The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chobits ... no, not what you think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Chobits ... no, not what you think Reply with quote

I swear to god this entry is not about Chobits.

I recently watched the anime series Chobits. I really don't think that the show took itself seriously enough and had to much philosophy and deeper meanings than it should have for the kind of crude humor it had at times (don't let me fool you, I laughed at the crude humor). Chobits even has a joke about itself in the first (or possibly second) episode. So let me just sum this up really quickly.

Persicoms are human shaped and acting Personal Computers. Chobits are an urban legend saying that they were programmed with human emotions and can love. The series is really about peoples relationships with other humans and the emotions that we can have for inanimate and cold objects. Profound at times really, but mostly just tounge-in-cheek.

So there, you are now caught up.

So here we are in 200X and we have people falling in love with other people at eHarmony, dating simulation programs, and suicides over the loss of Everquest characters.

Originally I wanted to make a topic about the elderly living better with the aid of Primo Puel (originally spotted by Ludology) . I never did as you can see. But gamegirladvance made an interesting connection.

gamegirladvance wrote:
"We've all heard that pets help the aged live longer, more fulfilling lives...well, it seems that even fake pets help. As long as our emotions are real, it doesn't seem to matter."

Ever since Blade Runner we have wondered if Deckard was a replicant in love with another, or if he was human and fell in love with a replicant. Here we are now: people spurting out emotions towards dogs that they can touch and interact with. That is right, this is about Nintendogs. Well if you followed the above link you may have guessed that by now.

Has the tomagotchi formula cranked up with an added heart string brought us closer to dreaming of electric sheep? Even CHAZ from IC has something to say in this regard:

Quote:
The important information exchanged here isn't the action in itself, it's emotional. Of course it can be considered fake as the pet is not real unlike an actual dog (although there's a debate to have about this), but it's really just about that : giving love to 0s and 1s, and receiving their affection in return. It's quite interesting and -I concede- pathetic. But I don't know, I like the artificial emotional interaction going on. It doesn't make me feel better, it's just fascinating, somehow.

So how much longer until we get to the point of people trying to marry electronics? When will there be protests of people walking down time square asking for equal rights? Although it may sound a bit silly, it is not unrealistic. I don't really think that we will ever get to the point of seeing it legal or equal rights, but there will be movements. Why?

Because of Nintendogs.

This is hitting on something else here really. I hope it sparks some interest or discussion.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentience is the key. i don't think we're very close to that yet, electronically.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
sentience is the key. i don't think we're very close to that yet, electronically.

Yes, that would be the word. Damn my average vocabulary.

Anyways, I don't think we are almost there electronically, I think that people are getting closer to giving their feelings and emotions to them though. I also don't doubt that were I to live to a ripe old age that I would see things like that.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not going to lie; i have a totally fucking great vocabulary.

people project all sorts of shit, though. my sister is a vet to be, and as much as she loves animals she hates people who masquerade as pet psychologists. my laisse-faire attitude doesn't fly in the family; the idea that people are being deluded and paying for it, to no real harm, upsets her greatly.

i have to admit that i am completely fucking grossed out - on a spiritual level - by nintendogs and all that stuff. i think it's fucking scary, in a comicon, fat chicks in chainmail sort of way. i have no urge to stop others, of course [standard libertoid cultural critique disclaimer] and have no doubt people find many interesting things in this interactivity, but it makes me want to pull a vegan organic farmstore co-op anarcho-lesbian snit-fit about how consumer distractions prevent people from making meaningful real world connections.

and don't even get me started on dating sims. zog fucking help us all. "aggressively virginal" is about as mild a framework i can create in regards to this crazy shit.

but again, i am a picky nerd, who prefers his dorking to be obscure, obscene, political or elitist.

here's question, related to all of the above, has anyone ever written a good cultural anthro book on how japanese society went from being a feudal war machine to outputting some of the weirdest fucking shit this side of r. crumb?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold, unfeeling algorithms irrationally evoking emotion in humans is what videogames are all about. Nintendogs is just up front about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
here's question, related to all of the above, has anyone ever written a good cultural anthro book on how japanese society went from being a feudal war machine to outputting some of the weirdest fucking shit this side of r. crumb?

Not that I know of, but did you see this: http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

Anyways, if you find something else let me know.

ApM: Nintendogs is not only upfront about it, I think it does more than even it knows it does.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have. i spent a whole friday evening after class reading it from like, 11 to 1:30 in the morning. i was fucking blown away.

i mean, i knew, from FF7 and all my filipino relatives that the japanese were racists, but this shit is fucking crazy.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
and don't even get me started on dating sims. zog fucking help us all. "aggressively virginal" is about as mild a framework i can create in regards to this crazy shit.

The thing that people who don't play dating sims doesn't understand about dating sims is that they're not about pretending to be on a date with a virtual person, they're more about telling an interesting story surrounding the topic of dating. Think of them as the video game version of a teen drama, only with more dating and less people getting thrown in a pool. Of course, I say this as someone who doesn't play dating sims, but loves the hell out of Sakura Diaries.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to say that The OC is hella postmodern. Discuss.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm also going to take this opportunity to say that The OC is hella postmodern.

Was that you who said that to me then tried to convince me to watch it? I think it was, I was trying to remember who. Anyways, I tried to once... turnr it off after the second comercial break hit. Horrible.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also evidence that postmodernity does not equal greatness.

But I love it.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing that people who don't play dating sims doesn't understand about dating sims is that they're not about pretending to be on a date with a virtual person, they're more about telling an interesting story surrounding the topic of dating.

so i should change "aggressively virginal" to "trapped in a 12 year old girl's body?"

i'm not quite sure why it raises such hostility in me.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Dating Sims aren't any less weird or creepy in my book than harem anime's like Love Hina. Which, well, yeah, those are pretty weird and creepy themselves, but, well.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's part of why i know virtually nothing about comics, japanese or otherwise.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Yeah. Dating Sims aren't any less weird or creepy in my book than harem anime's like Love Hina. Which, well, yeah, those are pretty weird and creepy themselves, but, well.

Do you think Monster Rancher or Pokemon is weird? Those games are based on cock-fighting and slavery!

t00ps, have you played a Tokimeki game? Or a really tame H-game like Love Potion?
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played more H-games than I'd like to admit.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Like the stat-raising one? Based on the dating sims but with more nudity and sex?

It's like Leisure Suit Larry compared to Day of the Tentacle.

SuperWes wrote:
The thing that people who don't play dating sims doesn't understand about dating sims is that they're not about pretending to be on a date with a virtual person, they're more about telling an interesting story surrounding the topic of dating. Think of them as the video game version of a teen drama, only with more dating and less people getting thrown in a pool.

The reason you won't see dating sims translated for the states is because for a most part they're a fucking joke. Japanese men have little to no idea what to do how how to treat their ladies. Japanese middle schoolers even less so, probably because their first kiss was from Shiori.

The term "dating sim" inspires thoughts of going to a movie or having dinner. Where as the actual games are more a middle school RPG. At least I hope it's a middle school setting. The high school ones have those racy holding-hands scenes. Too much! Too much!!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Like the stat-raising one? Based on the dating sims but with more nudity and sex?

It's like Leisure Suit Larry compared to Day of the Tentacle.

True Love, I think. Yeah, that was a good one.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
The term "dating sim" inspires thoughts of going to a movie or having dinner. Where as the actual games are more a middle school RPG. At least I hope it's a middle school setting. The high school ones have those racy holding-hands scenes. Too much! Too much!!

What about the other term: Visual Novel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
What about the other term: Visual Novel?

Too brainy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: