The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glorious Trainwrecks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Glorious Trainwrecks Reply with quote

Spurred on by my joyful rediscovery of The Last Eichhof in that DOS shareware thread, as well as a late-night AIM conversation with Six, I decided that the world needs more games that recapture the spirit of postcardware circa 1993. You know the era; digital sound cards are just becoming commonplace, 3D rendering is all the rage, maybe you even have access to a scanner, and you say to your buddy over a beer, "Let's make a fucking Centipede clone, with fancy-pants VGA graphics!" And your buddy goes, "Awesome! And I could scan in some pictures of myself making faces, and make it so that a digitized version of myself laughs at you when you die!" And rather than looking at what you've done the morning after and deciding the whole enterprise is a complete waste of your time, you actually spend months polishing it up and finishing it, before uploading it to your local BBS. (There really ought to be a proper genre descriptor for this.)

This is pretty much the method by which I came to set up GloriousTrainwrecks.com.

The goal of the site is basically this: I want to make ridiculous videogames with my friends. I'm not up for serious ones, right now; I end up overthinking that shit and never even starting. Right now, I'm all about underthinking.

Anyway, come join! And cajole Six into actually making Hatworld: World of Hats! Kid Chameleon proves that you can have compelling, hat-based gameplay, Six! At... at least have your character wear a propeller beanie that allows him to fly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pong kombat is great.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is! It's pretty amazing how much crap he was able to stuff into such a simple concept. I ought to do a proper write-up sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, this is awesome.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do something for this, but it's hard to be inspired to do something that's silly and feels spontaneous.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Glorious Trainwrecks Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Anyway, come join! And cajole Six into actually making Hatworld: World of Hats! Kid Chameleon proves that you can have compelling, hat-based gameplay, Six! At... at least have your character wear a propeller beanie that allows him to fly.

You've played Hatris, right?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a book on Men's Hats with all kinds of fancy photos. If you want the hilariously terrible scanned in effect I could do some! There's some really sweet hats in there.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, if Six doesn't, I do!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil May Smash TV?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I just got a book on Men's Hats with all kinds of fancy photos. If you want the hilariously terrible scanned in effect I could do some! There's some really sweet hats in there.
Oh sweet lordy yes please.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll set up some time to do it. How many do you guys want? Like the best 10 or something?

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Starting this Saturday, Glorious Trainwrecks Dot Com is hosting the Klik of the Month Klub! The rules are simple: You have two hours to beat something resembling a game into submission with the free version of Klik & Play. If you finish, everybody wins! Klik and Play is so easy to learn, and the time commitment is so minimal, that there's no reason not to join in the mayhem.

I actually did one of these once before, totally spur of the moment, and it was a smashing success. There's something very satisfying about cranking out a ridiculous game under brutal time constraints. You're pretty much constantly making design decisions on the spot, stopping to care if they're good or not only if you have time after you've implemented them. Often they're wrong (in my last game it was basically inevitable that your score would end up in the negative tens of thousands), but you learn pretty quickly. And incongruous combinations of KnP stock objects never cease to amuse.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet I could do the raddest Kung Fu clone in two hours. Or the most bloated Match 3 game ever. Maybe I can rip graphics from Snood or some shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inaugural Klik of the Month Klub starts in less than one hour! The chatroom is open for business, so come on in!
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In related news:

TIGSource B-Game Competition
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Six... I can't find the hat book. I looked for a couple hours saturday (two weeks back) and couldn't find it at all.

I am fail.

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that competition needs an entry by Team Glorious Trainwrecks Dot Com so badly.
Six

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Yes it does.

Shapermc wrote:
Also, Six... I can't find the hat book. I looked for a couple hours saturday (two weeks back) and couldn't find it at all.

I am fail.

Aww : (
Well, thanks for looking, anyway! I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: