The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for harvey: the ayn rand thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: for harvey: the ayn rand thread Reply with quote

rand was an extremely didactic figure. she gained notoriety near the end of her life going on the egghead wasteland of sunday morning television and ending up on morton downey jr.'s popular talk show (think a more restrained springer meets bill o'reilly; i can't think of a british equivalent - can't find the clip either unfortunately)

she tends to be one of those authors whom nearly everyone has heard up but most folks don't read, myself included. (nonfiction is another story, i've read much of the relevant stuff.) i tried but i couldn't do it (and as i've noted, i read foucault in the bathroom for fun) but she seems to have this life-changing effect on enough people that, as young folk are wont to do, they latch onto her ideas as the cornerstone of an antinomian identity. (similar things happen with lots of authors, be they che or nietzche or carroll or whomever)

maybe some of the resurgence at least that you've seen is due to bioshock, or the long-rumored angelina joilie version of atlas shrugged, or perhaps it's part of a search for some kind of universalist concrete on which folks find some kind of justification. i can't answer that part (i don't notice much of a difference, really, but i run in odd circles)

my own personal take is almost entirely negative, but i see her as being a weird combination of max stirner and l. ron hubbard. that's not the negative part - nor is her deep contempt for anarchism and libertarianism - so much as her utter lack of engagement with the western tradition before declaring it all silly willy nilly and totally not manly and stuff. her personal life was appropriately messy, which doesn't mean a lot since most folks are fucked up, but it also highlights some of the issues with objectivism.

cathy young did a roundup of rand on her 100th birthday; you may find it interesting, though i don't agree with the conclusion much.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent, thank you very much!

I've heard Ayn Rand followers referred to as 'Randroids'. Is that fair? Have you ever come across any people for whom this term would be appropriate?

N.B. The closest I came as a teen to finding a role model whose teaching I would use to forge an antinomian identity, or whatever, was through reading interviews with cartoonist John K., who believed TV animation executives were agents of satan. I would tell people they were scum for liking any cartoon which didn't adhere to classical character animation principles. So I guess I was like one of those kids who is obsessed with Nietzche or Rand, except all my angry, unwavering principles only applied to fucking children's cartoons.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

God yes.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've actually only met one randoid in person; but i've met a few objectivist-ish folk who weren't bad people at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count your blessings.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, who were the Randroids you met, and where? What dd your interaction with them entail?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Christ, I don't want to have to list them. There are too many accounts, all painful.

You might remember a thread in Select Button's Forum Axe that I started as a joke quickly turning into a major and serious discussion about libertarianism (dhex was involved)? The OP was a copy-paste of one of many Randroids I knew online. This guy was a lawyer who'd gloat about being a manipulative shitbag (whether such accounts are true or not is anyone's easy guess) and wanted to become a fireman to get chicks. He'd often make claims that if he had too, he'd sooner kill millions with his own hands than compromise (he wouldn't, he just called everyone else). Funnier still, he said he had a theory about how morality controls the universe, much like the laws of physics or mathematics. When argued to the contrary (Here's a hint: Reality doesn't crumble when you kill or rape someone), he said we weren't listening, because it was just a theory, and refused to push the debate further ("2+2 = 4 no matter what you say, idiots! Killing people is wrong and reality refuses it!").

That's just online.

One Randroid I met in my first year of university, I threw down the stairs of my accommodation building. I was coming home from a night in town, and he just followed me all the way, this Rastafarian rapist fuck, going on about Ayn Rand and boasting about raping women because deep down they want it and it was a legitimate exertion of Our Hero's Power Upon Weaklings. It was a long walk, and I told him to back off numerous times. He claimed he lived on campus, so I just went with it, trying hard to ignore his ever loud claims to fame. In the end, he followed me up to the top floor of my building, where I lived, pressing me to enter a debate on the matter of rape ethics and doing what a Free, Heroic Man should do. It didn't end nicely, and I warned him that if I ever saw him anywhere in the building again, let alone near my apartment, I would toss him out of the window next time.

And yes, there was a large clique of Rand fanatics on my campus. All wanting to enter politics or become doctors or lawyers. Randroids have shit taste in pretty much everything, you have to be warned.

God, I've said enough already. Needless to say, Randroids are the most hypocritical scum of the Earth, and Rand was a cosmically bankrupt piece of shit. You want to make an argument for selfishness? Fine, I doubt I'd disagree. I don't veil it up as heroism, which is a romantic notion and has no place in something claiming to be objective. It's pure appropriation of an otherwise legitimate concept and turning it to shit and vinegar.

Cult of fucking Logic, Christ. And you thought Atheists were bad. These people make me feel like brutalising puppies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i don't know what to say but shit do you hang out with the wrong people.

i do enjoy your stories, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the guy who started this, and a few other scattered objectivists. They're mostly nice. I've never encountered Dracko-type Rand crazies. But speaking of, everyone knows that Terry Goodkind, author of the Sword of Truth series, is a crazy wacko objectivist, right? In fact, you can read some of the crazy rants from the books, they're linked here. It is absolutely the worst writing on earth. Combine with the worst philosophy on earth and you have comedy gold.

My favorite is the vignet about how a lifetime of being raped is a perfectly reasonable punishment for wanting to stay neutral during war. Yes, perfectly reasonable.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're pretty big on their fetishised rape, aren't they?

Let me make it clear: I have nothing against being objective in thinking. Quite the opposite. But Big O Objectivists tarnish any credibility that stance has. Sure, it's not like idiots in any group are a rarity, but this is a whole new level of idiocy.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracko you've never met any david icke fans have you?

that may be why i'm just all meh with rand cause like i've tasted crazysauce while wearing crazypants and doing a particularly crazy dance.

edit: also someone should start a dhex: here's a scifi/fantasy thread cause i totally don't understand how anyone can tolerate that shit for a millisecond. (again i read foucault in the bathroom for fun)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's her name pronounced? I'm always thinking it sounds like "Ann"; I've heard it pronounced something like "Ain".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Icke is hilarious, though. WATCH OUT FOR THEM LIZARD JEWS!

And yeah, most fantasy is shit. I don't hate it as a genre in itself, but I'm exceedingly sceptical when a series is recommended. I mean, how can something that sees a release almost annually and is over 600+ pages long be any good at all? That's not even considering the tropes and clichés which tend to pop up. It's worse than sci-fi half the time. I can count the worthwhile books on one hand.

I hear good things about A Song of Fire and Ice, though.

aderack wrote:
So how's her name pronounced? I'm always thinking it sounds like "Ann"; I've heard it pronounced something like "Ain".

I believe it's pronounced like the German "Ein".
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's pronounced like "Main" without the M. I still say it like ein though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ein" is correct, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One girl I knew when I was younger responded to me going off on an angry leftist tangent by rubbing up on me and asking if I would have the courage to murder her. I was confused and she tried to explain that she was an objectivist. And she kept asking if I'd have the courage to murder her, and she always tried to make "murder" sound like the sexiest word in the world.

She creeped me the hell out, and I put some distance between us as soon as I could. That was my first experience with Objectivism and it tainted all my persceptions of it since.

She later tried to grope her roommate in her (the roommate's) sleep and defended herself as being "courageous" when called on it.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
She later tried to grope her roommate in her (the roommate's) sleep and defended herself as being "courageous" when called on it.

Fucking disgusting. This is exactly what pisses me off about it: Romanticising your otherwise abusive and violent actions. It's belittling, disrespectful and reveals an utterly self-centred worldview. I'd sooner trust the barbarian hordes or militant fascists.

Is a child molester "courageous" for feeling up a child?

But hey, maybe her roommate was asking for it: Maybe the window was open and she was wearing very little clothing!
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

edit: also someone should start a dhex: here's a scifi/fantasy thread cause i totally don't understand how anyone can tolerate that shit for a millisecond. (again i read foucault in the bathroom for fun)

It's all about cannibalization.

Datamine the SF for kibbles and bits.

Plot/etc. may even be amusing.

By "scifi" do you include SF?

(Sci-fi being popcorn and SF being filet mignon.)
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courageous?

Like "it's better to get slapped sometimes and laid sometimes than to never get slapped and never get laid"?

Excelsior?

Kinda reminds me of the Sartre bit about having only one chance to get life right.

Don't really remember how that went.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't understand the distinction. what's the difference?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i don't understand the distinction. what's the difference?

SF is more sophisticated. Not just "Hard SF", which focuses on engineering (limited air/food/fuel supplies/etc.), but also some attempt at mapping the anthropological impact of technological development.

Sci-fi is sort of like "SF Lite".

There is a Sci-Fi channel on cable; I don't think an SF Channel would fly.

We can dig into this more later if you like.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a thread about it. Or bring it up in the Reading thread.
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Make a thread about it. Or bring it up in the Reading thread.

I will.

Later.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who don't know, I teach English at an underfunded, underperforming high-school in Philadelphia. A class set of any one book is a rarity. I walked into our mail room today and found a brochure advertising free class sets of The Fountainhead or Anthem. Seriously, these big O objectives are organized and target adolescents. That makes me sound like I think it's some conspiracy, when in reality I just don't like the books. Still, I would rather not have enough books than have plenty of Rand.

Edit: I read Anthem on a friend's recommendation in the eleventh grade. I thought it was the worst book I've ever read. I probably still feel that way.

Last edited by helicopterp on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're basically one step away from being cultists.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I should post about my trip to the Scientology and Dianetics Center near Goodge Street Station in London. It was some fascinating shit. It was so much fun I forgot to go in the arcade next to it on my way out.

Dracko wrote:

Fucking disgusting. This is exactly what pisses me off about it: Romanticising your otherwise abusive and violent actions. It's belittling, disrespectful and reveals an utterly self-centred worldview. I'd sooner trust the barbarian hordes or militant fascists.

I dunno guys, let's not look a gift horse in the mouth here!

I didn't think anyone took David Icke seriously, Even his books are all published by 'New David Icke Press'.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
One Randroid I met in my first year of university, I threw down the stairs of my accommodation building. I was coming home from a night in town, and he just followed me all the way, this Rastafarian rapist fuck, going on about Ayn Rand and boasting about raping women because deep down they want it and it was a legitimate exertion of Our Hero's Power Upon Weaklings. It was a long walk, and I told him to back off numerous times. He claimed he lived on campus, so I just went with it, trying hard to ignore his ever loud claims to fame. In the end, he followed me up to the top floor of my building, where I lived, pressing me to enter a debate on the matter of rape ethics and doing what a Free, Heroic Man should do. It didn't end nicely, and I warned him that if I ever saw him anywhere in the building again, let alone near my apartment, I would toss him out of the window next time.

i want to hear more about throwing this person down the stairs.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how many times has this happened? Don't ever meet up with Sczpaniak, it'll be like Act V of Hamlet.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what else to tell you, honestly.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you meet him? Were you alone that night? How did you lift him up, was he a big man? Were either of you drunk? Do you get into many fights?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did he react? do you think he understood the irony, given his earlier statements on the legitimate exertion of power on weaklings?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I didn't think anyone took David Icke seriously

oh ho ho ho ho ho.

sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Where did you meet him? Were you alone that night?

I was out in Norwich's Riverside club. I had been dragged out there by my floor mates. I don't like clubbing for the most part, but it was a good excuse to get out. We quickly went our own ways when we got there, so yes, I was alone. I met him on my way home, when I stopped by a chippy for a burger and shake. I was slightly buzzed, I admit, but I'm one of those people who sobers up when drunk and becomes more sociable, instead of turning sour, though this may very well have affected my patience (It's still over twenty minutes walk at a fast pace to get back to campus from the city centre). Anyway, while waiting for my order, some people I knew from the club stumbled in as well. They were talking about Nietzsche and ethics. I shared my stance on certain matters, and eventually Rand's name popped up. We more or less all agreed that she wasn't worth bothering with, when the offender in question piped up in his corner, quite vocally might I add, and started defending her unrelentingly and without pause. We simply ignored him. I got my order and headed off. That's when he started following me, and I told him to fuck off, to no avail. Norwich's streets at night are pretty much empty, and it was too late to catch a bus anyway, so I had to make do.

Harveyjames wrote:
How did you lift him up, was he a big man?

He was about my size and my frame. He was irritating me at my very doorstep and my emotional tolerance for rapists is nil as it is, so I hit him in the jaw with my elbow, which caught him by surprise. I then followed through by kneeing him in the genitals and stomach before dragging him to the staircase by his hair and clothes. That's how I tossed him down. He somehow managed to roll down two sets before stopping. I gave him my warning, and didn't bother to see what he got up to next. I just walked back to my room.

Harveyjames wrote:
Do you get into many fights?

Not really, no. When I was a teenager, I was pretty much the exact opposite of who I am now: I was naive, romantic and a push-over (I still am a confused dreamer, like that's a surprise to anyone). I avoided fights at all possible costs, dreading them, and was often the subject of bullying. I have been party to only a couple of serious fights, and in both instances managed to come up on top, which is simply astonishing to me in retrospect. I'm really not much in the strength department, but I've been known to be brutal, which seems to be enough.

dessgeega wrote:
how did he react? do you think he understood the irony, given his earlier statements on the legitimate exertion of power on weaklings?

Doubtful. This isn't a Nietzschean survivalist type or even a militant we're dealing with (I get along with those people just fine): These are people who use such ideas as means of excuses to justify their own abusive frailties over anything else. I think it was Anton LaVey actually, that said that reading about a strong philosophy and assimilating it does not make a weak person strong.

I'm fairly certain he must have thought me crazy for disagreeing with him. No, I don't think he got anything out of that lesson. But I didn't see him again, if indeed he was a student of the place.

Oh yeah, he also claimed to be an anarchist, further adding to the irony.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a hilariously delightful douchebag!

well in terms of a story. living it was probably less funny.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
For those of you who don't know, I teach English at an underfunded, underperforming high-school in Philadelphia. A class set of any one book is a rarity. I walked into our mail room today and found a brochure advertising free class sets of The Fountainhead or Anthem. Seriously, these big O objectives are organized and target adolescents. That makes me sound like I think it's some conspiracy, when in reality I just don't like the books. Still, I would rather not have enough books than have plenty of Rand.

Actually I think that would be great from a critical reading/thinking perspective, then again, I believe that there's a lot to learn from things that you feel are failures.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for example see the post I did on my blog about the Phantom Menace.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't known too many Randian wanna-be-ubermenschen, just a few shlubs.

My ex-wife thought "Atlas Shrugged" was the best book ever. She had read it multiple times, so I decide to give it a try back in the day.

Not a bad story, she can write powerfully, but her characters are as flat as shadows, just little pullstring puppets for the author's message. And that speech! Man was it hard to get through.

The wifey fesses up, she skips the big long John Galt speech. WTF?

I liked the Rand references in Bioshock, but I'm still at like 3/4 done.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys would it be okay to rape randians???
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearly not, for obvious reasons. even by rand's standards, odd though they were.

[insert tired "at least it's an ethos" line here]
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
clearly not, for obvious reasons. even by rand's standards, odd though they were.

[insert tired "at least it's an ethos" line here]

Man, I never thought I'd see Mike throw out a Walter Sobchak reference. I never thought that was your style big man.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko, you said you had too many accounts of Randroid misconduct to mention. What were the other occasions like?

When I was a feeble, squeaky-voiced 19-year-old, my first ever girlfriend got taken away from me by this very scary ex-army dude called Karl who had told me on more than one occasion he was going to 'fucking kill me'. One morning she told me that she and Karl had been sitting up in her room and Karl had been explaining 'how life worked' to her. I asked 'so how does it work?' and she said 'well, it's complex, it took him all night to explain it'. Cunt. My guess at the time was that he was a Scientologist because I'd read one webpage on it, but Objectivism seems like a good fit, given his behaviour.
The Soviet Onion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really fair to blame Rand for the behaviour of all these cunts who interpret objectivism as a kind of social Darwinism, though? She was a huge perv, clearly, and she encouraged the formation of her personality cult but objectivism itself is pretty explicitly pacifist.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, I never thought I'd see Mike throw out a Walter Sobchak reference. I never thought that was your style big man.

i gotta work with the material the zeitgeist gave me, bruh.

also doesn't beating up social darwinists pretty much prove their point?

and like if a tree falls in a forest...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soviet Onion wrote:
Is it really fair to blame Rand for the behaviour of all these cunts who interpret objectivism as a kind of social Darwinism, though?

Yes.

There's nothing wrong with social Darwinism.

Harvey: Karl sounds and likely is a cunt who needs a good braining and you really didn't lose out on that deal, it sounds.

I'll get into some other examples later. I'm tired and the day isn't over yet.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
[

also doesn't beating up social darwinists pretty much prove their point?

Man, that's some funny shit. I'm imagining it now.

And, yeah, I liked the Big Lebowski. I just didn't expect you to referrence it, is all I'm saying.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soviet Onion wrote:
She was a huge perv, clearly, and she encouraged the formation of her personality cult but objectivism itself is pretty explicitly pacifist.

For a minute I thought you were talking about my ex-girlfriend.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacifism is pretty bullshit, especially in an Objectivist context. Just saying.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with social Darwinism.

i'm curious how you square this with the whole negative attachment you have to rand. or is this one of those staring into the abyss things?

social darwinism doesn't really exist, anyway. and i'll smash any who say otherwise!

har har.

anyhoo, i appreciate pacifism on many levels, particularly its religious vicissitudes; and actually, if you look at successful political revolutions in the 20th century, almost all of them were heavy on the nonviolence. pacifism is a perfectly reasonable political strategy in many cases simply because it is the only true available option. doesn't work everywhere of course but it's basically the perfect strategy in an interconnected world.

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9587616
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, there's so much wrong with that article, that I don't know where to start. I expected as much from the Economist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: