The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shadowrun kicks ass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Shadowrun kicks ass Reply with quote

I didn't see any topics expressing how much Shadowrun kicks ass, so I thought I would post a topic about it. Feel free to post what you love about the game or why it kicks so much ass.

My favorite Shadowrun moment was on Temple Grounds Raid. I was on the Lineage Team, round 2, and had Teleport and Resurrect. The rest of my team was dead and cleared and all I had was a pistol. I had been shooting a few people and was focusing on a Troll. He retreated to Final Stairs. I was down to my last three bullets. I said to my team, "I've got three bullets left, I'm gonna get this guy". I proceeded to waste the bullets into the ground, ran up to the Troll (who had popped a Tree) and proceeded to beat him to death with my empty pistol. I picked up his Sniper Rifle, ran to the Artifact and moved it off its spawn so I got more time. I teleported, turned, quick-scoped and sniped a troll. Then I got triple teamed and had to run away and we lost the round. The end.

Anyone else have fun SR stories?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love Grenade shenanigans. Like when you throw one into a crowd, but four other people have already done so and it blows your grenade back at your own party and kills that elf that just turned a corner and it says you betrayed him. I mean, when you're that elf its frustrating, but yeah, hilarious stuff sometimes.

Also, Pac, I don't think anyone else here plays SR Sad

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that we don't want to, it's just that we aren't very interested. But whatever makes you happy.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty cheap now. That aside, it's going to get pretty barren in the game soon because of Halo 3 then shortly after with Orange Box (and Team Fortress 2). I'm pretty sure I'll stick around Shadowrun unless TF2 is exceptionally well balanced for use with a controller.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowrun got some serious kudos in the latest PC Gamer podcast. Is it still Vista-only? If so, that's a shame since an XP release might keep the community going for a bit longer.

Also, FASA officially shut down.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Is it still Vista-only? If so, that's a shame since an XP release might keep the community going for a bit longer.

Well, there's an unofficial patch to play the game on XP but, like, you can't play it on line. Honestly, most of the problems with this game are the result of MS pushing them to meet a deadline and use features (Cross-platform with Windoze live) that took a lot of time to balance and implement. The game is perfectly balanced right now with everything having advantages and disadvantages that a smart player will be able to take advantage of or stay away from. The problems are what the game's lacking, and honestly it's a pretty big problem since there's never going to be a sequel or DLC from this point on. Its a shame that such talent and time was wasted on something that MS wasn't going to support beyond the quick grab for cash.

Oh well!

Also, Ryan, you got a link to that podcast?

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Here you go. It's brought up during their conversation about FASA closing down.
djpac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even without FASA, it's still a great game for the 360. Goldeneye and Halo never got patched and they did fine.

This game basically takes the old school awesomeness of Halo, adds some new school Halo 2 awesomeness, removes all sense of Halo 2 sucking and then adds in like tons of more cool stuff.

First of all, and I can't stress this enough, it takes skill to shoot. Remember how every idiot and their mother had a sick BR in Halo 2, because there was so much auto-aim and magnetism? Well, Shadowrun took that out. If you run up to Shaper and hold down your trigger, Shaper will wreck you. True story.

Remember how power weapons were so easy to use it was ridiculous? Rockets were practically unstoppable, the Sword was the epitome of easy and Sniping was a joke. Shadowrun takes that out and puts the skill back in them. Rockets make you mad slow, travel slowly, reload slowly and are difficult to use. The Sniper is ridiculously hard to use - headshots take so much skill it's amazing.

Remember how the buying system in Counter-Strike works? Shadowrun has it.

Remember Halo, where there were llike 20 great levels and they were all great and stuff? It's the same way on Shadowrun.

Then, throw in Magic, Tech and Races and you can play literally 100 games and never have the same build twice. There is so much depth and so many different ways to play the game that everything is constantly being innovated and rethought.

If you have a 360 or Vista, get the game and try it for a week. Send me a FR (dj pac) or send one to Shaper. This is the best game since the original Halo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: