The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know this has been talked about already. Deal with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: I know this has been talked about already. Deal with it. Reply with quote

I'm really, really late to this party, but I just spent three world-oblivious hours playing Rez. It's so fucking good I don't even know what to do with myself now. I played just long enough to beat the main 5 levels. I'll tackle the 'beyond' section this weekend, I think. When I started playing I was fairly frustrated with an aspect of my life. Now, I'm beside myself with exhilaration. Although, I am quite disappointed that she is still trapped inside the system. Do I need to complete all the 'beyond' stuff to free her?

Hope posts about this game aren't stale at this point. I really want to read and eat a bowl of grape nuts. So that's what I'll do.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your ending depends on your performance in area 5.

next start playing direct assault mode. it's how the game is really intended to be played.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kids today don't know you're born, with your Rez and your Trance Vibrators. When I was a lad I had to make do with a copy of Starfox and a dildo up my arse. You didn't hear me complaining.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can manuever those three-pronged controllers into some interesting places.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
next start playing direct assault mode. it's how the game is really intended to be played.

Oh God it's the truth. I don't even play single levels anymore when I fire up the game every couple months or so, I just end up playing through direct assualt a couple times in a row.

The game is so awesome, I love showing it to people who've never played it before or even heard about it. I'm still waiting for my chance to take it to some rave party and blow a lot of drug-addled minds.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a copy for myself, but a friend of mine lent it to me during the holidays. The only problem is, I don't have a memory card, so I have to play from start to finish constantly, and it leaves me little room to play Direct Assault, even though I'm intrigued as to what the different genres of music actively do. Irritatingly enough, I almost beat Area 5 with the best ending, only to get hit by a missile barely a second away from firing the last shot.

The real reason I seem to beat it, as great as it all is, is to unlock Trance Mission. The main game sets me up for something truly great, but Trance Mission, which practically breaks down all the established rules in a minimalistic fit with it's glitch ambience, really takes me out of myself like only a noise album could.

Funnily enough, whenever me and my friend talk about it, the transcendental theme is the one thing that gets constantly brought up, and that leads to all sorts of interesting topics of conversation.

The sort you'd get discussing a canvas, say.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like rez and i'm glad i bought a copy, but i also can't get past level 4.

the graphics kinda confuse me.

i also apparently suck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rez is one of my all-time favorite games. I love it. It's hard for me to talk about it without getting all fanboy-ish. I like playing it in the middle of the night with the surround sound cranked waaay up and all the lights turned off.

For some reason, my friends don't like the game at all. We busted it out during my birthday party a few months ago and some guys made fun of it like it was some kind of Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of thing. Consequently, I stopped talking to some of these people after that night (not because of Rez though).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
The real reason I seem to beat it, as great as it all is, is to unlock Trance Mission. The main game sets me up for something truly great, but Trance Mission, which practically breaks down all the established rules in a minimalistic fit with it's glitch ambience, really takes me out of myself like only a noise album could.

I should really work on getting better at Rez so that I can unlock Trance Mission... I mean, I just play it to experience it, not really to gain things. It seems counter productive to me.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppycock! You haven't experienced the game properly until you've gotten 100% of everything on each stage anyway.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dracko wrote:

I should really work on getting better at Rez so that I can unlock Trance Mission... I mean, I just play it to experience it, not really to gain things. It seems counter productive to me.

Not really. It's all there, after all, and arguably integral to the full experience. Trance Mission is a completely different experience than the the main game and Lost Area had an even more astral sense to it.

I just beat the last area in the final form. The ending is even more pregnant and foreshadowing than before, but it isn't the "true" one, is it? Do I have to beat it in Direct Assault or something?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite. keep playing, you'll get it eventually.

and psh to you, matt. i've unlocked everything and i'm rather proud of it.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the conditions to open up trance mission?

Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank first on Lost Area.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked Rez back up for a few hours yesterday. It's really, really good. And I'm really, really not--but I'm getting better!

I 100%'ed the first two levels, nearly got there on the third and fourth, beat direct assault mode and tried lost area for the first time. I'll get the good ending, so help me!

Anyone want to tell me their high score in direct assault or the score attacks so that I have something to work toward?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't remember unlocking much of anything or really trying any mode other than the main game, but i definitely remember managing the good ending at least once.

it's heartbreaking.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love any game that wishes you a good night when you finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only level of Rez I remember with any great degree of fondness is stage 5, with the crazy evolution/batshit AI talking to you theme, the Adam Freeland track, the boss rush and the big final showdown.

Rez has a problem and the problem is this: the game is a fucking failure. It's a failure because the music mostly is generic and forgettable. If they'd carried through and got Underworld's seal of approval it would have been fucking mighty - imagine like, anything by Underworld blasting out as you play REZ! They could have called it REZ Vol. 1 and put pods in clubs and made lots of money and probably launched a really classy franchise that could have been like Singstar for club kids.

As it is, generic developer music, no level narratives until the end, pretty much a game I own for the last level, the one that did it right. I keep thinking of how perfect it could have been and it's really sad.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i like the music

it would have been killer if underworld came onboard, though.

and to be quite honest, i hated how the last level added a narrative. it's my least favourite level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it loads better than LOTS OF WEIRD SHAPES TO STARE AT but then I've never played REZ mashed off my tits before.

I think the narrative would have worked better without text, maybe?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually yes, i think that was what my biggest problem with it was! didn't help that the text was so cheesy.

also i'm a big fan of weird shapes to stare at, so i guess that explains that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, that's what I'm looking for - a sense of progression, told visually, with no leaden speech bullshit. Not just from REZ, from games in general.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Rez has a problem and the problem is this: the game is a fucking failure. It's a failure because the music mostly is generic and forgettable. If they'd carried through and got Underworld's seal of approval it would have been fucking mighty - imagine like, anything by Underworld blasting out as you play REZ!

What are you talking about? I'd heard of Ken Ishii and Adam Freeland and Oval and bloody COLDCUT long before I bought Rez, and I grew up in bumblefuck South Dakota. Maybe electronica just isn't your kind of scene...
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
JamesE wrote:
Rez has a problem and the problem is this: the game is a fucking failure. It's a failure because the music mostly is generic and forgettable. If they'd carried through and got Underworld's seal of approval it would have been fucking mighty - imagine like, anything by Underworld blasting out as you play REZ!

What are you talking about? I'd heard of Ken Ishii and Adam Freeland and Oval and bloody COLDCUT long before I bought Rez, and I grew up in bumblefuck South Dakota. Maybe electronica just isn't your kind of scene...

Dearest snippy bastard: yeah, I mentioned Freeland in the... oh god. I can't finish writting this post. Why.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get back into Rez. Like Shaper, I haven't beaten it and unlocked the other modes. My problem is if I play it for more than an hour straight my thumb starts hurting. Maybe I'm must a wimp.

I find myself wanting a good arcade stick for PS2 for this game, but then again an arcade stick wouldn't have the full range of analog motion that the controller thumsticks do.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE you are not a very sensible person right now. Did you really come all the way over here just to be grumpy? Besides, stages 1-4 do tell stories of evolution without the text. It's architectural and musical evolution, though, not biological. You should play them again and try a little harder with your imagination.

Also:

JamesE wrote:
They could have called it REZ Vol. 1 and put pods in clubs and made lots of money and probably launched a really classy franchise that could have been like Singstar for club kids.

I mean, I guess they could have done that. It would have been pretty silly, though.

P.S. Everyone I unlocked a critter today! It's yellow and I can only play as it in direct assault and it dies the first time it gets hit because it has no potential to evolve but it makes funny noises. I'm keeping it.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i really like rez and i'm glad i bought a copy, but i also can't get past level 4.

the graphics kinda confuse me.

i also apparently suck.

Points 1 and 3 are exactly my own experience!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think the reason the fifth area works so well is that builds on the narrative framework the first four areas provide. each of the areas shows growing complexity in gameplay, visuals and music simultaneously, which mirrors the theme of "evolution" which area 5's text makes overt.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i'll be selling my copy in a bit actually so yeah.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my PS3 I tried to put this game in to play it because I was really excited! Then, it wouldn't play and I was like WTF?! Yea, well, I forgot I bought the Japanese version.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is that what sony was talking about when they said the ps3 would have no region protection?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so is that what sony was talking about when they said the ps3 would have no region protection?

It doesn't for PS3 games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: