The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Adventure Game thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parkbench

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The great appeal of The Secret of Monkey Island, the reason why it works so well in contrast to its sequel, and what the third game picked up on later, is that it tries to use the genre to its fullest extent: Next time you give it a playthrough, consider how unalike each individual puzzle is.

Dracko, can you expound on this argument about Monkey Island 2? i've never heard this perspective before, it's really interesting; especially since all I remember of the Monkey Island series is one orgasmic blur. I mean I've played each one multiple times, but I've never paid close attention to the mechanics in the way you're explaining them--so I'd like you to give me a framework for understanding (preferably with some concrete examples of puzzles where both succeed/fail) and then I can approach the games in the near future trying to look for said framework and seeing if I agree.

THX!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just like it for the ending.

i just played through episode one of sam & max. i like the getting-ten-thousand-dollars puzzle. there are some pretty good one-liners. i'll probably play the rest.

at gdc i saw the telltale games people talk about how episodic content is like a sandwich-of-the-month club: each month subscribers expect a full sandwich, not just a bun or a slice of tomato (that form a complete sandwich once you receive them all, is where this is going). i like that approach to episode development.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if you want to prove to me you're TYPE OF PERSON QUALIFIED TO BE IN THIS AREA, you're going to need to show me a QUEST ITEM 1, QUEST ITEM 2, and a QUEST ITEM 3."

i finished episode two.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Sam and Max episodes really are very... VERY traditional adventure games, which is why I was a little dissapointed with them. I was expecting something NEW AND EXCITING, instead I got your average adventure game with some sharp writing and fun characters.

Which is still good. The small size of each episode helps lots, too.

Anyway, since Faust: Seven Games of the Soul won't work, I decided to play The Last Express instead.

HOT DAMN, this game is amazing. The interface and moving around can be pretty damn confusing at times (especially when first starting), but once you get the hang of things it's just so much fun walking around, getting to know the characters, listening in on conversations and snooping around... it's just PRETTY WOW. I've no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, and I respect the game for that. You find the dead body of your friend, have a couple minor clues, and off you go! Figure it out! I'm spending most of my time getting to know the deal with all the characters. So yeah, amazing stuff.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
Quote:
The great appeal of The Secret of Monkey Island, the reason why it works so well in contrast to its sequel, and what the third game picked up on later, is that it tries to use the genre to its fullest extent: Next time you give it a playthrough, consider how unalike each individual puzzle is.

I think Monkey Island 1 has the best story. It's very well plotted with a very clear throughline, It goes 'young man wants to be a pirate ----> falls in love ----> learns of antagonist and mysterious island ----> love is kidnapped by antagonist----> travels to island, exciting stuff happens, finally kicks ass by interrupting wedding.' Simple, simple, simple, and every one of those plot points is kick-ass. It's the classic Hero's Journey template. Monkey Island 2 on the other hand is more unfocused and meandering. There's a lot of weird shit in there (Guybrush's parents?), Elaine's role is unclear, and Guybrush ends up worse off than he started. It feels like a middle part in a planned trilogy, which I guess is ok? Only, 1 feels like a standalone tale and 3 Ron Gilbert didn't get to write himself.

I can't really remember 3. I thought it was ok, I guess. I find it hard to lump in with the others since someone esle wrote it.
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, as I say this, I haven't played Monkey Island 2; simply 1, 3, and 4.

4 is horrible. The only really endearing facet of it, to me, was a part where you're rafting through a time-bending swamp and encounter yourself.

I feel Monkey Island 3 is roughly on par with the first game, though in certain respects some of the puzzles feel more like Leisure Suit Larry puzzles, if anyone knows what I mean? Perhaps what I like most about the third game is how full of style and charm it is. You really get to see Guybrush as the gawky, weird-looking fellow everyone describes him as; the VGA full-screen cinematics from the first game had him looking really quite cute, and possibly more appropriate filling the role of the Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest protagonist. It's a small issue, but for me, it meant a lot.

The ship-to-ship combat element was also pretty amusing.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
4 is horrible. The only really endearing facet of it, to me, was a part where you're rafting through a time-bending swamp and encounter yourself.

yes. the sad thing is it was lifted out of infocom's sorcerer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished episode three.

these games are so contrived, but they get away with it by being SELF-AWARE WACKY COMEDY ROMPS, much like secret of monkey island, day of the tentacle, and, say, the original sam & max. i do appreciate that everything is controlled with a single click, meaning that as soon as you click an object in the game you're told whether (and how) you can interact with or take it.* and that the episodic nature of the games means they're small enough that they stay focused. i've never been able to make much progress in the original sam & max.

* what riven does particularly well, incidentally, is let you know what parts of the environment you can interact with and how. everything you can interact with is a button, lever or handle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...hey, anyone here played Dreamweb?

dess' mentioning interactivity reminded me of it like a slap in the face. Dreamweb is short and somewhat interesting if you haven't seen Taxi Driver a million times, but one of the things that I thought was really neat about it (when it came out) is that you can pick up practically anything you can find.

Not all of it is useful. But sometimes there are multiple items you can use to solve the typical adventure game puzzles in it, which was a really nice touch to me! Sort of like Beyond Zork - you'd always face the same puzzles, but how and when you resolved them was entirely up to you.
...of course, Beyond Zork was a little more creative in the differences in the "hows".

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that game had such a fucking awesome atmosphere. Seriously! If you like atmosphers, play Dreamweb. I mean, if you like dark, nightmareish atmospheres. IT TOTALLY HAS A SEX SCENE TOO, right before you blow the guys brains out.

And yeah, I love how you could pick up every possible item. Was it hard or easy? I can't really remember. All I remember was how dark, depressing and wonderful the atmosphere was.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
* what riven does particularly well, incidentally, is let you know what parts of the environment you can interact with and how. everything you can interact with is a button, lever or handle.

The problem here is that I'd be wandering around for hours only to realise I've missed some tiny little switch somewhere, they should have painted them all pink or something so they'd stand out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit random, but I love the birds in your sig LOL!
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamweb's initial stuff was kind of hard, for me, since it's a little different from most adventure game puzzle logic, but after that I fell into it somewhat easily and the rest of the game got to be a bit easier.

Only game I've ever played where a hotel room bloodbath is approached as a puzzle!

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished episode four. american political humor is eh. but i really appreciate that i havn't had to go to a walkthrough at all so far.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just reading the SA Let's Play thread for Blade Runner. It's brlliant. How come we don't do stuff like that?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah someone should do one for daikatana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I'm just reading the SA Let's Play thread for Blade Runner. It's brlliant. How come we don't do stuff like that?

link?

i like documenting games. i did this and this recently. it seems fairly redundant with most adventure games, since they're fairly straightforward and have internal narratives.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Bladerunner is interesting since there is some choice-making and randomness in the game.

Finished the last express! The last disc wasn't too great, too many puzzles silly puzzles, not enough messing around with characters. Still, great game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2667681
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's great about it is that the guy making the thread throws open a lot of the story-altering decisions to the readers, like 'the cook is attacking with his butcher knife! What do we do? a.) shoot him b.) don't shoot him and keep our gun trained on him, maybe he will submit c.) lower our gun and talk to him d.) fisticuffs.' So it's really like the whole forum is playing the game together.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
What's great about it is that the guy making the thread throws open a lot of the story-altering decisions to the readers, like 'the cook is attacking with his butcher knife! What do we do? a.) shoot him b.) don't shoot him and keep our gun trained on him, maybe he will submit c.) lower our gun and talk to him d.) fisticuffs.' So it's really like the whole forum is playing the game together.

Oh P.S. what is this from?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished episode five of sam & max, which is full of self-aware jokes about videogames and the internet. my favorite thing is the save point, probably because it's fully functional. and that other part which i'm not spoiling but you know if you've played it. anyway, on to the conclusion.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BotageL is taking suggestions for a Deus Ex playthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7iJs8izEDw

I should play the other Sam & Max episodes. I only played the first three.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished the last episode of sam & max season one.

the whole thing felt - like most sierra and lucasarts adventure games, i guess - like a bunch of solutions in search of puzzles. here's an object i can steal from my neighbor! i'm not sure why i'd want it yet, but if they're so attached to it clearly i should nab it. and look, a conveniently-placed object i can use to distract them! it feels backwards - like i'm racking up inventory items and then searching for the puzzles they solve.

that said, the puzzles are often clever, and usually well-clued. i didn't have to consult an outside source to figure out how to pass a single puzzle, and that speaks well for the game's puzzle design.

the game is also really useful about cutting away irrelevant details. especially on sequences that the player will likely end up seeing many times, a quick cut or a pithy line of dialogue makes experimenting much less repetitive. characters' dialogue, as they repeat it, is gradually whittled to just the most relevent information, but there are enough responses that the characters don't feel wooden.

"for a traditional point-and-click puzzle adventure game, it's pretty good" is a back-handed compliment, but it means a lot considering i can rarely stand that kind of game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Oh P.S. what is this from?

I believe it's The Immortal, which I should probably play at some point.

Made by Will Harvey, the madman behind Marble Madness!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my slut's been trying to convince me to get a gametap subscription for a while now. i finally got one (it's 99 cents for the first month) to check out season two of sam & max, and while i was at it i downloaded return to mysterious island (which i've been meaning to try since reading this review by zarf). i'm interested in uru online, but i just don't think i'll have the time to explore it.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak and wiki is fucking amazing its everything a wii game should be and man its clever and MAN IT MAKES ME FEEL SO SMART

and when i stand still for a long time i start eating a candy bar

oh and every time it introduces a character it says their favorite food and my captains favorite food is "all"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
parkbench

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beat myst today. it was...interesting. but underwhelming. moving onto riven shortly.

i had screenshots, but they look ugly and dithered and weird, i donno why.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have skipped myst and gone directly to riven.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still never finished riven because it's so obtuse.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're obtuse.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're acute.

Acute pain in my rear!! :O
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA WHOA, let's not go saying things we could regret.

Yeah, Riven pretty much fixes everything wrong with Myst. Or rather, they learned lots from Myst. Some of the puzzles were even recycled somewhat, but made a million times better. I love the original Myst, mainly because I loved the hub island and accessing the others, but some of the puzzles really are pretty stupid and a couple ages way too gamey. On the other hand, some were great. Channelwood was probably my favourite age (after Myst itself), because it actually felt like I was getting around with primitve, alien technology.

Riven was pretty obtuse at times, but I never really felt cheated. It all made sense if I really thought about it.

The bead puzzle could have been handeled better, though.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new PCPP hit the stands today! Make sure to check it out for the BLISTERINGLY AWESOME Maniac Mansion article! Feedback wanted! Also, write-in and tell them how awesome it is so they give me more work!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's PCPP?
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocket calculator pension plan?

seriously though, i am curious as well.

Worm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitman counts, right?

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizm could have been great, but it was lame instead.

Kind of a budget game that was years behind its time.

The drivel at the end was maddening.

I'd like to have multiple paths and solutions and maybe even a choice of characters like in Maniac Mansion.

The Longest Journey was better. Pretty easy and fast paced.
I had fun with it.

Anachronox was great, and there is a cheat code to skip combat except boss fights.
I advise doing so except for when you want to play with special effects.

Except for combat and inventory/etc. its mostly an adventure game.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the announcement that David Fincher is poised to direct the adaptation of the hard sci-fi novel Rendezvous with Rama (and quite possibly the excellent French comic Le Tueur), I'm curious to know if the Rama adventure game was any good? It's my understanding Arthur C. Clarke actually worked on it, too!
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke is sort of a narrator for it, as I recall. He shows up ingame, in full FMV glory. I watched a "making of" segment on it from a PCGamer disc I had, way back when it was just coming out.

I haven't played it myself. It looked kind of okayish. The PCGamer review was middling at best.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-release hype made it sound like you were actually going to commune with an alien entity that lived in your PC.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
SANITARIUM

If I recall, I think you'll probably want to play this one with the voice acting turned off. I remember otherwise really liking it, but I could have been a lot dumber back then.

Rama's in a similar boat for me -- I enjoyed it when I played it, but I was young and stupid and put up with a lot more shit back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
...i'm interested in uru online, but i just don't think i'll have the time to explore it.

Warning: Jumping Puzzles.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadjet Eye Games have released a demo for their upcoming Blackwell Convergence. It seems they're attempting multiple solutions to a same puzzle now. Should be interesting.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm going to scan my Maniac Mansion article for you guys, if you want a copy, PM me and I'll send you a link (eventually). It's uh... it's not my best work! It's pretty much me rambling on about how much I love Maniac Mansion for two pages, but it's pretty good for something I had to throw together in like one night. I spotted one typo though Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle I am fascinated by people with passion! Send me, send me. Or I'll just pm you, okay.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I sent it to a bunch of you and MAN, do I wish I hadn't! I just re-read it and it feels so rushed and sloppy! Maybe it's just because I know it was rushed, though.

NEW THREAD PURPOSE: Tell Cycle he is actually a brilliant writer and also very handsome.

Also, I just bought Shenmue 2 for Xbox because I recall enjoying the first at my friends house. I hope it's good! And I guess it counts as an adventure?

Basically I wanted a game that I could walk around aimlessly in. I'm also trying to get Fahrenheit, which I was supposed to play eons ago.

I also bought the Xbox Oddworld because it always looked interesting and very pretty! Basically, I'm grabbing everything that I'd want to play that's on the 360 compatability list. Which is 5 games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually going to respond to your PM with "handsome name!" Does that count? No fibs, either!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that counts! I hope you like it!
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUR ARTICLE IS FINE WIHT ME i never read the articles anyway i just look at hte pictures and say yeah i liked that game who reads magaazines anymore cycle no one cares
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: