The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Hero III / Rock Band
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
My roommate brought home the wii version. It's considerably prettier than the PS2 version,

No shit, huh? I really want to see some comparisons. Are the cardboard cut-out crown members still there?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shit! Hmmm... Looking for footage now...
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in a copy of GH3 for the PS2 and Wii. With the Wii and the PS2 out, I purchased a pelican adapter to get PS2 controllers to work on PS3. The unit even has a slider for Normal and GH2. A shame the stupid controller is crap. The green button either doesn't work or is synced up with the orange. I checked online and found that it is apparently the neck's fault, due to it not locking in place properly. All systems are having the same problems.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's the Wii version visually in comparison?

I was going to get the Xbox 360 version, but my Xbox just red-ringed yesterday, so I guess I won't be playing guitar-anything on Xbox 360 for a month or so... :-(
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wii is off for repairs. I was getting weird graphical anomalies - pixels would change to black or a weird red and not move with the rest of the screen - so I was relying on the PS2 version to rock out. There will be no rocking for quite some time though. Unfortunate!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I purchased a pelican adapter to get PS2 controllers to work on PS3.

This thing is a complete piece of shit. If you're wondering if your controller is messing up or if it's the adapter, it's definitely the adapter.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching for what was going on, it was the adapter recommended because of the setting. The adapter is picking up the guitar, and the base of the guitar actually works, it's the neck that doesn't respond. A quick google search for it confirmed that it's just not a well-made unit.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played GHIII for Xbox 360 at a store today. Sweet Christ, it's like a completely different game than the PS2 version. Damn you, broken Xbox! Damn yooouuuuuuuuuu!
fish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH3 is CRASS.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy GH3 for Wii today but my local shop is out! Dammit!!
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in a working guitar yesterday. Yessssssssssss! Now if I only had my memory cards I wouldn't have to play the same 10 songs over and over.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, does GH3 Wii have breast physics or what!?
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wii is still out being repaired! AAHHH!!!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAHHH!

I really want to get this tonight so I can stop thinking about getting it. If I get the Wii version, let's play onlinuuuuuuuuuu~~
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and buy Rock Band? Even if you don't own a 360, you still shouldn't buy this game, I think.

(the online play isn't very good in the Wii version, anyway)
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own a 360, but it's broken right now. I will probably buy Rock Band, somewhere along the lines of when it's not $170.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
GH3 is CRASS.
Crass is in GHIII? This is many kinds of awesome.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that the Star Power animations in GH3 are actually really sucky compared to the wicked shit they did in GH2? I mean my favourite character is Lars and he used to breathe fire! Now little glowy stars come out of his hands. What the hell! And nobody throws their guitar up in the air and continues to play anymore. I am OUTRAGED and also ENJOYING IT IMMENSELY. Though I wish there were like less rock songs I have never heard of on there. Perhaps next they will go a GH4: Bluegrass and country edition. Yes, yes.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, almost all the animation is pretty toned down. I played a bit of GH2 for comparison and Judy Nails really moves around the stage in that game, kicking her heels up and generally looking like she's having a really good time.

So, here's how my saga has ended up. After calling all around town, I realized that the Wii game is completely unobtainable at this time. Nobody has it and nobody is expecting to get it again (if at all) until closer to Christmas.

So, defeated, I booted up my obtained PS2 version and decided to give it a spin once more. I found that the game really grew on me. I played with my TV's settings, and jammed up the sharpness and saturation, which actually makes the game look a lot better (I'll take a photo sometime). I ended up not being able to stop playing, and I beat it on medium.

Certain things still bug me, like how GH2 still has a way, way better lighting engine, whereas all the lighting on the PS2 GH3 is flat and washed out. Still, I'm loving a lot of the songs.

Take, for instance, Metallica's "One." The last time I fake-played this song, I was nine years old and in the only music class I'd ever take in my life. Our whole class was supposed to break off into "bands" and make a music video. All the dipshits around me were planning on making fucking New Kids on the Block videos, but me—oh no. I recruited three friends—Jimmy, Brad and Wilson—and convinced them that our viideo was going to be Metallica.

So my metal-loving older brother fashioned me an Xplorer out of masonite so I could look like James Fucking Hetfield, and he taught me how to fake-play "One." My band was awesome. We were the headbangiest nine-year-olds you ever saw. Curse the fates for somehow depriving me of the VHS tape of that video.

Anyway, so playing "One" in GH3 was practically biblical for me. I will pony up for the 360 version of this game whenever I get my new machine. Until now, I'll deal with my last-gen wired version (holy shit, do I hate wired controllers all of a sudden).

So sad am I that I might not have an Xbox when Rock Band is released. I have a feeling that though I don't want to pay $170, I will somehow get this sooner than I think. Nine Inch Nails is calling me, and the chance to finally fake-play drums the way Guitar Hero allowed me to fake-play guitar is intoxicating.

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep, I'm all worked up!

(By the way, If anyone gets the Wii version of GH3, I'd still love to see some images.)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a demo of Rock Band in Best Buy. It was near closing time, so my roommate and I were unimpeded.

He played drums; I played guitar. (I really wanted drums, but he has no experience with music games, and figuring out how to hit drums is way easier than picking up a guitar controller for the first time.)

I adore the presentation of the game. The cheering in the background as you play better, unison points, close-ups of the instruments to highlight their solos in gritty, black-and-white, old-concert-video looking moments--it's all about pumping up your ego. You really feel like you're feeding off of your own success, but more importantly you feed off the success of your bandmates. The songlist (on the demo, at least) does a great job of balancing collaboration and virtuosity.

We played "Should I Stay or Should I Go," "Say It Ain't So," and "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, dudes, SLASH is going to be at a bookstore 20 seconds from my home today to sign his new autobiography. I so, so, SO want to buy GHIII right now and get him to sign it.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Man, I wish I could teleport money to you to get a signed book.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really regret not making the time to go to that signing last night. :-(
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i really love how bad my friends sound singing, karaoke machine get!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys think in the future there'll be a game like this except you can just run your own music into it?

probably not but hey you never know. processing power goes up, costs go down, etc etc and so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will forever enjoy Vib Ribbon because of that feature.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex: Harmonix has actually already suggested that might do exactly that, although I'm not too hopeful that the results will be especially great based on the ipod game they released.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is that ipod game i havent played it yet

is it like amplitude tell me about the game deets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
I will forever enjoy Vib Ribbon because of that feature.

I will forever love Vib Ribbon because of the music that comes with it!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo the beat is strong but the night is long

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, word is that Rock Band will be patched soon to improve "guitar compatibility". It is unknown what this really, in essence, refers to but many people are hoping it means that the GH3 guitar will work with RB (in also hoping it will make the RB guitars work with GH but doubt that will happen).

Considering the Rock Band bundle is bass-less (and that they aren't selling additional guitars until February - which, REALLY, is ridiculous), this makes me think I actually should go out and buy the GH3 PS3 bundle in preparation, if nothing else, for the Rock Band bundle.

Being in Canada though, Rock Band hasn't even been released yet (now they are saying it'll hit stores on the 20th) so I don't know what the likelihood of finding a copy of it will be around Christmastime anyways (I'm guessing "not good", considering I'll be leaving on the 15th for Toronto, so I can't preorder it from my local store nor from a Toronto shop).

But yeah, if details on this patch are released and they point to GH3 guitars working with RB... I'll go out that night and pick up the PS3 version of GH3.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Toronto! We should fight the Combine.

Yeah, the guitar game scenario is all a mess right now! Oddly, I had a dream this morning—don't even ask me why, I have no idea—about Guitar Hero III on the Wii. For some reason, there was an announcement, and suddenly I decided I wanted the Wii version of this game.

Then I woke up, checked some game news, and found out that GHIII for the Wii is getting downloadable songs after all. Really, really freaky.

That I'm dreaming about a Wii game is really sad, but that those dreams are becoming prophetic is frightening.

I'm almost hesitant to get this game for Xbox now (as if I can fucking find it) because of all the bullshit I'm having to deal with regarding my replacement 360.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Dude, Toronto! We should fight the Combine.

Good news and bad news. I'm looking over the "schedule" (compiled based upon my family's demands and Arlie's family's plans) and it looks like this visit is ridiculously booked. I'd love to get together and game but I just don't know how realisitic it is for this trip. Now, with that out of the way... We are 100% moving to somewhere within the Greater Toronto Area come June! So, hell yes man. It is on.

(funnily enough, I just picked up the Orange Box and playing HL2 for the first time. Wow, do I feel out of the loop).

Lestrade wrote:

Yeah, the guitar game scenario is all a mess right now! Oddly, I had a dream this morning—don't even ask me why, I have no idea—about Guitar Hero III on the Wii. For some reason, there was an announcement, and suddenly I decided I wanted the Wii version of this game.

I don't know if I'd go with the Wii version. I imagine it looks as crap (if not worse) than the PS2 version. Sure, you're going to save a few bucks but I don't know.

Lestrade wrote:
I'm almost hesitant to get this game for Xbox now (as if I can fucking find it) because of all the bullshit I'm having to deal with regarding my replacement 360.

I actually, totally by fluke, happened upon a copy for the PS3 on Wednesday. I went in to pick up the Orange Box and inquired about GH3... and the store had received one copy in their order that morning. PURE LUCK.

Now, compared to the PS2 version, it is like a totally different game. It looks stunning. The wireless guitar? Generally fantastic (although I think it is not as sensitive on the frets as my wired guitar). The horrible load times that plagued the PS2 version? Absolutely non-existent (at some points I was hoping for a LONGER load time to stretch out my wrist). My only real complaint is that I only have the one guitar so no coop or face-offs at the moment. I am hoping the whole "patching for compatibility" ordeal is over by the time I find a copy of Rock Band.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Yeah, there are copies of the PS3 game lining the roads here. Well, there were; I was half-considering just buying a goddamn PS3 and the game so I could stop hunting for the thing. Dammit, maybe tomorrow I'll check again for the Xbox version.

But! Rock Band comes out next Thursday; I anticipate a midnight line-up (sigh). I will absolutely do it, too.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious? It is a total rarity out here. My local EB said that, since launch, they have received less than 25 copies in TOTAL. Which is absurd.

I had previously checked, on a whim, 5 different stores (ranging from indie game shop to FutureShop and Toys 'R Us) and none of them had any console version of GH3. Although, there were hundreds of the PC version strewn about.

I'm looking forward to Rock Band. In actuality, I only decided to buy GH3 when I heard that the Rock Band guys were making a patch to make the GH3 guitar work with their game. Legal crap notwithstanding, my goal is to have a full Rock Band set-up at some point this winter - although, definitely not at launch. A ridiculously hot title, day of release, right before Christmas? That is a whole world of hell.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, have you seen the recently-shown PS2 version of Rock Band? It's quite impressive. Despite the scaled-back functionality (i.e. a simplified World Tour mode, no character creation and no online play), the game looks amazing; I can't believe how close the PS2 version looks in comparison to the next-gen releases.

It makes you wonder how the PS2 and Wii versions of Guitar Hero III got so butchered, visually speaking.

Errrgh. It's 6:00 am and I'm nursing a hangover. :-/
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
It makes you wonder how the PS2 and Wii versions of Guitar Hero III got so butchered, visually speaking.

Lazy developers.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

I just checked some retailer sites and they're listing Rock Band (both the next-gen and PS2 versions) at $199.99 CAD. Goddammit, haven't they figured this out yet? I am not paying $30 over the US price for this. I wish I knew someone who was crossing the border who could bring me a copy back.

EDIT: I just double-checked with my local game shop and man, is this whole situation completely fucked. Apparently most Canadian stores are only getting the game next week, not the bundle. That isn't coming until the 28th, and it is going to cost two hundred dollars.

"What the fuck!?" I said to my retailer. It's $160 in the States. "We know," they said. "They know they can charge that and people will buy it."

I told them that, in fact, I wouldn't! God, you couldn't get me to pay $200 for a game if it came with a free blowjob.

So the point of this poorly-written account is that I am going to acquire (I leave the interpretation of that up to you) the PS2 version and play the guitar parts until you can walk into a store and buy the game for a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, and there isn't a copy of GH3 for Xbox anywhere in sight. Fucking game companies.

SECOND EDIT: There's a reason the PS2 version of Rock Band looks so good; it's pre-rendered!
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your serious? The bundle isn't coming on the 18th?

That is nonsensical. How can anyone play the game without the instruments? (I'm mainly referring to the PS3 version which doesn't work with the GH3 instruments nor the PS2 guitars)

Just the game is worthless as an initial purchase...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. I also asked some douche at an HMV and he had the same info listed on his system. I asked about the bundle and he said it was listed for $249—at which point, I told him he was fucking crazy and ripping people off.

Are you (or is anyone) bothered by the PS2 pre-rendering? Would you rather have dynamic-yet-ugly visuals (GH3 for PS2) or gorgeous-but-never-changing visuals (Rock Band)? I mean, if your only choice was the PS2 version of either game. I'm just curious.
Max Cola

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done with playing Rock Band at a friend's house for probably eight or nine hours!

It was awesome. Really fun. Basically it's guitar hero with drums and vocals added. The GH2 guitar is compatible, which is good as the packaged RB guitar fucking sucks. I sang vocals (like a lot) and it's pretty tough if you don't know the melody! I played it on easy most of the time because it was more fun that way. Star Power is the best part - just yell something into the mic at the right moment and your voice EXPLODES out of the screen with an awesome reverb effect.

Drums I didn't play much, but even on easy they're really damn hard. You mess up once and you're pretty much finished.

We played almost the whole song list. My friend sang "Say It Ain't So" in the "Creed voice" and I damn near had a heart attack, I was laughing so hard.
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god that's great.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, singing songs in odd styles is a lot of fun. Lounge singer Maps is a good time, guaranteed.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. FINALLY. Here I was after work today, suddenly sick with something like my fourth cold this year (seriously, what is going on?). After labourously finding a Secret Santa gift for tomorrow's company dinner, I wandered into the Future Shop at Dundas Square on a whim.

Walking through the door, I saw a picked-through stack of Guitar Hero boxes sitting on what looked like a carpeted pallet. Only PC copies remained. I almost rolled my eyes at the banality of the sight. I headed, sniffling, to the Xbox section of the store, where I knew the store had kept displays of the game, encircling a concrete pillar. I saw the usual—PS2, PS2, PC—huh? Suddenly I spied a whitish box propped up against the pillar, behind one of the stacks. It looked like someone had made a half-assed attempt to hide it.

I checked its face: Guitar Hero... Guitar Hero Three! I looked for the whitish band... yes, it was for the Xbox! I kind of latched on to it in surprise, confused like a mistreated animal. I made myself re-read the box a few times: yes, it's Guitar Hero III... yes, it's the Xbox version... yes, it's the wireless bundle.

I stood there in near shock. What, seriously? Just like that? I looked around to see if there were any strings or traps, and I half-guiltily crept over to the cash line, carrying the box and thinking I was going to get hit by lightening. I kept looking at people to see if they were looking at me as if to say, "Oh, another guy thought that was actually a real copy of the game and didn't realize it was an empty display box," or something. (It's funny what goes through one's head sometimes.)

So I paid for the thing, and took it home. I walked, desperate for fresh air. I almost expected to get mugged, because, hey, that was just way too easy!

When I got home, I set it all up and booted the game; to my utter surprise, everything worked perfectly! I didn't wake up and find myself in a foreign prison somewhere, delusional.

And that is the story of how I miraculously found a copy of Guitar Hero after all this time.

Man, the Les Paul is nice.

Does anyone have any idea how much the separate instruments will cost for Rock Band? If the drums are coming separately for a reasonable price, I don't mind picking up the game within the next couple of weeks to at least play the guitar parts. I can live without the Fender if I can counter the ridiculous $200 Canadian price tag.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey so I'm confused about how Rock Band can be pre-rendered. I heard they got rid of online play, the downloadable songs, and the World Tour mode on the PS2, but can you still create your own character? How do they do that if it's pre-rendered?

The answer to your question though is that I'd rather play a dynamically rendered version simply because it would allow the developers more versatility to do things like downloadable songs and custom characters. These things matter more to me than graphics.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no - they got rid of everything you mentioned including the ability to create-a-character in order to do pre-rendered.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the whole Rock Band situation here in Canada is completely fucked. The only version of the game you can get right is the standalone version; no bundles yet—perhaps not for weeks.

I think I'm going to buy/rent the game and just enjoy the guitar parts for now. When the drum kits are released separately in February, I can probably just get one of those. Don't the Rock Band Fenders kind of suck, anyway?
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Rock Band finally has a release date and stuff.

Oh wait! They want to charge about $300 for the game and a set of instruments.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could buy another xbox for the price of the full set down in australia. i might just get a ps3 instead!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: