The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resident Evil 5: Sun-Soaked Zombie Adventures
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Resident Evil 5: Sun-Soaked Zombie Adventures Reply with quote

This is a spin-off from a post I made in the "Games You Are Playing" thread:

I wrote:
Also, my other complaint is the same one I had when playing the game [RE4] on PS2; if the game is going to let me believe that I can carry three guns, a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher and an assortment of items in a little "attaché case" (that I never, ever will see during the game), then the very notion of giving me inventory limitations is utterly ridiculous.

I really hope RE5 gives you real-world, discernible limitations on inventory. I want to be able to carry, say, a handgun and one large weapon (on my back), plus have a utility belt or some sort of backpack for items and herbs. I want to see all this. So when I try to pick up a first aid spray and the game declares me unable to carry anything more, I'll believe it. I want to be weighed down (made slower) when I lug a rocket launcher, and enjoy speed and agility (i.e. the ability to strafe) if I'm toting only a handgun.

Think about it: running away from those fucking rabid-looking African parasite-victims (I'm assuming) from the E3 trailer would be terrifying if I knew that my equipment was weighing me down, and my only recourse was to drop the grenade launcher I worked so hard to acquire.

So, yeah. If the setting for RE5 was as tightly-wound as the initial village setting in RE4 (i.e. you weave in and out of the same areas), how exciting would it be to have this sort of system?

Here's an example. You find said grenade launcher after a good time playing the game. You're happy, of course, to have a weapon that isn't a pistol, but the launcher slows you down. Of course as long as you keep your distance and move carefully, this isn't a problem. But say you get caught in the above situation, and you figure the only way to escape is buy yourself some time by lightening your load. Well shit, you think, you've lost that handy grenade launcher.

Then a bit later you're taking another pass at the same area in the village, except that one of the infected has your grenade launcher! Well, you would be mighty tempted to get that back again, wouldn't you? But knowing what happened last time, you'd have to be a bit smarter to prevent the same situation (or, like cartoon Hercules, hide your weaponry in a tree somewhere so it doesn't fall into enemy hands).

The system for this probably wouldn't even be that complicated. For this to work:

• enemies would have to be able to wield weapons that they come across;
• the game would have to keep track of persistent variables like this

It's the whole supposedly-next-gen idea of persistent, "alive" worlds, you know?

What about the rest of you? Any other ideas or hopes?
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this idea. Giving every item you have physical mass and size is one thing, but making that mass affect more than just your inventory box and actually affect your character's attributes is that next step. Giving everything multiple attributes that affect multiple other things just make the game feel right. It's a matter of consistency, I think.

I also think that adding more parkour elements would be great, especially in tandem with the item mass. Imagine being cornered on top of a building. You just unloaded your rocket launcher at the chainsaw zombie dames, but there's one following just behind. You chuck your rocket launcher to slow him and the mob down, turn around, and hope you can make the jump to the next rooftop. Your feet never plant, but you manage to grab the edge with your hands, and you pull yourself up.

I'd also really like to see QTEs integrated more tightly into the game. In the above scenario you could have the player reach their Wiimote (or SIXAXIS) into the air to grab the ledge. If you didn't do it fast enough you wouldn't get up very quickly (or you could even fall down). Or give me the ability to knock stuff over to block the zombies' path. Let me dodge more of their moves. Dynamic action would be great. Prince of Persia's "autokill" seems like it could be good here, but maybe add more risk/reward. If the setup of the autokill isn't perfect, let it only do half damage and put me in a bad position.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome, and I could see it happening. To me the point of all this crazy hardware is to remove the pointless abstractions (RE4's item merchant, attaché case) that detract from the immersion. I mean, how awkward, clumsy and plain annoying is having to heal yourself with an item from a menu screen in the middle of a firefight?

I would like to see RE5 do away with this series holdover as well. Either have an on-screen menu that lets you quickly press a button to access your healing items, and then choose the one you want (à la MGS's shoulder-button pop-up menus, but perhaps in a Gears of War-style cyclical display), or make a dedicated "heal" button. I suppose a Zelda-style bind-item-to-button system could work as well. Either way, get rid of that fucking menu screen.

I also wish for the death of the merchant; this is RE4's worst and most uncomfortable contrivance. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Having strategically placed weapons as you progress through the game (that you could grab, drop, or miss entirely) is a better way to introduce new firearms. I like how you can upgrade weapons in RE4; it adds a level of depth that really pushes home the fact that it is a shooting game, instead of an exploring game. Still, there must be a way of doing this (finding pieces/parts and then building the attachments yourself?) that isn't so out of place.

My point in general is, we have the ability to make games operate in a more believable manner. In a movie, if your protagonist just kept stumbling across important plot points via a notice stuck to a wall, we the audience would cry foul. In RE4, it's still lazy story-telling.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
That would be awesome, and I could see it happening. To me the point of all this crazy hardware is to remove the pointless abstractions (RE4's item merchant, attaché case) that detract from the immersion. I mean, how awkward, clumsy and plain annoying is having to heal yourself with an item from a menu screen in the middle of a firefight?

I would like to see RE5 do away with this series holdover as well. Either have an on-screen menu that lets you quickly press a button to access your healing items, and then choose the one you want (à la MGS's shoulder-button pop-up menus, but perhaps in a Gears of War-style cyclical display), or make a dedicated "heal" button. I suppose a Zelda-style bind-item-to-button system could work as well. Either way, get rid of that fucking menu screen.
You are much more kind than I am regarding this. I'd probably make accessing the healing items more cumbersome. Where the heck are you carrying this stuff, a bag of some kind? Replace the neatly organized inventory screen with digging through your purse in real time hwhile the action is going on around you. And if you have to get a move on quickly, you're going to have to clutch it in your off hand before you can sling it back over your shoulder (unless you've got a messenger bag).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like all those ideas. I think we're pretty much on the same page regarding what went wrong with RE4.

They should basically just make the whole thing more consistant. And more thoughtfully planned, so the experience of running around, diving through windows, panicking, running out of ammo etc. etc. that you get in the village is pretty much a constant theme. My favorite part of RE4 is the farm- just after the most intense shock-to-the-system-gunfight you've ever played through, you're rewarded with this eerily beautiful area, given a Mario 64-style subquest (find the blue coins!) and you get the dirty pearl necklace puzzle. Those opening sections are a masterpiece of pacing, and this is when you start thinking 'hey, this game could be one of the greatest games EVER'. Then it all starts to go a bit pete tong when that merchant shows up, and by the end it's lost focus completely.

I really loved the stuff where you were able to make choices that would affect later gameplay, like helping the dog or taking the left path or the right path- shooting the blue coins, and so on. I think I'd like to see a lot more of that.

Yeah, the Resident Evil movie would have been a lot more entertaining if Jill had found out all the important plot points via notes stuck to walls.
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:

I also wish for the death of the merchant; this is RE4's worst and most uncomfortable contrivance. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Having strategically placed weapons as you progress through the game (that you could grab, drop, or miss entirely) is a better way to introduce new firearms. I like how you can upgrade weapons in RE4; it adds a level of depth that really pushes home the fact that it is a shooting game, instead of an exploring game. Still, there must be a way of doing this (finding pieces/parts and then building the attachments yourself?) that isn't so out of place.

My point in general is, we have the ability to make games operate in a more believable manner. In a movie, if your protagonist just kept stumbling across important plot points via a notice stuck to a wall, we the audience would cry foul. In RE4, it's still lazy story-telling.

You'd take out the merchant? That guy (and the weapons system) were two fairly invaluable contributions to that game (the merchant is hilarious and awesome and adds so much invaluable character to the game, and arranging your shit in the attache case is basically the best thing with blocks since tetris).

You know, it's a game where you fight giant plants that merge with midgets and Saddler's human frame can contain eight GIANT spider legs. and you take about fifty fucking axes to the face while retaining your boyish good looks. There's always going to be abstraction. I like it, I enjoy a good videogame aesthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, HarveyJames, can we stop saying "lost focus"? That is a conjunction of two words that doesn't really mean anything.

While I do lament the lack of sidequests after the punisher grant, playing Wii RE4 has given me a greater appreciation for the game beyond the wooded section. An awful lot of the best stuff in the game (the Predalien sewer duel, "it", Krauser) comes far, far after it. It's like three distinct sub-genres of horror - the creepy murder in the woods low-budget flick, the surreal horror, the bioengineering nightmare. Towards the end it really builds an intense head of steam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the castle, for what it's worth, probably has the bulk of the more interesting setpieces/scenes in it. It's more of a structure thing that differentiates it from the village–whereas the first act has you tromping back and forth in sort of an organic way, the second is more segmented and videogame-y.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Please, HarveyJames, can we stop saying "lost focus"? That is a conjunction of two words that doesn't really mean anything.

It does!

To have focus: having clear understanding of the game's main themes, what makes it work, what makes it unique. What they set out to achieve when they first dreamed the game up.

To have lost focus: when they lose sight of these goals and just start shoving any old shit in regardless of how it sits with the original concept. For example, if Pacman started introducing stealable cars and images of women in the background that become more naked the more dots you eat, you'd say it had lost focus. Resident Evil 4 is really not a very focused game at all. Honest!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
For example, if Pacman started introducing stealable cars and images of women in the background that become more naked the more dots you eat...

it would be a serious contender for most awesome game of all time.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the exact thinking that lead to Capcom putting a minecart ride and a giant robot midget in their Village of the Damned game.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can do it with Qix they can do it with Pacman.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe--what are yeh bawyin'?
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
JamesE wrote:

It does!

To have focus: having clear understanding of the game's main themes, what makes it work, what makes it unique. What they set out to achieve when they first dreamed the game up.

To have lost focus: when they lose sight of these goals and just start shoving any old shit in regardless of how it sits with the original concept. For example, if Pacman started introducing stealable cars and images of women in the background that become more naked the more dots you eat, you'd say it had lost focus. Resident Evil 4 is really not a very focused game at all. Honest!

Well yes but see all of these things need qualifying and explaining and when you say "Ah ha! It's lost focus!" you're not giving me any information beyond an utterly compressed and generic buzzphrase. All of this is utterly subjective stuff that people could debate for absolutelly years anyway without getting traction on either side.

The Pac-Man game you describe sounds pretty good. So is GTA. This mythical "focus" you describe doesn't actually make a gaming experience any better. It actually sounds like a really bad use of the word - are like, the graphics blurry?

Anyway, a merchant and a backpack are two well-worn tropes of the adventure genre (of which RE4 is a substet) that work really well.

In short yeah it should be filtered to "I don't actually have much to say, sorry".
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE what is your problem

I thought my definition was pretty sound. You can see quite clearly what my problem was with the game. This is some crystal-cut shit. I'm just going to quote myself because I have so much faith that what I said was ok.

me wrote:

and

me wrote:
That's the exact thinking that lead to Capcom putting a minecart ride and a giant robot midget in their Village of the Damned game.

If you don't get all the information you need from that then you're not really trying. Further explanations will need to be sucked out of my dick.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
You'd take out the merchant? That guy (and the weapons system) were two fairly invaluable contributions to that game

The systems these two things added to the game (the stress of limited inventory, the customization and progression of weapon stats), but they were just wedged in there and it shows. These could be replaced by more natural, more elegant means.

Oh god, I'm so freaking tired, I can barely think.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

I have to admit, that while the entire castle sequence is not within what seemed like RE4 was trying to be for the longest time, that by the end it sort of comes back together.

I do agree that the game lost focus in the same sense: It seemed to be this really well thought out cohesive experience about a town and possibly a conspiracy. The town was (not) in Spain, as in a fairly “based in reality” type setting. Rather than “zombies” the game decided to try for something perhaps a bit more “realistic” (as in mutations and parasites rather than coming back to life, though neither is possible one is more plausible). Then you go to a castle with LAVA in it and walking robotic Napoleon Midget Statues. Not to mention that the story/characters go from taking themselves fairly seriously to introducing perhaps the worst character I know of in a RE game: Napoleon Midget.

While the Castle does contain a very few interesting moments, I think that the game would be cohesively better if it progressed from Village -> Island. It loses focus in the fact that it no longer seems interested in pushing its awesome concept/idea, but rather abandons it in favor of throwing as many things into the soup of RE4 as it thinks it can with out tipping over.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"

Last edited by Shapermc on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see a clear line of intent, re: "what RE4 was trying to be (and then betrays)" as opposed to "what I thought RE4 was going to be/what I wanted it to be (and then wasn't)." Which are fine sentiments, but, I guess it's the difference between saying the game isn't what you'd hope for and that the game is objectively marred in some way, which sort of irks me a bit. If the game has a biggest strength, it's probably the combat/camera system, which gets a pretty even work-out in terms of variety and difficulty curve all the way through. Stages are rooms with set-up obstacles and treasure that you clear in a very linear order. It's a bit obscure about this in the beginning, and a bit more frank in the middle (which, yeah, isn't it's best bit in terms of area-to-area cohesion, although again, I do think it has most of the best bits anyway). I understand how the atmospheric transitions could bother people (like james said, goes from swampy zombie nightmare to surreal, gothic castle to creaky biological nightmare), although I think each is pretty well contained in and of itself.

I guess the shopkeeper is a bit of an RPG item salesmen, although the only real fix for his role I can imagine would be less obvious RPG item salesmen (bartering directly with items, maybe). Treasure huntin' and gun tuning are both pretty enjoyable, and I wouldn't want to be rid of them.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I don't really see a clear line of intent, re: "what RE4 was trying to be (and then betrays)" as opposed to "what I thought RE4 was going to be/what I wanted it to be (and then wasn't)."

The line's a bit foggy, yeah. This isn't like MGS2 though were everyone thought they were going to be playing as Snake and got stuck playing Raiden. That's what "I thought" is. RE4 sets itself up for one direction and then shifts everything externally from the main character than tries to pull it back in at the end. I feel like they just got a bit carried away.

JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dark steve wrote:
I don't really see a clear line of intent, re: "what RE4 was trying to be (and then betrays)" as opposed to "what I thought RE4 was going to be/what I wanted it to be (and then wasn't)."

The line's a bit foggy, yeah. This isn't like MGS2 though were everyone thought they were going to be playing as Snake and got stuck playing Raiden. That's what "I thought" is. RE4 sets itself up for one direction and then shifts everything externally from the main character than tries to pull it back in at the end. I feel like they just got a bit carried away.

Nah, not really. I think this is the fault of the initial publicity, although the presence of a giant LOTR troll as a boss sort of tipped me off as to the direction they might take it.

FYI, that's not how most of the Spanish countryside is. Artistic license kicks in right from the very beginning, and the surreal cult elements are hinted at right from the start.

The castle is a waking, surreal nightmare and I think that's absolutely the way to go from out of the frying pan and into the fire. The village is where reality bends and the castle is where it breaks - the dress and habits of the villagers are anachronistic Japanese European. Of course, Saddler's a deceitful bastard so it makes sense that his real base has much less in the way of cult trappings.

It's hard to accuse Resident Evil of "wedging things in" when the series has always included elements that are videogamey or outright fantastical. It's very much a part of the character of the series, and there's a lot of charm inherent in that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Fulci to Argento to... who's Cronenburg but a notch below?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only won who thinks RE5 looks to be incredibly problematic, where RE4 was only sort of problematic?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly RE5 doesn't look like much of anything yet, let alone problematic.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
dark steve wrote:

Nah, not really. I think this is the fault of the initial publicity, although the presence of a giant LOTR troll as a boss sort of tipped me off as to the direction they might take it.

FYI, that's not how most of the Spanish countryside is. Artistic license kicks in right from the very beginning, and the surreal cult elements are hinted at right from the start.

The castle is a waking, surreal nightmare and I think that's absolutely the way to go from out of the frying pan and into the fire. The village is where reality bends and the castle is where it breaks - the dress and habits of the villagers are anachronistic Japanese European. Of course, Saddler's a deceitful bastard so it makes sense that his real base has much less in the way of cult trappings.

It's hard to accuse Resident Evil of "wedging things in" when the series has always included elements that are videogamey or outright fantastical. It's very much a part of the character of the series, and there's a lot of charm inherent in that.

Most likely this is a matter of taste.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I guess I just find the series' new 'slaughter poor non caucasians in the third world' slant a bit unfortunate.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha racism
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
haha racism

Hi Dracko! Perhaps you'd like to expand on your point in a larger post.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dracko, I'm going to respond on your behalf to save you the effort:

Dracko wrote:
The only "expanding point" of a "larger post" I'm prepared to give you is my dick in your mouth!
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS, HARVEY!

Killing brain/un/living dead Spaniards and Negroes is an issue that must be addressed post-haste, lest Capcom open its ever-restrictive geek borders to Aryan supremacists and South Africans.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

I guess I just find the series' new 'slaughter poor non caucasians in the third world' slant a bit unfortunate.

Hey hey, let's not get off-track, everyone. Mr Mustache's comment is perfectly legit. Care to elaborate?

I mean, is this an honest case of racism or a case of Capcom thinking, "We sort of blew up our old setting so we need a new one?" RE4 even had some attempts at political commentary (sort of), so perhaps it's not so one-sided?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEAH, FUCK.

Capcom have as much political nous and savvy as a 16-year-old japanese girl emailing me to say 'I don't want Terrorist to bomb Japan. I hope USA Bombs all the terrorists. P.S I work in a bakery now, I eat a lot of breads! Burp! \^0^/'

Seriously, that whole 'you americans can't police the world forever!' shit in RE4, coupled with the fact that they don't appear to have ever heard of someone who's heard of someone who's heard of feminism, worries me just a little bit.

Yeah, they're not afraid of relying on the base human fear of the foriegn 'other' which we all know is not a clever thing to do. Politically, RE4 was such a hodgepotch of ill-considered messages and ideas I'm willing to believe they're just genuinely naive, which is why ultimately I can ignore all the potentially offensive silliness in the games. Dead Rising was actually quite smart and had a vein of anti-american, anti-consumerist satire running through it, so who knows, maybe there's hope.

When you get down to it, the zombie genre is kind of a celebration of the beauty of the human form. We remove the humanity from humans so we're just left with the body to admire (and dismember). If you've looked at stuff like Leni Reifenstahl's amazing Africa photography you can see how there's really a case to be made for an all-black zombie game. Just... at least let us play as a black guy or something. Please! Or this game will be end up being horrific for all the wrong reasons.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, you need to play Crackdown if you want to see racism at its most blatent and niave.

Also, I don't necessacarily see it as problematic for these things because of The Serpent and the Rainbow. Harvey, you need to play Crackdown if you want to see racism at its most blatant and naïve.

Also, I don't necessarily see it as problematic for these things because of The Serpent and the Rainbow. Well, ok, I’ll expand a bit.

Basically, I think that the whole “Spanish are teh Zombies” was honestly naïve. It seemed to me that the game was more aiming for “This isn’t about Zombies in the USA,” which the “Parasites in Small Spanish Village” theme drives home. The problem is not that Capcom didn’t take things seriously, it’s that they know most gamers don’t take games seriously enough to have anyone look at it from this angle. It’s more like “we need to make this repetitive to drive the point home to gamers” not “we need to associate Spain with evil.” They’re more like Pavlov, not Hitler.

I have a feeling that RE5 is going to involve VooDoo, and to get the perfect feel for that you need to go to certain locations. Just because those locations are prominently black populations and “third world” shouldn’t mean that this is an attack on smaller places of minority. It just means that videogames aren’t mature enough to even mostly look at these things from a “pop” level (Dead Rising was not a “pop” game, where RE kind of has become).

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I really think you're making too big a deal out of all this.

And Crackdown is intended as parody.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
And Crackdown is intended as parody.

It struck me as ignorant and cliche. Good thing it doesn't hurt the game any!

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good example of how only good enough writing in the vein of GTA can carry social parody, because Crackdown winds up feeling silly and heavy-handed. The main problem as I see it is they didn't do a great job making it clear that they were trying for "social stereotypes are ridiculous and we are parodying them" versus "immigrants oh nooooooo". Parody pretty much requires decent writing to work.

As for RE5, it's a bit difficult to do anything related to the Haitian zombie legends without involving poor black people because of the obvious. That's not to say that it could be done extremely poorly and in bad taste; it could also be handled quite well.

I'd love to see more of a parkour-y element to running around in the cities. The use of buildings in RE4 was probably my favorite element in the game and is why I don't particularly like the latter two-thirds of the game, since they pretty much drop that situation entirely.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Capcom have as much political nous and savvy as a 16-year-old japanese girl emailing me to say 'I don't want Terrorist to bomb Japan. I hope USA Bombs all the terrorists. P.S I work in a bakery now, I eat a lot of breads! Burp! \^0^/'

This is also my feeling on the issue, and unlike shaper, I do not believe that ignorance and naiveté are acceptable, or even passable excuses. A large portion of the medium is, and has been, marred by an overwhelming negativity, stemming from a sense of morality influenced by anime and books about dragons, regressive politics, and general stupidity/lack of perspective.

The thing is, we can dismiss it all we want; "lol it's just parody/satire", but the near universal shit quality of said parody/satire effectively negates this perspective.

It has a cumulative effect. Resident Evil 4 was problematic, but this could be dismissed as it seemed isolated. Seeing the new trailer makes it clear that the 'pretty caucasian bringing civilization to the savage using the only method of negotiation they understand' premise is now a pronounced theme in the series.

I'm not denying that the game will most likely be well put together, scary, and fun to play, I just think that this reliance on western paranoia is a shame.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard conspiracy theory would be to assume that they're in the pocket of some body or major shareholder who tells them their corporate mission is to bring 'American values' to the rest of the world, like Michael Eisner once said of Disney. However, their first major game for an American console was Dead Rising, and that was full of anti-American satire. The storyline ends up being about some governmental cover-up over a U.S. sanctioned mass genocide in South America, and it's some kind of comment on American consumer habits and foriegn policy (the zombie virus that destroyed the town was originally designed to make cattle easier to keep and breed- "do you have any idea how much meat Americans consume in a day?" asks the professor.)

So it's not like Capcom are being manipulated from above- that's why we can only assume that the person in charge of RE4 was just genuinely naive. It's not really acceptable, but thankfully it is ignorable... the dumb cutscenes in RE4 didn't make me enjoy the game any less.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that there is any conspiracy, nor do I think that a company as large as Capcom needs any external entity to make their bad decisions for them. It's simply a product of laziness.

Black Hawk Down was a terrible and terribly racist movie.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
Black Hawk Down was a terrible and terribly racist movie.

Huh? Not only a) where did this come from, but b) how is it racist (haven't seen it in a long time, don't recall).

And, Mr. Mustache, I feel where you're coming from to an extent. I honestly think that things can sometimes become too P.C. and get a bit out of control, so I don't want it to get that way here. I mean, what harm honestly came from RE4? If you're offended by poor writing, or ignorant writers, that one thing, but I don't know what your trying to get at by saying that these games are racist. Are you saying that you think people honestly feel as though the Spanish are worse off in the public eye now because of RE4? Do you think hatians could be because of RE5? Or are you just saying that you're tired of people who aren't being candid enough in their writing?

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a pretty big question you're asking...

Bascially, no-one cares if RE4 is racist, and RE4 isn't going to make people hate spaniards just like RE5 won't make people hate blacks. The problem is more nuanced; showing dichotomies of good and evil in dominant media has the effect of 'culturally programming' people, if you want. When good is always white and bad is always black- we don't even have to be talking about races here- it makes people more malliable and receptive to the idea( that the George W. Bushes of this world like to perpetuate) that there is an 'other' who is 'evil' and that they are 'good' and that the world is divided down two lines- good people and evil people. It's a dangerous idea and the root of all intolerance.

When dominant media (games played by millions of people!) consistantly assigns 'good' to one race and bad to all the others, the effect is potentially as toxic and damaging as it is retarded. It sows the seed of prejudice and racial superiority in impressionable minds.
Isfet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Said would probably not enjoy RE4 or 5.

i just kind of wanted to throw that in there.

i'm agreeing with Harvey and Mr. Mustache. they've pretty much said anything i'd want to say, and probably more eloquently, but really, watching the RE5 trailer earlier, i couldn't help but feel that it was offensive.

though maybe i'm biased. maybe i'm taking into account all the other instances of racism towards blacks in Japan, and applying it to something where it isn't actually present. EDIT: i realize that may sound sarcastic, but it's not meant to be.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that openl;y racist expressions of glee greet the RE5 trailer on other videogame websites taints everything no matter what the intent may be.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen the new trailer and after doing so, I can appreciate more what Mr Mustache is saying. Parts of it have a definite queasy Italian-exploitation-movie vibe.

While looking for it I did find this, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCeaHIEujPM

extrabastardformula wrote:
the fact that openl;y racist expressions of glee greet the RE5 trailer on other videogame websites taints everything no matter what the intent may be.

Links? Not doubting your veracity, I just kind of want to see how bad it is, in a car crash kind of way.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I hadn't seen the new trailer and after doing so, I can appreciate more what Mr Mustache is saying. Parts of it have a definite queasy Italian-exploitation-movie vibe.

I don't get it
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

I don't get it

Which? My reaction to the second trailer or the linked video, which makes no sense whatsoever?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kill whitey
The Soviet Onion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black people in a videogame? CLEARLY SOMETHING MUST BE DONE
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw your Pokéballs at them.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

I don't get it

Which? My reaction to the second trailer or the linked video, which makes no sense whatsoever?

The video!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: