The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Community Service Bulletin: Don't Buy Lair. Warhawk instead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Community Service Bulletin: Don't Buy Lair. Warhawk instead? Reply with quote

Seriously, I went against all my better judgment & lack of faith in IGN and picked this up a couple days ago. It is a horrible excuse for a game.

I just can't wait for something to be released on the PS3 worth trading it in for.

Last edited by silentmatt on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade it in for Everyday Shooter!
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely looking forward to ES but, unfortunately, they haven't even put out a release date yet (as far as I can see).

Plus, it looks to be download only, so the trade-in wouldn't work for that one.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear good things about Warhawk. I loooooooooooooved the first one, but I haven't read up enough on this one to know if there's a robust enough single-player component. The retail version isn't so bad, considering the bluetooth headset.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Warhawk... there is NO single player component. At all.

Not even a tutorial or anything like that. The entire game is online only (unless you do the split-screen offline mode with a couple of your friends).

Which, I guess if you really like playing games online, then it is cool. But, personally, I pretty much prefer offline gaming (I haven't even attempted Motorstorm or Resistance's online mode since getting the games with my PS3)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Plus, it looks to be download only, so the trade-in wouldn't work for that one.

That was the joke.
Slonie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I hear good things about Warhawk. I loooooooooooooved the first one, but I haven't read up enough on this one to know if there's a robust enough single-player component. The retail version isn't so bad, considering the bluetooth headset.

They sucked (nearly) everything that was great about the first game out of it.

But it really is pretty.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Which, I guess if you really like playing games online, then it is cool. But, personally, I pretty much prefer offline gaming (I haven't even attempted Motorstorm or Resistance's online mode since getting the games with my PS3)

You know, generally I don't like playing games online (especially random public matches on XBL) but if you like a game enough from the play perspective I recommend giving it a chance anyways. I really ended up putting up with a lot from Shadowrun, but every moment has been worth it because I couldn't have gotten the same experience from a single player game. You know, the caveat is that the game has to be worth playing to put up with the online bullshit.

Also, I totally warned you about Lair.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the good PS3 games right now?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
So what are the good PS3 games right now?

flOw: if you want to relax and eat things
Virtua Fighter 5: If you like very solid and balanced 3D fighters
Super Stardust HD: If you want to blow up rocks and wish that you were playing a better game.

Um, I'm at a loss here. OH! If you have the US/JP 60gb model it has excellent backwards compatability.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm not sold on any of those things. And Playstation 2s are still £100! At this rate, I'm probably not going to consider buying a PS3 until the year 2017.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt's mostly right. Ridge Racer 7's pretty good too. Warhawk's decent, but I don't play games online so it's not for me.

Little Big Planet will be good at least!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you totally did warn me about Lair. I figured they couldn't have messed it up too bad.... and, boy, did they prove me wrong.

However! I was able to trade it in and, actually, get almost all of my money back since it was so recently released. Which was nice.

I ended up trading it in for a used copy of Genji (mostly because one of my best friends liked the PS2 version and wanted to test out the PS3 one) and the Warhawk bundle.

Having already said that I don't like online gaming much... Warhawk is pretty fun. I still completely suck at flying, but the ground controls and land vehicles feel about right. It is one of those "fire it up, play a couple rounds and then do something else" kind of experiences though. At least for me.

As far as the "best" PS3 has to offer right now... I'd probably lean towards Ninja Gaiden: Sigma (for those who didn't get to play the original, like me) or even Resistance. I know it is a fairly generic FPS but I really liked the atmosphere/the weapons/etc. Whenever I get a chance, I'm replaying it on superhuman difficulty and going for some of the skill points I missed on my first run through.

Motorstorm, which I pretty much hated at first, is a lot more fun when playing coop with someone (swapping the control each map). By the end it does get pretty frustratingly hard though. The lack of split-screen definitely mars that purchase though.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God hates Resistance so it must be good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the minute and a half I have to wait each time I boot the game up. Who doesn't want to sit through a long THX animation? It just makes sense to have some guy with a jet pack and a can that makes cow noises to be mandatory viewing every single time you boot up the game.

And I just lost because I'm suppose to kill rhinos, but they don't tell me how. "Maul them!" Okay, I fly near them, see the "Press L2 and R2 to land" pop-up, land, and then smack them until I lose. I look at a walkthrough to find out, oh, I have to target them, dash to them, and THEN I shake the controller to rip off their armor. Right. Thanks for explaining that to me.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consolevania guys said Ridge Racer is the best game on the PS3, and it does look pretty good. However they said you should only buy it (and a PS3) if you've already got an Xbox360 and Wii. Huh. The graphic are pretty amazing though! It makes the XBox360 look like the Gamecube!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The graphic are pretty amazing though! It makes the XBox360 look like the Gamecube!

Honestly, it doesn't look much better than the 360 version. I played them side by side and there's a bit more detail, but what else would you expect with 18 months more of dev time for, essentially, the same game.

ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM moving left!! AAAHHH YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!! > Blue ... BLUE ... BLUE!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I hadn't played the XBox 360 version when I typed that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Admittedly I hadn't played the XBox 360 version when I typed that.
Have you now then?

silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I AM moving left!! AAAHHH YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!! > Blue ... BLUE ... BLUE!

....And that is why I traded my copy in for Warhawk. Which is MUCH MORE FUN. Except when the server chokes and eats all of your stats, that is.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have Warhawk sitting next to me, looking all sexy. I want to finish Lair first. The game would be unbelievably short(er) if it weren't for the poor controls, erratic objective updates, and filler. I didn't read much about Lair before playing it, so I'm not as disappointed as most, but man does it suck to fight a giant snake on the back of a dragon and not have fun.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap, we should definitely play Warhawk together soonish. That game is so much better than I was expecting it to be.

I admire your dedication to Lair. Honestly, I was playing it with a friend and we got through all of the training missions and the first 3 missions... and that was all we could take. It just wasn't fun. At all.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm halfway through. I think it's taken me about 3 hours, with around 2 of those me replaying levels. It took a while to beat that damn snake.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bust out Warhawk yet, Ryan?

It seems they are finally (somewhat) getting their shit together. Stats shouldn't disappear anymore and they update pretty frequently. That being said, my "rank" is like 4 tiers above where my points are supposed to place it - so I keep getting put into pretty hard ranked games (which I kind of enjoy anyhow, so I don't mind too much). I'm sure I'll be demoted to my real rank soon enough.

According to my stats, I've put in almost 20 hours with the game already. Which is pretty amazing considering I feel like I have not played it that long at all. This says good things about the game - I find myself in a "just one more match" kind of zone often, creating vendettas against the better players on the opposite team. It is fun although I'm sure there are more polished online experiences out there.

Honestly, I muted the voices so, except for when someone pulls up in a jeep and honks at me to get in, I guess I am not subjecting myself to the whole "on-line experience". Perhaps one of these days I'll bother hooking up the headset and listening to what people are saying.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just opened it tonight, actually. I have some management to go over and some work material, but I was determined to get in some quality time with it - I beat Lair so I figured I was due - and then my connection crapped out. I was hoping there would be some bots so I could practice offline, but no such luck. Once my connection stabilizes tonight I'm going to hop online for a few rounds.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For training purposes (i.e. getting used to the controls and all), your best bet is to just set-up a LAN game and run around each map for a couple minutes. Yeah, it is lonely but it is better than going straight online and not knowing what the controls are.

I think I maybe played like 10 minutes or so like that before going online.

Note that if you are going for stats, you need to play in ranked games - which are the ones with the trophy icon in the menu. All of Sony's servers (appear in blue) are ranked, but there are also some non-Sony servers (white) that have ranked matches as well - often with more variety in the level choices.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... Warhawk doesn't even have offline bots?

Does it even have a training mode?

EDIT: Looking at metacritic my mind is reeling after the whole Shadowrun business. REELING.

silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no offline content at all. Unless you have some friends around to do a 4-player splitscreen game or more than one PS3 to do a LAN game with.

Which I thought would make it horrible but, in truth, I like it. I don't think a single player campaign would have suited the game at all. Plus, they have had so many problems with just overseeing the online functionality, to divert that attention to other areas... It probably would be ugly.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lack of any single player a big blow. I played Unreal Tournament with bots more than I did with people because it was so much easier to get a game going. Sometimes I only have 10-15 minutes to play but I still want to, so having a few rounds with bots is perfect.

The lack of any tutorials is inexcusable. You want people to play by themselves to learn how to use vehicles? That would be great if I was only going from A to B, but having to play against other people while trying to learn how to lead a target in a tank or the jeep's machine gun's firing power is just messy.

I just played for about 30 minutes. I really enjoy how the vehicles handle, though I can't really hit stuff very well. The lack of all but the most basic ways to edit controls is a pain - R2 to accelerate and R1 to fire is a bitch - but my hands should adjust shortly. People hate going for flags in unranked matches though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
I don't think a single player campaign would have suited the game at all.

Yeah, see, like, this is the EXACT opposite defense of Shadowrun reviews even though it's essentially the same circumstance. On top of that SR has excellent Bots and a fantastic Tutorial.

I'm seriously at the greatest loss on what to think here. I would say it's the price point, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $40 for non-physical media, so the game is still $60 to me.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out. This is because of the general level of quality in PS3 games right now.

silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does Shadowrun come with a bluetooth headset?

Haha. But seriously, to many people.. it was like buying a headset and, for an extra $10, getting Warhawk. Not that I've actually used mine yet but anyways.

I would have liked the inclusion of bots, for sure. Especially for an offline game with a friend or two (I only have 2 controllers and the maps are pretty damn huge for one on one matches). Campaign though? Meh. It probably would have been too Medal of Honor for my tastes.

I've never played Shadowrun so I can't really compare. Warhawk is lite in alot of ways - the controls are pretty simple, the rules are simple... I think it got high scores because it is the PS3s best use of "pick-up and play" online. There are always slots available in matches and joining a match is pretty easy to do.

I looked at Shadowrun's meta-critic score, just to see what you were saying... and it looks like many reviews were pretty favourable with a few that really despised it. Those few outliers really weigh down the average.

edit: Oh yeah, I guess you could play unranked matches as a form of training. I didn't bother to do that though (I've yet to play an unranked match).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
But does Shadowrun come with a bluetooth headset?

Well, you know there's no need with the system coming with a free headset anyways.

Also, that headset's only worth about $25. And! you have to recharge it.
Quote:
I looked at Shadowrun's meta-critic score, just to see what you were saying... and it looks like many reviews were pretty favourable with a few that really despised it. Those few outliers really weigh down the average.

Well, see the thing is that Shadowrun was skewerd in score with things like "Great gameplay but no single player 7/10 this game needs single player." Where Warhawk seems to be like "Good gameplay but no single player 8/10 this game doesn't need single player." This really boggels my mind.

EDIT: Also, after watching a bit of gameplay for Warhawk it seems almost exactly like Lost Planet, which has an amazing single player game with like 14 maps for online play (and from how you've discribed it, a very similar ranked system).

ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying Warhawk! I'm not too good at it, and the server already reset on my stats, but it's good fun. I'm going to put some more time into it today, actually. I really like the tanks. And I didn't do too bad on foot either, what with the generous lock-on system for the assault rifle. The maps are pretty good as well. Not bad, all in all.

I have a weird feeling about digital downloads. I love physical media - the collector in me will always want a box and manual - but the convenience of having games an Internet connection away - I bought Half-Life 2 Silver, so anytime I load up Steam on a computer I have Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, Opposing Forces, Blue Shift, Day of Defeat: Source, and other random goodies - would make this a pretty solid buy. I don't know what I'm going to do with the headset since my desktop doesn't use bluetooth. I might use switch Skype to my laptop and use it there, since I also hate talking to people when I play.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to join the game you are in... but it is full. Boooooooooo.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats! You missed me humiliating myself trying to pilot a warhawk. I cannot get a hang of those damn things. I still have jitters, too, where I get so excited about having an enemy in my sites that I just spray the area. I've taken to capturing areas and manning defenses so that I actually help my team out, instead of just freaking out and getting shot.

I gets server full messages all of the time. That 16/32? Full. The 21/32? Full.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I also hate talking to people when I play.

I only don't like talking to people on VS stuff. When it's team related then I feel like I need to talk, and when it's just a bunch of friends dicking around I want to talk. So yeah, I sort of agree with you there. Then again, I totally try only to play with friends, or at least wade into the public waters with one or two of them.

silentmatt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I gets server full messages all of the time. That 16/32? Full. The 21/32? Full.

Yeah, that bug popped up again a couple days ago. They had it fixed - I swear - last week. Then they took everything down Monday and it worked beautifully (stats now update pretty much within 5 minutes or so after quitting a match) but now this again. They do routine maintenance every morning and big work on Monday mornings so hopefully it'll be fixed - latest - by Monday.

Don't worry about sucking at Warhawks... so do I. An UNBELIEVABLE amount. Like, I don't even know if I have gotten a Warhawk vs Warhawk kill yet... and I've played between 20 and 30 hours of the game. I basically hop in them, drive as fast as humanly possible to where I want to go and jump out. Being in a Warhawk is like painting a bullseye on your forward and running into the enemy base. That being said... there are people who are amazing with them. I guess it probably just takes time and practice.

Despite that... I can still manage to get in the top positions at the end of most rounds, just by ground assault (i love the tanks) and capturing bases. I usually only play Zone games, so there is lots of opportunity to take bases and get points.

I'll go back into the game now and see if yer still online.

EDIT: BIG WARNING: I've noticed that, if I quit a match and then... like right after go and check my stats... it won't find my profile and I'll lose all of my customization stuff. Which is SUPER annoying. Through trial and error, it seems that once you quit, if you just wait a few minutes or log-off and back on again, everything should work fine.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll talk when people I know are on. Back when Halo 2 was being played a bunch by insert credit folks I would chat regularly. A lot of people don't chat much in Warhawk, which is odd considering the headset. I wonder if that means the digital version is selling more, or maybe people just don't like feel like syncing the headset up through the crossbar.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played some warhawk last night at a friend's house. I really wish that I could change the controls for the warhawk between hover and flying mode (maybe I could, but I didn't look into it too deeply). I only really like flying the airplane (control-wise) when I'm actually flying an airplane—in all other cases I'd rather have the control scheme not be flipped. I had a lot of trouble playing Gun because of this, too. They have no idea what the difference is between moving the camera with the control stick and moving the player with the control stick.

Also I spent most of my time getting lost in the maps and then suiciding so I could find my way again. Despite the fact that nobody liked perfect dark zero, the scalable map thing seems like a really good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the controls between flight and hover mode. It is in the options menu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: