The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrading the day away (not 56k friendly)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: upgrading the day away (not 56k friendly) Reply with quote

first note: i now have an 7800gt and a 3700+ amd single core processor i would like to get rid of. let me know if you're interested.

so i installed my dual core opteron (180) and 8800gts ssc (640mb) today. and i took some photos:

this is what everything looked like beforehand. was getting shitty temps on my old 7800gt. airflow suffered. too many wires and bullshit.

even without the vga blower it looks like a bunch of crap.

thankfully lian li cases are like a blowjob from the tooth fairy - painless to take apart and rework. yeah yeah they're too expensive but whatevs.

so after taking all the power connections out i slid the mb tray out of the main case.

and then i removed the fan and heatsink from the processor.

not that you can really see from this picture but the paste had spread pretty badly. i'm lucky i didn't fuck anything up. (this had run many, many hours since i built it about 2 years ago)

took the old processor out and hey look pins:

and thusly the socket is empty.

moving on, you think that was a heatsink? now this is a heatsink:

holy shit it weighs like 50lb or something.

so the opteron sinks are much easier to install. plus you can't really fuck up plugging in a 939 socket processor unless you're an idiot. it takes no force and can only be plugged in from one direction. i missed a bunch of photos here but that's why i'm not a rockstar internet journalist.

that's the bottom of the heatsink - the heatspreader comes with a thermal pad you have to scrape off if you're going to use another grease or paste. i used ac5 cause that's what i had on hand and honestly it's never done me wrong. a wee dab and we're off to the races.

so i was successful in getting this part done. i cannot stress how much less force this required than the old single core 939 heatsink combo. still frightening with the amount of force you need to put the side latch down (which locks it into the mounting frame) but i got over that rather quick

then came the fun stuff (part 1)

i was honestly frightened by the size of this thing. it's a two slot card, with the second slot is taken up by the exhaust on the mounted heatsink/fan combo.

first snag of the day:

god fuck you video card, fuck you. but i managed to get one thumbscrew into the top mount and it feels super solid, so i'm not worried about the second. but i lost a good 20 minutes trying to strategize my way around this. bah.

joke #2

the card is the length of the motherboard, nearly. on the back of the video card there's a six pin pci-e power connector. of course it's 3mm away from the back of my hdd cage, and sliding everything in and out was a horrible pain in the ass.

but i persevered.

it also made getting this nonsense plugged in a total pain as well.

those are the connections for the power switch, reset and hdd light...that sort of stuff. lian li, being the pimp cadillac of cases, is helpful in bundling everything together in a reasonable manner. god bless their tiny yellow hearts.

so i managed this time to get the cables around in a much better manner. airflow is important, and i know a lot more about it than i did.

toss in the giant blower:

and we're done!

so far my gts temps after a crysis demo speedtests are pretty good - not yet above 70, which is pretty remarkable for air cooling and a card like that. more importantly, i got 55fps average with everything set to medium in crysis. i'm going to test out things like fear and whatnot later on. i also have to check compatibility with a lot of the steam games and a dual core processor. (there are workarounds in both win2k and xp, though i get the feeling i'm going to have to migrate over to just xp eventually.)

all told i'm very happy with this build and it went as smoothly as can be expected. took about two hours total, including the software installation for the new drivers and all that.

and as usual rivatuner is god.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: upgrading the day away (not 56k friendly) Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
moving on, you think that was a heatsink? now this is a heatsink:

holy shit it weighs like 50lb or something.

I've seen bigger ones.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reminding me why I'm a console gamer and treat my PCs like my laptops: no user serviceable parts inside, 'cept maybe a hard drive.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why? this stuff is awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the "interestingness" to "pain in the ass" ratio seems way out of whack.

Interestingness, not as a judgement of your phoojournal, which is pretty ok, but I find software has a lot more potential for being interesting than hardware, which just seems to get in the way.

I'm just bitter from getting my ass handed to me in my newly networked dorm, Duke Nukem 3D, my trusty 486-16 against all the freshman punks shiny new pentiums.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, it's just stuff. software is far more annoying, at least in terms of the amount of hours i've spent trying to fix stuff. hardware follows mostly simple rules. do a bit of reading and i guarantee nearly anyone could do it. (unless they had no arms or something)

of course i can understand not wanting to, in the same way i never really learned that much about cars despite my dad being a pretty good mechanic. just never got very interested in driving and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
eh, it's just stuff. software is far more annoying, at least in terms of the amount of hours i've spent trying to fix stuff. hardware follows mostly simple rules. do a bit of reading and i guarantee nearly anyone could do it. (unless they had no arms or something)

Hmm. Hardware has always seemed more opaque to me, i always feel as if I'm more at risk for something going wrong, and me having no idea how to gain insight as to why.

Software can be opaque (even open source stuff... no coder REALLY wants to learn some other coder's code) but it's also isolatable, and usually repeatable.

Or maybe I just now prefer tiny little cases, like the HP slimline stuff, that don't even have much room for all those big cards.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more fun with computer hardware back when I had my PowerMac G3 in 1998. I got the 266MHz processor up to 400 MHz with no additional cooling! (and it didn't even have a fan on it). I overclocked the 66MHz bus to 83MHz and put PC100 in! I bought a 3dfx Voodoo 3 and flashed it with beta firmware for use in a Macintosh (little endian vs. big endian). I bought a 17" CRT that went up to 1600x1200!

Things just aren't exciting to me anymore in the realm of computers Sad. I've currently got an Athlon X-2 5600+ and a 7800 GT and all that but where's the soul?

I'm not trying to shit up your thread dhex. And I really appreciate your enthusiasm. I wish I could get more excited about computers these days... maybe a fault of me making a career out of sitting at a computer.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the parallels of modders and ricers.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the water cooling systems lack only wheels and the singularity would be complete. blacklight tubing, acrylic cases, etc.

Quote:
I'm not trying to shit up your thread dhex. And I really appreciate your enthusiasm. I wish I could get more excited about computers these days... maybe a fault of me making a career out of sitting at a computer.

not at all! i feel the same way towards printers.

speaking of software hl2 is now totally shitted up. apparently source does not play well with the 8800 series.

oh hell repost:

Quote:

ok so source engine woes abound - with episode 2, portal and episode 1:

now, with antialiasing kicked up to the highest (i was blinded by hubris) it ran really amazing for about 30 seconds and then turned into a white blur. after that i was unable to run any source game until i reinstalled drivers.

this is with anti-aliasing disabled (though you can see the motion blur kickin it pretty neat...motion blur is the next big thing i think.

anyway, i tried turning on and off all sorts of stuff, kept the texture levels low, then high, then low. restarted, etc.

this is in windows 2000, all service packs installed, and using five different driver sets at this point - i even went back to some really old ones from february of this year. still the same thing. i have not yet tried it in my xp install of steam - but i have the feeling that's the next step.

the pictures below are what i get currently.

so anyway without further ado i present half life 2 episode 2 covering gantz graf.

(really the resemblance is uncanny. or perhaps i am just a nerd.)

as you can see it gets more and more nutty until the darkness finally claims me.

no overclocking whatsoever, beyond whatever the 8800gts ssc does out of the box. temps on the ssc are very good - they're better in xp for some reason by a few degrees but i've not yet gone over 70 degrees! under load (after an hour of crysis demo). everything else runs so pretty it makes me weep a teeny bit.

opteron 180 dual core
2 gb ram
nf41 motherboard
8800gts ssc
windows 2000

it's a shame cause stalker etc look amazing totally cranked. and man i love stalker. (best endgame in a long, long time.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy the surge in research whenever I'm getting ready to upgrade. I generally ignore everything for a few years, then for a month or two I'll have 8 tabs up, all day, on different tech sites trying to figure out the new terminology and products. The system I'm on now is the first one I built myself, and I really enjoyed the trial and error process. The only thing I'm curious about now is my RAM, due to a blue screen IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL crash and that Vista has my 2 gigs at 54% when my system is idle.

I ran a CheckItDiagnostics test on the RAM but it showed everything as being fine. It's only in cases like this, where I feel pretty lost, that I get irked. Still, it was a fun process and I like knowing exactly what's what in there.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man vista seems 3 flavors of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually don't use it. I bought Vista Ultimate when I was upgrading, but partitioned my drive into two parts of 150 gigs each, with XP Professional SP2 and Vista Ultimate. The only thing I've ever done in Vista was log in to see what it looked like, fiddle with the weather thing and add a photo to the side slideshow deal.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a B+W HP Laserjet to work with Vista just wasn't happening.

I guess technically it's a "software" problem, but I think device drivers are in that evil no man's land.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Vista screws that up hard. I think it's HP? maybe Canon? where none of their printers work with Vista. I guess that has been fixed, though. I went to look up which company is was, but a search for printers not working with Vista brings up every manufacturer there is, even little Lexmark.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

source engine issues fixed with 162.62 drivers. even with AA enabled. no idea why.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's just the "interestingness" to "pain in the ass" ratio seems way out of whack.

Interestingness, not as a judgement of your phoojournal, which is pretty ok, but I find software has a lot more potential for being interesting than hardware, which just seems to get in the way.

...i always feel as if I'm more at risk for something going wrong, and me having no idea how to gain insight as to why.

It's interesting. It's not as daunting as you think it is. About 4 or 5 months ago I would've been afraid to even look at the inside of my case. But now it's open all the time--mostly because of hardware problems. That'll do it, really. I had such an unending deluge of ridiculous hardware issues that I had to learn the inside of the thing. And like I said it's not that bad.

Once you get used to it and learn it, it makes you feel a lot safer--I'm sure this is how mechanics feel about cars. I mean I had a fairly good power-user's knowledge of the OS-side of things beforehand, but the machine was still kind of this mysterious box to me even after all these years. Learning how to manipulate its parts taught me more about everything, including just how to interact with my hard drives on the software side of things.

So yeah. it's great.

Also: Vista = no.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it definitely helped me understand from an early age how x fit into y and whatnot. i used to get hand me down pcs from 4 or 5 years behind the curve from my aunt, many of which would act weird for no good reason. i had no idea of course that a dual 5.25 disk drive tandy wasn't the coolest thing ever. plus when you take something apart you learn to put it back together right quick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's cool that PCs aren't as blackbox as other electronics in our lives...
but still, I do buy these desktops that are about as compactly assembled as a laptop so I have fewer options.

That said, I *really* need to figure out what's causing this power short that causes my computer to auto-power-down... if it's something in the wall, the plugs, or the PC itself...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's what we're here for:

when does the power shut off?
is it random? does it happen when you're doing something fancy pants?
do you get a BSOD or any kind of error message or is it more like "i'm gonna go reboot now so fuck y'all" type stuff?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Source engine problems were crazier than mine! They look more awesome though. I was just getting flickering.
dhex wrote:
source engine issues fixed with 162.62 drivers. even with AA enabled. no idea why.

Yeah, I was going to tell you to make sure these are updated. I updated mine and all my issues vanished.

That's a beast of a heatsync. You could probably run Crysis on High settings btw. I'm not sure why you haven't tried.

Also, Kirkjerk, I built my first PC in 8 years last month and it was easy/fun. Don't worry too much about it, it's not bad at all.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to tell you to make sure these are updated. I updated mine and all my issues vanished.

the funny thing was these were one step back - the updated drivers were the ones that had the problem in the first place.

weirdness.

i'm going to do some stressing on crysis now actually as a good way to judge how things are going tempwise. the gpu seems to idle at 56 - 60 degrees and loads up to 75 degrees with the fan at 60%. which is pretty amazing really.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, interesting.

My card normally runs at about 46 degrees when it's not doing anything. It gets going and hits 60 no problem with anything that's new or with the settings on everything cranked up. The thing is that I played through the Crysis demo twice before I realized that my vid card was heating up and only staying at 30% fan speeds. I should have melted this card and didn't. That's pretty impressive to me.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well that's what we're here for:

when does the power shut off?
is it random? does it happen when you're doing something fancy pants?
do you get a BSOD or any kind of error message or is it more like "i'm gonna go reboot now so fuck y'all" type stuff?

So this is one of those HP slimline PCs.
Happened even with casual web use.
But doesn't happen unattended, I can leave it running overnight for a day or two.

So I'm just lightly using a browser, and bip, monitor is showing me "no signal", and I have to press the power switch and start up the PC.

It could be the cause is really mundane, like a kicked plug (I'm always kicking out the ethernet at work) - it's a real mess of wires under there, and I thought maybe I isolated it to this one "squid" surge protector I'm using, like its switch was in a vulnerable place, but I'm 90% sure my feet were firmly planted and no switch was vulnerable and all plugs secure last time it happened.

I'm toying with buying a UPS, though the last one didn't work out, I lost the manual and couldn't get it to stop beeping... I got the impression that it was beeping that its battery was low and recharging, which is a bit dumb of it, and it would never shut up.

So I'm overdue for a re-evaluation of my PC setup in general. Maybe not trying to lowball on the UPS is a good idea anyway, set it up, and see if it still happens.
parkbench

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's only when you start a program? Sounds like an HD issue to me...though what do I know? It's just that I used to have a similar problem with my desktop--leaving it on was fine but the moment I launched any programs that were accessing off the main drive things would freeze up or crash. It was because my HD was stups. So it might be that.

Try running anything off an ext or a thumb drive and see if it still happens.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
So it's only when you start a program? Sounds like an HD issue to me...though what do I know? It's just that I used to have a similar problem with my desktop--leaving it on was fine but the moment I launched any programs that were accessing off the main drive things would freeze up or crash. It was because my HD was stups. So it might be that.

Well, it doesn't seem more likely to happen just as I launch a program, if that's what you're implying...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power supply or hd would be my first guess. can you defrag it or copy large batches of files without it flipping out, or does it seem random?

if it's random it's probably the power supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: