The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

many more stories are yet to be written (knytt stories)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to find time to keep up with the scene.

i'm putting the finishing touches on an eleven-page pitch document for a scrolling shooter.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
riku island is a very pretty little adventure that asks you to do little more than explore a few little environments, each with its own little rewards. there's some needless soliloquy and a lot of getting stuck on the environment, but all in all it's an experience that asks nothing more of you than to enjoy it, which is something i'd like to see more of from user-created stories.

Hmm. It didn't knock my socks off. It was pretty, visually, but it felt a little aimless. I didn't feel like i'd been on an adventure or discovered anywhere particularly interesting . I wasn't too impressed with the implementation of the telescope-based teleporting system, either.

I don't think you can just let the player chance upon magical little villages like that and expect to enjoy them. You have to make them feel like they've travelled and discovered them by themselves. I think a game like this is a success if it can make you feel like you're the only person in the world who has discovered what you discovered, because then you're truly inhabiting the character of your in-game avatar. I think there are a number of moments like that in the Legend of Zelda games, for example. For me, this is kind of an example of how not to do this sort of thing.

Oh yeah, and too much dumb talking!
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just so not up my alley. I gave it a try but got bored of the squinty sprites and general lack of direction. I don't like Metroid type stuff in general, but this just takes it to a whole new level of desolation.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play some of dess's levels, they are better
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Play some of dess's levels, they are better
I'd say no to this. Making the most super awesome hot fudge sundae is not going to help if someone just doesn't like ice cream. Also, her levels play that desolation theme Worm is not fond of. What's tha one with Toups doing the music? Oubliette. Yeah, that one especially.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But her levels have no 'lack of direction' and are far, far away from being Metroid games. They are tight and focused and completely linear. What do you want, jam on it?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's with total surprise that i realize i havn't posted a link to three square, an elegant little maze. don't be put off by the default "level start" and "you win!" screens. yes, i know they're the knytt equivalent of yellow borders.

the sequel (four square) also does a few neat things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything is going to make me like what is essentially the jump puzzle distilled and refined into it's own genre. If I wanted to deal with that stuff I could start playing God of War and get to see tits and blood while I'm doing it.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
Max Cola

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love jumping puzzles. And Metroid! Did you try Dess's levels? They are very good. "Torchlight" is my personal favorite. Not a lot of "jumping puzzles" in there. "The Oubliette" is a little rough though. I like Mister Toups' song.

Basically instead of "tits and blood" it's "lovely 2D landscapes with pretty mucis", but if that's not your thing I can see why you don't like it. You should never force yourself to like something!

I would make a level, but I can never finish projects...
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
Worm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Cola wrote:
Basically instead of "tits and blood"

I'm still hoping that GTA IV is the game that lets me cut off someone's tits.

Max Cola

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is truly the spark of ingenuity that games have been waiting for.
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
Max Cola wrote:
Basically instead of "tits and blood"

I'm still hoping that GTA IV is the game that lets me cut off someone's tits.

That made me do a LOL
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first exquisite corpse-inspired Knytt Stories level is now available. It is a curious amalgam of styles, aesthetics and difficulty. It's also bitchingly difficult, if you go in for that sort of thing; I contributed the section leading down to the Climb Walls upgrade.
WarpZone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting to say Dessgeega's Torchlight is my favorite Knytt Story.

Whereas Nifflas' games basically require you to appreciate the games simply as these bare aesthetic pieces, Torchlight finds a way to connect these aesthetic ends to how the game actually plays. Nifflas often uses light and shadow for atmosphere, but this is the only story I've seen where they effect how you play. Light is suggested as a goal, something you implicitly try to reach, and darkness always works to deprive that. As you keep slipping further into darkness, you can't help but walk towards the light because that's all you can do, giving a feeling of desperation.

"Dark/invisible" rooms are often handled poorly in games, but these have an underlying consistency and fairness. At some points, I kept jumping up and down, stabbing at the darkness, waiting for Juni to cling to a wall that I knew would be there. It was just a matter of finding precisely where. It represents the feeling of reaching out with your hands to grab hold of something, and creates emotional gameplay through interaction (or the withholding of it), something again not seen in Nifflas' work. The pacing of enemies also creates its own little story as you fall deeper. The section where you walk right (the path you're trained to follow) and see a cluster of spiked enemies, so you walk left, and see another cluster, is a great example of a kind of sadistic design humor.

I'd like to maybe do something as an inverse of Nifflas' games, where you start with all the abilities and gradually lose them, one by one, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the editor.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Crack is good, too! And The Oubliette.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarpZone wrote:
I'd like to maybe do something as an inverse of Nifflas' games, where you start with all the abilities and gradually lose them, one by one, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the editor.

as of the last update to the editor, it is! screen transitions have been given the capability to turn player abilities off.

being reduced from running to walking could be a fairly affecting climax for such a story.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a hint as to the theme of your next level?
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why the game is PSP sized on my huge monitor? It's some tileset stuff, right? That's why some dwarf fortress tilesets look retarded. I mean if I was going to try to get into it again, it definitely doesn't help that it's all squinty.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Is that a hint as to the theme of your next level?

it wasn't intended as such, but actually yes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just when i was starting to worry no one was producing interesting knytt stories anymore. the keeper of dreams is interesting. it's also plagued by frustrating design decisions, like asking the player to jump to off-screen platforms she can't see until she lands (they're surrounded by deadly water, of course) and an environment that seems often to want to sabotage my momentum rather than maintain it. oh, and black enemies on black backgrounds.

oh, and it ends in the dumbest way possible, making me wonder why people insist on torturing knytt stories into making it do things it was never designed to do. it manages some effective mood, though, mostly because of its visuals, which explore a wide palette of darkness. but it feels like the sort of environment that ought to be uninhabited, and i think it would be more effective if it were (and not just because of the frustration enemies in knytt stories invariably cause).

hey, my new story's coming along pretty well.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bugs me is when Knytt Stories level designers are inconsistant with which NPCs can talk and which can't. Like why does this little dude have something to say and this one doesn't? . Nifflas is especially guilty of this. It's really cold when you find a weird little character in the middle of some underground cavern and it straight-up just ignores you. I WANT TO TALK TO THE LITTLE MAN, GOD.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessgeega I hope your level will have lots of little men to talk to. Especially, you should put me, Daph and Cycle in the game. That would make it a 10/10.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, no little men. but there is a little woman. she tends a lighthouse.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best auntie ever.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! If only I didn't have to go to work right now D:
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, aren't you at Daphny's house

Have you been spending your whole time there programming damn Knytt Stories D:
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i've just spent a little time here and there finishing up the level and adding some final polish.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it "Daphny's house" am I meaningless Sad
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY IS NO-ONE TALKING ABOUT DESSGEEGA'S LEVEL

(I still haven't played it)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to play her Oblivion mod but I only have the Xbox version.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess I will probably have time to play your level on sunday, and I am greatly looking forward to it
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the tileset as well as the well-placed balcony visits, setting the pace and changing weather perfectly. It's a short and sweet piece and there should be more of them. I like how you're trying to find new ways to use the engine beyond just exploratory landscape poetry.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
WHY IS NO-ONE TALKING ABOUT DESSGEEGA'S LEVEL

(I still haven't played it)

Oh, hey. I thought this was a reference to the Oblivion mod.

The Lighthouse is clever. If you're familiar with the mechanics and architecture Knytt Stories employs, you will probably be surprised by the Lighthouse. Little things here and there; to describe them would probably be a disservice.

I am conflicted: I found these little tricks intriguing and (on a level) enjoyable. They were also such a departure from the traditional KS experience that... that... well, that I'm devoting my entire post here to discussing them. They were surprising in a way that I didn't expect, and I found that before I'd played for a minute, I'd had to restart three times because I felt like I needed to reexamine something.

The Lighthouse is an interesting space, but it is overshadowed by the framework within which it exists.

If I ever actually construct the piece of interactive fiction I keep pretending to work on, its structure will be radically different than I thought it would be an hour ago.

What else can I say? The Lighthouse is, after much soul-searching, my second-favorite of dessgeega's stories. I also think it's interesting that this comes on the heels of Mighty Jill Off, which was also about vertical ascent.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my oblivion mod had a lot of vertical space, too. rumor has it my next project is going to be pretty vertical as well.

it's a theme i'm exploring, let's say.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played your Knytt Stories level. It was good, but it felt more like the first level of a longer narrative rather than a self-contained story. I suppose that's because there isn't really any conflict or change- you just go from a to b and it ends.

Confilict is the basis of drama, or whatever it is they say. Maybe if you only had a minute before the fog rolled in and a ship crashed onto the rocks, or something. It's a nice piece, and it's laid out superbly, but it needs something to give it a hook.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, dess, jeez, where are the aliens and shit?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alien vampires burn on contact to the light, you guys!

Also, ships not crashing onto rocks is pretty cool!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys get what I'm saying, though, right

I mean, you see the discrepancy between this one and her previous levels. It just seems like a sketch, rather than a finished thing. I didn't feel like I'd been on a journey.

I dunno, maybe I need to play it again!
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love making out as much as the next hot-blooded individual, but sometimes, I just want to take a walk.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think, Dessgeega
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I mean, you see the discrepancy between this one and her previous levels.

i wish. i haven't undertaken the effort to try to get knytt stories to run on my mac.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right

Well in that case, you can take your sarcastic comments and THROW THEM UP YOUR HOOP
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll throw you under one of those two-tiered buses.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I love making out as much as the next hot-blooded individual, but sometimes, I just want to take a walk.

Hey wait, who have you been talking to, Dracko
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Dess, answer my questions about your level already
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see what you're saying, harveyjames. I mean, there isn't really any conflict in any of dess's levels. There's hostility, maybe, and EVERY level she's made contains the possibility of death. There isn't really a dramatic narrative in the traditional sense, though. Under the Crack has the most, in that you've lost your umbrella, but then you've found your umbrella (while losing your way), and then you find your way home.

I seem to recall someone (Tim?) making a big deal about how "The queen died, and then the king died" is a sentence, but "The queen died, and then the king died of grief" is a story. Dessgeega makes spare levels, certainly, but I don't see a parallel between the first sentence and the Lighthouse.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see how the first three levels she made are far more satisfying from a narrative point of view, though, right?
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
You see how the first three levels she made are far more satisfying from a narrative point of view, though, right?

No. I don't see any narrative difference between this and the oubliette. In both you need to go somewhere hard to reach. That's all the NARRATIVE difference I can see.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

No.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these little chats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: