The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone seen Little Children?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Has anyone seen Little Children? Reply with quote

I saw it last night and I want to talk about it. It's fascinating, if inconsistent. It is the only Todd Field film I have ever seen.

If no one else has seen it, I'm just going to write about it here by myself tonight or tomorrow.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i saw it over the weekend.

..definitely inconsistent. it must work better as a novel, i think, but hey, not bad.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of it were uncannily effective. The stampede to get out of the swimming pool and the subsequent stampede back in was almost frightening. Check that. It was frightening. And somehow the NFL films parody worked wonderfully.

The book club discussion about Madame Bovary was pretty worthless, though, and I hated the note that the film ended on. I sort of wish the tone was a constant uncomfortable simmer instead of coming to a boil.

How did you feel about Ronnie McCorvey?
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in the theater back in January. Easily my second favorite movie relesed in 2006. Todd Field rules, if you have not seen "In the Bedroom", see it, its amazing as well. I would say I prefer Little Children, but In the Bedroom is nearly its equal.

Is Ronnie McCovery the dude who played the pedophile / bad boy dude in Bad News Bears? If so, he was awesome. Deserved his Oscar Nod. He just seemed so genuine as a pedophile, which really is not a compliment I would imagine anyone would want.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie McCorvey isn't the actor playing the pedophile, he is the pedophile. I don't know what the actor's name was. I'm still not sure how I felt about the character. On the one hand, he was genuine, and we learned enough about him that he didn't fit into any one trap of an interpretation (e.g. evil or sympathetically misunderstood). On the other, there was something unpleasantly Freudian surrounding him--loving mother who treats him like little boy, him thinking of himself as a child. When he smashed the collection of clocks and figurines of gnomes and boy-children after his mother died (perhaps the most heavy-handed moment of the film, for better or worse. I think worse) it was evident that we're supposed to understand his pedophilia as a product of his being stuck in a pre-pubescent stage of mental development. The ending, of course, which had been foreshadowed in the dialogue ever since the opening scene of the movie, only cements that psychoanalytic interpretation. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I don't like to think of psychoanalysis as a hard-and-fast template for anyone's behavior, which seems to be how this film treats it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: