The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

odd request for causal game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: odd request for causal game Reply with quote

So last night I played through "Blood Ties" w/ my Aunt, who loves it - I didn't realize it was a TV show.

The game is almost retardedly simple; you see a static scene w/ a bunch of (possible stock photo?) objects in it, and then a list of objects to click and pick out of the mess. It's strangely rewarding, especially as you get to know where items are likely to be hidden.

So, are there any other games like that around? I know this is "extreme causal" gaming, and this turns out to be a blatantly shallow show tie-in, but still...
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a bazillion! Its the new casual game trend of the week, they call them "Hidden Object" games, here is a list of all of the games of this type over at BigFish Games:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/15/hidden-object.html
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Only a bazillion! Its the new casual game trend of the week, they call them "Hidden Object" games, here is a list of all of the games of this type over at BigFish Games:

Heh, well, lucky Aunt!

Sorry for asking such a cornball question, then.
This was my first step of "research", and it looks like Google can take it from here.

I know casual gaming has a different type of audience following, but is there any good place that talks about 'em? Like are all Hidden Object games pretty much The Same Damn Thing or are some more interesting than others?
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
LordGek wrote:

Heh, well, lucky Aunt!

Sorry for asking such a cornball question, then.
This was my first step of "research", and it looks like Google can take it from here.

I know casual gaming has a different type of audience following, but is there any good place that talks about 'em? Like are all Hidden Object games pretty much The Same Damn Thing or are some more interesting than others?

While I'm a big casual gaming fan myself I think I just hate it when "everybody and their brother" developerwise is just churning out the clone of the week.

My wife, however, has found herself addicted to the "Big City Adventure" line of games (San Francisco and Sydney, Australia). While primarily hidden object games, they throw in a few other mini-games as you hit all of the famous locations of the given city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: