanist) would be interested. Jon Blow was recently interviewed for NPR, I understand. Don't know any more details than that; what program, what context, whatever.

And, you know. Better to open the window and reach out to real people than tug at the cuffs of industry drones.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Post removed by mod for being nothing but an insulting personal attack.*
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I seriously think something NPR-ish

I'm with aderack here. There's a wonderful radio program on Philly's WHYY (my favorite call signal of all time) called Radio Times. The woman who runs it is always interested and competent. Or Fresh Air. This is that kind of story.

My heart broke a little bit reading all of this.

And I think it merits saying again that even though I'm not good at it at all, I really liked Mighty Jill Off.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Man, I wonder how you get in touch with Terry Gross

EDIT: Oh. http://www.npr.org/contact/

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dess. Sorry to hear that things didn't work out but you are taking it like a champ and in the immortal words of Gene, that's what I expected from you. Anyway I have shown far too much emotion on this here internet forum! bye
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
*Post removed by mod for being nothing but an insulting personal attack.*

(On Fort90)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of using a friend's time of trouble as a platform for our usual self-indulgent talk talk talking... (actually maybe this isn't such a bad thing)
parkbench wrote:
Let us all take solace in the Scratchware Manifesto. Fuck the industry!

Heh.
Previously, after reading about R. Crumb and Harvey Pekar I was musing on why we prefer the term "Indy" to "Underground". Scratchware ain't such a bad term anyway.

And not to be a sour puss but there's a pretty significant gap in complexity between what you can get out of scratchware - the same side as retro and professional casual games -- and the type of games that sell for $60 at Gamestop. For the time being with the requirements for art and models and physics etc, that kind of game will continue to require a large team, (and w/ competition being what it is, will probably be a slave-driven team.)

I imagine it's parallel to what Independent filmmakers face. It's a little different, because games are a more flexible medium than film.

(Do B-list game titles usually make a profit, or no?)

Anyways, I do my part for the Scratchware Cause at http://glorioustrainwrecks.com/ -- 2 hour game jam this Saturday!
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has had me gritting my teeth for a long time now, but since we've broached the unplesantness and I don't really like gritting my teeth, have at you:

Dess, are you humanly capable of admitting you're falible, or working in a team enviroment with people who aren't blowing smoke up your arse? I've seen no signs, ever, that you're capable of considering yourself as anything other than a great artiste come to rain your mana (in the form of click n' play fan games) on the ignorant masses. No hyperbole.

You joined, as Matt pointed out, a trade school. A means to make money. You did not join some little art commune. It was a thing that existed, before you arrived. It had a professional goal and purpose. It was voluntary.

I'd imagine most people there joined to get a job afterwards, and make a living. When you strip down all the luxuaries and pretenses of human society, that's all anything alive ever wanted: a living. Most of the people still there probably just want jobs. That does not make them scumbags. 80% of popular media ever (probably more) was put out to make a buck. Sometimes there's joy in it, sometimes not.

The point I'm getting to: the people you worked with did not need eco-anarchic lessons in how to rip sprites out of Temco arcade games to make terribly subversive games about their own pet social issues. They needed a sound, firm basis in the real fucking world, because that's where all their bread is coming from. Can they still be artists? I know a really great musician who's doing final exams to be an electrician. Every now and then we'll talk about how he should dash off some corny dance tracks to make a quick buck. He's still capable of art, but he understands you gotta make a living.

That is what the school was there for. It's form, it's function. And since this thread started I've watched you thrash against it, selfishly, uncritically, blindly. You are so in love with yourself you cannot just sit back and be a goddamn human being doing a thing for a crust. It goes beyond mere artistic pretense to narcissistic personality disorder:

Quote:
DSM Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:[1]

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Christ, why am I bothering? This thread is full of saps queuing up to feed your wrongness. I don't think I've been so disgusted with a group of individuals on a forum in a long time. Do you guys think you're helping anyone? You're facilitating a deluded adult wander around in circles and remain broken! I'd expect that from Harveyjames! Not shaper or fucking cycle!

Like your Dean said: other people will need to work with you. You believe you are the centre of the universe. You would drive people to breakdowns in a crunch enviroment, destroy projects, and waste other people's money. Right now I'm assuming you're only doing the latter.

Getting serious Jenifer Diane Reitz flashbacks here re: blaming everyone around you for your failures, NPD, use of the word "creatrix", being a complete tit.

And Fort? Stop being such a childish little bigot, man. There's no fucking need for all that pointed pronoun shit, other than to be a dick. You had a ton of legitimate beef, that shit is now contaminated.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Dess, are you humanly capable of admitting you're falible, or working in a team enviroment with people who aren't blowing smoke up your arse? I've seen no signs, ever, that you're capable of considering yourself as anything other than a great artiste come to rain your mana (in the form of click n' play fan games) on the ignorant masses. No hyperbole.

There's a difference between fallible and kick out worthy.
Quote:
I'd imagine most people there joined to get a job afterwards, and make a living. When you strip down all the luxuaries and pretenses of human society, that's all anything alive ever wanted: a living. Most of the people still there probably just want jobs. That does not make them scumbags. 80% of popular media ever (probably more) was put out to make a buck. Sometimes there's joy in it, sometimes not.

No, it sounds like most of the people there don't want A Living; they desperately want to work in the Games Industry, and are willing to make great big sacrifices in order to get there.
Quote:
The point I'm getting to: the people you worked with did not need eco-anarchic lessons in how to rip sprites out of Temco arcade games to make terribly subversive games about their own pet social issues. They needed a sound, firm basis in the real fucking world, because that's where all their bread is coming from. Can they still be artists? I know a really great musician who's doing final exams to be an electrician. Every now and then we'll talk about how he should dash off some corny dance tracks to make a quick buck. He's still capable of art, but he understands you gotta make a living.

What I don't get is, how do you know how Dess was like there, that she was THAT boundary pushing? So to summarize her weekly summaries:
1. start with a fairly positive outlook about her profs, though some uncertainty, 'cause it IS a different style of design
2. not having a car sucked
3. yes, it's a bit of an assembly line, she's going to also be working at home
4. some tension w/ noob coders who are too defderential to the profs as the ultimate authority and definers of the possible
5. an invader t-shirt
6. irritation w/ dumb by the numbers tests, but still doing ok, also thinking, rightfully IMO, that a view of the history of games beyond WoW is helpful.
7. life is tough but doable
8. ditching a stupid potemkin village advertising thing
9. realizing that the school is too much about endurance training for crunch time
10. standing up for indy games as a concept, that there's more to games than money

And then there was the summary right after the kick out. In short, yeah there was some tension there, but if Dess wanted to stick it out, and was even getting acceptable to great grades, she should have that right/

Quote:
That is what the school was there for. It's form, it's function. And since this thread started I've watched you thrash against it, selfishly, uncritically, blindly. You are so in love with yourself you cannot just sit back and be a goddamn human being doing a thing for a crust. It goes beyond mere artistic pretense to narcissistic personality disorder:

Oh, dude this is such bullshit. Half the people I know, and nearly all the interesting ones, fit this defintion.
Quote:
Christ, why am I bothering? This thread is full of saps queuing up to feed your wrongness.

Such a martyr.
Quote:
Like your Dean said: other people will need to work with you. You believe you are the centre of the universe. You would drive people to breakdowns in a crunch enviroment, destroy projects, and waste other people's money. Right now I'm assuming you're only doing the latter.

She talked about a similar experience with her Oblivion mod; she had a strong idea, she presented, talked with the prof to realize she couldn't get the grade she wanted, redid it, got an A.

It might be the biggest part of the game industry isn't for her, but that should be for her to decide, or to see if she could still get a professional niche-- maybe not on the "big movie game of the season" or "next WoW" type place, but there's more to the game industry than that anyway! Who knows, maybe even dig out a role at one of those "big game" places.
Quote:
and Fort? Stop being such a childish little bigot, man. There's no fucking need for all that pointed pronoun shit, other than to be a dick. You had a ton of legitimate beef, that shit is now contaminated.

I don't know what the Fort history is, or care that much, but at least you and I are on the same side on this.

Last edited by kirkjerk on Thu May 15, 2008 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the article past the dsm, I'm actually feeling considerably more sympathetic. towards however you must be feeling. The tone of the above outburst is probably as unhelpful to you getting past this as insulating you from criticism, and I apologise (sincerely) for that.

The point stands, though: you do seem to be extremely resistant to the concept you could ever be falible, or imperfect. Feeling falible or imperfect is shit, but it's everyday shit. It's not the end of the world. Not everyone gets to be a legend, and sometimes we need to submit to the authority of people with experience, or be guided.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're venting: there are trade schools and there are trade schools. One phrase, two connotations. A trade school is a place you can go to learn a trade, yes, but THE GUILDHALL AT SMU is not a place you go because you're broke and unemployed and by god, you just need to put food on the table. It is where you go when you want to "break in" to the industry.

As is so often the case where the phrase "break in" is concerned, there's a racket involved. These people are not Mother Teresa, distributing food and shelter to Africans with a bleak future. They are drawing people from across the country to enroll in their programs, not for simple subsistence but for that golden dream--the chance to make games! So awesome, dude!

The people enrolling in these programs are rubes. Speculators. Entranced by talk of gold, but when they arrive in California, they're stuck in a mine with no fortune to be found. There is nothing narcissistic in noticing that what's being peddled isn't what you wind up with. So get off your high horse.

(EDIT: Kirk said everything I wanted to, but better.)

Last edited by Intentionally Wrong on Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
kthorjensen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dess, are you humanly capable of admitting you're fallible?

Well, no, she's a domme, right? That's sort of the point.

As for the trade school argument: these people are completely right. Trade schools teach you how to do a job. If you want to make games that don't pay, go to art school. That's life.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
The point stands, though: you do seem to be extremely resistant to the concept you could be falible, or imperfect. Feeling falible or imperfect is shit, but it's everyday shit. It's not the end of the world. Not everyone gets to be a legend, and sometimes we need to submit to the authority of people with experience, or be guided.

Can I ask, where does she claim to be infallible or perfect?
She's ambitious, she's trying to think of games in a historical way, she makes things that she and others find interesting, she was looking to make a career, and frankly this is likely a setback for that.

She had arguments w/ Profs, sounds like she would acquiesce in the end.

Dess, were people in your school much aware of your indy games and sites?
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
There's a difference between fallible and kick out worthy.

No doubt. I'm one of the best customer service people at my job, but I still almost got fired for persistent lateness. I can do well at one thing better than most, but I was undermining the team and I needed to be taken in hand. Sometimes the greater body of individuals and their welfare must be considered. It's pretty apparent that dessgeega wasn't a candidate for games industry employment, nor that any really useful exchange of ideas was going on. To make the school out ot be a villan is unecessary and somewhat repugnant: they didn't just keep cashing her cheques, and they even gave her money back (they didn't need to do that). They sound humanitarian.

Quote:
No, it sounds like most of the people there don't want A Living; they desperately want to work in the Games Industry, and are willing to make great big sacrifices in order to get there.

Sacrifice is a part of life, it always has been, and it always will be. Sticking to your guns to the bitter end of personal ruination is for Ayn Rand and Ayn Rand readers. Wanting to make a living in a specific industry just indicates preference (and again, I doubt we have a reliable narrator).

Quote:
What I don't get is, how do you know how Dess was like there, that she was THAT boundary pushing? So to summarize her weekly summaries:
1. start with a fairly positive outlook about her profs, though some uncertainty, 'cause it IS a different style of design
2. not having a car sucked
3. yes, it's a bit of an assembly line, she's going to also be working at home
4. some tension w/ noob coders who are too defderential to the profs as the ultimate authority and definers of the possible
5. an invader t-shirt
6. irritation w/ dumb by the numbers tests, but still doing ok, also thinking, rightfully IMO, that a view of the history of games beyond WoW is helpful.
7. life is tough but doable
8. ditching a stupid potemkin village advertising thing
9. realizing that the school is too much about endurance training for crunch time
10. standing up for indy games as a concept, that there's more to games than money

And then there was the summary right after the kick out. In short, yeah there was some tension there, but if Dess wanted to stick it out, and was even getting acceptable to great grades, she should have that right.

What right? There was no right. Nobody obligates an institution to tutor an individual at that level. Giving a precis of the topics at the hand strips away the tone: there's a lot of arrogance, grandiose fantasy and persecution complex in this thread, and that's important.

Quote:
It might be the biggest part of the game industry isn't for her, but that should be for her to decide, or to see if she could still get a professional niche-- maybe not on the "big movie game of the season" or "next WoW" type place, but there's more to the game industry than that anyway! Who knows, maybe even dig out a role at one of those "big game" places.

The school was imparting a lesson: the games industry is not for dessgeega. The sensible thing to do would be to consider that and move on. It's still possible to make your own arty stuff after a 9 to 5 job.

Quote:
I don't know what the Fort history is, or care that much, but at least you and I are on the same side on this.

Word.
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess my opinions now truly don't mean a damn, since its been agreed upon that I'm a grade-A, number one homophobe.

All I can say about the cheap-shots direct at Dess's gender, is that I guess it was foolish of me to think that everyone would remember our very public battles in the past, which mostly happened at the old IC (actually, I forget if it went that far back) and SB. So all I can say to Dess is that, I'm sorry to say, earlier this morning I got a call from my doctor to tell me that I have a clean bill of health, meaning no cancer or whatever horrible disease you once wished upon me, so long ago.

Anyway, not surprisingly, K Thor is the clean voice of reason here, short and to the point. Given his background, as not only a game designer but artist, it should not be discounted.

I've also taken the liberty of passing along this thread to two colleagues of mine, both of whom teach game design, one for a fairly reputable trade school, and the other for a more traditional fine art & design institution that has been teaching game creation for the past ten years now. I'm hoping they might be able to register and shed some light on the subject, and without all the vitriol that my previous post has had, meaning that they will be listened to. Especially when it comes to student rights and the legalities involved, which as when a lawsuit is valid.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
It's pretty apparent that dessgeega wasn't a candidate for games industry employment, nor that any really useful exchange of ideas was going on.

I don't agree with the former, based on her grades. And I suspect the latter isn't true either-- if her teammates got good grades on projects, I wouldn't be surprised if they made something more interesting and also got to think more deeply about games than members of by-the-numbers teams.

Seriously, asking "can a game do THIS?" is really a bad sign for some of those students. Unless you're asking something specific and technical about a physics engine or AI capability or networking thing, it's a problematic question for a student to be asking.
Quote:
To make the school out ot be a villan is unecessary and somewhat repugnant: they didn't just keep cashing her cheques, and they even gave her money back (they didn't need to do that). They sound humanitarian.

oh, our fuckin' heroes.
I still say the refund is more of a deflective CYA than a huminitarian gesture. There might be some sympathy there, but ultimately that does not make up for the damage to Dess' job intentions.

To be frank and call a spade a space or whatever, I suspect the gender thing entered into this. I have a few friends with similar histories in that regard, the legacy of the testosterone damage, or whatever you call it, is sometimes notable and will squick some small minded folks. I suspect that has a lot to do with this situation, at least in terms of creating a synergy with Dess' refusal to be absolutely spoonfed.

Quote:
Quote:

Sacrifice is a part of life, it always has been, and it always will be. Sticking to your guns to the bitter end of personal ruination is for Ayn Rand and Ayn Rand readers. Wanting to make a living in a specific industry just indicates preference (and again, I doubt we have a reliable narrator).

I agree that my view of this particular situation is all through a Dess lens. But according to a few other narrative accounts, Intentionally Wrong has it right -- your shtick that "these are just folks looking to make a simple living as a humble gamescrafter" is offbase. There are other trade schools for IT and other jobs that likely are not the boot camp that this place is.

And maybe it should be, if that's what the industry wants! But leaving should have been Dess' decision, as it almost might have been.

Quote:
Quote:

And then there was the summary right after the kick out. In short, yeah there was some tension there, but if Dess wanted to stick it out, and was even getting acceptable to great grades, she should have that right.

What right? There was no right. Nobody obligates an institution to tutor an individual at that level. Giving a precis of the topics at the hand strips away the tone: there's a lot of arrogance, grandiose fantasy and persecution complex in this thread, and that's important.

heh, I resent your summary of my precis; there may have been some arrogance, but grandiose fantasy? As for persecution complex it sounded to me like Dess was giving a fairly level headed summary.

There isn't a 'right" in a legal sense, but getting forcibly, if "politely" ejected from an academic institution is a big deal. I'm an "at will" employee, but if I'm suddenly let go, I'm damn fucking sure wanting to know the reason.

Quote:
Quote:

The school was imparting a lesson: the games industry is not for dessgeega. The sensible thing to do would be to consider that and move on. It's still possible to make your own arty stuff after a 9 to 5 job.

This kind of metalesson isn't an acceptable form of teaching.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
All I can say about the cheap-shots direct at Dess's gender, is that I guess it was foolish of me to think that everyone would remember our very public battles in the past, which mostly happened at the old IC

Oy. Yeah, I've been here for 2 years and vaguely remember some reference to this kind of shit. It would be nice if it was left behind the current community.
Quote:
Anyway, not surprisingly, K Thor is the clean voice of reason here, short and to the point. Given his background, as not only a game designer but artist, it should not be discounted.

Yeah, it's an interesting point. At the risk of expounding on stuff I've mostly read about, I don't think Dommes claim absolute infallibility, just something like it relative to their subs.

But based on Dess' descriptions, it sounds more like she's like I was at various points in my school career, that the friction comes from wanting to preserve integrity of thoughts and not take authority for granted all of the time.
Quote:
I've also taken the liberty of passing along this thread to two colleagues of mine, both of whom teach game design, one for a fairly reputable trade school, and the other for a more traditional fine art & design institution that has been teaching game creation for the past ten years now. I'm hoping they might be able to register and shed some light on the subject, and without all the vitriol that my previous post has had, meaning that they will be listened to. Especially when it comes to student rights and the legalities involved, which as when a lawsuit is valid.

I'd also be interested in K.THor's description if a guildhall is a good training place for the culture at a gamelab, if non-cinematic-oriented design studios have less sweatshop like cultures.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I'd also be interested in K.THor's description if a guildhall is a good training place for the culture at a gamelab, if non-cinematic-oriented design studios have less sweatshop like cultures.

Not to speak for K Thor, but I'm a firm believer that any kind of creative training is good and can be applied to whatever (for example: I went to art school for cartooning, and the skills I learned I was able to apply towards game design, in some cases, rather effortlessly... there are limits of course; I don't expect a person that is trained in classical guitar to be a master glass blower, for example), even if said training is "bad". If anything, it just smartens one up to what should not be done, which is often more important that what is.

There's no proven correct way of doing anything right, but it is more easily agreed upon what is the negative. So in that sense, I can see people getting upset at paying good money to be in a situation where everything is being done the wrong way. But once again, some more research should have been done, and also, for the 20th time, it's a trade school, and it has to emulate the professional world.

Despite my established demeanor in these here parts, at least over the past 12 hours, I still believe myself to be a firm believer in positive thinking.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, Guildhall is part of SMU? Seems like you set yourself up for failure.
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I don't agree with the former, based on her grades. And I suspect the latter isn't true either-- if her teammates got good grades on projects, I wouldn't be surprised if they made something more interesting and also got to think more deeply about games than members of by-the-numbers teams.

It's not just about the grades. What I'm picking up from the subtext here was that there was a needlessly disruptive element to dessgeega's behavior which made her enrollment untenable. Imagine a member of a team causing major waves during a multi-million budgeted title, with careers on the line. Unreasonable office politics sink ships - just look at Sonic Xtreme. Look at Daikatana.

Given my experience with dessgeega's 80s arcade tribute games I'm not really sure what that by-the--numbers comment is all about but I'd have to see some actual evidence beyond biased personal testimony that she was that shit hot.

Quote:
Seriously, asking "can a game do THIS?" is really a bad sign for some of those students. Unless you're asking something specific and technical about a physics engine or AI capability or networking thing, it's a problematic question for a student to be asking.

Why is that a problematic question? They're students. They get to ask questions.

Quote:
oh, our fuckin' heroes.
I still say the refund is more of a deflective CYA than a huminitarian gesture. There might be some sympathy there, but ultimately that does not make up for the damage to Dess' job intentions.

Dessgeega is not entitled to anything. I don't think suggesting she is is really helpful to her.

Again, they thought about the worth of their course and acted in a manner which benefits the student. I say this speaking as someone who was asked to leave a university, once.

Quote:
To be frank and call a spade a space or whatever, I suspect the gender thing entered into this. I have a few friends with similar histories in that regard, the legacy of the testosterone damage, or whatever you call it, is sometimes notable and will squick some small minded folks. I suspect that has a lot to do with this situation, at least in terms of creating a synergy with Dess' refusal to be absolutely spoonfed.

Excellent. Let's call some people we've never met bigots with no reasonable basis! This is excellent debate! Again, unless you were there: I find dessgeega's account of events to be biased and unreliable for reasons I've already made clear. The games industry has a lot of transgender folks, eccentrics and social "deviants", for want of a better word.

Falling back into "everyone hates me because of [x]" will fucking kill any need to grow as a person. And I speak as someone who used that as a crutch when I was a kid: I blamed everything on my limp, and not enough on my personality.

Quote:
And maybe it should be, if that's what the industry wants! But leaving should have been Dess' decision, as it almost might have been.

No. Again, you're painting a sense of entitlement that is neither helpful or accurate.

Quote:

You're suggesting one shouldn't learn from life experiences?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was ever a hell on earth, it's Dallas County.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is not good to share, since I know everyone is going for yet another veiled insult, and I guess I can't blame them, though its not to cause even more fires, but to elaborate on one of James' points...

When I first when to art school, here in NYC, there was kid, a dude, who wore a dress all the time. It had nothing to do with sexuality... he was as straight as they come... but he did it for attention, I'm sorry "to blow everyone's minds!" And I guess that worked where he was from (Kansas I think). But it had no effect in NYC. When someone finally asked what his deal was... and that's why lots of people do what they do, for someone to break down and ask "why?", the response was short and sweet: "Dude, we're in Chelsea [a major gay spot in Manhattan]. Who gives a shit?"

Point being... well several: everyone's unique/different/weird/a freak these days. ESPECIALLY in school. Unless there's solid evidence to the contrary, I'm pretty certain Dess did not get shit based primarily on sexual politics, so I too am confused by the talk of discrimination.

Also, as I already pointed out, Dess' background and credentials probably did not mean shit to fellow classmates or instructors. And why should it? Everyone student should be viewed on equal terms.

As if it needs to be said, but I'll say it again anyway: you don't go to school to learn "stuff", you go there to meet people, to network, to be part of gangs and shit like that.

Last edited by FortNinety on Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kthorjensen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamelab uses a scrum project management system to try to mitigate crunch-focused development (which is a plague on the game industry), but still we are a business. Game production is a business and if you go to a trade school to learn a business than you should think twice before investing anything personally in it because that's retarded. You wouldn't go to electrician's school to do nothing but make Tesla coils. Guess what? The institution sets the curriculum! If you can't operate within the limits of that curriculum, than the school isn't for you. Game design and production on the professional level is an intensely collaborative experience with little to no room for ego.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck does that anecdote have to do with anything, Fort?
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe someone was inferring how Dess might have been singled out and given shit for trying to stand out from the crowd. Again, with the whole "it's discrimination!" angle. The other point being, most teachers, have seen it all and are rarely impressed.

EDIT: ... Then again, that is precisely what happened: the administrator foresaw problems down the road and decided to dismiss Dess. Again, I think they handled themselves quite justly.

Also, everything K Thor said about games being a collaborative effort.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

It's not just about the grades.

To the extent that grades are to the success of a school project what financial success is to a real life project, and that the school is meant as a prep for real life, it's about the grades to a very large degree.
Quote:
What I'm picking up from the subtext here was that there was a needlessly disruptive element to dessgeega's behavior which made her enrollment untenable. Imagine a member of a team causing major waves during a multi-million budgeted title, with careers on the line. Unreasonable office politics sink ships - just look at Sonic Xtreme. Look at Daikatana.

Right. They got bad grades.
Look at an endless parade of license tie-in shovelware and worse-- my understanding is, many of these things don't make money either!
Quote:
Given my experience with dessgeega's 80s arcade tribute games I'm not really sure what that by-the--numbers comment is all about but I'd have to see some actual evidence beyond biased personal testimony that she was that shit hot.

She says she took an Oblivion mod doing interesting things w/ architecture and environment cues, found out her Prof wouldn't get it, retooled it, and got an A. I'm going to guess that is a better experience than a more typical one.

Quote:
Quote:

Why is that a problematic question? They're students. They get to ask questions.

Sure. And we get to make speculations about what's going on behind the question. It's tricky, sometimes a dumb question is looking to shake some assumptions, but in this case it sounds more like a question firmly rooted in assumptions and a generally limited outlook.

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent. Let's call some people we've never met bigots with no reasonable basis! This is excellent debate!

In case you haven't noticed, this whole discussion can't get away from PLENTY of speculation and guesstimation about what the scene was.
Quote:
Falling back into "everyone hates me because of [x]" will fucking kill any need to grow as a person. And I speak as someone who used that as a crutch when I was a kid: I blamed everything on my limp, and not enough on my personality.

Well fuck, it's not Dess saying this, it's me!
It's probably somewhat dumber to assume that it couldn't be part of the issue than to assume that it must have been.

Quote:
Quote:

No. Again, you're painting a sense of entitlement that is neither helpful or accurate.

Yes they probably had the right to kick Dess out. That doesn't mean we can't judge them or think it's a wrong decision, and that they should have done otherwise.
Quote:
Quote:

You're suggesting one shouldn't learn from life experiences?

Duh, of course not, but they shouldn't be the way an institution sets out to teach.

Last edited by kirkjerk on Thu May 15, 2008 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: