The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Adventure Game thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay cycle i take it back i like that you highlight the hampster incident this is a good article

i like that theres a bullet section
i only read the stuff on the sides!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the pope joke i make in that boxout, but it's also where my typo is.

daph why did you want a copy of the magazine?

you should want a copy of the next issue, with my marathon article.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your words, Cycle, while waiting for a friend at Borders. They were pretty good!

P.S. I saw you got a photo in this issue as well, you handsome devil.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, i forgot about that

that picture is about 6 years old

i also write about freeware near the front!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I just noticed you sent me a scan before. Thanks!

I definitely recognised your name. I think it's time to pull out the back issues.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you a regular reader, are you? I've been writing for them for about 3 years now, though how much stuff I have in the magazine depends on what they need and how much spare time iIhave. I've done a few pieces I'm very proud of, plenty of reviews but sometimes all I have is the freeware thing. I'd like to do more work for them but my other work and real life get in the way. Maybe I should quit one of my jobs!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be, but not so much anymore since it just made me sad that my computer consistently hates my guts.

If you remember what issues they were in, I'd be very interested to hear of which articles you are most proud of.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, let me go through my records...

Issue 119 - featured my first REAL article, a piece called WHY DO I WANT TO BE A WOMAN. You can tell it's the first article where I'm allowed to do whatever I want because it meanders off about halfway through, and I plan to re-write it eventually. Also features my first two page review, SERIOUS SAM 2. I remember giving it a 7.

I also have Out To Play articles in the next two issues, I enjoyed them but they aren't nearly as interesting. I should pitch some more OTP ideas, I don't think I've done any since these...

Issue 124 - a two page review of DREAMFALL which I remember liking, plus in the GAMES TO WATCH thing, I did all the "envelope pushers" down the bottom of each page. This was probably the most fun I've had with the magazine! It's also the most I got paid for a single piece of work.

Issue 127 - Oh sorry, this is the one with the Dreamfall review... 124 had a preview where I also conducted my FIRST INTERVIEW! WOOO.

Issue 129 - My first four page spread! Covered DEFCON and also Introversion in general. I talked to the head honcho over there, he was a swell guy.

uuhh, then nothing exciting for awhile, mostly just reviews which I won't bother highlighting... though there was that one time where I had to write three reviews in one week, while working two other jobs... turned out surprisingly well, but my friends missed me.

I ssue 138 - Underground lovers, a four page article on the indie scene. Also featured a Dark Messiah of Might & Magic reload.

And then nothing really exciting until the Maniac Mansion article... man, looking back, I really need to start pitching more ideas again! Where did my enthusiasm go? Oh wait, haha, that's right... I've been spending all my time working on this fucking Marathon article that I've started from scratch 5 times. If I actually finish it, I bet it will be a piece of crap.

ACTUALLY, the editor is getting on my back to come up with a new indie article idea. I'm all for it, and we've been throwing around some ideas but what do you, the TGQ forummers, think? What could of article on indie gaming would you like to read?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should touch upon how no other media has so much creative power in the hands of executives and multinationals as gaming. Indie films, indie music, indie writers, indie comics all help keep their respective mediums vibrant and alive and full of new ideas but that is only just beginning to happen in games and needs to happen more. Grants for indie filmmakers! Yes! But no grants for indie gamemakers! What!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH NO SHIT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've been trying to put across to my editor... I want indie games to get more coverage because I think it will add VIBRANCE to the coverage, since most stuff we cover is the latest dank FPS or RTS. I'LL MAKE SURE TO USE WHAT YOU SAID IN MY NEXT PITCH.

Also, the Australian government has no support for the games industry which is bullshit, but the new guy we just elected said he was going to change that. YOU'D BETTER, RUDD.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was that one game that got a government grant, OOPS. I don't think it was ever finished, hang on...

Ah, they released a prototype... a mod for Half-Life. Four years well spent?

If I had Half-Life, I'd know!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I just bought Shenmue 2 for Xbox because I recall enjoying the first at my friends house. I hope it's good! And I guess it counts as an adventure?

Yeah, I think it does in many senses. I've been craving the first Shenmue for awhile. I think I'm going to get my dreamcast from home to play it.

Quote:
Basically I wanted a game that I could walk around aimlessly in. I'm also trying to get Fahrenheit, which I was supposed to play eons ago.

If you're interested, you might want to try reading the Fahrenheit thread I made on SB a little while back. Some interesting discussion and screenshots galore; even got linked on GSW (oh gawd my 15 minutsz). The game is...you deserve to play it just to truly understand the gravity of its lost potential.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Ah, they released a prototype... a mod for Half-Life. Four years well spent?

That wasn't that Escape from Woomera game was it? If so, it was rubbish.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddworld may be on the 360 compatibility list but there's no fucking sound.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? you're shitting me.

god, fuck YOU microsoft.

also CC, yeah that's the game I was talking about! interesting fact: I got the job at PCPP by writing a sample article about Woomera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, today I played my first computer adventure game, TGQ!

Well, it was actually last night. I downloaded Maniac Mansion Deluxe...and got stuck. Two of my characters were caught and sent to the basement and the third (Bernard) was sort of just meandering around the house.

Today I downloaded SCUMMvm and attempted Sam and Max Hit the Road. It's...good. I'm still really new at all this, as stupid as that sounds. I keep having to look at guides, even just to get a general idea of where to go. I like the world, however. It's a big carnival tent vision of America, with roadside diners and a Giant Ball of Twine littering the country.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like adventure games, at least the little bit of them I have played. I just suck at them.

Oh! And I almost forgot to mention Grim Fandango. This looks great, and I LOVE the noir atmosphere of it all, but I want to use a game controller with it. The keyboard feels painfully awkward.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looove taking out-of-towners that have played sam and max to teh MYSTERY SPOT in santa cruz
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:

Today I downloaded SCUMMvm and attempted Sam and Max Hit the Road. It's...good. I'm still really new at all this, as stupid as that sounds. I keep having to look at guides, even just to get a general idea of where to go. I like the world, however. It's a big carnival tent vision of America, with roadside diners and a Giant Ball of Twine littering the country.

Twineball
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Blade Runner playthrough has been archived. Give it a rea. It's a possibly overambitious product and the player gives nice insights into why that is.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys who made this game didn't have kids.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started playing INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE on my DS! It's quite enjoyable so far. The earlier segments play exactly like the movie (even some of the script is identical) but YOU CONTROL THE OUTCOME, woo! I haven't gotten very far yet, but it looks like it's going to be a fun ride. Some of the stuff Indy says to himself doesn't sound that Indy, but I might just have to get used to the fact that he has lots more to say here.

I bet Dracko has interesting things to say about this game!
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved the introductory credit sequence of Last Crusade. Been a long time since I played much further than that, though. How well does the fighting work on the DS?

I remember getting screwed right at the end because I didn't know which grail to choose; either because I was supposed to do something earlier that would tell me which one was correct (it was different each time, as I recall), or because there was some copy protection I was missing, I forget which. Whichever it was, the sound effect that plays as Indy turns to dust still looms in my mind whenever I think about the game. I chose... poorly.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last crusade may be my favorite lucasarts point-and-click adventure, though it has its flaws. i like it for all the reasons adventure game grognards hate it (mazes, combat). it actually feels like an adventure, not just a story you progress by using item A on object B.

(i've never passed the grail scene either. i think an image of the real grail can be found in the nazi castle somewhere. TAKE HEED, CYCLE.)

but yes, indy's voice is distinctly different in the games than in the movies because the indy of the games is a different character than the one in the movies. in the movies he solves problems by force and acrobatics; in the games he solves them through wit and charisma. this indy is going to naturally sound different from that indy.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Split is almost out!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with indy's personality is the he sounds more Threepwood than Indy.

Anyway, I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about this game. I've heard pretty much nothing about it and didn't kno what to expect, but it's great! The first section is a great introduction to how the game works (plus a re-enactment of the start of the movie), the second part is all about using your brains and the clues in the Grail Diary to find the second marker, and the third part is sneaking around the castle in an open-ended awesomefest. Good times, even though the castle is giving me more trouble than it should be, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said, different indy.

i like that they use the player's familiarity with the movie to ease her into the logic of the game, before they go off in their own direction.

the castle is great, but it's not easy. make sure you find that picture of the grail! there's a part of the game i want to talk about but you havn't reached it yet, so i will refrain.

there's also an incredibly obtuse scene near the very end that one of my former instructors, an ex-lucasart, conceded was really unintuitively designed. i bet apm knows what i'm talking about. i am expect to hear you complain about it in this thread.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko warned me about the Grail stuff, it's cool!

I've only encountered one dumb puzzle so far, the one involving the wine bottle. What the hell was that crap! Dumb, that's what it was. Everything else has been top notch though, which is really impressive for such an old adventure game. I think it helps that lots of stuff is optional or has alternate solutions.

This is why I think LucasArts were the kings of the adventure genre. They experimented and did things with it, even trying to solve many of the problems plagueing the genre, unlike 98% of other games which was just the same generic gameplay but with a different setting and story. That's why the genre is so dead today. Or one reason. SIGH.

In many ways Last Crusade reminds me of Last Express. Another great game that actually did something with the genre.

Too bad it was a gigantic bomb.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the genre died because you can't just carry on putting prettier graphics on it and change a couple of things and call it a new game; you actually have to keep coming up with compelling stories and original puzzles, neither of which are easy for most games developers. I mean look at Gears of War, there's nothing original or clever about that game at all! It just takes a load of elements of what went before and smooshes them together into a paste, and that's enough for some people to declare GAME OF THE DECADE WHOOOOOOOOOOO

Still, there's always Zack and Wiki! They should make a DS version of that game, they'll clean up.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I've always loved the introductory credit sequence of Last Crusade.

I played the demo last night on my Wii, and apparently I was actually thinking of Fate of Atlantis when I wrote that. It's been waaay too damn long since I've played Last Crusade.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telltale games is actually pretty good and the third person point-and-click adventure game. i just wish they could distance themselves from the lucasarts adventures and make something that wasn't so contrived they had to compensate with two hours of one-liners.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above statement.

Harveyjames wrote:
I guess the genre died because you can't just carry on putting prettier graphics on it and change a couple of things and call it a new game; you actually have to keep coming up with compelling stories and original puzzles, neither of which are easy for most games developers. I mean look at Gears of War, there's nothing original or clever about that game at all! It just takes a load of elements of what went before and smooshes them together into a paste, and that's enough for some people to declare GAME OF THE DECADE WHOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, this is also true. But I'm sure if they tried to re-invent the genre a bit, they would find easier ways to get around these problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's why the genre is so dead today. Or one reason. SIGH.

No, everyone knows why the genre died.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck those guys, they don't know the difference between a crate and a barrel.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It should be clear at this point that it commited suicide'.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Crusade is better than Fate of Atlantis in every way just so you know.

Their next sequel was supposed to be called Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix and involved the Nazis searching for the Philosopher's Stone in order to resurrect Hitler. Which is not only dumb - Dark Horse adapted it into a comic - but they realised it wouldn't sell at all in Germany, which apparently is a prime market for adventure games.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe they actually have laws prohibiting people from releasing games with overt references to naziism.

and yeah, last crusade is much more interesting than fate of atlantis, for all its flaws.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i believe they actually have laws prohibiting people from releasing games with overt references to naziism.

hmmm i dont think this is true
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Daph, they love that shit

In fact I saw one film where all these German people were cosplaying as the baddies from the Indiana Jones movies! It was a really big thing in Germany at one time

And now they've banned it. What a fickle, fickle bunch of people
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Last Crusade is better than Fate of Atlantis in every way just so you know.

I kind of suspected, yeah.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember randy pitchford saying they had to airbrush a swastika out of one of their games or it would be banned in germany. he's sort of a douche, though. and my memory's not very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's true. Like when they had to replace the pedestrians in Carmageddon with robots or whatever.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench and haireyames are both idiots

anyway, they used to ban games all the time that had anything to do with nazis, didn't they? i'm pretty sure they still do. they're crazy with the censoring over there. it was zombies in carmageddon, by the way. i think.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's why you hate portal. it's starting to make sense now.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, what has this to do with portal?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i remember randy pitchford saying they had to airbrush a swastika out of one of their games or it would be banned in germany. he's sort of a douche, though. and my memory's not very good.

They had to take a swastika out of a level in Doom, too. I believe it was E1M4
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
huh, what has this to do with portal?

because old man murray wrote the script for that game (right?) and they seem to be on your list of THINGS I HATE FOR IRRATIONAL REASONS.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man now i hate portal EVEN MORE SO

NERD RAGE

RISING

anyway, back to talking about adventure games.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that The Longest Journey is fantastic guys, but everyone always seems to leave out the "standard adventure game trope problems" that come with it. Anyone care to mention just how bad they are?

As a frame of reference I couldn't finish Hotel Dusk because it had to many "standard adventure game trope problems"

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're pretty bad. It really is your usual adventure game, just with some pretty swell writing.

I prefer the sequel which is more of a movie than a game, and as such I found it much more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard that the longest journey is the same badly-designed adventure game, just much longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: