The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for harvey: the ayn rand thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the best Ike Turner tracks?

I also like Hitler for his branding and marketing. Not so much the holocaust. Also: Andy Warhol (no holocaust though).
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike and Tina's standards were classic. I think Rhino has a boxed set. I Wanna Take You Higher and Proud Mary were big hits because they were awsome. River Deep, Mountain High.

He did a solid take on Catfish Blues, solo. Othe solo stuff was Ike's Theme, and the entirety of Risin With The Blues is awesome. Oh, and we all know Rocket 88 is considered the first rock n roll track, though really it's just the first to use distorted guitar. Solid boogie woogie number though.

And he played the keyboards all over the Gorillaz CD Demon Days which I'm told was a decent effort.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know Ike's theme because at least two trip-hop artists sampled it back in the day on two different records. Yeah River Deep Mountain High is amazing. Apparently that earned Phil Spector a critical drubbing at the time because it wasn't mixed to sound good on FM radio! Dicks.

He plays a keyboard solo on one Gorillaz track, I think it's the one with MF Doom on it. It's great though.

I'll check out all those songs, thankyou

Which are the best Ayn Rand novels?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthem, because it's the shortest. But "best" is not a quality that applies to Rand's oeuvre.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of my libertizzles have told me to try anthem. i told them i already read we but still i love them regardless. so if you were hellbent, i guess you could start there.

also rand is still probably better than getting hardcore into some bad flavor of "everything is ok and made out of pillows" sri baba baba type bullshit, or naomi klein.

no one yells at buddhists for having long theological arguments (filled with heady nonsense) about the illusion of altruism, after all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because Buddhists rock.

But yeah, actually Harvey: You'd be better off reading Yevgeny Zamyatin's We. It's the book that Orwell ripped off for his libertarian wetnightmare 1984.

dhex: I honestly don't know. I find that kind of weak relativism embarrassing as well, but people who take Rand's and Goodkind's words as gospel are a deliberately vindictive and idiotic lot.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of buddhist fuckfaces out there, to be sure. i've met a bunch. (my buddhist to objectivist ratio is easily 40 to 1, even counting online)

also people are relatively ignorant about religions, particularly eastern ones, because it's easy to poach people out of their cash if you can rock it mysteries of the orient style. hence sri baba baba sing sing dingalong and his magic cash machine.

we and 1984
similarities: dystopic future.
differences: too immense to list.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking actual Buddhist disciples, though, not co-opters. There were actually churches quite near where I lived in France. I haven't met enough people making asses out of Eastern ideologies thankfully.

Unrelated, but dhex, read this.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the difference between an actual buddhist follower and a co-opter?

if it is what i think it is, i'm also thinking of actual buddhists. (there's a book on burmese buddhism that's quite enlightening on this point.)

what's a .cfr file?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought We had a lot more to do with Brave New World than 1984.

At least Huxley got the science to not be so wackily off.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthem is Rand's best, probably, since it doesn't shove itself down your throat. I like Atlas Shrugged--well, what I remember of it--but then again, I'm pretty crazy sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: