The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tabletop tomfooleries!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Tabletop tomfooleries! Reply with quote

Derailing threads has gone on long enough, this is now the place to contain all your tabletop wargaming discussion and all the cool shit that comes associated with it. Well, cool when you are with your like-minded fellows that is. Mention it around someone of the opposite gender and you come off like the old bloke with no friends, in the basement with his trains. Oh dear, all the ones that got away ;_;

Never mind that jive, continue the discussioning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Tim, but you might know me as The Great Unwashed.

I bin' playing Warhammer, 40K and Fantasy for about ten years. I run Radical Daemonhunters, Orks and Tomb Kings. I also am a huge GW fanboy anyway, slavering as I am over Warhammer Online and wasting hours discussing how great a 40K MMO could be if they don't shaft it.

I own Hero Quest and I painted all the little figurines.

Yesterday I purchased the repackaged Talisman (link) and it is hands down the prettiest, shiniest and most well-put-together board game I have ever seen. I was holding a copy of the new leaked Codex: Orks PDF hours after it dropped. I printed it out and bound it and had games with it the next day. I look at the Games Workshop site and see they're planning to reduce the number of boyz in the Ork box so you'll get 10 for $50 instead of 16 for $50 and I ponder how many boxes I can afford to buy before they make this change.

I got problems, doc.

I got real problems.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Who played Necromunda? Let's talk about Necromunda
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a Blood Bowl game is being made for XBLA, lads. Remember Mutant League Football?
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I hear a Blood Bowl game is being made for XBLA, lads. Remember Mutant League Football?

I remember the animated series... when I was twelve years old and my father used to take me to play soccer with him, with tons of fat old guys and skinny young guys, I'd come home beat and annoyed and lie under my warm red blanket and pretend I was in a "rejuvenator."

Oddly enough, I'd come out feeling great every time!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Necromunda is the sort of Social Darwinist environment that would lend itself well to gang-based missions with the occasional zombie or genestealer attack.

I think a Genestealer infestation was actually one of the scenarios in some crazy add-on pack. Our Necromunda campaign (if that's the word?) actually had Orks turn up in the badlands, and every week we'd roll a dice to see who had to fight them! At my house because I was dungeonmaster! I also produced a newsletter called Necromunda News which I passed around my schoolfriends so everyone knew what had happened that week! It was SO-O LA-AME

Oh and I started planning an epic total conversion of Quake which would turn it into Necromunda. I got as far as doing a bunch of concept art and planning how I would construct the characters as polygons, and I made most of the sound effects. I didn't have any ability in programming or 3D modelling, but told my 13-year-old self I would cross those hurdles when I came to them.

Obviously it got nowhere but the sound effects were all incorporated into Quake 40K: Chapter Honour.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Quake 40K: Chapter Honour. I remember it because I thought it was going to be like that RTS mod that someone did instead of the deathmatch with 40k models it turned out to be.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never actually played it.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried doing Space Hulk in DooM II but I never got further than changing the super shotgun into an autocannon in Dehacked.

Oh look, we talked about bloody Warhammer in the FPS thread and now we're on about bloody first person-shooters in the wargaming thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of my Warhammer 40K figures from quite a few years ago. I liked to paint (and otherwise customize) them, but I never had enough to really play the game.

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Impressive fins on the Dread. Those are old skool though, kicking it second-edition. Nice work!

Here's some of my stuff. There's some more recent WIPs, but this isn't a 40K forum, so, yep.

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to paint miniatures for DnD... yeah. I wasn't anywhere near as good.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they would just sell molds and really cheap "plasticlay", you could have some real fun with black powder and homemade napalm.

Too expensive otherwise.

I used to make cities out of construction paper, cereal boxes, etc. in a sandbox.

Then comes the fire.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

I would be all for a turn based Blood Bowl game. Though a mutant league football game would also be fun.

I like making terrain for tabletop games, even if I don't play the game. Some cardboard, masking tape, paint, and such can yield a ruined city with little difficulty.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabletop gaming seems to fall in the realm of "things I think would be better if a computer were managing all this detail crap". (Settlers of Catan, same thing)

I like (and still own) that one old Warhammer 40K reference guide, all the nihilistic and bellicose bon mots. ("every man is a spark in the darkness, a fading after image by the time its noticed", that kind of thing)
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaaa? Kirk, you're crazy. Settlers of Catan is entirely about player interaction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm a lot more fond of Who Stole My FIsh and Ave Caesar. Still a bit strategic but less involved.
I just hate juggling all these resource equivalences and crap needed to figure out what I can make.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I''d like to take a moment to say that the guy responsible for the NPC scripting in Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2 comes from a tabletop gaming background and that he's got a new blog at http://www.squaremans.com/ His name is Matchews and he is a good sort of person.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
I''d like to take a moment to say that the guy responsible for the NPC scripting in Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2 comes from a tabletop gaming background and that he's got a new blog at http://www.squaremans.com/ His name is Matchews and he is a good sort of person.

That's pretty cool! Mercenaries was very enjoyable and I look forward to the 360 port of the sequel. (I'm recently getting over my gaming buddy not liking it, saying it was 'too slow'. EDF 2017 was more up his alley, for better or worse)

That makes me think... is AI writing a specialty in the design industry? For example, when I think about making a Mario Party type game, one of the things that stops me is not having to make all that AI, but not wanting to require 4 humans either. (There was a miserable South Park party game, with possibly decent minigames if I ever tried 'em 4 players, but they punted on the AI and most of the games didn't make sense with less than 4 characters involved.)
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hear him say it, he was originally brought in as a freelancer just to write the lines of dialogue and he produced flowcharts of what they should say in various situations since Pandemic wanted it to be like Half-Life instead of having the talky bits in cutscenes. And he pretty much got drafted from punching up the dialogue to squad AI.

Pandemic didn't have a position for AI until he was put in it. It was kind of just something the programmers who didn't make the cut to do the physics stuff ended up doing before.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: