The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge's top 100 games list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shabadage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

dmauro wrote:
]Also, I don't know if these guys have been away from gaming for too long, but Goldeneye 007 sucks now. It has aged terribly. Yeah we all loved it years ago, but take it off the list or give it a courtesy slot closer to 100.

Seconded. It took a long time for Halo to come along and do Goldeneye's multiplayer better than Goldeneye did, but it happened and now it seems baffling that we ever put up with it. Likewise I loved playing the mission mode at the time, but the bad points really eclipse the good now.

Guys, don't you remember the last time we talked about this? Yeah, it hasn't aged well technically, but it brought about twenty thousand things to the FPS table, and it deserves recognition. Hell, if it was updated to todays standards (with improved graphics, updated AI, a way better engine and what have you) it would still be more fun than 90% of the FPS games that have come out in the past 5 years.

Maybe it brought 20 new things to CONSOLE FPS's. At the time Goldeneye came out, I was playing Team Fortress Classic (Just called Team Fortress at that point). TFC romps on Goldeneye in just about every category and it beat it out by like 2 months.

The only good thing to come out of Goldeneye was Timepsplitters. And yes, I'm including Perfect Dark in that statement.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Team Fortress is balls all like Goldeneye. That's like comparing a shoe to a dishwasher.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shabadage wrote:

Maybe it brought 20 new things to CONSOLE FPS's. At the time Goldeneye came out, I was playing Team Fortress Classic (Just called Team Fortress at that point). TFC romps on Goldeneye in just about every category and it beat it out by like 2 months.

You're an idiot. Welcome to the forums!

Anyway, I agree Vice City was a nice medium between the raw minimalism of GTA3 and the bloated mess of San Andreas (although, I like both), but as mentioned, the city design was just so boring, making the game my least favourite. Not many missions really stood out, too.

Back on Goldeneye vs Perfect Dark, I felt the single-player design was weaker in Perfect Dark, mainly the level design. It felt like it was trying to emulate Goldeneye too much, even though the GE team weren't even at Rare anymore. The multiplayer, while having lots more stuff to screw aroudn with for good times, was much less refined than in GE, which is a big thing for me. I know some poeple like games that are just like fast times at ridgemont high but I'm a big refinement junkie.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Shabadage wrote:

ey. don't be a jerk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
The multiplayer, while having lots more stuff to screw around with for good times, was much less refined than in GE, which is a big thing for me. I know some poeple like games that are just like fast times at ridgemont high but I'm a big refinement junkie.

I really have no idea what any of that means.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Perfect Dark has some ridiculous weapons (like that one that can shoot through walls) that made the game unbalanced and not suited for serious play. It was great with drunk friends, but if we wanted to get serious, we played GE.

And I'm a serious man.

Last edited by Cycle on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Shabadage wrote:

ey. don't be a jerk.

He started it. Listen to that tone! He was being totally rude, ok.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair, he didn't know you all married goldeneye in a polyamorous communal handfasting sometime back in '98.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't getting a christmas card this year.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you mean solstice card?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not getting either :P
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i've always thought cards were overblown. especially those joints where they have the family dog wearing a holiday-contextual sweater.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By publicly Top XX Lists, we are in some ways promoting, or at least advertising, their existence. It is a hard thing to do, but sometimes I must pretend that Top XX Lists - video game or otherwise - aren't there.

holiday-contextual sweater
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to them! They provoke discussion and that's never a bad thing.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well okay then.

holiday-contextual sweater.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys I bought Goldeneye last night because of this thread.

I was at my local used bookstore that has no idea how to price videogames, and it was $7. At first I was like, "Man, $7?" because $7 is about as expensive as they price N64 games, but then I realized that I'd paid $7 for Earthworm Jim 3D, and clearly Goldeneye deserves my $7 much more than THAT piece of shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Six

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Earthworm Jim 3D

I almost picked that up last week, but then I saw that they wanted twenty bucks for it. I'm not that curious.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's terrible. It's on gametap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the first thirty entries in bob fearon's response to edge's list (which solicited votes from the indie and remakes communities) have been posted. i'm not sure i agree that another top one hundred list is a valuable response to a top one hundred list, but this one's a lot more interesting than edge's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Top 100 lists: I used to be unduly fascinated by these. I think it started with EGM's 1997 "Top 100" list which had very good formula for entry:
"The Game", one or two line summary
"It made the list because"
"Coolest part"
"Did you know"/"Remember when"/"Wasn't it funny how", trivia/tidbit

The argumentative fanboy in me got curious about what system and years had the best representation in the top 100 games, so I typed in all the data and wrote a little script, output tables here:

http://kisrael.com/vgames/powerlist/egm100.html

When they came out with a new list in 2002, something deep in my geekbrain got triggered, and I wanted to see how games faired over time:

http://kisrael.com/vgames/powerlist/egm100.2002.html

I found it interesting how Ms. Pac-Man climbed from 89 to 41,
Final Fantasy plummeted from 21 to 91, and how Soul Calibur was, by process of elimination, the "best" game released between 1997 and 2002.

I finally went totally nuts, then, and put Game Informer's 2001 list and IGN's 2003 and 2005 list. I think the hardest part was normalizing the lists so they all used the same name for the same game.

http://kisrael.com/vgames/powerlist/

(I probably should have abstracted that further, calling Tetris Attack the same thing as Pokemon Puzzle League for purposes of ranking.)

Last edited by kirkjerk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we all have our particular gripes and games we'll always champion:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
There are just some freaking weird entries in that list, too. I mean, for example I love Puyo Puyo Fever, but I'm not sure I'd ever place it at number 48.

The list is broken, simply because Puyo Pop < Panel de Pon

If you're praising "strong multiplayer gameplay", you have to admit that garbage blocks that be used to make retribution is superior to garbage blocks that just need to be cleared away.

dhex wrote:
i was not that impressed by shadow of the colossus. the presentation was great. the graphics were beautiful. the animation sublime. but the puzzle aspects of the game, while laddering up (is that even a term?) from each encounter started to feel kinda generic after a while.

I agree with this sentiment, though my main complaint was the difficulty; after Ico, which was clean and minimal, having this complicated control scheme and "look at the artsy saturated graphics to guess at the handholds" just didn't work for me.

Cycle wrote:
Anyway, I agree Vice City was a nice medium between the raw minimalism of GTA3 and the bloated mess of San Andreas (although, I like both), but as mentioned, the city design was just so boring, making the game my least favourite. Not many missions really stood out, too.

My first GTA and so a nostalgic favorite, and I think hit a better note art wise. And that mission where you go blow up the mall starbucks and then have to escape a very high wanted level (which I hadn't done much playing with to that point) really sticks out. I couldn't beat it at first w/o setting up a helicopter to escape with, but as I got better I had more fun coming back to (GTAs really need mission selects for things you've cleared, esp. because the save games only show you what you just beat, not what missions are available.)

In terms of the city... wasn't this without a full city map? I kind of welcomed the simplicity of the layout, hotel and rich beach stuff in the southeast mall in the northeast. mansion and golf and studio in the middle, downtown up northwest, ethnic neighborhoods , airport, and docks below that.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, a 3DO game made the list in 1997?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the second third-or-so of the remakes 100 have been posted. it's pretty ludicrous how much better this list is, even if question the value of ranking games like this in general. for shame, edge. for shame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the top ten.

it's pretty interesting the ways in which edge's and remakes's lists overlap and completely diverge.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

half of that top ten is shit!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. the half that overlaps edge's!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye.. yes!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square, redundant FPS and RTS mentions, Nintendo, oldschool and mainstream indie cred.

Yeah, screw top 10 lists.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so derek yu's compiled a list of 50 indie games. it's an unranked list - not a "top 50 indie games" but rather an attempt to maybe provide a starting point for someone interested in independent games by providing a diverse list of games along with brief descriptions of what's notable about them.

i was happy to see the inclusion of adam cadre's varicella, emily short's galatea, crawl, and nikujin. the shivah's there too.

i appreciate this more than any attempt to rank games, as though all games could be measured on the same scale. what would even be the point of ranking independent games other than to be divisive? by the way, tim w's cage match series is the dumbest fucking thing in the world. i am saying that here because i know he lurks on this forum sometimes. tim, i am challenging you to take responsibility and stop running these stupid things. if you truly love independent gaming, you will realize that what i say is true and do what is appropriate. i believe you have it within you to do this thing.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so derek yu's compiled a list of 50 indie games. it's an unranked list - not a "top 50 indie games" but rather an attempt to maybe provide a starting point for someone interested in independent games by providing a diverse list of games along with brief descriptions of what's notable about them.

While I completely agree with the concept, in order to make this truly unranked it needed to be in alphabetical order. While the game's aren't really ranked per say, they are biased by their order placement (intentional or not).

I've been tossing around the idea of making a TGQ sideproject of 100 Great Games (or less) with essays on each game (2000word max limit). Not the best games, not the biggest money makers, not justification of personal grudges, honestly great games. It would be a daunting task but I would love to put it together one day, self publish it, then attempt to get it published of sorts. The book would be organized alphabetically too.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and the top ten.

it's pretty interesting the ways in which edge's and remakes's lists overlap and completely diverge.

Why does everyone gush over Elite? I found it too confusing and gave up immediately. Lately I've started to follow the Tim Rogers rule of game evaluation.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:
Why does everyone gush over Elite? I found it too confusing and gave up immediately. Lately I've started to follow the Tim Rogers rule of game evaluation.

Well, 2/3 of Elite was a brilliant tech demo; the 3D spaceships, the nifty little radar, and the best use of a random number generator seed since "River Raid". It was also a decent little game, and the ability to choose a piracy or trading route, or some combination, was pretty cool.

"Privateer" probably did everything it did but better, but at the time is was astounding.

Too confusing? What version did you try?

And is there a link for the Tim Rogers rule?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:
Why does everyone gush over elite beat agents?

seriously.

i think what's probably most exciting about elite is its totally freelance play. you dictate your own style of play in a vast and uncompromising game world. which is probably the root of your confusion. it's pretty emblematic of that model of game design, probably because of the time it was released.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:

seriously.

i think what's probably most exciting about elite is its totally freelance play. you dictate your own style of play in a vast and uncompromising game world. which is probably the root of your confusion. it's pretty emblematic of that model of game design, probably because of the time it was released.

That said, is it all that flexible?

The world was certainly uncompromising, and it took study to find a good trading route. But you could either trade or pirate... actually I think Pirateing was tough to pull off. At least for the first part of the game I think the main strategies were trade or "bounty hunt" by warping to a pirate world and getting attacked by slow endless waves of bad guys.

But it was fun leveling up the ship, the combat was decent too.

From a geeks point of view, reading how every ship was concave to make the hidden line removal easy was kind of neat.

The game could have used a lot more special and semi-unique stuff, I guess later versions added that a bit.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:

Well, 2/3 of Elite was a brilliant tech demo; the 3D spaceships, the nifty little radar, and the best use of a random number generator seed since "River Raid". It was also a decent little game, and the ability to choose a piracy or trading route, or some combination, was pretty cool.

"Privateer" probably did everything it did but better, but at the time is was astounding.

Too confusing? What version did you try?

And is there a link for the Tim Rogers rule?

The Tim Rogers rule is actually the only forum post Tim has ever made that I actually liked (sorry). It was something like "if a game doesn't have GUNSHOT or a PUNCH IN THE FACE within the first five seconds I throw my controller at the television and scream at the top of my lungs until I faint." Extreme, yes, but I think a game needs to have a solid beginning hook that catches you right away. Doesn't always happen, but it's nice, generally. In Planescape, it's waking up in a room full of bloody corpses while putrid zombies shamble around; the first thing you do in the game is kill one of them without any negative repercussions. In X-Com, you chase a UFO around and shoot it down, and then a bunch of aliens murder you and a bunch of civilians. In Elite, I tried to figure out how to land on a planet without smashing into it. That sound pretty fun on paper, actually.
Crazy Bacon Lips

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to play Frontier and Privateer. They both seemed pretty cool. Again, I couldn't figure out how to go anywhere.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a good general rule of game design is to make sure the player is given a goal at the beginning of the game. it doesn't have to be the ultimate goal, but it does need to give the player some sort of direction. the simplest effective example i can think of is super mario bros.: mario starts on the left side of the screen, facing right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "landing the ship" thing makes me think of Lunar Lander. Initially I thought it was the most boring game ever because duh, edutainment and NOBODY GETS SHOT.

Once I got past the initial disconnect, it became one of my favorite games.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think a good general rule of game design is to make sure the player is given a goal at the beginning of the game.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Crazy Bacon Lips wrote:

seriously.

Because it's a gas gas gas.

Among other reasons.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently this 100 games thingy isn't just a list on Next-Gen. It's a book! A magazineesque book! And I bought it over the weekend for $12.50. Not too shabby. Unlike the list on Next-Gen, which gets many of the descriptions wrong, the book actually goes into swell detail about why these games are noteworthy. Not too shabby. A lot of these decisions kind of make sense after reading it. Their Resident Evil 4 writeup, for example, explains how it's great because it celebrates the fact that it's a game. It almost sounds like something you'd read about here. Good shizzle for rizzle my nizzle.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Good shizzle for rizzle my nizzle.

huh?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

huh?

Actually, which 100 are we talking about?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

huh?

Actually, which 100 are we talking about?

They made a book out of this list (or possibly a list out of this book) (and it has amazing pixel-art cover art).

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a special edition of Edge magazine. They do quite a lot of them. I've heard their Retro collections are really good.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get them in the USA?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty hit or miss. Barnes and Nobles and Borders will often have them, so if you're in an area that has a few, you could call around.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Borders in the middle of St. Louis has it right there on the Magazine rack (next to a few other odd Euro-magazines), but most don't. It just depends on the area I think.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work a block from the Boston Backbay Borders.
So it's in the euro section of magazines, not with other gamer magazines or something?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found them at five different Borderses in Georgia and one in Philadelphia. They are with the videogame magazines. So are their retro collections, called File.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: