The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love playing Space Hulk! It was like Aliens: The Board Game.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, play this version. It's the board game brought to life. It's great to pass five minutes or so.

Everyone else do too.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second Space Hulk game is much easier than the first, I think because the multiple window display was reduced to just a single first person view making the game look less daunting. I really couldn't handle that multiple windows shit when I first played the game, I couldn't manage that at all, which is why I almost managed to complete the second game. I was only five missions away when I just stopped suddenly for some reason.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two Space Hulk games, yeah, this one:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?name=Space+Hulk

and this one:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?name=Space+Hulk%3A+Vengeance+of+The+Blood+Angels

I owned the second one for the Playstation, I really sucked at it and didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing and eventually sold it.

I played Space Crusade a lot.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1016

Hey guys, doesn't Duality look like it would be rad?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, play the version I linked to.

Also, cross-posting:

Deus Ex 3, guys! i'm oddly excited about this. I know it's just a teaser, but it looks classy.

More info here.

Cycle, those Duality screenshots don't really say much about the game.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say the architecture was going to be pretty awesome! Just look at that hallway!

Why should I play that version you posted!

I'm looking forward to Deus Ex 3 as much as a kick in the nuts. It did make me smile when I heard the theme music, though, mostly thanks to nostalga!

If they plan on making it not suck, they should just call it "Deus Ex 2: That last sequel was a joke, haha, here's the real game"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be buying it because it will require a more powerful system than what Deus Ex required.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Why should I play that version you posted!

It's good for a quick distraction and emulates the rules of the original board game almost to the letter. And plays a like a survival-horror strategy game of sorts: You don't expect your squad to come out of missions alive, but you try your damnedest to accomplish them.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOUNDS GOOD, DOWNLOADING.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey guys, doesn't Duality look like it would be rad?

I think so! I was hoping you'd say more about it.
sediment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds kind of like x-com!

...DOWNLOADING

Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of, but with less focus on trying to get your men to survive through everything thrown at them. It will take some getting used to if you're not familiar with the rules of the board game.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh weird this is actually the version I played, not the old DOS one.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember Steve Jackson's Awful Green Things from Outer Space? I wonder if it's anything like that.

I also wonder if I totally ripped off my Alien Bill "signature" item (as seen in my Avatar) wholesale from that game. Just adding arms. But then Monsters, Inc. did the same to me, adding a mouth and horns, so I feel a little better.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This trailer makes me vaguely excited. It comes off as classy.

Let’s not forget that Deus Ex was almost entirely derivative in its aesthetics and design in the first place.

shut up dracko

you should have attacked kieron while you were there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, you know it's true.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aesthetics, maybe, but not so in design! ok so it takes its cues from system shock 2, but unlike system shock 2, most of it actually works.

despite useless shit like the aqualung.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dracko i remember you complaining about jc and the bartender talking about politics in the night club, but hey, JC is a very serious man who means business and plus he just discovered he's been played like a pawn and almost got killed (and his brother might be dead) so of course he isn't going to be in the mood for dancing, and look around the place, its full of dunks and people trying to get laid, so the bartender is probably extremely happy to have an intellgent conversation, its probably the first one he's had in months.

there, do you like deus ex now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't the one who complained about that. In fact, I thought it was neat that the people you'd meet in a game world generally came off as well-read and intelligent, and that clubs and bars were havens for intellectual conversation and referencing. A case of wishful thinking perhaps, but I do like being surprised when I go for a drink or something myself.

NEW GAMES JOURNALISM NO-ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR LIFE, DRACKO
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyway, about Duality? I'm still curious?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I could of sworn it was you. Probably because you're the only person I know who doesn't like the game (apart from daph but she doesn't count).

I CARE DRAKO, TELL ME MORE

I was I was more intelligent and well-read! I've been trying to make up for the latter by reading my books lately and playing fewer videogames. Which has been easy since nothing has caught my interest lately.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
So anyway, about Duality? I'm still curious?

Duality was the game Double Aught were working on after Marathon Infinty, but it unfortunately never found a publisher and was canned, TRAGICALLY.

I've been collecting information about it and was gonna post all my findings here (I have all the shots from that website for example) but I'm trying to track down a couple other items before I do so.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps dracko, you know the hanger 96 tale? its suspected that the secret level created from the hex code is infact, hanger 96:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard bits of it. Tell me more!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, some of the terminals that lead to the failed endings feature missing chapters in the stalker tale.

Anyway, here is all of the hanger 96 stuff:

Quote:
Seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses float inconspicuously around the inside of hangar ninety six. I say that they are inconspicuous because it is their arms and legs which demand my attention. I did this, or I could have stopped it. Which is it? It doesn't matter now. I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Quote:
I'm back in the hangar again, but now they are all screaming at me. Their arms and legs are no longer attacting my attention. It wouldn't be so bad if they were talking, but they aren't. They could talk, too. They aren't screaming in pain, but in protest. They don't miss their arms or their legs. They all agree on one thing, they won't give me the satisfaction of hearing them talk, and I'll never forget their screaming, pointless and wordless, without justification.

(I did this and could have stopped it.)

Quote:
I'm getting sick of coming back to hangar ninety six, but there is no avoiding it. This is what my existence needs. My existence is the demise of many others' arms and legs. The world is not a good place, nor is there innocence for me to hide in. Seven hundred and sixty one pairs of eyes look around the room aimlessly, and mine join the crowd. I see these bodies, massacred, immobile. For all the carnage here, the stench of decay is non-existent.

I try to turn away. The hangar spins but nothing moves, and my view is the same. I look, but don't see any sanitation workers, for that matter, I haven't seen the guys in suits since they dissapeared from my hallway.

BAM

It's connected to the stalker tale? Quite possibly they are merely chapters in the larger story.

ALSO, it's interesting that each failed ending gives a different perspective of the events, one from Durandal (the first level), one from Tycho, one from the humans and one from Thoth (or possibly the Thoth/Durandal entity, since the text is green)
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolz, my magazine just told me I can write about Marathon! Two pages! I have to write about Maniac Mansion first (which was also my idea so I'm cool with that!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of stuff flashing during the Deus Ex 3 teaser:

Studies of the Shoulder and Neck, A Study of the Spine, and Detail of Anatomical Studies of the Muscles of the Neck, Shoulder, Chest and Arm by Leonardo da Vinci
    Lower case greek letter phi (φ), the golden ratio in mathematics, art and architecture
    Leonardo Da Vinci's application of the golden ratio to the human head
    A diagram of a logarithmic golden spiral whose growth factor is related to φ
    A diagram depicting the arc of the golden ratio
    A depiction of Hell
    Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt
    An unknown image
    Augmentation detail
    Lament for Icarus by Herbert James Draper
    An x-ray image of a human chest
    A USG image
    An x-ray image of a human skull
    An image of a couple, with the girl having a mechanical arm
    Prosthetic limbs in a box
    A ballot box for "Biopolitic Vote 2027",with a voting card with a red X being inserted in it
    A sign saying 'Augmented people enter from the back'
    A sign saying 'We do not welcome augmented people here'
    A blurred picture of a street
    Photo of riot police
    An unknown building
    Roman numbers III, IV, V and VI, possibly a reference to the decalogue
    A lowercase italic letter 'h' and a plus sign in brackets, a symbol used for Transhumanism

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
hey dracko i remember you complaining about jc and the bartender talking about politics in the night club,

there, do you like deus ex now

That was me, jackoff, and now I like Deus Ex even less

All the dialogue was atrocious in the nightclub scene, especially the girls going 'UH, MOVE YOUR HIPS'. I also dislike the way the camera flicks back and forth during conversations to show you who's speaking. Camera angles were more sophisticated than that in 1910.

Quote:

Leonardo Da Vinci's application of the golden ratio to the human head

I'd like to see that!

My sister and one of her housemates mentioned the golden ratio in conversation. I asked them what it was and I got this extremely poncy reply like 'it's approximately 1.6180339887. it's a number used by architects and artists to determine the shape of forms that are perfectly pleasing on an aesthetic level to human beings'. So I said wow, how do you use it / can you think of any practical applications of it?' and they looked at me blankly. They did not.

I said 'you should look it up on Wikipedia!' and my sister said 'I don't need to, I've got a book about it', so I looked it up on wikipedia myself and now I understand it better than they do, fucking posers.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I said 'you should look it up on Wikipedia!' and my sister said 'I don't need to, I've got a book about it', so I looked it up on wikipedia myself and now I understand it better than they do, fucking posers.

I had kind of a similar thing in a photographic composition I'm taking.
There's this one dude who's way into the Golden Ratio and the Rule of Thirds and all that jazz. And to be fair, he might be the best photographer in the class, I find his stuff a little dull and abstract, but it does have a great sense of shape and balance and all that stuff I don't givetoo much of a damn about, at least not for its own sake.

Anyway, he was pointing out the rough correspondence between the Golden Ratio and the photography Rule of Thirds, mathematically they're not too far off. But then I saw all the crap they were trying to shoe-horn into the rule of thirds, sometimes saying it was on the border of two areas, some times saying it was just one area that's just centered on the line... then I realized it's a bit of bunk, and just a way to get people from taking stupid and boring dead-center photographs.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's never interesting for its own sake, but it's good to have a knowledge of the theory behind why we find certain images appealing and others not. It's the difference between something like Carl Barks' Donald Duck comics and everyone else's Donald Duck comics. Even though they're all drawing the same Donald Duck there's something that makes Carl Barks's comics better. It's good to be able to understand exactly what that is rather than it just be an intangible quality you're never going to understand. Obviously this doesn't only apply to Donald Duck comics.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Yeah, it's never interesting for its own sake, but it's good to have a knowledge of the theory behind why we find certain images appealing and others not. It's the difference between something like Carl Barks' Donald Duck comics and everyone else's Donald Duck comics. Even though they're all drawing the same Donald Duck there's something that makes Carl Barks's comics better. It's good to be able to understand exactly what that is rather than it just be an intangible quality you're never going to understand. Obviously this doesn't only apply to Donald Duck comics.

Yeah. I guess I'm still a little skeptical about the power of the golden ratio (especially when taken to the xth decimal place) Then again, I'm a bit of a "crux"ian, always wanting to get to the crux of something and with a bit of a tin ear for most nuance. (on the other hand I'm very good at verbalizing the details of what makes something work, or fail to.)

I guess I'm wary of a kind of "mystical" interpretation of something that is subtley but hugely better than other examples of the type, like the aforementioned Donald Duck cartoons.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
That was me, jackoff, and now I like Deus Ex even less

All the dialogue was atrocious in the nightclub scene

your FACE is atrocious.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle are you getting fresh with me
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way I did some experiments and reseach concerning golden rectangles and so forth. I DON'T think it's a magic formula for aesthetic beauty. However, I DID discover another man-made thing that is made according to the golden ratio. Here's a hint- you probably look at one every day!

Last edited by Harveyjames on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this made-made, man-made, or maid-made?

i know that 8.5x11 sheets of paper come very close to subscribing to the golden mean (don't they?)

and also my skull

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops

Yeah maybe

Is that A4 paper? I tried that, it doesn't. Also I saw the Da Vinci skull thing, it looked pretty made-up.

You look at your own skull every day?
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been called disturbed by parents, teachers and relatives.

so i'm not entirely sure what you mean because i see a lot of stuff every day

and anyway, nothing is a magic formula for aesthetic beauty; everyone has developed their own aesthetic concerns, usually having some derivation from their native culture, though not always.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's the 16:9 format screen, which is a golden rectangle.

Although I don't believe this is the magic formula for aesthetic beauty, and today I read about experiments you can try out yourself which basically prove it isn't, I still think there are some things that are universal to all human beings, and these can be distilled and utilized in art. What they are is another matter.
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:10 is closer to the golden ratio than 16:9 fyi Sad

65535:40500
32767:20250
256:158
128:79
64:40
32:20

so like! yeah!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took a picture of a golden rectangle, cropped the file to fit and resized it to 16 pixels in width with the 'constrain proportions' box checked and photoshop gave me '9' for the height, and I have no idea what those numbers mean
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the golden ratio is 1:1.618fffdsafaklsvgfda some irrational number so all you do to find out if you're close to it is replace the colon with a division symbol, then put that into a calculator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, ROTT DS. To hell with ratios, this is all the gold you need.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
16:10 is closer to the golden ratio than 16:9 fyi Sad

Must be why Apple puts 16:10 aspect ratio displays on everything! Smile
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Harvey, play this version. It's the board game brought to life. It's great to pass five minutes or so.

Everyone else do too.

Man, I have passed way more than five minutes on this! It's awesome, thanks!

The only way it could be better is if it looked exactly like the board game, with high-res scans of all the boards, and also detailed 3D models which you can pick up and look at ala the Smash Bros. Trophy mode.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty grand. A multiplayer edition exists, but I've found no info about it so far. Not even sure who made it in the first place.

Kieron Gillen muses on Deus Ex 3.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Oh look, ROTT DS. To hell with ratios, this is all the gold you need.

I'm going to try it out simply because I want more FPS games on my DS, but I honestly never saw the appeal of ROTT. It feels like a flurry of random ideas, caged together with a game.

I guess maybe that's the appeal?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably. I always thought ROTT was pretty fun, but I see where you're coming from.

Hey Keiron Gillen raises some interesting points in that article! He posted on my blog once! Because I amended his wikipedia article to say I thought he was a 'dick' :( Actually I've since decided he's alright.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal of ROTT is running around really fast whilst dodging the environment and killing fools with the coolest bazookas anyone has ever made whilst blood explodes everywhere. And eleven player deathmatch. And turning into a dog. And John Romero (sort of).
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess my theory is pretty much correct then?

Also, Gillen writes for RPS? UNBOOKMARKED.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically that.

And ninety degree walls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: