The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for harvey: the ayn rand thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It tells you not just what's happening in the world, but WHY~
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i consider the economist just about the best newsmagazine on earth so i'm curious as to what was really wrong with the article. the ICNC site is interesting, btw:

http://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/

the skills and conditions essay is worth a glance:
http://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/PDF/AckermanSkillsOrConditions.pdf
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I think Rand is really really funny. I have a game I play where I imagine her watching popular pieces of film or musicals or what have you and seeing her head explode in anger and it is beautiful. Seriously, watch any version of Rent this way. It makes it tolerable.

Also!

Greenspan hit it.

But yeah, anyone who takes her too seriously and I am all UGH WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU RAPE IS BAD.

EDIT: THIS IS BOOJIBOY UGH TOO MANY ACCOUNTS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're not big on the exile, but this pretty much levels out all the things that I found piss poor about it:

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=10127&IBLOCK_ID=35&phrase_id=4032
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i mean lol high school angry yearbook staff.

they're basically so far off the mark they're in space, but maybe they're just in love with putin. but to each their own. not that i'm on board with the economist's leaderboards generally. that's why i generally skip the first 15 pages (and not just because i won't be getting an emba in switzerland anytime soon) though i will read lexington (the column) pretty regularly if only to get that weird bbc-esque outsider slant on republicrat shenanigans.

oddly - or perhaps not so oddly - enough, i know plenty of harder-core libertizzles who hate the economist for similar reasons, including their being too wishy-washy about market solutions in some cases. (see above about angry yearbook staff)

so why do people have a hard on for putin? is it merely bush derangement syndrome writ large? that confuses me. i don't like bush at all, but running to hug hillary seems kinda nuts; expanding that out as enemy of my enemy shit is pretty wasteful. but human, no doubt.

for example: chavez is bad news, particularly for his own people. ok. this doesn't mean american anythings should be dicking around in venezeula. if private companies invest in an unstable region they should know full well the tradeoff for getting a jump in a market is that an autocratic fuckface might get all up in that. that's how things work. fuck them for getting fucked, and aside from opening trade with said countries it's really none of our business. let him ruin the country, but for god's sake don't get involved. not our fucking problem.

then again i would be quite happy to see a far more isolationist u.s. foreign policy, outside of even cost and morality issues involved; the world can fuck itself without our help, thank you very much. (this would have to see some kind of increase in immigration quotas and/or tariff reduction/elimination, but sadly i don't see any of this happening anytime soon)
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is about Putin-love. To wit, I don't like Putin, hate Russian tv, which my parents blast every second they're here, but I've never gone for the relentless hype of Putin being Mr. Fascism.

I hate all news magazines, because when I came over here and started reading them, I spotted so much ludicrous shit about Russia that I couldn't read about anything else without wondering what kind of mistakes they're making. And then there were the assumptions that one had to have to read these things. As in, Britain-America, at least in their intentions, are always good, anything that Russia, or any other certified enemy of the Man, is always bad. The thing that irked me most of all were those stories about miserable Russians, how miserably they were doing everything. Now, we certainly had to shoulder the blame for that, we were the ones fucking things up, but what got was that there was a lot of fake pity in these stories, but more obvious was the smugness, the happiness that Russia got its due. And that any kind of Russian nationalism was bad and that Russia was good only in so far that it could, theoretically, resemble America one day. It was impossible to read a sufficiently long news story without hitting those assumptions, and the stories and editorials were always structured in such a way as to enforce assumptions.

Since everything I'd read in Newsweek, Time, NY Times, would smack of this. I went back to reading Russian magazines and newspapers. Yet, I couldn't. After reading them for a month, I noticed that they were filled with as many obvious biases, things that I never noticed before. And, well, I couldn't have it both ways. I couldn't bitch about the hypocrisy on the English language world, while praising the Russian press. So I had to jettison that too.

So now I don't read magazines at all, unless they have titles like Military History, WWII Review or Anime Insider on them. And if I have to look at the news, I'll make sure it's someone I can trust, like Justin Raimondo (that was a joke hex, though I like that no matter how things change, you can always count on him to say the same thing and make the same analogies every week).

As for that article you linked, nowhere does it mention tha Otpor in Yugoslavia was a Western funded operation and all they got in the was Yugoslavia being split yet again. This time into two even more shitty and pathetic countries and even more marginalization for the Serbs. I can't think of a single non-violent revolution (or violent one for that matter) in the last fifteen years that actually made a country better off. That's just one of the omissions that got me.

edit: isn't non-violent protest a joke anyway? In the sense that it's designed to provoke a violent reaction in the other side, so then you can claim the moral high-ground?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippies squatting my daily commute and being loud is still a form of violent harassment.

Gandhi didn't do shit except spit all over his son and let Nehru do all the real work.

dhex wrote:
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with social Darwinism.

i'm curious how you square this with the whole negative attachment you have to rand. or is this one of those staring into the abyss things?

Social Darwinists are simply more honest about who they are. While Randians are pathetic wretches who need to feel big and strong and so latch on to a book like gospel, calling all other people cowards, social Darwinists will derive an actual lesson from getting the crap beat out of him, whether physically or in a debate: Learn and grow strong, or phase out and die. Randians will just dismiss opponents as unenlightened or parasitical or whatever.

Pacifism is excruciating bullshit in an Objectivist context because Objectivism values Capital G Greed. You can't make your presence felt on the world for your own gain without stepping on people's toes. Every single life, human or other, grows and thrives at the expense of another.

Harveyjames wrote:
Dracko, you said you had too many accounts of Randroid misconduct to mention. What were the other occasions like?

There was a crush I once had - God, do I have the worse taste in crushes - a couple of years ago, but I don't feel comfortable talking about people I've ever picked a fancy to behind their backs. Before that, well, there was a large collection of Rand fanatics on and around campus. They'd always stick together, but they were by no means a small group. Around fifty people or so. They were all either law or medical students, or worse still, political students with their eyes set on a career. Truly, they all act the same, so it's hard for me to provide you even more incidents. There were many of them on sports team and reputed to being date rapists and all that other horrid shit you're liable to read about rich kids being scum.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had me scared for a second there with that raimondo thing bro. justin was easily one of the most argumentative people i've ever met online.

Quote:
that any kind of Russian nationalism was bad

i can understand this, though i tend to think of american nationalism as being bad pretty much in any context. nationalism is pretty fucking bad, generally speaking, except when it's harmless (soccer).

but as for the rest well yeah i mean you're part of resistance group abc: you either emigrate or you fight violently or you fight non-violently. emigration takes you off the table. violence tends to take you off the table, and only works in isolated contexts, in that you get another party to help you invade. which tends to not be so hot as well.

besides, you're given a whole slew of options with non-violence; strikes, walkouts, boycotts, media campaign demos, etc. there's an entire evolutionary psychology demonstration to be found in people willing to die for a cause as a martyr, as a victim. it's very important to human psychology, so even totalitarian governments are obsessed with the martyred dead, but you find it even in small ngo groups where a founder died or an activist was killed "in the line of duty" (you also find it in police, fire departments, etc). you may not like group abc but seeing them clubbed, shot and hosed (even with grainy video) provides an impact, an emotional impact, that sloganeering cannot.

that said, the flip side is as you mentioned - purity is very important. no outside influence, no outside money, none of that stuff will do anything but harm an organizational rep once it becomes public knowledge (regardless of what the group does).

anyway, as for the aftermath, hmm...i'm hard pressed to think of any states that do well after any kind of real upheaval. estonia seems to be one of the few exceptions. it takes a lot of time and a lot of stability, and is generally ugly. (poland comes to mind as well)

it certainly lacks the romance of hiding in the mountains and shooting villagers and whatnot, but the tamil tigers have been doing this shit for 32 years and have nothing to show for it outside of a lot of chaos. that kind of violence is a great way to help strengthen government response to both political and social liberty for the worse.

Quote:
Gandhi didn't do shit except spit all over his son and let Nehru do all the real work.

ehhh no. unless you don't think leaders and symbols are important. (man did it ever help the nazis got all up in the britishizness, though)

as for the rest:

Quote:
Every single life, human or other, grows and thrives at the expense of another.

eh, no. commerce is not a zero-sum game.

(status, however, is.)

Quote:
There was a crush I once had

a ha!

anyway you might dig this guy dracko:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8685900848583329138&q

or not. probably not. we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

ehhh no. unless you don't think leaders and symbols are important. (man did it ever help the nazis got all up in the britishizness, though)

You said it yourself: status is a zero-sum game. Gandhi didn't stop people from dying, that's for certain.

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Every single life, human or other, grows and thrives at the expense of another.

eh, no. commerce is not a zero-sum game.

I was about to say: Commerce is just about the only true compromise we've found to allow competition work for the best of us. I do believe in a free market. But even still, commerce requires, well, goods and capitals (including human assets) to work, and that still demands costs at the expense of other things and people.

dhex wrote:
Quote:
There was a crush I once had

a ha!

Yeah, yeah, I walked into that one. She wasn't bad people either. But we've all been there and however way its influenced my perspective on the matter of Objectivism is rather minimal. There are more infuriating experiences than that.

I will give that video a look right about now. Anything I should know about it going in?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we expect a little too much from our saints when we're young a little too little when we're old (to be nice and middle of the road about it).

(at least you're not on the gandhi was trained by the blavatskies as part of the international conspiracy against humanity tip. and yes that's a real tip, as it were.)

Quote:
I will give that video a look right about now. Anything I should know about it going in?

if you don't recognize the name chris hyatt then no, not really. if you do well then it's two hours of chris hyatt being interviewed by some dumbfuck. quite entertaining.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wrote a whole post with links and images that make fun of Estonia and now the internets ate it. I guess I'll just say that I don't like them and have many compelling reasons for continuing to do so. Such as,

It's great to be an SS veteran in Estonia, because I get full veteran's benefits and get lionized by the press as a freedom and get this good-ol' monument to myself, all the while bitching about Russian "fascism" whilst I enjoy my government denying it's Russian population - a third of the country - citizenship because they're illegal immigrants... " or were two generations ago. You know, this is the type of stuff that - were it done in Germany - would launch the careers of dozens of tendentious "moral" essayists and filmmakers. Yet, if the Baltic states do it then - hell why not - they get into the EU and NATO and get praised for being freedoms-are-us by the likes of Dick Cheney.

Oh, wells.

Anyway, the non-violent stuff worked for Estonia, because the commies were going down anyway. That stuff didn't fly too well on Stalin's watch, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the Estonian Occupation Museum is pretty down on both the Germans and the Russians.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, but, then again, their denials of the Nazi stuff have always struck me as perfunctory.

Case in point, one my relatives was booted out of her house in Estonia because she was an ethnic Russian and hence an "occupier" during that "non-violent" revolution. This was an 80-year-old woman and a WWII veteran anti-aircraft gunner. They didn't like her because the amount of planes she shot down qualifed her as "hero of a Soviet Union," which meant various perks. She had to come to Moscow and thank god my grandfather and the veteran's committee helped her out. I can understand being bitter about Russians, but kicking 80-year old women out on their asses into the snow kinda sacrifices the high-ground a bit, don't it?

And then there were the other stories I've heard. Like my high-school chemistry teacher telling me a biking trip he took across the USSR. He stopped with his friends in some Estonian town and while his friends were taking pisses in the bathroom, he was guarding their bikes and stuff. A guy came by and asked him what he was doing and he explained and the guy laughed and said, "You don't have to do that here. We don't any Russian scum in this town." My teacher recalled this story to demonstrate how that Russia needs more civic virtue, because had stolen something from somebody on that day, I forget the occasion. I didn't take it that way. It just made the Estonians sound like a bunch of assholes.

And then there were the stories that my father told me. He was drinking in a bar while on a review of the Baltic countries. And he was talking to some guy, who seemed perfectly rational for first five minutes, though after he found out that my father was in the communist party, he went into a long screed, saying that the "I'd soak all you commies with gas and torch you. The Germans didn't kill enough of your rotten yid kind."

This was in the fucking capital. He later asked someone to explain this vicious hate to him and the man said that the it was "because the Soviet government is run by Jews." And didn't elaborate. This type of stuff is self-evident, apparently.

I have dozens more stories like this.

If these types of anecdotes don't qualify as evidence, then, well, I don't know what to say.

I doubt that they're like that anymore, though. They're more Euro-suck-ups than anything, but I'm pretty sure that they're keeping hick nationalism burning under the veneer of groveling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's always very difficult to overcome anecdotal prejudice on a nationalistic/tribal level.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad the internets ate the rest.

is their "we're nords" campaign still going?
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you liked tribal bigotry so much, mike! Allow me to oblige then. Though I don't think I care enough to be sufficiently vicious about it. Here's a solution by one Kirill Pankratov. His article, titled "Always Somebody's Bitch," should tell you all you need to know about his views on the Baltics. For the rest of us, though, here you are. Totally unfair and filled with omissions, but enjoyable if you like indulging in Russian nationalism now and then.

Quote:

Over the past few weeks surrounding the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany, some former Soviet satellites raised a big stink demanding an apology from Russia for the "occupation" after WWII. Russia should really apologize for one mistake. They shouldn’t have extended an invitation to the likes of Latvia and Estonia in the first place.

What’s the point of having these little Nazi stooges at the Moscow parade anyway?

Russian officials engaged in rather tortuous and silly rhetoric denying the "occupation." Frankly, it’s a pointless argument. If you’re a small, piddling principality in the vicinity of big serious powers, you get stomped, period. You can call it "occupation," "domination," "vassalage." It does not change things much. You’re just a freaking doormat. You’re told what to do, and are obliged to lick the big boots that rule over you.

They say there is no greater fury than a woman scorned. There is a corollary to this statement, based on the same logic of a weaker party. There is no greater hatred than a little vassal country which spits on its former master whose power has waned. This hatred’s flip-side is an even greater zeal with which they proceed to grovel and lick the boots of their new masters. It has happened so many times in history and, no doubt, will continue.

There is one memorable line from an otherwise forgettable Stallone movie Cliffhanger, when the hero, his back to the wall, provokes the bad guy: "In a minute I may be dead, but you’ll always be an asshole." Russia may be down or out—proven by history to be a rather temporary condition—but you’ll always be small, utterly insignificant ass-lickers, extending wet and willing tongues before your masters, whoever they may be.

Yes, building a large empire often required a lot of blood. But pipsqueak nations are no less bloodthirsty—just small, with a limited capability. When they have their chance for rape and pillage, they usually jump at it with greater zeal than bigger predators, who can often afford to be more lazy and forgiving.

In many countries the locals collaborated in the Nazi racial "purification" policy. But only in Latvia and Estonia did they exterminate nearly all their Jews and other minorities even before Nazis set up their administrations in 1941—and with the most gleeful enthusiasm they bragged to their German masters how efficiently they solved the "Jewish question." For many of them it was their proudest moment in history—that Nazis regarded them as the second-grade suckers, to be subjugated, unlike others, of the third-grade stock, to be exterminated completely.

Let’s review how and why some countries become great, some—just big, and others—neither big nor great. There is a lot of silly bullshit in this respect. Some think it is usually a matter of geography, like when a country occupies a separate island, or is bounded by rivers and mountain ranges. This is certainly wrong. A great nation can begin with a small island, but it would outgrow small confines if it has a will to do so. Ancient Greece—one of the greatest civilizations in history—began with just a motley collection of rocky islands and mountain valleys. You’d never guess looking at today’s Brit brats, but they used to be genuinely great country in the 19th century. And the most remarkable example, Venice, had its core territory a small swampy island, which Romans ignored completely in all their 1000-year history. And yet it had been a truly great, magnificent empire for a time, in the late 15th-early 16th century.

Basically, some countries remain small, pathetic nobodies for the same reason some soccer teams are stuck in a third league, while others compete in the premier league championship. Can you spell l-o-s-e-r? Surely, even if you’re in the third league, there will be some passionate fans around your village, getting drunk toasting your little victories and declaring your team the greatest thing on Earth. Occasionally even a glamorous big city magazine will mention your team, tickling your little engorged ego. But, damn… this is still a third echelon, and many spend their entire lives there.

History is a long affair. Over time, some people simply exhibit more drive and enterprising than others. Some decide to wake up earlier, explore new horizons, discover new lands, and fight for new possessions. Others decide to stay home and brag about how their beer is so much better than in the neighboring village. And even while in conquest, after a spell of pillage and slaughter, some decide to stay and commit to a long-term development of conquered lands. Others just steal some trophies, rape some local maidens, and hurry back to their villages, bragging about their exploits.

For example, Lithuania had its moment of greatness, back in 15th century. It was far larger in size than Russia at the time. Up to the middle of 17th century Russians had to defend themselves from Lithuanian and Polish incursions more often than attack these lands. In the 17th century the whole huge territory comprising today’s Ukraine, Belarus and western Russia was still up for grabs. There weren’t sharp ethnic or religious boundaries. These lands switched sides and passed from one hand to another many times. Why was it that Russia eventually became the biggest Eurasian power ever, and Lithuania (and Poland) ended up in a damp little corner of the Baltic Sea? In short—over a period of time Russian conquerors proved a little less corrupt, a little more tolerant and inclusive, a little more amenable to the long-term development of the occupied territories than the "democratic" thieving plutocracy of Polish magnates and stupid pretensions of its squabbling petty aristocracy, the szlachta.

When Ukraine was under Lithuanian and Polish control, the latter could not care less that hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians were captured and sold into brutal slavery in the Ottoman-allied Crimea, the biggest slave market still existing in Europe in the 18th century. In fact, Poles and Lithuanians were more likely to team up with Crimean Khans to raid Russian lands. Russia, in contrast to that, starting with Peter the Great, got serious about fighting slave-mongering khans, and kicked their asses for good. No wonder Ukraine ended up allied with Russia, and today (the Orange revolution notwithstanding) is incomparably closer to Russia in a cultural sense than to Poland or Lithuania.

Lithuania and Poland at least had their passing moments of greatness. Ever heard of a Great Latvia or Great Estonia? They were always just village hicks ruled by German barons, and later by Russians. The most famous Estonian (albeit ethnic German) I can think of, before the 20th century at least, was Fabian von Bellinghausen, the discoverer of Antarctica in 1820 as a co-commander of a Russian expedition. Had Estonia been a small independent country back then, his biggest expedition would probably have been to Stockholm, where he would have just bragged about how much cheaper beer was in Tallinn. And when they actually became independent and sailed to Stockholm, they mismanaged it so badly that their ship "Estonia" sank in 1994 with some nine hundred passengers, making it the biggest peace-time disaster in the open sea since the Titanic.

So you guys from that little corner of the Baltic, maybe you should have your own parade, proudly displaying your long wet tongues, so skilled in licking the boots of your masters. If history is any indication, you’ll need those skills for a long time to come.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't know you liked tribal bigotry so much, mike!

well now i think that's pretty obvious!

if only because it's so weird...like your grandfathers didn't have as much as my grandfathers, so on some kind of cosmic level that means...something.

actually just send him a picture of this guy:

JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicking into this I had a premonition. I kind of knew you were going to dredge up that photo. Don't ask me to explain why.

I guess I have to apologize for that guy now. But there's enough room in the world for him too, I guess. The thing that bothers me, though, is -- not that someone would dress like that, or that he happens to be of my peoples -- but that somebody posted that picture on the internets. I mean, surely that was posted as revenge for some misdeed. I have plenty of embarrassing photos myself ( gaudy Wu Ware buttondown shirt, bandana, rings and chains; my breakdancing crew looking like we'd just got off the train from Comptongrad to New Jack City), but I'd never show them to anyone (before you accuse me of being a wigger, I'll point out that I was into breakdancing because it made me and my friends the center of attention at school dances, and while I sometimes pined for a chocolatey complexion that would allow me to use the word "nigga" with impunity, I was also very much a Russian nationalist and therefore hated all non-palefaces, kind off.... like that guy... and the social sanctioning and very real physical violence that went with being a wigger meant that I kept my diction level high, and, well, I liked good breakdancing songs and that's all they ever were to me, for spiritual strength I'd always turned to J-pop).

Perhaps that photo is out of context. But then I can't imagine a context that could've brought that photo into existence that wouldn't 've already 've been fucked to begin with. Putin gets outed as a fascist, but making Russia stable enough for stuff like this is a much more serious crime.

I guess, you win this one, mike, but I'll be back.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, surely that was posted as revenge for some misdeed

oh come now you've met enough guidos to know this is simply not true.

JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low blow... I know you've been saving those things to hit me with again.

Man, mike, you're really hurting me now. I know you've pushed the Russians as guidos thing before and I do believe my denials are solid = Mike's experience comes mostly from Russian-Americans who are indeed as loathsome as Brooklyn's other tribes (he also compared Japs to Texans which wasn't COOL AT ALL; I am fairly liberal when it comes to these things, but there are certain lines which you may not cross if we are to remain on amicable terms, Mr. Hexler). These photographs are certainly damning, though I think my point still stands.

In the interests of fairness, I was going to post some photos of American hicks and wiggers, though I think readers will be familiar enough with them already. Though I'm unwilling to let this snide assault on my motherland slide, without delivering at least some kind of blow against the West. So let's get some chavs in here:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, I watched that interview and was with it for the first hour. The second hour deals with stuff I'm sure is interesting, but I simply do not get. And Hyatt's site leaves me a bit sceptical. Care to provide some insights?

Also, oh God, chavs. I used to live in a neighbourhood full of them.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew how to breakdance, just because.

(No, seriously.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

That guy is WICKED
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so chavs are pattern-coordinated white trash frat boys?

Quote:
he also compared Japs to Texans which wasn't COOL AT ALL; I am fairly liberal when it comes to these things, but there are certain lines which you may not cross if we are to remain on amicable terms, Mr. Hexler

in my defense, i did leave out a lot of baby raping jokes.

edit: also dude how can you not love that guy? he looks totally fucked, has crazy clothes and appears to be smoking a light cigarette.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so chavs are pattern-coordinated white trash frat boys?

I thought chavs were British wiggers.

More or less.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

edit: also dude how can you not love that guy? he looks totally fucked, has crazy clothes and appears to be smoking a light cigarette.

He seems to be trying to dress like Kanye or Pharrell using only what you can find on the high street, and he gets SO CLOSE but SO FAR and that's mainly becaise he's failed to spot that he's a different race from them.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude he's russian - even the most mild-mannered are so racist it makes the kkk feel like slackers. they're all like but we've got these robes and homeboy is like quoting some poet you'd never heard of and dropping all sorts of eugenicist stuff in some fancy meter that these hillbillies ain't never heard of. also they're drunk at 9 am and got in a bunch of fishing to boot which is a little too much for american hillbillies. this may or may not be why they're all into all that "teh joooooooooooos fucked up our great nation of pokemons."

on the other hand eastern europeans are fun to drink with if you can handle the mood swings. (they are much like middle aged women in that regard)

Quote:
dhex, I watched that interview and was with it for the first hour. The second hour deals with stuff I'm sure is interesting, but I simply do not get. And Hyatt's site leaves me a bit sceptical. Care to provide some insights?

oh you just seemed kinda gruff n' stuff and i thought of chris hyatt. if you find it used the psychopath's bible is worth reading though to be fair, i think it makes a better gift in some ways, really.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck, mike. Didja haveta go n' describe me in that first paragraph? Last time I get drunk around you, believe you me.

As for the guy, perhaps it's just the camera angle or the pose, but he looks like no Russian that I've ever seen. I mean, I've never seen anyone dress like that in Russia... though I haven't been back in five years and I hear from my sources that things have changed completely, perhaps this has become commonplace.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
dhex wrote:

That guy is WICKED

Mutant chipmunk tooth growth?

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As for the guy, perhaps it's just the camera angle or the pose, but he looks like no Russian that I've ever seen.

but outside of the hat, it's not really that hard to believe.

the jacket is terrible, but not terrible enough to be unbelievable, is it? (everything matches though)

i just love that picture cause every time i see it i hear biggie playing in the background and this guy is rapping along...

"who hell iz dees pajing mee?"
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Koyaanisqatsi on Youtube and it made me think about how Ayn Rand loved the New York skyline because it was a testament to the will of man, which got me thinking how if there's one thing that unites us on this forum besides videogames, it's that we all think Ayn Rand is a bitch. You know we're quite lucky to all have something in common like that.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harvey james i cant pick my livejournal icon of atlas giving himself head in this reply
im kind of sad
kind of

but yeah you're right
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enjoy all monsters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Also, oh God, chavs. I used to live in a neighbourhood full of them.

I was playing hangman at work with an irish co-worker and her word was chav which I think was kind of unfair since it's british slang (a chav walked in to the store mid way through the game as well)
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, no Irish person should ever use it. That's simply degrading to them.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was watching Koyaanisqatsi on Youtube and it made me think about how Ayn Rand loved the New York skyline because it was a testament to the will of man, which got me thinking how if there's one thing that unites us on this forum besides videogames, it's that we all think Ayn Rand is a bitch. You know we're quite lucky to all have something in common like that.

I forget if I mentioned but I've done some freelance w/ a relative of Nathaniel Branden, the guy who was making an Institute which probably had the best shot at bringing legitimacy to Objectivism. The he started sleeping with someone else, and Rand went into a rage and dismantled the institute.

Dumb bitch.

Then again I've always had a man crush on Eric Stoltz who played him in the movie.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidetrack: a friend made me watch koyaanisqatsi a long while back at like 5 in the morning. him and his wife at the time were all like oh man this is so depressing and, shit, i thought it was a testament to the human spirit and just how natural our supposed "unnatural" ways are. it was three kinds of uplifting.

edit: just as a sidenote, peoples personal lives and their artistic/philosophical lives should probably be measured with some caution. there has been many a philanderer and cheat who has done the world great good.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different generations experience the movie differently, its really neat to read reviews of it over the course of the years
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rand must be judged for anything, it's for being a shitty writer.

To quote one of the my favorite critics, "If you had to cut the bigots from a list of great 20th century writers you'd end up with no list."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Rand must be judged for anything, it's for being a shitty writer.

and yeah i don't see the negative side of koyanisetcetc but i also a) haven't seen the other two and b) am allergic to the naturalistic fallacy.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the other two!!

everyone lets just watch baraka!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Powasqatsi, probably because they'd got a different cinematographer by that point so it's not really all that great to look at. I only saw clips of the last one but it looked like it was made in one of those movie-maker programs that they released for the Mega-CD.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to butt in, but I wanted to tell you guys that I'm simultaneously reading The Fountainhead while playing Bioshock. Whoaaaaaaa!!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I don't mean to butt in, but I wanted to tell you guys that I'm simultaneously reading The Fountainhead while playing Bioshock. Whoaaaaaaa!!

At least "Bioshock" renders its characters in three dimensions.

(BAM!)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SNAP
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

why?

i kinda get it aesthetically though.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone lent it to me, so I'm trying to see what all the fuss is about.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm driving this topic back to Rand, just because.

I read The Fountainhead in 9th grade. I then read every bit of Rand I could, over the course of a few months--all her other fiction, outside of a play, and most of her non-fiction. I liked it. The cardboard cut-out characters and simplistic plotlines, though stupid now, had a pull then.

Nowadays I laugh at Rand. She was a nut. Her only "theories" that made any sense were those pertaining to economics and politics--even then, they're just hacked-up bits of libertarianism. Most of the time, her novels miss the point. The Fountainhead has that rape bit, which disturbs me on far too many levels. But on some rare instances, like the part in Atlas Shrugged when John Galt vows to stop the motor of the world, that's when I get what Rand was saying. There's just enough good to outweigh the bad in her novels, I think.

But even as I laugh at Rand and her belief system, there's still an appeal. I haven't touched one of the novels in a few years, and honestly I'm not sure I'd want to pull one from my bookshelf any time soon. I think why I like her in retrospect is because she introduced me to libertarianism--to free-market economics and the horrors of a state gone mad. I read reason because of Ayn Rand. Maybe she was the means to an end, for me?

I regard hardcore Objectivists (though I've only met the more docile kind, myself) the same as die-hard Communists, socialists or any other philosophical extreme: too nutty to take seriously. I mean, raping women is Heroic? What the fuck!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're actually making me want to read Atlas Shrugged.... I'm pretty good at taking the good parts of artists while ignoring the more unsavory parts of their ideologies (see: Michael Jackson).
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it, Harvey!
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, please put that talent to use on the works of awesome talent like Ike Turner, not Ayn Rand.

Please.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: