The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's this? A Doctor Who thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell. For all of that, I completely forgot.
GERMAN DALEKS!!~~

And... Gwen Cooper. Gwyneth. So that's clarified. I wonder if it's setting something up for Torchwood 3...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great.

And, it made many of the shit bits of the first part un-shit (or at least less shit), retroactively. HOW IN KEEPING WITH THE TIME TRAVEL THEME, HO HO!

I guess it was pretty fast-paced, but not in comparison with the previous episode, so it didn't seem so to me. Well, not so much. As for dwelling on things, I have plenty of time to do that now the episode's over.

Personally I would have enjoyed more Davros, but only because every second of Davros was golden, so I can't really complain.

The Doctor's happy (?) ending with Rose was a load of shit, but at least RTD got it out of his system, and in exchange for his indulgence, he finally gave us a satisfying series finale. I'm quite amazed; I feared it would be garbage.

Donna's ending was heart-wrenching; I hate memory loss stuff, and on top of that there was the whole Flowers for Algernon element... I nearly cried. I might have done if they'd dwelled on it a little longer... so, hmmm, yeah, maybe a bit too fast-paced then. But it was still affecting.

Anyway -- we'll see what I think after a second or third or fourth viewing.

Ugh, seriously, memory loss stuff. Sad I've always felt bad about Jamie and Zoe; this is even worse.
digi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Donna's character totally trumped Rose in comparison, here. She makes Rose look fairly shallow, even. Even better for the end was that note at the end, yeah. No big *CRASH* and "What!?" leading in to the next bit - that first happened with Donna, after all.
Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the episode, even with their hour and three minutes, felt like it was missing big chunks of stuff that they probably filmed and couldn't fit. The editing doesn't seem 100% as polished. There's weird jumps, and some audio transition issues even.

The previous episode breathed just enough to work with its pace, this one, though, you can tell they were trying to get it done to the last minute, trying to fit as much in as they could, get it as polished as possible with the little time they had left.

I'll be interested to see the deleted scenes on the DVD. Aderack told me to to listen to the commentary, and they said there's a whole bit with the Shadow Proclamation which was cut out.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I liked it a hell of a lot more on second viewing -- mostly because I knew what was happening and I could follow it more easily.

Rose's ending is kind of interesting, in that the Doctor was so callous as to dump her with a housetraining job and say "well, you've done it once before!". She doesn't really want the Hand Doctor, even. It's such a weird note that her scene ends on.

Adding to it is Mickey's comment that there's nothing for him in Pete's world. Certainly not Rose. Overall, this story isn't being entirely flattering to her.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked a bit more Davros. The confrontation scene was excellent, though.

How did Jack know (pretty well, at that) about the Doctor regenerating, by the way? Am I forgetting something? He wasn't present when the Doctor regenerated the last time, he didn't find out until Utopia.

Any word on when the score will be out? I, uh, really really liked what I assume is Davros's theme. Pity it didn't seem to expand past some plinky electronic bits.

Billie Piper looks like she's lost some weight.
KinokoFry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was VERY satisfied with that episode and more or less, Patrick's post would mirror my own were I to bother writing it all out again. I think it managed to bring both episodes together very nicely, and it made the whole series since 2005 clink fairly nicely together in so many ways.

The little call-back to the 2005 season when they saw Gwen was great.

I haven't even SEEN most of the early Doctor Who and yet, I think my jaw dropped to the floor when K-9 appeared and stayed like that for 5 minutes.

I DID get teary during Donna's bits, especially when her grandfather was telling the Doctor that he'd be looking to the skies every night on Donna's behalf. He was such a wonderfully written character the entire time.

I was fairly satisfied with Rose's bit, because she's never been my favourite character in the world. I rolled my eyes a little at the, "Come on, this ending pleases EVERYONE" bit, but regardless - I WAS pleased. I'm happy to see the whole thing finally put to rest, and I was even happier at that awkward kind of ending Rose got. She got the Doctor and a kiss and an "I love you" but still, I pictured the two of them standing there on that beach holding hands after the Tardis disappears and just away from each other, both thinking more or less, "Great." They'll have a happy life together but there will always be that tiny thing in the back of their minds. That tiny thought of inadequacy.

Davros' laugh at the end was perfect.

There's just so much to say about this episode!

I was honestly though, terribly disappointed at the beginning because, as much as I adore Tennant, I was really looking forward to a new Doctor. More than that, this was going to be my very first regeneration and I was so excited about that. I started watching Doctor Who when Tennant began, and I'm not yet caught up on all of the 2005 series yet. This was going to be an occasion I would write in my diary.

But, oh well! They made up for it by making the rest of the episode wonderful.
vf10a

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else think these last episodes show how weak a character Martha was? Nobody seems to particularly care what happens to her and she gets no emotional happy ending.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think that, a little.
digi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since she became "a soldier", her personality and basically anything she gets to do has been pretty dull. I'm really hoping that her character will get lots of attention to detail and expansion in the next season of Torchwood.
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Storytelling checklist go!

- Same ending as the first two series, same general finale plot sub-genre as all three series, previously menacing race reduced to shite due to endlessly recuring bring them back/kill them off/bring them back roundabout. You can't use the Darleks effectively ever again now because they're like thousands of evil space lazaruses. This is really basic stuff, and how a hell of a lot of serial fiction characters and concepts get ruined.

- Crossovers for the sake of crossovers. Gosh, this is just like fanfiction.net!

- Character previously concluded and written out returned for the sake of some kind of obnoxious fanfictionesque OTP pairing. Also, cloning a character for no other reason than to create some kind of obnoxious fanfictionesque OTP pairing.

- Convoluted plot twists for the sake of convoluted plot twists. Literally everyone possesses a deus ex machina hidden somewhere in their sweaty folds. A clone appears... because? Then there's a magic machine that can fix everything? I hate it when serial fiction invents stuff to fix the situation rather than play by some kind of established or foreshadowed rulebook. Where there is no internal logic there is no cliffhanger.

- Did we fit K9 in this yet?

The first series of this was really good. You had a bug-eyed PTSD victim being bipolar through time and space while a genuine sense of palpable doom built up. The Doctor wasn't manic because he was "whacky" or "random", he clearly had very serious mental problems. I doubt there's a role Ecclestone couldn't make completely amazing Every single series since (not counting the handful of good episodes written in a most non-fanfictionesque manner by Steven Moffat) has pissed on that atmosphere by making the darlek threat a repetative, predictable chore, turning the lead into a trying-too-hard "random" metrosexual gonk and ramming pantomine-level ruination into every single scrap of spare screen time. I can't understand why Davies was ever acclaimed as a screenwriter or director before this. He can't keep his metaphorical dick in his pants for five seconds and he has no command of atmosphere or tone. You can't pull off horror in a hamfisted blend of Marvel comics and Wedonisms.

Oh yeah, and since the Darleks have no free will or culture beyond murder and genocide and apparently get grown in labs, for someone to be painted as an arch evil for genociding them is just nonsensical. They're weapons, not individuals. Golod god, I want this hour of my life back.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it took you 20 minutes to write that, so technically you want an hour and 20 minutes of your life back.
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, since I enjoy getting things off my chest!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that mastectomy went well?

Here's this.

It's for SJA. Samantha Bond, who played the evil lady in Invasion of the Bane, is also back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More classic series Character Options stuff. Classic Daleks look kind of stumpy and ragtag, these days.

http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/images/toys/classicdalek-thedeadplanet.jpg
http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/images/toys/classicdalek-planetofthedaleks.jpg
http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/images/toys/classicdalek-genesisofthedaleks.jpg

Of the three, the Planet one is the most ready for prime time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Torchwood 3.

Episode 1: RTD
Episode 2: John Fay
Episode 3: James Moran
Episode 4: John Fay
Episode 5: John Fay

Euros Lyn is directing the entire series. I don't know who John Fay is. He's written soaps.

Freema and Noel Clarke are in, of course. James Marsters is going to be in there somewhere. He was offered a spot as a semi-regular, but had to turn it down because his family is in the US and he didn't want to be away for months at a time.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get where all this Dr. Whoopla comes from. Is the show really that exciting?

That being said, how is Torchwood. I assumed that the series was just another name for a season of Dr. Who, but I see now that it's a full-fledged spinoff. This makes me want to see it, because Dr. Who seems too daunting to get into. Is it possible, then, to enjoy Torchwood without having the wider context of Dr. Who, since I'm assuming that's what the show does?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Torchwood is of low quality. It's kind of cheesy and stupid. That is just my opinon, though.
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torchwood is sort of like Dr. Who's Flash Gordon.

aderack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Torchwood is a bit dumb. Which would be okay, if it were done well. The second series is much better than the first.

That said, it does work as a standalone. Maybe better than it does as a spin-off! In the US, it's been publicized as its own show. The packaging doesn't mention Doctor Who, and TV critics might only peripherally mention the parent series -- which most of them probably have never watched. Result: in a sense, it's been better-received over here than in the UK.

New Who is pretty easy to get into. Although it follows the same continuity, it's been deliberately set apart from the classic series. It's a fresh start that pretty much just sets up its own rules. So far there are only four series, 13-14 episodes apiece. 55 episodes. That's like two seasons of an American show.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, the reason I became interested in Torchwood was precisely because I saw it at the store and didn't notice any referrences to Dr. Who.

All of this looks pretty interesting though. I may have to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
No. Torchwood is of low quality. It's kind of cheesy and stupid. That is just my opinon, though.

So it's just like Dr. Who, then.

Anyway, you arse-barnacles: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7512072.stm

This is genuinely interesting.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been jizzing that all over, the last 24 hours. Delia Derbyshire is my hero.

There's this DJ chick who works at the coffee house around the corner. She's really interested in old synths and old electronic music techniques, and tends to think everything has kind of gone to shit with easier production methods. I was just over there, having a long conversation with her about Derbyshire's "dance track".

I eventually realized that it reminds me of Analogue Bubblebath 3.

I've got some of Ms. Derbyshire's other stuff sitting around, if anyone's interested. "Blue Veils and Golden Sands" is awesome. It was used to good effect in Inferno.

She's also kind of hot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDX_CS3NsTk

And I just found this the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AkSI_UbIE&feature=related

Last edited by aderack on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious to know if the archives will be online releases.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a bunch of articles about this. In one of them, someone said they meant to make the music "available to everyone", whatever that means.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:

She's also kind of hot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDX_CS3NsTk

Yeah no kidding! That's sort of what I imagine your Agnes is like.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the show's first producer was Verity Lambert:

I think she was even younger than Ms. Derbyshire at the time. She actually got credit and recognition and whatnot, however. Though she had to fight like a tiger to get her way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0

I recall this was a pretty good documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me that "hollywood insider" quote is... uh, a voice in the writer's head.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036567/500-000-Mr-Spielberg-Sorry-Ive-got-date-Beeb-says-new-Dr-Who-writer.html
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Dr. Who seems too daunting to get into.

If you just start with the new Doctor Who (series 1) you'll be fine. It's honestly really engaging even though it's cheesy as shit. There are also some of the greatest moments in Sci-Fi writing on the show, on rare instances anyways. I recommend getting the first season of the new stuff.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first series is even pretty self-contained. I mean, it's pretty much one thirteen-episode story, broken up into beats.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Something tells me that "hollywood insider" quote is... uh, a voice in the writer's head.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036567/500-000-Mr-Spielberg-Sorry-Ive-got-date-Beeb-says-new-Dr-Who-writer.html

Yeah, that's the most spuriously attributed quotation I've ever seen. I think the number of people who can claim to be a 'Hollywood Insider' probably runs in to the millions. Including but not limited to people who just live in Hollywood, tramps, and the bloke who cleans the sign.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the writer did in fact call someone with an Los Angeles area code?

"So there's this guy who Steven Spielberg hired to write the scripts for a couple of his upcoming movies."
"Yeah?"
"And he turned him down, to write for Doctor Who."
"Doctor What?"
"It's a TV show. So what do you think of that?"

Cue quotation. Then the guy had to go, because a customer was making a fuss about pastrami.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ran a magazine I would make a running joke of just ringing random people in that area code every time I wanted an opinion on something.

"That's crazy. I've never heard of anyone turning down that much much to work on a TV show,' a Hollywood insider saiid earlier today. 'This is a McDonalds Restaurant, sir,' he added cryptically.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q

A look at the troubled homelife of the Dalek.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's, uh...

October for R1 SJA box.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sarah-Jane-Adventures-Season-1/10127

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting Moffat interview here:

http://io9.com/5028464/exclusive-interview-with-doctor-whos-steven-moffat

He's a lot more accessible than Davies, in that he isn't bashful about being an Internet personality. Hell, I've even spoken with him.

Have fun guessing what he actually called Davros.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, I didn't realise Moffat looked exactly like David Tennant!

EDIT: This interviewer is an idiot.

I was really blown away by it. It's a kid's movie, but it deals with some incredibly weighty issues.

Wow, good for you! Would you like to ask me some questions?
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=58032

He's mister talky!

I like how they make it sound like he was directly talking to some agent of theirs, and then they admit someone just sat in on a panel.

And:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=47147

Meanwhile, Mr. Cornell, fresh from comic books and car crashes:

http://www.noisetosignal.org/2008/07/the-nts-interview-paul-cornell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out:

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/WarMachinesDVD.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Ben 10 Alien Force has a character that's obviously inspired by the Doctor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YNK0lohOQ

The actor doesn't sound like David Tennant, but you can tell from the lines that they're the type of things he'd say.
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice animation there.

Until the "gumball" thing, I was thinking more of Quatermass.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Ben 10 once! It's really generic. It's of a low quality! Kids like it o_O
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Platypi have toes! I like broccoli! Mangoes enhance your semen!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Ben 10 actually gets more clever as time goes on. There's some cool stuff in there.

Alien Force hasn't been that good, though, unfortunately... and it's written by one of the best guys who wrote on JLU, so it surprised me. My guess is it'll take them a little while to get into the groove of the show.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smugglers - scene 1 - animated. A new WhoSprites animation for you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyRzUffExIM

(fixed link)

Last edited by tygerbug on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret that link just took me to MY my videos!

How's The Thief?
tygerbug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thief is good. Not much new there.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice work on that WhoSprites thing!

If everything's quiet on the Thief front, I hope you don't mind if I give you a few notes... I always thought you could maybe tighten up the intro? I think at one point in the intro you use the particle effects from Calvert's version, which still seem a little tacky to me. Personally, I'd consider cutting those out, since they have a direct-to-video feel to them.

Also the first time I saw the typeface in your title sequence I figured it was a placeholder... I think Williams would probably have used something a bit more elegant. Williams is from the old school, he made movie title sequences as a living, and the typeface is something he would have paid special attention to.

Also, what's the 'La la la, dete dee dee' on the very beginning of the film? Is it on any officially released version? It seems a bit like it might be a warm-up by the narrator, which they forgot to cut out for the hastily-produced rough cut. It's always confused me. I wonder if you could shed any light on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: