The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gears of War and Luigi Mansion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Gears of War and Luigi Mansion Reply with quote

I just played through Gears of War in a single marathon-ish session helped by my more veteran friend.

It reminds me of Luigi's Mansion in some odd ways:
1. both were to some extent substitute or placeholder games... GoW for Halo, Luigi's Mansion for a proper Mario game
2. Both had a pleasant "short story" kind of scope (despite all of GoWs setpieces)
3. Both had a control scheme that took me a while to warm up to, but then I ended up liking.

I tried GoW on my own and didn't dig it at first, months ago... my guy seemed lumbering, the battles seemed confusing, with the enemy looking a lot like my squad mates, and I wasn't sure I liked either the "duck and cover" mentality or the mechanics of the "cover detection mechanism" the game employed. But once I started to get the hang of it, recognizing enemies, seeing that my health was similar to the Halo system, and hunting for places to shoot from, along with those times where you really have to co-operate w/ your partner, I thought it was very good.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controls in Luigi's Mansion are excellent.
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect Sonic game in my head has assimilated the roadie run to handle high-speed areas. As well as most of crackdown except the guns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
The controls in Luigi's Mansion are excellent.

Excellent as soon as you wrap your head around them.

Assuming they were the same in the released game as at the Nintendo Corporate Rave I first tried it on, my first efforts were frustrating.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Nintendo Corporate Rave

I wouldn't have been able to concentrate during that kind of event.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luigi's mansion is such a great little game. unlike so many nintendo titles of its generation, it doesn't go on any longer than it needs to. and it is perfectly spooky. not in that boring dischordant piano notes way that so many games these days are obsessed with. but in an amusement park haunted house way that's so much more memorable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
luigi's mansion is such a great little game. unlike so many nintendo titles of its generation, it doesn't go on any longer than it needs to. and it is perfectly spooky. not in that boring dischordant piano notes way that so many games these days are obsessed with. but in an amusement park haunted house way that's so much more memorable.

As I'm sure I've said somewhere... yeah... and that one detail of him humming along to the music, and becoming more shaky and scared-sounding the worse off his health is... such a lovely detail.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise how much I liked Luigi's Mansion until Select Button did that 25 favorite games thread and Luigi's Mansion somehow made it into my list.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gears of War and Luigi Mansion Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
1. both were to some extent substitute or placeholder games... GoW for Halo, Luigi's Mansion for a proper Mario game

;_;

That's not really true at all about GoW though. Nintendo knew it would need more time for Mario and got Luigi done in time. GoW was developed completely independantly of Halo 3. If anything GoW is just a showcase game for the Unreal 3 engine if you want to be dismissive.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gears of War and Luigi Mansion Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

;_;
That's not really true at all about GoW though. Nintendo knew it would need more time for Mario and got Luigi done in time. GoW was developed completely independantly of Halo 3. If anything GoW is just a showcase game for the Unreal 3 engine if you want to be dismissive.

In defense of GoW, I believe it was released to counterbalance the hype of the release of the other 2 consoles, and did that job pretty well. Unfortunately that truth didn't quite tie in as neatly to my LM=GoW thesis so I spun it otherwise.

I mean, Halo probably will always be more of a system-mover, but still... hell, my "killer app" for 360 was "Crackdown" (and not just for the Halo beta, which I didn't use anyway since I didn't renew my Live Gold membership), and the Mario that finally did come out for GC met a very mixed reception.

Not sure what to think of GoW's use of color, or lack thereof in parts. The levels where they let the "natural" color thorugh make me wonder about the how the artists felt, seeing their settings repainted in gray tones.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears of War is seriously dull-looking - I don't like the current vogue for making thing all one colour. Games that aspire to look like hollywood movies are dumb. Like Hollywood has ever been anything that you should aspire to, anyway.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoW has saturation and color options. I used the "lucid" color options and don't know what you guys are talking about.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
GoW has saturation and color options. I used the "lucid" color options and don't know what you guys are talking about.

Huh. It does seem likely that they expect people to keep with the defaults, which is very monochrome for much of the game, but automagically seems to adjust and be somewhat story-relevant. I didn't realize that was actually a "don't screw with the palette" option.

It reminds me a bit of GTA:VC; I'd always turn off the artsy-ish trails. Inadvertantly made the level where you're drunk on boomshine a LOT easier.
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain why Gears is making me play the 2006 version of a shitty mine-cart stage to get to the next fun part?

(USE THE UV TURRENT, oh Cliffy how I LOL)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Can someone explain why Gears is making me play the 2006 version of a shitty mine-cart stage to get to the next fun part?

(USE THE UV TURRENT, oh Cliffy how I LOL)

The UV Turret is even worse with co-op for some reason. There are some dissapointing items in Gears, but I didn't much mind the minecarts since they're easy and quick (even on insane). Theres a couple more out of character sections in the game that will have you doing things like turning cranks and shit, but not much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: