The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Questions About Two TV Shows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Two Questions About Two TV Shows Reply with quote

X-Files and Battlestar Gallactica.

I'm thinking about investing in them. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battlestar galactica is quite good, though i must admit some of the "secret cylons" are a little bit bewildering once you find them out. it's very dramatic and well-written. absolutely worth investing in.
although if you're talking about the classic iteration, it's super fucking campy, and if you're into that, bully for you you'll probably love it.

i prefer earlier x-files, where the content is largely episodic. actually i really started liking x-files again after a certain event happens during a certain season (i think 5?) and you have scully partnered with the t-1000. possibly worth investing in. i'd try to maybe catch a few reruns on FX or sci-fi or something and see if you fall in love with it.

if I might make a recommendation, if you find you're at least somewhat into X-Files, Millennium was an excellent show that may interest you. It's only 3 seasons, and you can probably get them all from half.com for reasonable prices and in good condition.

aderack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica is usually great, but anything over thirteen episodes per season results in horrible blatant and tedious filler. I mean, stories with absolutely no point to either plot or character and only a rehashed association with the setting, that you can't just skip because the B-plot usually has something to do with the ongoing story arc. Seasons two and three almost die from this effect, despite some amazing fantastic stuff in the majority of the episodes.

Season four is to be, in effect, two seasons squashed into one, so it should be a little richer.

Stop watching The X-Files after season seven and you've got one of the best shows ever. I understand that the last two seasons work okay if you pretend they're a different show entirely. I can't say for sure as they chased me away and I haven't ever gone back to catch up.

At least one of the major characters introduced (John Doggett) is awesome as hell [oh, yeah; as referenced above], and he should have been introduced earlier. It's unfortunate that he comes off as just a scab for Mulder, as he's such a great character in his own right.

About Millennium: Yeah, it's good. Though there's also a share of filler episodes in each season, you can just skip 'em this time. What's really interesting is that each season is completely different in tone and story. The first one gets a little repetitive. The second gets all X-filey. The third is a big jump to the left; in some ways it sits between the two earlier seasons; in some ways it's almost a different show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: