The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i've got my spine i've got my orange box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never considered it a puzzle game, its just a game that focuses on puzzles

big difference (to me)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel comfortable calling it a puzzle game.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a good question. See, a Puzzle Game is generally something like Tetris (i.e. something that you play over and over again to solve puzzles as the arise). This is a game that is basically a giant puzzle. So, technically it is a Puzzle Game, but it's probably better labled as one really big Puzzle. Nothing like Tetris or the sort.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
fish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in finished portal.
i now think its the best thing to happen to the medium in years.

no less.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
in finished portal.
i now think its the best thing to happen to the medium in years.

no less.

I agree! But... I also kind of wonder how much this has to do with the fact that it's only 2 hours long. If other games were whittled down to just their essence and polished to perfection, even if it shortened the experience immensely, would they all be this good?

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'd be better than they are now, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
fish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the ideal game.

also, i nominate that voice, whatever her name is, as character of the year.

the game is brilliant.
and by that i mean smart.
and by that i mean funny.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely, but had Portal been a $60 game, $30 game, or possibly even a $20 standalone game we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Barely any of us would have bought it and no matter how much those of us that did buy it went on about it everyone else would have seen the "two hours" quantifier and waited for it to go down in price.

See Rez as an example. It's not quite the same thing, but how many of us paid $50 for that when it first came out? (I did, but I wouldn't have if I didn't see "discontinued" in the GameStop system a week after its release)

I admit to talking in theoreticals, but if games suddenly got really good and really short (and not in a way where there's incentive to play them again later for score), what would you be willing to pay for them? And do you think that paying this amount would be enough for the game developers/publishers/GameStop to make a profit?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portal would have a been a wonderful downloadable game.
but i think its in a perfect position, being part of the orange box.
i think it adds tremendous value to an already impressive package, despite how short it is. it just rounds it up so nicely.

on the other hand, i payed a hundred dollars for my copy of Rez.
but i still consider that one hour the finnest ive ever spent in front of a TV set.

but you know, if it WAS a standalone game, and priced acordingly, they would have probably made it a lot longer, possibly diluding it in the process. making it a lesser game.
the fact that it only lasted 2 hours means that i actually finished it. which is something special to me nowadays as even the most polished and spectacular games out there almost always manage to bore me before the end.

always leave them wanting more.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short games cost less to make, Wes. Honestly if they just sold Portal in a box for $30 I would own it already. If they made Portal 20 hours long or whatever and sold it standalone for $60 I wouldn't.

The trend that I see in game pricing is that companies are starting to occasionally release games for cheaper (Katamari Damacy, Cooking Mama), then when they sell really well, they release a sequel at a higher price. Which is irritating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the other hand it means more chances for games like katamari, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamari was the previous best thing to happen to gaming in years.

i see a pattern.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a fun game. so is portal. best thing ever? no. it was cute.

i don't have the indie mindset towards games so consider me the linda rondstadt fan of the crew here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of whether it's "indie" or not I think it's a good sign for the future of episodic content*.

* - The Orange Box I think proving that bundling of episodic content will probably be a pretty important part of the process.
fish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt say it was the best game ever.
i said it was the best thing to happen to games in a while.

big diff.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah either way it's a bit too belle and sebastian to go tossing about such words when half life 2 exists. but again, not a puzzle guy, uncouth lout, etc etc etc etc etc and so on.

clouds in my coffee...clouds in my coffee*

*i obviously meant carly simon before. i have no idea who linda rondstad is, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Short games cost less to make, Wes. Honestly if they just sold Portal in a box for $30 I would own it already. If they made Portal 20 hours long or whatever and sold it standalone for $60 I wouldn't.

Not sure if you own it yet, but I hear it's available on Steam for something like $20 or $30 by itself. If you haven't bought it yet, put your money where your mouth is!

Honestly, I don't think The Orange Box is indicative of Episodic Content doing well, I think it might even be the opposite. I think Valve must not have been super happy with Episode 1's sales/reception at $20 (I hear it became a $10 download fairly quickly) so they came up with this package deal idea and ran with it. I could see a Green box potentially coming out in the future that features Team Fortress 3, Half-Life Episode 3, and Portal 2 for $60 before I could see Episode 3 coming out as a standalone $20 game again. I think Valve really likes the idea of episodic content, but may have learned gamers would rather pay more for more content than pay less for less content. It's really fucked up, and I have no sales data to back it up, but this conclusion wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I want to make it clear that I'm playing devil's advocate here and I personally think Portal is pretty much perfect the way it is, part of a bigger package or by itself. I'm just not sure what the best way to sell something like that is with the state of the industry being what it is.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Honestly, I don't think The Orange Box is indicative of Episodic Content doing well, I think it might even be the opposite. I think Valve must not have been super happy with Episode 1's sales/reception at $20 so they came up with this package deal idea and ran with it. I can see a Green box potentially coming out in the future that features Team Fortress 3, Half-Life Episode 3, and Portal 2 for $60 before I saw Episode 3 coming out as a standalone $20 game again. I think Valve really likes the idea of episodic content, but may have learned gamers would rather pay more for more content than pay less for less content. It's really fucked up, and I have no sales data to back it up, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

My comment regarding it doing well is that it seems that both people who would prefer the bundle and those people who would prefer to just buy the games individually are happy and I don't think it necessarily means more money lost for Valve because the digital distribution model prevents multiple SKUs from digging into profits too harshly.

I'm pretty much agreeing with you that bundles are going to have to be a major part of offering games as episodic content; however, the Orange Box is still a compilation of episodic content rather than a single game.

I fully expect Valve to continue to offer both the bundle for online and retail sale and digital distribution for individual episodic games. It'll be a nice transitional state until we get to the point where the market is mostly digital distribution.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
ApM wrote:

Not sure if you own it yet, but I hear it's available on Steam for something like $20 or $30 by itself. If you haven't bought it yet, put your money where your mouth is!

Honestly, I don't think The Orange Box is indicative of Episodic Content doing well, I think it might even be the opposite. I think Valve must not have been super happy with Episode 1's sales/reception at $20 (I hear it became a $10 download fairly quickly) so they came up with this package deal idea and ran with it. I could see a Green box potentially coming out in the future that features Team Fortress 3, Half-Life Episode 3, and Portal 2 for $60 before I could see Episode 3 coming out as a standalone $20 game again. I think Valve really likes the idea of episodic content, but may have learned gamers would rather pay more for more content than pay less for less content. It's really fucked up, and I have no sales data to back it up, but this conclusion wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I want to make it clear that I'm playing devil's advocate here and I personally think Portal is pretty much perfect the way it is, part of a bigger package or by itself. I'm just not sure what the best way to sell something like that is with the state of the industry being what it is.

-Wes

I think the problem is mainly that they take longer on these 'episodes' than they would like, and they've got a publisher who's like 'yo, give us something to release now please', so to placate them they have to bundle all their little game modules up and it all ends up being closer to the standard release model than they wanted.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see how the bundle is somehow opposed to the episodic gaming model.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the linda rondstadt fan of the crew

Sounds like somebody is jockeying for a new custom title.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I honestly don't see how the bundle is somehow opposed to the episodic gaming model.

Yeah, I guess it's not! Good point!
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the numbers for how well the new Orange Box content sells outside of the bundle. It seems very much like a MS Office situation to me in that very few people will actually buy the material separately because of the basic savings - inflated so for previous owners of older goods - buying it in a package.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it's gonna be that way, yeah, although I would be interested to see what the Orange Box vs. individual sales would be on the PC only, since the episodic content isn't available individually on 360/PS3.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man looking at ep2 screenshots (now that i finished the game) i realized the sky isn't supposed to be yellow!

i will update my drivers and try again on thursday probably.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, that doesn't look bad as yellow. Very eerie and atmospheric for sure.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

As soon as Steam comes out on the Xbox 360 or my PC stops sucking cocks in hell, I totally will.

Also, when your "episodes" are released more than a year apart, that's not episodic gaming. That's jerking around the expectations of your customer.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer was that color correction doesn't actually do anything but suck.

apm: no that's called serving up tasty slices of greatness in a package that is pleasing to the eye and ear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time between episodes is fairly irrelevant as long as they are all part of a continuing saga, I'd think. It's more about consistency of experience rather than promptness of delivery, especially if that promptness interferes with that consistency.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're releasing full-length stories a couple of years apart. That sounds episodic to me. I mean, I guess they could release a chapter every two months, but the quality wouldn't be as good. Gaming isn't TV, guys.
fish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its a wonderful coincidence that HL2 is one of the very very few doing episodes like they do because HL2 has one of the very very few stories i actually give a fuck about.

wait, no, scratch that, its not the story, its the characters.
i was geniunely happy to see Eli last night. it had been a while.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The Orange Box [...] Episodic Content [...] Money

I think that Valve is very smart here and knew exactly what they were doing with The Orange Box, and it has more to do with the Customer than cost. I.E. if you keep the customer happy you get more sales and more sales at lower prices is better than less sales at higher prices.

Valve has been working with package deals for a while at Steam and they've aparently been doing quite well. Packaging three games worth $60 into a $30 package was somehow getting them more money than selling the games seperatly, while also keeping people happy only want one small slice. The Orange Box breaks down like this:

Team Fortress 2: $30
Portal: $20
Ep. 2: $30
Ep. 1: $10 (On sale currently, normally it's $20)
HL2: $30

They're selling a $120 package for $50 (those are all PC prices). Not only are they making it look like an amazing deal, but they're also double selling copies of games (people who already have HL2 and Ep. 1 for example are still saving money).

Though, that's not as good of a deal as some of their other packs. The Sam & Max episodes, iD Software, Valve packs (multiplayer packs, source pack, HL1 pack, Valve Complete). They've been marketing like this for a while and it's been getting people to play games they don't normally play and at prices they're more than willing to pay. I know that "the bottom line" is what they're working towards, but they've aparently realized that more customers is better than higher profits for less sales.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing more than $20 for HL2 proper or more than $20 for Ep2, but hey, the point stands.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
I have a hard time believing more than $20 for HL2 proper or more than $20 for Ep2, but hey, the point stands.

For people like you (and me) they package this stuff together! See how that works?

ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like an easy way to pad the deal. Sure, they can charge $30 for TF2 by itself, but is anyone buying it like that?

And when is episodic content no longer episodic? If it's simply by a character continuing on, then there have been oodles of successful episodic titles; if it's based on a time frame, as Valve seems to have suggested in the past, then I think they are sneaking up on Expansion Territory. Sam & Max would seem to be the standard model, with new portions of a story coming out at regular intervals, but the Disciples series did something similar years ago and simply labeled the new releases as expansion packs.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
And when is episodic content no longer episodic?

Well, episodic content seems to be: a scheduled release of one story over time. When it becomes sequels is when they break up the story. Also, an important part is probably the release schedule itself.

ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if all that is the case then these are like focused expansion packs, which has been done for years now. I look at Sam & Max as the standard, and Valve isn't anywhere near that. Their work seems to be a weird mesh of the two.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Valve takes a really long time to do their games, so it would make sense to view content as "episodic" when it's taken relative to the release schedule of a "full" game.

Given the vague definitions of "episodic", "full release", "upgrade" and "expansion pack", there's going to be a certain amount of semantic overlap.

The important thing is that something very different from the HL1 -> HL2 progression is going on.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More weighted companion cube desktops

One involves cake.

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal is totally gay.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. That's interesting. I'm ok with the symbology of the gun shooting orifices, but it's this idea of non-violence being feminine and violence being masculine that bugs me. These people have obviously never head of Queen Boudicea, or Margaret Thatcher.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or sex or childbirth.
fish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vagina gun.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno about you guys but when i go in a vagina i generally don't come out the other end because i'm pretty sure that's a) impossible and b) murder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and c) a total turn-off
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured that was implied.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys you are gross don't be gross
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go in a vagina my dick comes out a hole in the wall and knocks over a robot.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
guys you are gross don't be gross

yo i'm not the one who's all "now you're playing with portable vaginas" like a japanese vending machine on repeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: