The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Braying and Naying about Select Button Within
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parkbench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Braying and Naying about Select Button Within Reply with quote

Hi, my name is parkbench, and I'm addicted to Select Button.

But in all seriousness: I'm worried and concerend about what's happening over at SB. I want to clarify that I really like the place and I feel that some good discussion goes on there. But it's been really difficult lately.

For some time now there's been a gaggle of posters who are so far removed the civility of daily life that they will turn the mildest conversation into the most bitter, ugly vitriol, and it's hurting the place. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of seeing a thread get derailed in three posts. I know the place can do better. So I'm posting this as a kind of general petition/question to see if anybody is feeling the same way/what can be done about it.

The only thing I can think of is banning these users for a test period and seeing what happens. I'm pretty sure that after the initial wave things would settle down. It just seems like right now the approach the mods are taking is just "containment--" don't dish out any real kind of law and sometimes clean up some pretty ugly threads. Now I'm not a Fascist, but I swear to god if the mods just flex some of their muscle, bite the bullet, and ban some people for a good few months things will tone down. Or just delete the Axe? Maybe then people will grow out of one word posts that are funny approximately 1/10 of the time.

What's ridiculous is that these people are the same people always bitching about "this forum, this forum," when they're the ones causing the problem. They literally don't know how to be civil. Plus, if they really thought the place was bullshit they'd leave, but they're just as invested in it as the next guy: they're just doing it from this absurd ivory tower which I guess makes them feel good for the brief fifteen minute periods they browse the forums and piss on everything?

Maybe this seems out of place at TGQ but it's a sister community and I know if I posted this at SB the dunces would be in confederacy against me. I am frustrated!

Is it hopeless? I'm addicted, too, don'tcha know.

edit: just started reading this thread and decided SB isn't worth it.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same way for a long time. It was worst back at IC; when we switched to SB, I had hope that things would change. It didn't take long for the usual order to reassert itself.

Considering how frustrated I was with Select Button, I'm not sure why I was so interested in going to KE3 in June. It changed my opinion completely, particularly my opinion of Joe. As much as I hate his approach to communicating on the internet, I find I actually admire him.

I think I enjoy the community the most when I make a point not to care too much about it. If there's something you don't like about the forums, ignore that part. I ignore the axe and most posts after page 5 in every thread.

Always, always, always ignore the hostile elements. Brush them off with a smile, a shrug and a shake of the head, but never address them or respond to them. With practice you'll find you can screen them out completely and your quality of life will improve.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB isn't nearly as personal as TGQ, and that I think is affecting it negatively twofold: for one, it seems to perpetuate the aforementioned hostility that has bred rampant around the forums. I agree with you that it is unacceptable and I think this is the reason why. For two, after briefly glancing at the relationship thread, I realize that this is a thread that would not end up well on SB simply because of the aforementioned impersonality. People aren't invested enough in the forums; it's not a cool place to hang out and share ideas and be friends with people to them, it's just a place where words appear on the internet. It is perhaps this level of abstraction that prevents a lot of things from happening on the forums, but I'm not sure what one can do about it.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting a lot more at SB, but it's only because TGQ got blocked at my work Sad

Anyone know where dess went?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting a lot more at SB because TGQ is going through a slow phase these days.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've been posting a lot more at SB, but it's only because TGQ got blocked at my work Sad

Anyone know where dess went?

-Wes
To Daphaknee's house.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a frustrating sort of place.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko I thought you were banned from SB.

Guys should I keep posting in this forum? I get the impression I mostly just irritate people here.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You add much needed colour to the forums. (see what I did there)

In these tough times, when even our editor has abandoned us, we need you Brits more than ever! Always so prim and cheerful, ready to inject pederasty into the most droll discussions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Guys should I keep posting in this forum? I get the impression I mostly just irritate people here.

Would this big hug I got for you right here prove otherwise? If so, c'mere, you!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Seriously? I'll lead the Keep Harveyjames at TGQ campaign.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone loves you, you silly goose.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's too bad I can't find a bigger pic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true it hurts.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench, at last you come crawling back to us.

these forums are smaller and tighter-knit; everyone knows someone else and it's hard to have drama because no one wants it. people who show up looking to start trouble are quickly ostracized and driven away (or acclimate). that the discussion here is more focused probably helps too.

i don't even check the selectbutton forums anymore. all the fake drama is just tiring, and the content isn't anything i can't find elsewhere.

posting from daphaknee's computer as she snuggles on the couch flicking through menus in bladestorm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
fake drama

That's more or less how Brandon puts it. Seems about right.

All that angriness does a number on a person's mood. I've got enough real things to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i <3 u guys in a decidedly COMPUTER LOVE kind of way
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
i <3 u guys in a decidedly COMPUTER LOVE kind of way

Right back atcha.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I quit posting at SB some time ago. i still check it every now and then (except for the axe) but i don't like half the people who post there, i'm pretty sure a lot of them don't like me (whereas EVERYONE likes me here), and there is just way too much bullshit and i don't see why i should waste my time there. i'm sure there are lots of people who enjoy it there, but it's not for me.

the new insert credit forums look like they might be more for me, but they are a little too slow right now plus it's very japan focused and i'm much more of a western gamer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
bladestorm.

which she played instead of team fortress with me!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I like Harveyjames, and I've never really even been to Insert Credit, and Dracko is more relevant than I am.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even looked at the Select Button forums, let alone the site itself.

Do I win a prize?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've inroduced people I know to SB that I swear I will never link to the Gamers Quarter.I kind of feel like it's not cool to do, but I like TGQ without them.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Everyone loves you, you silly goose.

I feel like the silliest goose alive!

I've seen the whole IC --> SB ---> ? cycle of forumpocalypse happen so many times now. Gamers start up a forum, it goes to shit, gamers start up a new breakaway forum, there is a couple of months of good times when everyone is on their best behaviour, then it all goes to shit again because it's all the same people as before.

The only forums which seem to remain consistant are the ones based around the cult of a personality, like those of comedy websites written by a single charismatic writer who also contributes to his own forum. WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT THE NATURE OF HUMANITY

Last edited by Harveyjames on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Dracko is more relevant than I am.

I haven't a clue what this means.

TGQ is still functional, Harvey.

Last edited by Dracko on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many TGQers are British?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm half-British, but I guess my passport makes me a British citizen.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your other half? Let me guess GERMAN

Dracko wrote:
[

I didn't consider TGQ a breakaway forum of IC, though.

I think the main reason TGQ survives untroulbed is because the relatively small amount of people posting means there's less need to resort to extreme behaviour to get noticed, and statistically less chance of there being people who feel the need to do so.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Dracko is more relevant than I am.

I haven't a clue what this means.

I just wanted to say something nice.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's nice!

Also Harvey, you horrible racist, my other half is French.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I think the main reason TGQ survives untroulbed is because the relatively small amount of people posting means there's less need to resort to extreme behaviour to get noticed, and statistically less chance of there being people who feel the need to do so.

you could argue that the gamer's quarter is based around a cult of personality/ies, in that there are a few posters here who tend to draw in new people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.

I'm posting here as one of those guys who actually joined this forum after reading your magazine and so when I say "I don't know what the fuck is up with Select Button" I mean it with a special kind of obliviousness. But not knowing what the fuck is up has never stopped me offensively commenting on anything before, so I'll just basically come out and say it: I don't understand this sort of morbid fascination a special sort of clique here seems to have with Select Button.

Okay, so you had a good or bad experience there, and yes, this is apparently some sort of "sister community" but the last couple of months, and I can only assume because of the troubles parkbench speaks of, have seen more than a few threads littered with comments about being banned from SB, coming here to avoid jerks on SB, swearing revenge on SB for killing their parents... I just don't understand this sort of hang-up that more than a few people seem to have here about Select Button. I enjoy this place immensely and I don't want to see it get to the point where it's the place to be because it's not somewhere else. This place has a lot of its own merits and it can stand pretty damn tall on them in my usually-less-than-humble opinion.

There, I said it. And by "it" I mean "basically nothing", but it had to be said anyway. Or not said, as the case may be.

Harvey, stick around, I like you.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
you could argue that the gamer's quarter is based around a cult of personality/ies, in that there are a few posters here who tend to draw in new people.

stop it, you're making me blush!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT ME

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unwashed, this is the second time on as many boards in the fairly recent past that I've seen somebody make basically the same post. It's as relevant here as it was relevant there* and I salute you, sir.

* - That is to say that I agree. All things will pass. Breathe out the bad juju, breathe in the good good juju. Rock over TGQ, rock over TCP/IP, Come Alive, You're in the Pepsi Generation.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where I belong on the internet. I feel I can be part of the problem on SB, and not, and I don't know.

Oh god what shall I do?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT ME

I think she was talking about Patrick. Who is Patrick, anyways?
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm part of the problem at SB.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT ME

Keep on telling yourself that. Without my acerbic sex appeal, this place wouldn't be fit for droppings!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESS CLEARLY MEANT ME, YOU NINNIES
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOBODY LIKES YOU, HARVEY
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT

I'M LEAVING
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I think she was talking about Patrick.

Well I'm glad I didn't have to say it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just said that so I could lay up Cycle's 'who's Patrick' joke, but he didn't take the bait
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Cycle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played, sir.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like im part of the problem at SB, but not because im an actual problem, but because every time i say something someone FREAKS OUT

also im really sick of how everyone hates everything at select button and fucking throws a huge hissy fit any time something unfamiliar shows up

also i can think of like 10 people off the top of my head who i absolutely loathe on that forum, i think its time to quit

but man i really liked that site at first! and there are some good people! they should just all come over here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOO
parkbench

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, sorry all if I'm also being part of the problem by "braying and naying," as it were. The thing is I felt this is the one place a pseudo-constructive meta-conversation on SB could maybe kinda happen, so I was hoping it would fall outside of the realm of intra-SB bitching (which is a disaster). I'm happy that I'm not alone on this.

But I also didn't realise insert credit's forums were put back up. I think this will be an interesting development. I heard several analogies being made over there of how the IC forums will (ideally) be the "university" and SB will be the "bar." Honestly, if people just naturally start being less cock-like (resembling large, misshapen penises, that is) over at IC, I feel that it's inevitable that people will start putting up with less at SB. So maybe we just have to wait.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench i looked at insert credit and it seems a lot like its just for discussion on japanese videogames only or something
its kinda
ugh i dont know why people are so snobby about their goddamn forums really

i never posted on insertcredit, infact, i tried to stay away from forums in general because of how goddamn cliquey they are. i dont understand why people pine and whine about wanting things to be like days of old because i went through some IC archives and it was basically exactly the same aside from some names being different but its all the same drama

i guess people picture things better in their head?

whatever ive made friends and most of them post over here anyway
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: