The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i'm going to videogame school.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Koyaanisqatsi

and Die Hard, that was good
beige

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - this looks like an excellent opportunity. I gave a lot of thought to doing a program like this.

What kind of materials did they require from you in the portfolio?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess should watch Children of Men.

Again, congrats.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She should watch Cuaron's whole oeuvre.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to give me more credit i showed you the life aquatic and branded to kill

we will watch tokyo drifter and santa sangre and possibly THE HOLY MOUNTAIN in dess day -2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is wonderful news! you should attempt to smuggle us the projects you and your team produce.

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
you need to give me more credit i showed you the life aquatic and branded to kill

yes you did, and they were both fantastic.

so were the freddy movies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beige wrote:
What kind of materials did they require from you in the portfolio?

first i had to chart out, on graph paper, a short 2d platforming stage according to their specifications (which sound a lot like super mario bros.). there was a checklist of elements i had to incorporate. now that i've been accepted, i'll post the level design if anyone wants to see.

then, a technical aptitude exercize. there were a number of tasks in a number of 3d engines to choose from: i chose to create a simple map in unrealed, two rooms joined by a corridor, with lighting and a player start point.

finally, examples of my work, documented in digital format. i sent videos of invader, pod and under the crack, along with detailed descriptions of my intentions.

later i was interviewed by a professor, over the phone.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to see your level
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I like Koyaanisqatsi

both wonderful movies, i think die hard is my favorite christmas movie
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in explanation, i wrote:
My level is set on a broken pier on the edge of the sea. The player, who starts in the water, aspires to reach the sky (seabirds are visible, out of reach, on the first screen). In the water the player can move freely (by holding the spacebar to ascend, as with flight); out of water she is subject to normal gravity, which means a constant pull back toward the sea. The sky is difficult but liberating; the water is easy but dangerous and stifling. Her ultimate goal is to achieve the same freedom in the sky as she enjoys underwater.

BIRDS

Helping to support the player outside of the water are seabirds, who allow the player to stand on their backs. Her weight weighs them down, causing them to sink; if a bird touches the surface of the water, it will squawk, drop the player, and return to its starting position. The player must keep jumping to keep from falling back into the water. One set of birds is positioned so close to the water that the player has just a moment to jump before being dropped; most of the birds rise towards the sky to direct the player toward her goal, and to reinforce it. There are also several (optional) instances where the player can progress or gain a health pick-up by allowing a bird to sink before jumping.

FISH

Falling during a jumping puzzle means the player lands in the water; she’ll need to swim to an outcropping low enough for her to climb out (and try the jump again). The water is hazardous because it is inhabited by dangerous fish, who follow continuous horizontal paths indicated on the graph paper. Contact with a fish costs the player 20 health points. Fish at the surface can be jumped on by the player, causing her to bounce off. There is a series of jumps built around this mechanic (with a health pick-up as a reward), but the player has the option of taking an underwater route instead. The underwater route is difficult, requiring the player to dodge fish in a narrow area.

PICK-UPS

Hidden in underwater caves are health pick-ups, which help mitigate the damage received from being caught by fish. These caves are only expected to be found by players who fall into the water and thus have to deal with the fish, though the first cave (in plain sight) suggests that there are more to be found if the player is prepared to explore. The caves contain patrolling fish, and reaching the health pick-ups without taking additional damage involves careful timing.

There are also several health pick-ups outside of the water. These reward the player with a greater amount of health (10 rather than 5), but the player must solve tricky (optional) jumping puzzles to reach them. A player who explores thoroughly, solves the optional jumping puzzles and avoids touching any fish can finish the level with a full 100 health. The fastest route, indicated by a red line, ignores most of these, attempting to minimize time spent in the water.

There is also an invincibility pick-up hidden in an underwater cave. Reaching it involves careful timing, but the five seconds of invincibility allow the player to swim safely through a difficult, fish-infested passage (an optional route, if the player can’t solve the bouncing-off-fish sequence).

At the end of the stage, the player finds a series of feather pick-ups which enable her to fly, for five seconds each. The first two appear on the backs of birds, but the last two hang in mid-air, representing the player’s ultimate independence of the birds she has been relying on to keep her out of the water. The player must keep catching feathers or her flight will run out, dropping her into the water (which repeats forever to the right). When the player grabs the final feather, she lifts into the sky and the level is finished.

SIZE

I opted for a larger grid because I wanted all of the game elements to be proportionate to the player. The player is one grid unit wide and two tall. Seabirds are two units wide by one tall. Fish and pick-ups are one grid unit wide by one grid unit tall, half the player’s height and half the seabirds’ width. The player can jump to a height of four grid units and bounce (off a fish) to a height of six.

legend
page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Dess, you have to ask me to do the graphics for one of your games one day.

daphaknee wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
I like Koyaanisqatsi

both wonderful movies, i think die hard is my favorite christmas movie

See how I cleverly used one arty movie and one populist movie to give you a snapshot of my personality, there
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Nice. Dess, you have to ask me to do the graphics for one of your games one day.

james, would you like to do graphics for lesbian spider-queens of mars
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT DO IT JAMES DONT MAKE THAT GAME
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess you need to watch Buckaroo Bonzai still, I think.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't work out if the yellow virus in Daphnaknee's sig has a big nose or if he's about to be sick.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes about to be sick, hes really chunky and fat in the game too
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, does it snow in dallas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Yep, but it's rare and nothing compared to what you're used to.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
hes about to be sick, hes really chunky and fat in the game too

That's a whole new iconic cartoon facial expression I didn't know about! That's like a guitarist finding there's a seventh string hidden round the back! Actually it's more like finding a new minor chord.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey so how warm should i dress if i was going to visit dallas at the end of december

i realized that i have nothing but skirts and tshirts and thermals
and like one or two sweatshirts
and some legwarmers

but nothing for freezing weather
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean, pack the legwarmers.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just at the starting edge of seeing your breath cold.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
hey so how warm should i dress if i was going to visit dallas at the end of december

December 57.0° F 39.0° F - average high and low from weather.com. I lived near Dallas when I was younger, but that was mainly in the hell months - jan. - nov. - of this region.
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

It did on Thanksgiving, though it didn't stick.

It was huge snow too. Biggest I've ever seen (minding that I haven't seen much snow outside of a few winter storms and my trips to Colorado). Evidently there was some hail too?

Generally, we get more hail than snow.
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I recently received some clarification regarding SMU's policy of "what you do, we own." Evidently, as long as you don't make use of university resources to produce whatever it is that you are to be producing, SMU doesn't have a stake in it (or at least one that they can easily prove in court).

More obnoxiously, I've yet to find anyone who can actually point me to the place that I agreed that SMU could take what I make. My professor claimed it to be "implicit," which I've interpreted to mean that I never signed off on that.

A friend of mine proposed the scenario that if one makes something valuable while a student at SMU, then the school's team will issue a legal challenge for stake or ownership of said item. Of course, if it's valuable enough, then it's worth fighting them for it. However, it also stands to reason that the school won't bother with it unless they feel it could generate sufficient revenue for them to offset the costs of a legal battle.

My advice is to keep detailed, written records of whatever you do on your own time, taking care to note that SMU resources were not used in conjunction with whatever it is you're doing during that time (if this is a major concern to you in the first place).

From the sound of it though, SMU will own all of your work done for Guildhall and have a reasonably strong legal case for it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i think die hard is my favorite christmas movie
GREMLINS MOTHERFUCKER.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happiness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: