The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run and don't mind the drop to 10-15 fps on a modern system you can complete it in close to the map01 par time.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be cool see all them turn around... or like, small groups activate at once until they all slowly activate.

it would be like watching a life sim in the doom engine!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything activates at once though which is quite humorous when you just stand there trying to adjust with the drop in performance. Well, humorous until you get hit by fifty imp fireballs almost at once. The real comedy starts if you can get to room #2 where you get hit by so many Arch Vile attacks at once you get catapulted into the sky.

There's a whole series of nuts maps. You'll have to use a limit-removing port like Boom and you might like to make your own Dehacked patch that makes bodies disappear when enemies die, enable in-fighting and then drop your resolution to something lower than 800x600 to make it playable if you have less than a gig of RAM.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall have to check them out, at least for a laugh.

So we know everyone loves doom and quake and especially marathon, what do people hink about Duke 3D?

dess was this game too SEXIST and CHAUVENISTIC (or whatever) for you, since it was very sexist and chavenistic (or whatever)

i had a GOOD TIME.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAD A GOOD TIME TOO

I could 'do' Duke's voice in school, so I'd tell the other kids that there was a secret level called 'Homosexual Rampage' where you have to break up a gay pride march, and at the start of the level Duke would say 'I'm gonna kill ALL of you homosexual bastards'. The other kids believed me, presumably because i could do the voice so well.

Also some kid in design technology class told me that sometimes the stripper would show you her minge when you gave her a dollar, so I sat there pressing space for like about 10 minutes trying to make her do it. I'd even been through all the graphics in an editor looking for the frame of her minge the night before, and that didn't stop me trying.

That screenshot made me do a lol. You should record a video of you playing it.

Finally beat the Crypt of Decay. Completely wasted the quad damage at the end, though, and had to kill the last two Shamblers by just taking potshots at them with my shotgun. I didn't get much of a sense of accomplishment from it.

The secret level was a blast, though! Although, I was just reading Iwata saying that if a game needs text to explain to the player what he should do next, then it's some kind of failure on the part of the designer. That's why I had to laugh when I got to the exit via the front door and was told 'GO FOR A SWIM FIRST'. Thanks, Romero. I remember even at the time I thought Quake's reliance on on-screen messages seemed like a step backwards from Doom.

I also got to the end of The Ebon Fortress without dying on my first go, which I was quite pleased with, but I was too weak to survive the final room with all the ogres and fiends in it. It's mine next time!

Generally, I'm unimpressed by Romero's episode so far. It's kind of dumb. I'm not a completist by any means, though, so I don't mind just not playing it and moving on to the next. Is it worth sticking with?
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of liked Duke 3D when I first played it but then I got into a Quake is totally better mindset, mostly because WOAH! FUCK! QUAKE RALLY! Duke's got nothing on this and I really started to hate it. Later on I stopped caring that Quake was better and just started to enjoy it again, I was into my realistic urban environments are way cooler than space dungeons phase which contributed. The years later I found on the internet the Starship Troopers mod which is some really ace shit. Like, even better than that Platoon mod which is also some really ace shit. But fuck me that SST mod is a cracker, you guys should go and find it and maybe pirate a copy of Duke Nukem 3D if you don't own it unless you can find it really dead cheap in a store that sells games. You might chance upon Strife as well. Don't ever pirate Strife unless you can get the WAD which has all the voice acting in it and even then you shouldn't pirate Strife, it's worth a lot more than that.

So, anyway, Duke Nukem 3D. The pistol was totally the best weapon in deathmatch.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrinking my friends and stepping on them was the best part of Dukematch.

We always played on the second level, and all the players could hear Duke say SHAKE IT BABY when a player activated a stripper, and my friend was there like ALL the time so I just ran in there and killed him every two minutes. Eventually I just killed the strippers because I got sick of it.

I had love for both Duke and Quake.

Strife is awesome, although it feels rushed towards the end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife totally had the Combine before Half-Life 2 did. Though, science fiction literature had the Combine before both those games did. AHEAD OF ITS TIME!

I am going to look for SST mod so that I can share the love.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife was certainly ahead of it's time, it reminded me of Deus Ex the whole time I played it.

Too bad it was delayed so much and came out around the same time as Duke and Quake.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife also had the coolest level in any first-person shooter that used sprites ever, which was the level where you and your AI resistance buddies stormed the order outpost. You'd have to run around finding the ever elusive and all-powerful Programmer and all around you dudes would be shooting rubes and it was completely sick. Just having AI helpers in any first-person shooter made it a cooler experience.

I could fill up an entire thread full of reasons why Strife is the coolest shit, like, ever.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathon 2 did the friendly AI stuff first, though!

That was a memorable scene, though. Best of all, the base turned into your new base of operations once you took it!

I also loved that on a mission I decided to steal something that looked important on the way, only to have it bite me in the ass REAL HARD later on. Should have stayed focused!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm playing Strife once I get bored of Quake.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get far into Marathon 2 Cycle so tell me, did the exploding Bobs from the first game appear at all? I had a huge laugh when I got killed by one, I just didn't expect that. And then I went and made the same mistake twice.

Hilarity.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh MAN.

Not only do they return, one of the best levels is based around them!

At one point the human base has been infilitrated by the bastards, and you have to run through the level, killing them all while avoid killing real humans. It's such a great level, one of the most memorable for sure.

Chances are the explosion of one clone will kill three real humans near by.

It's hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got to get back into Marathon 2.

Your 1000th post better be about Marathon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it, third file down. Now I am going to have to play it tonight since I totally pumped myself about it and five minutes in order to find a screenshot isn't enough to garner any proper enjoyment. And I got killed seconds after taking that shot I refuse to leave this business unfinished.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Quake mod was Slide. God, I could play that for years.

The other funny thing about it was that it was by a dude who I had known years earlier on a BBS, then never had any contact with again, until I realized that he was the author of my favorite mod. So I thanked him. Geez. Slide is awesome!

(it's hoverboard racing with appropriate downhill maps in Quake)

I wonder if anybody ever pulled it off in a newer game like UT? Hell, this alone.

(link: http://singe.telefragged.com/slide/ )

Looks like as of 2005, Singe made some pretty interesting Halflife 2 DM maps too...
http://singe.telefragged.com/hl2/maps/
(like a fractal-box-structure, some crazy trap maps, and a remake of The Bad Place...Yeah!)

Last edited by Slonie on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't believe that the page for Slide is still up and working.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
My favorite Quake mod was Slide. God, I could play that for years.

The other funny thing about it was that it was by a dude who I had known years earlier on a BBS, then never had any contact with again, until I realized that he was the author of my favorite mod. So I thanked him. Geez. Slide is awesome!

That reminds me of when I was 14 and I lost contact wih my QuakeWorld Clan 'The Real Minutemen' (named after something in the comic book 'Watchmen'), and then a couple of years later I discovered them on Something Awful's 'Clan Hell'. a roundup of the worst clan sites on the net. They were now called 'Clan Total Wipeout' and their website just said 'don't bother challenging us! you will probablu win anyway WE SUCK!!!1' It was sad, it made me feel bad for having left them.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those mods look awesome.

Slide reminds me of skiing in Tribes! Man, there were so many awesome mods for Quake. I never really got into mods for many games after that (though Quake 3 had a few awesome ones). I'm not sure why I don't bother with mods anymore... they used to be my favourite part of PC gaming, but I kinda forgot about them. Looking through the MODWATCH in PCPP, it's probably because most mods don't seem terribly interesting these days for some reason.

Harvey, at least it sounds like they had a sense of humour about themselves!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Man, there were so many awesome mods for Quake.

I spy with my little eye, someone's got a download for Airquake.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The rocket launcher became a baseball bat gun, and the shotgun was a pellet gun.

Did you mod the sprites, of just change the names?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mod the sprites and change the values in DeHackEd. I didn't get any further than the design doument, mind.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember using a cheat code in Doom 2 and seeing just how many monsters i could get to spawn on the final level.

The answer was: a lot, those sprite engines were amazing, but I think it crashed when I let it run overnight.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a good as any place to talk about BOOM, a mac shareware game that crossed DooM with Bomberman:

As you can see, it took the look of DooM and super-deformed it! The sounds are much cuter now too, as well as catchy music. It was very charming!

There were some key differences - for one thing, you had health (but a bomb blast would still instakill you IIRC), some of the enemies had projectles (such as the zombies and the imps) and you could just walk through enemies (but not bombs). The changes were actually very well implemented and balanced, making for a damn entertaining Bomberman alternative, and two-player co-op was awesome. Played it with my brother for hours, even though he kept dying really early.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta post this here in this thread again. Sorry guys!

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that your gf wes lol
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a far-off look in his eyes. I think he's dreaming about making a corridor full of holes in the wall that shoot spikes at you.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I thought I'd play some videogames. I played the first episode of Doom and was pretty pleased to get to the penultimate level without dying once. Hooray, I am good at games!

Then I found that the version of Quake I've got connects to the internet and plays deathmatch with ping 1000 times better than I would have been used to back in the day, and that there were still people playing it after all these years. I logged onto a server and they fucking slaughtered me.

I've decided this portion of the game hasn't dated well. Quake Deathmatch is a weird game because since super-powerful weapons like Rocket Launchers are in such abundance, they effectively become the default weapon and every encounter results in someone dying within fractions of a second. Reflexes and skill come into it quite a bit, but the real key to mastering the game is learning the levels, how people flow through it and how to anticipate and intercept other player's movements, item placement and respawn times, and so on. For that reason I don't think it's for me. I'd much prefer it if play was based on encountering another player and then having time to react to him or her accordingly, rather than what you actually do which is play the level like a giant pinball table. Does that make sense?

That's why I loved Action Quake and why I think I'm going to love Team Fortress 2 when or if i get to play it. Putting all the characters on a level playing field from the start and then letting them focus on other players rather than item placement seems to make for a much better game. I also loved the finality of death in Action Quake, because it seemed to promote a much more cautious style of playing, and obviously taking down a super player or a sniper really meant something because they weren't going to come back until the next round.

I mean it may as well be Nerf Paintball Arena if everyone's respawning instantly. Theming the game around death in a gothic setting seems a touch decadent and over-the-top. That the frag messages are mostly based around macho, locker-room style gay innuendo (harveyjames rode BROK3N's shaft) is the icing on the cake. Oh yeah and it's too fast and I'm rubbish at it.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some fun with Quake Deathmatch but it was never a primary mode for me. I always played mods like Rocket Arena and the original Team Fortress which were much more enjoyable.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Rocket Arena was dope as I recall. I thought vanilla deathmatch was brilliant at the time, though.

Team Fortress was too CPU / bandwidth intensive for the computer I had back then. My fps and ping were so bad the only chance I ever had of getting a frag was if I played as Pyro and careered around blindly firing in the hope of hitting something. I just ended up annoying everyone.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I imagine I'd hate vanilla DM if I just jumped in after not playing for like 10 years, and playing against all these people who never stopped and know the game like the back of their hands.

It was pretty awesome fun back when there were plenty of both good and bad players, so i knew I could at least have a chance killing the other bad players. Plus their were noob servers when I first started which helped a heap.

But yeah, for the most part I played Rocket Arena if I just wanted to blast other players.

EDIT, what client are you using? We should totally try to play a game sometime.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZQuake. I dunno what your ping's going to be like, though, what with you being on the other side of the world and all. Also the game would be pretty awkward what with all the simmering sexual tension between us.
Slonie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about this video/map makes me grin mightily. Once the action kicks in and you see the bizarre results of Halo with a Ocarina of Time total conversion....You might too!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonie i think you forgot something

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8eZIwb_PpF8
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda deathmatch.

that was exactly what we needed.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
Fuck.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8eZIwb_PpF8

That bow takes up way too much of the screen.

Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle: describe the story of Marathon 1 so that I don't have to play through it (it's so damn ugly and boring).
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil aliens!
Rampant AI!
Can you survive the thrilling space dungeon?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay good

I am ready for Durundal
Slonie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
zelda deathmatch.

that was exactly what we needed.

My favorite part is how the ghosts were turned into Eponas. And the hookshot plasma pistol...

Weird TCs rule!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty amazing for what it is.

Perhaps we should turn the discussion towards mods?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Doom is a really nice megawad. It recreates all of Ultimate DooM from the ground up with different layouts which are still instantly recognizable. It's got a better episode one than KDiZD's which honestly was too detail intensive and confusing on the first playthrough. Some real classic level design here, personally I think it's up there with Classic Episode and CH Retro. Something all remakes should aspire to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberdreams is brilliant, everyone should play it. Thirty two maps of Cyberdemon killing and all you have is a pistol, lots of running and switches to push that contribute to killing Cyberdemons almost entirely by crushing ceilings.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my kind of party!

I wanted to make a map where you only have the pistol (or NOTHING) and there was a single Cyberdemon on the map who was hunting you, but I couldn't get it quite to work as well as I would have liked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I was just reading Iwata saying that if a game needs text to explain to the player what he should do next, then it's some kind of failure on the part of the designer.

I wonder if he's been keeping close tabs with Aonuma.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who has Doom (1,2, Ultimate, Final) for Steam: Is there anyway to not make the game look hideous? Is this just because I'm using an LCD monitor or something? Hexen looks awful as well.

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because the games are running in their native 320x200 resolutions so on the monitors of today everything pixellates worse than GBA DooM. This can be remedied with the binaries available at any of these helpful links as they have the option to run the game in higher resolutions. Some even support a selection of resolutions are designed for monitors that run in a 16:9 aspect ratio if you own one of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: