The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The coolest shit ever (PS3 EyeToy/Eye of Judgement)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: The coolest shit ever (PS3 EyeToy/Eye of Judgement) Reply with quote

Watch this video.

Holy crap. Eye of Judgement is going to be the coolest freaking crap in the history of the universe. I'm going to become a Magic Card totin' fool.

PS3 - $600
Playstation Eye - $50
Eye of Judgement game - $60
Eye of Judgement playing cards - $5 a pack (presumably)
Playing real life Star Wars Chess - Priceless

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know.... maybe it is because I am currently playing Metal Gear: ACiD on my PSP but I don't know if the price is worth it. Like, sure it is a cool idea and all that... but it stinks of a marketing cash grab.

Just like people complain about paying for additional content in every other game (ie. Oblivion), I can't fathom paying for the cards to play the game, on top of all the other costs involved. Especially when, with games like ACiD, everything is included if you spend enough time with game play-throughs.

I can definitely see why some people might get excited, but the poor student in me definitely quenches that feeling.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This showed a lot of potential from basically the same video back when it was shown at E3'06. I'm not seeing anything new other than a name for the game. Still looks pretty interesting, though I want to know how much that hideous camera holder is.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's what I'm thinking.

You put a static card on a mat... so you can look at it something animated, dynamic and completely different it generates on a TV screen.

Here's my simpler solution: Make the whole game electronic and not so freaking gimmicky.

This is about as unlike real-life Star Wars Chess as you could possibly get. Maybe it'll be fun, I dunno. But my lost deck of Pokemon cards is rolling in its grave right about now.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is the future, and the first gimmick I've been excited for in a video game for a LONG, long time.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
So, here's what I'm thinking.

You put a static card on a mat... so you can look at it something animated, dynamic and completely different it generates on a TV screen.

Here's my simpler solution: Make the whole game electronic and not so freaking gimmicky.

Interesting. I've heard the argument that there's no reason to play electronic card games because it takes the whole point out of playing cards. That's a good argument, except whenever I play one of those collectible card games or miniature character games I'm always longing for something to verify that what I'm doing is right. They've always got an enormous instruction book that I can never totally understand even after reading through it multiple times, and then on top of that they've got entire cards whose sole purpose is to break any individual rule in the instruction book. If two people played Magic without any other competition around they could easily play it wrong for years without ever knowing any better. It just irks me.

Because of this, I've only ever gotten into the digital versions of card games. I played through Capcom vs. SNK Card Fighters, I beat Metal Gear Ac!d, I even kicked the ass out of the Game Boy Color Pokemon Card game. Where many people say, "aww man, not another game with a card motif, I think "Hell yeah mofo!" If something's got cards in it there's a good chance I'd like it. I see Eye of Judgement as kind of a mix between the two, and I couldn't be more excited.

Faithless wrote:
No, this is the future, and the first gimmick I've been excited for in a video game for a LONG, long time.

Hell yeah mofo!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. There's a lot of really cool-sounding games being announced for the PS3 lately.

Since we're on the topic of card games, I'd like to point out Sangokushi Taisen, a trading-card RTS arcade game set in the Three Kingdoms era. It's got quite a dedicated following in Japanese arcades, as well as in Singapore and I'm guessing Hong Kong and Taiwan too, and yet seems to be remarkably unknown in the English-speaking world. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm told by friends that it is highly addictive and involves quite a bit of strategy (or rather, tactics) to play. From all that I've heard of it, it's really not as gimmicky as you might think. While it is effectively an RTS-lite game that *could* well be totally digital, the ownership that comes of having your very own personalized army, with general cards that can be upgraded (I guess the cards store some electronic information, or something) as the characters gain experience, is pretty damn compelling.

There's a DS version out that you guys might want to check out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: