The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

we are playing team fortress 2 on monday, december 17.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Blade Runner is not a great movie, even though I like the atmosphere and Harrison Frod and that chick and the way everything looks. And the universe, all the shit they got from the Phillip K Dick book. But, to quote Dracko, it's like they created this interesting universe and then failed to do anything good with it. Dracko was talking about Warhammer 40,000 when he said that, but it still stands. It's a pretty dumb movie. Especially the bit at the end where they're running about in the spooky-ooky house.

I feel the same way. Usually when I tell people, the conversation goes like this:
"Well. . . you understand that Deckard was a replicant, right?"
"Yes, I know."
"I mean, that's the whole point."
"Yeah. Still a shitty movie. Especially the stuff at the end. And Rutger Hauer, he can't act."
"I'm never speaking to you again."

Blade Runner 4 lyfe.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the movie Blade Runner is just all about the feel of it more than anything else. The atmosphere wins, for me, I guess, though it is amazing how different the movie feels than the book to me.

The book is more terrifying, I guess, in that uncertainty over anything, the feeling of not knowing even what the main character is, not knowing if the mood of your wife is generated by her own feelings or by some machine (completely left out of the movie), just a lot of that isn't in the movie.

I also think ti is a bit important to what was going on in sci fi movies at the time. You had all these happy versions of the future, and here comes blade runner with WELL THE FUTURE MIGHT BE SHIT. It was a different feel then, definitely, though it is one we have become used to now.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought dystopic visions of the future were pretty much par for the course in the 70's. Then Star Wars came along. Then there was a few happy sci-fi movies. But also there were some more sad sci-fi movies. Don't forget Alien had already been out a couple of years before Blade Runner, by the same director. I guess what Star Wars did was to allow Sci-Fi movies bigger budgets and set a precedent for the amount of explosions and action these movies had to have, and Blade Runner was perhaps the first major dystopic vision of the future made to fit this template.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing though is that very few of those dystopic visions of the future were set in cities, and not in some post apocalyptic cold war future. What makes Blade Runner a bit different is that it tried to not go too far past where we are, and paint something that does require a catastrophe or play on our fears of the present so much as play on a fear of the future.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget E.T., the ultimate Cute Alien movie. Of course, it came out at the same time as Carpenter's The Thing, which got blasted by the critics because well, it's one of the more lonely (in an existential sense) alien movies made.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Rutger Hauer, he can't act

LIES LIES LIES

surviving the game!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game you guys. Well, except for the whole abrupt ending thing. I hung around for a little bit but I can't host with my connection here so I felt helpless to start a new game.
boojiboy7 wrote:
More than any other XBL game, TF2 frustrates me.

Well, this is partially because you REALLY need team work and when you don't have enough people to make a strategy work it becomes very frustrating. This is especially so in very small groups like we were playing. It's almost a wholly different beast with 4on4. That said, on the PC I don't really run across this. Most games have someone who wants to defend, someone who wants to heal, and a fair share of support and offensive. Unless you run into some really messed up group you're going to pretty much be able to choose what you want. There was one match where I got 12 head shots in about 3 minutes, and it's one of the only times I was able to successfully play a support class because I felt that there was enough offense and defense that I could really spread out.

Anyways, yeah, good game guys! It was fun while it lasted.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't make it guys, a friend came in from out of town so I ended up hanging out with him instead.

I like Bladerunner the movie for the feel of it more than anything, the way they get the atmosphere set up just right. It makes me totally okay with the fact that they trimmed out some stuff from the book that might have made the movie better. Of course they did the exact opposite for A Scanner Darkly and tried to keep as much from the book intact and you could probably make a decent argument that the movie suffered a little for it.

Daph is right about Total Recall though. I think PKDs best book to movie adaptations come from his short stories. Excluding that Nic Cage crapfest Next, we have Scanners, Total Recall, and The Minority Report, which all managed to be decent movies first and foremost. Well, I don't know, Scanners might be a solid B movie by todays standards but the other two still hold up.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are nuts about your PKD opinions. Crazy I tell you.

aderack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scratchmonkey"Of course, it came out at the same time as Carpenter's The Thing, which got blasted by the critics because well, it's one of the more lonely (in an existential sense) alien movies made.[/quote]
I just got a copy of that, finally. On the cheap!

Just so everyone knows.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Scanners is PKD.

Also, Paycheck was PKD, and wasn't very good, if reviews are to be believed.

Total Recall is sweet, however.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he said Scanners, I think he meant Screamers.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Screamers. The story was called Second Variety though. Don't know where I got Scanners.

I saw The Thing for the first time about a year ago. It was a pretty great movie. Made me think about the videogame, whether it was worth it to play it or not. Apparently you can find and listen to the audio tape Kurt Russel's character made in the movie, which sounds kind of neat.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got scanners from the bag marked "awesome" probably.

also hauer apparently was in a 2002 rotoscoped adaptation of "the last words of dutch schultz" which i now apparently have to go find somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flesh & Blood was certainly something. His failed attempt at rape in it as well.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Yeah, Screamers. The story was called Second Variety though. Don't know where I got Scanners.

Oh ok, that makes more sense. I was just ready to have to find the story Scanners was based on, just to see what Dick's version was like. I like reading his versions, just because they are so different in aesthetics a lot of the time. This is one reason I don't think Ubik will ever become a movie, which is fine by me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I saw The Thing for the first time about a year ago. It was a pretty great movie. Made me think about the videogame, whether it was worth it to play it or not. Apparently you can find and listen to the audio tape Kurt Russel's character made in the movie, which sounds kind of neat.

You know how awesome the blood sequence is in the film? Imagine if it was someone different every time you watched it.

That's about how the game was described to me, because each time The Thing is someone else. I've been slightly more interested in the game since I heard that.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the game sounds great in concept, but the execution was awful, sad to say.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It controls awkwardly and has the same (or more) problems as every other control-a-squad-with-bad-AI PC game. But yeah, you start the game checking out the ruins of the base from the movie, and you can find Kurt Russell's tape. Neat.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lasa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also squanders its main selling point (blood test) by having people randomly infected when you reach certain checkpoints.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning through this thread, for a moment I thought you guys were talking about the Hidden. Anybody here tried that? I mean, yeah, I know most of the people involved in this thread to begin with were playing the Xbox 360 version. Still, I figured I can't be the ONLY one who plays the Orange Box on 360 while also having HL2 on Steam.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Orange Box on both the 360 and PC. I got it because it was cheaper than buying TF2 and EP1 (so I could play Minerva and a few other mods) separately on the PC. Also, i'm guessing there could be some awesome Portal mods in the future. Anyways, the console experience and PC experience is fairly different anyways.

I'll check out this Hidden thing you're talking about too.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, The Hidden is really awesome! Wow, it's like everything a game of hide and seek with guns should be. Although I feel that the pounce is a little... well, highly impractical to use for wall climbing.

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
This is one reason I don't think Ubik will ever become a movie, which is fine by me.

They made it into a game, though.
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO WANTS AN IP
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
boojiboy7 wrote:
This is one reason I don't think Ubik will ever become a movie, which is fine by me.

They made it into a game, though.

Really? I did not know this. Tell me more.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't ubik become the matrix?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: