The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI: The McRib is back.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too young to remember much about Hawke. I have a badge from his campaign years ago, though! I wonder if it's worth any money!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I'm 22. He dropped out of office when I was 6, I don't remember anything about him. I just love reading up on him and Keatings hard-drinking, hard-voting mother-fucking-swearing style of politics and wishing I could have been there. Did you know Bob Hawke held a drinking record at Oxford Uni? 2.5 pints in eleven seconds. Two and a half pints!

On a related story, don't sell that badge because I will totally take it off your hot little hands.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool!

Unwashed who are you voting for this year. It's a tough choice! They're both pretty big risks at this point.

Also, i'll trade my badge for FIDDY BUCKS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIDDY bucks! Bitch for fiddy bucks I could fly over to wherever you are and Splinter-Cell-action-steal it outta yor hizzouse. And buy a Chiko roll on the way home.

But yeah, I don't know. I know who I'm not voting for, and his name is Howard. I'm not that convinced Rudd will do any better, but Howard's arrogant, reactionary and insultingly out-of-touch policies are driving Australia into the ground (not to mention his gloriously decorated history of being a complete fucking liar on nearly every issue). I'd sooner vote for a potplant than him, and his incredibly negative, dirty and factually dodgy advertising isn't helping either.

That said, Western Australia is horribly conservative, so I have almost no doubt I will be in the minority here, and WA will account for a large portion of the Liberal vote.

(Not for the Amerikans: yes, our conservative party is called the Liberal party)
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm tired of John and all they have been doing during this campaign is shitting on labor and not getting any good policies across. The whole Work Choice crap was a major cock-up. What the hell were they thinking? It's all been handled in the worst possible way.

The said, things were pretty shitty when things were under labor, but that was like 11 years ago and while Howard has done good things in the past, things have started to go downhill these last few years. I'm thinking of giving Rudd a go and seeing how he does, but it's still a really big risk, he could do wonders but he's more likely to cock up our economy pretty badly.

Maybe I'll just vote green.

Also, imagine wearing that badge at parties! Women will love you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else that may influence your vote: Labor have actually indicated they'll be prepared to give the Australian video game industry the funding it so desperately needs to stop being a licensed-game-driven shithole. Unlike the Liberals, who say that games aren't actually a valid medium for government incentives! Thanks, Helen Coonan!

Also, something that Howard doesn't like to talk about - when Howard was treasurer, before Fraser was beaten by Hawke to put Labor into government in 1983 - the economy was a fucking mess. Inflation and unemployment were at 11%. And interest rates? The thing he always criticises Labor for? 22%. Twenty. Two. Percent.

The simple fact of the matter, and the one that Howard doesn't go around telling anyone, is that the Liberals have only presided over a strong economy in their last three terms because Labor undertook massive economic reforms under the Hawke and Keating governments. It's been an incredible boom time globally and Australia has been in a position to enjoy it not because of anything the Libs have done, but because Labor set them up to do it. Sure, they've slashed public debt - it's easy to do when you won't spend any money on anything like education or hospitals.

Everything about Howard makes me sick. His "non-core promises", his lies, his backpedalling, his fear-politics, his lack of accountability, the fact he's basically got the Catholic Church's dick firmly in his mouth... I just really hope Australia has the good sense to say "It's been too long" and kick him out. Democracy suffers under absolute dominance and it's suffering harder than ever before.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor have promised so much though, and that is what worries me. I want to know which ones they will stand by, whiche ones they won't. They don't seem to have a real plan for many of them, some even sound incredibly unrealistic. It all sound great on paper, but I'm really worried about the execution.

I know what you're saying about Labor setting up Liberal, totally agree with that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I too am worried that Labor is promising things it can't deliver. But that's nothing different to the Liberals, who not only promise things they can't deliver, but deliver things they didn't tell anyone about (WorkChoices, cough cough).

Anyway, nobody's perfect, it's just really for me a contest between who I hate less rather than who I'd prefer to see in office.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a report on the Australian elections on Newsnight this evening. The Liberal Prime Minister is an old mummy and the leader of the opposition is a woman who used to present TV news, right?

Or a guy who can speak fluent Mandarin, I forgot which.

Anway I thought it was funny how the opposition have all these ties and clear bonds with the Asian community, who are a apparently a hugely important voting demographic in Australia, and the Goverment's response to this was to hang up some Chinese lanterns in their foyer somewhere.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

Or a guy who can speak fluent Mandarin, I forgot which.

That one. I watched some overseas coverage of our election on youtube, it was pretty embarrasing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only election coverage I watch is the Chaser and the bastards were too damn sensible about it. Obviously this is indicative of an upcoming move to Channel Nine, it's the only explanation for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost wish the Chaser would move to Channel Nine or something. They've basically stopped being funny since they started doing the War on Everything and devolved into a slightly more highbrow version of Jackass. It's stunts-a-million, smug humour and outrageously predictable posturing. It used to be gold. It used to be mandatory viewing. Now I don't even remember that it's on.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unfortunately agree with you unwashed. they've gone rather downhill.

they still have some golden moments, but most of it just feels like pointless random targets these days.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they the guys who drove a Delorian alongside the Prime Minister while dressed as Doc Emmet Brown? Because that was some not funny shit. It'd be funny if you drove it alongside an out-of-work Christopher Lloyd and asked him to get in so he can go back in time 3 years and stop himself from getting caught jerking off in an adult movie theater. If that had happened. I don't see very many other instances where that would be funny.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOTE SUBMITTED.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY VOTE IS ALSO SUBMITTED NOW TO AWAIT PROCESSING
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALP is looking good.

Watching the action on channel 2 is pretty amusing, it's suspected The Chaser are causing a bit of hub bub.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I voted. I voted so hard you should have seen it. Never have I voted so hard before.

I wouldn't be surprised that The Chaser are up to hijinks, I'm pretty sure I saw that fucking Chas Licciardello parading around in his Taliban costume earlier. The same one he had on in that whole APEC japery no doubt.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed their APEC stunt.

You could tell Julian Morrow's nerves were getting weaker quite rapidly the deeper they got into the compound.

Haha, it's pretty hilarious watching it on the ABC. It's like watching a football game, and the panelists are getting increasingly frustrated with the crowd.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALP has declared victory already! Shit a dick that was fast. Fast and excellent.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22815988-29277,00.html

It's about fucking time is all I can say.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOO

AUSTRALIA

FUCK YEAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PULP MILL FOR EVERY STREET.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to bring us down, rero Sad
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, that bubble boy movie with john travolta is totally on channel 31

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey do you guys here that?

Yes, I think it sounds like a Ruddslide.

!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i actually laughed when i first heard that term. OH AUSTRALIAN MEDIA, WHEN WILL YOU LEARN.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Ruddslide.

What.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
am i the only person on fucking earth who hates ruebens? man fuck those sandwiches

man now i have to call into question your taste in food because the reuben is the king of deli sandwiches.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is a reuben

australians, do we have these here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, man.

These people must be non-Australian, or worse, foreigners.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reuben is a good size amount of sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and (optional) thousand island dressing grilled up on some rye bread. i hope Australia has this.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TERRORISTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reuben can unite us all guys. Trust in its powers.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
A reuben is a good size amount of sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and (optional) thousand island dressing grilled up on some rye bread. i hope Australia has this.

That sounds pretty nice. We could easily make that here.

What's so special about a rueben anyway? I mean I order a chicken sandwich sometimes but I don't be all "Oh man, a chicken sandwich" about it. I mean it doesn't have a name or anything.

I guess I'm just wondering why this particular brand of sandwich is a sort of institution.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread just reminds me that i haven't had subway for a long time

i like the pizza subs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reuben is an institution for a lot of reasons. Firstly, it is an easy way to tell how good any deli is. Is their reuben tasty? Is the corned beef too dry? Questions such as these are important to evaluating a deli.

Secondly, it is a sandwich you can get like fucking anywhere that makes actual sandwiches. You don't have to think about it too much. It is just there.

Thirdly, at least from what I have seen in Cleveland, that fucker is like the best I am drunk and hungry food out there. And it does the trick.

Finally, it is just tasty.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder how popular yiros are in america

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yiros? I had to look it up on the internut. You mean kebabs. Or at least that's what you'd have to say here in WA if you didn't want to get blank-stared at.

Kebabs are fucking delicious.

I think I am going to try to make a reuben soon.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that's right, they are just called yiros in australia

i'm pretty sure they are our national "food to get when drunk or stoned" dish. we have 24 hour yiro stores down the main street.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, kebabs are not gyros. but both are quite good if made well.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is a gyro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure it is what you spell yiro, though for some reason in america it is spelled gyro (based on the greek spelling of the original, apparently). good stuff, that.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes

THis is the most I've laughed at Achewood in like ever

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11262007
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that made me laugh as much as every other achewood :O

not at all :O

BURN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kebab place not a minute away from me. It, unfortunately, is not open twenty four hours a day.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
it was all about POGS when i was in primary school.

Our school moved on quickly from POGS and onto MONOG which substituted real coins of money for the pogs, so you could make upwards of 30p at breaktime, enough to buy a milk!

This game was banned :(
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets try to remember things that were banned in our schools!

Tamagotchis!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 4 I was banned from dancing with my best friend Richard when the teacher played the theme from Hawaii 5-0 as a treat

It was a holding hands dance
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(no homo)

playing ninja turtles was also banned!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sucking lollipops

We got a bizarre lecture during playtime that 'Lollies are for Licking'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: