The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Films That You Are Anticipating!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Films That You Are Anticipating! Reply with quote

After staying away from theaters for the better part of the last few years, I want to try going back again.

What are the upcoming films that you interest you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synecdoche, New York.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Country For Old Men looks good, and I'll see I Am Legend because I want to give Richard Matheson a high-five and if they'll be able to do the ending right.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southland Tales. An australian release, anyway.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man, The Golden Compass and part of me really wants to see Across the Universe even though it's probably a chick flick I guess and been out in the rest of the world forever (fuck you, Australian distributors).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Across the Universe is beautiful. It's definitely not a chick flick. It gets really cheesy at times, but the whole is way, way, way greater than the sum of its parts. Simultaneously, it is a reflection of a specific historical/political time period through the lens of the Beatles' pop-art and an examination of where art comes from.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
(fuck you, Australian distributors).

AGREED.
god, Brick took what seemed like forever to come out round these parts.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's the same with games too - I mean how long have the Amerikans had Metroid Prime 3? Like a zillion years? I think so! It only came out here last week. It's pretty freaking outrageous.

But yes, I'm glad to hear these things about Across the Universe - the trailer I saw a good year ago was very intriguing and I would quite like to see it.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new movie is coming out soon called Be Kind Rewind featuring Mos Def and Jack Black. They play two owners of an independant video store in the mid-90's who accidentally wipe all their VHS tapes (Jack Black is magnetic?!) So, they begin to replace the movies with their own hand-made camcorder reproductions of the famous Hollywood movies they purport to stock! Their movies, full of goofy charm and invention, start to gain a cult following until copyright lawyers come to shut the store down! What will happen?

Sounds like an instant classic, right? Well get this, I haven't even told you the best bit yet: It's directed by Michel Gondry!!
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineapple Express, where Seth Rogen takes on action movies, directed by David Gordon Green.
Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Be Kind Rewind you get Jack Black dressed as Egon Spengler. If that's not an awesome movie, they're doing something wrong.

I heard they do it because they ruin all of a little old ladies' tapes, but maybe they changed the plot since I last read about it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this new movie 'Cloverfield' coming out in January of next year sounds excellent!

Quote:
Five young New Yorkers throw their friend a going-away party the night that a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city. Told from the point of view of their video camera, the film is a document of their attempt to survive the most surreal, horrifying event of their lives.

Godzilla gets the Blair Witch treatment. Awesome!
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
There's a new movie is coming out soon called Be Kind Rewind featuring Mos Def and Jack Black. They play two owners of an independant video store in the mid-90's who accidentally wipe all their VHS tapes (Jack Black is magnetic?!) So, they begin to replace the movies with their own hand-made camcorder reproductions of the famous Hollywood movies they purport to stock! Their movies, full of goofy charm and invention, start to gain a cult following until copyright lawyers come to shut the store down! What will happen?

Sounds like an instant classic, right? Well get this, I haven't even told you the best bit yet: It's directed by Michel Gondry!!

I need to see this.

Cloverfield is being done by the people responsible for Lost, you understand. This is a very, very bad sign.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH

But, you know, screw it

What bugged me the most about Lost was its stupid box-within-a-box way of drawing out suspense, which they could do indefinitely if they chose to, and there's so little else there for me I just ended up thinking 'TELL ME WHAT FUCKING HAPPENS ALREADY', especially when all the creepy OMGWUTWASTHAT moments turn out to just be something pretty insignificant in the next episode.

No chance of that here though! It's 90 minutes long! It's Godzilla! Bring it on!
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Lost is just the work of hacks, but I get your point. That still wouldn't stop the revelation from being something utterly lame, though.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/34907

I'm still very un-sure about how this will turn out.
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to The Mist which, I'm told, is out already but seems like it could be good.

I'm also semi-excited (elevated from tepid) regarding Iron Man, and oh god I am peeing myself right now about I am Legend.

I don't really know what else is coming up. The Golden Compass looks cute! I probably won't get to see it. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: