The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give my PSP Phazon-injected super-powers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Give my PSP Phazon-injected super-powers Reply with quote

Okay, so my wife had her pretty white Japanese PSP uber-modded the other day with what is apparently a recently-released ultimate hack of destruction. I need your help, TGQ! Help make our PSP useful!

I want emulators and any apps you may think are useful/interesting. Please keep in mind that I'm using Mac OS X, so if something requires Windows to install, I'll probably be out of luck.

What's the best stuff? Can I run PS1 games on the thing?
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Prometeus. If you send the guy a few bucks, you can unlock it.

It lets you look inside game images, rip things, recompile them, rip PS1 games to PSP format... all sorts of goodies.

Hasn't been updated in forever, but still a great program.

W.A.T.T.k.s.' web-site: http://wattks.extra.hu/index.html

Yeah, PS1 emulation is really good... except for the fact that there are no R2/L2 buttons. Some games this isn't a big deal, but for others... it makes them almost impossible to enjoy.

As far as other things you can now do... there are literally hundreds of different emulators for all the different classic systems as well as the fact that you can now run iso/cso (compressed game images) of PSP titles too. You just need to find the right places to find them.

There is also a pretty huge homebrew community... you can get anythings from mp3 plugins (to listen to your own music while you play) & portable VNC viewers & spreadsheet apps and calculators. I tend to keep my eye on QJ's PSP news for the latest updates on that front.

Edit: so are you running M33's 3.52-4?
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Yeah, PS1 emulation is really good... except for the fact that there are no R2/L2 buttons. Some games this isn't a big deal, but for others... it makes them almost impossible to enjoy.

Mega Man Legends Sad
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm crazy, but I always hated using my PSP for emulation/apps. I finally just gave up and decided to play real games on it because the PSP just dosen't work really well as an emulation machine (both for screen refresh and for comfort).

I know, I'm not much of a help, sorry.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run PSX games on it, but I recommend staying away from dark, 2D stuff like SotN as the refresh rate really shows.

One of the best apps is the CPS2 emulator which will allow you play (most importantly) Mars Matrix and Progear. This emulator runs so smoothly.

NES and Genesis emulation on the PSP are also great. However, most NES games are going to look ugly because of the refresh rate Sad

PC-Engine emulation, but don't even try to get Rondo of Blood or Gradius II running because it's a pain in the ass and the best it gets is full speed but with shitty audio with popping noises. Just stick to playing Rondo on the PC.

There is a tate'd Noiz2sa port that is probably my favorite game on the PSP after DoDonPachi for PSX.

The Gameboy emulation is fine if you want to play some Super Mario Land, Link's Awakening, Metroid II, etc.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upcoming redesign has video out! Argh! Now if I can somehow hook up a controller to it. I know that defeats the purpose of it being portable, but I'd love to play Gradius Collection or Bomberman from a sofa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: