The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official New Games Reactions Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Official New Games Reactions Thread Reply with quote

Post here when you want to spout off about something you've read about somewhere randomly!

I'll start: Dragon Quest IX: does anyone else think the admission of classic turn-based battles is cheap pandering to an initial audience reaction? I wanted to play this, but I'm just so sick of turn-based battles that I've lost all interest beyond the pretty visuals.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking JRPGs, man. Just when they say they're going to do something even semi-awesome, they go right back to that.

I mean, we could have had a cel-shaded, online-enabled Secret of Mana.

I kind want to check out FFXII, though.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Twilight Princess also cheap pandering due to audience reaction to Wind Waker?

I'm more sour that FFXIII isn't going to build on what FFXII did. Then again this is Square-Enix we're talking about here. They do nothing, but disappoint nowadays.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn based isn't the worst thing an rpg can do.

waste your fucking time, now that's the worst thing it can do. jrpgs eat time like a hungry caterpillar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros, how is FFXIII not going to build off of XII? I heard that it's going to have real-time combat and all the stuff that was introduced in XII.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Dhex. Still, playing a multiplayer RPG and... selecting menus doesn't seem like a thrilling promise.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
I heard that it's going to have real-time combat and all the stuff that was introduced in XII.

It is? I heard the total opposite!

I must've heard wrong then!

This does mean I may look at it when it's released!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about Dewy's Adventure for the Wii. Dewy, a drop of water, supposedly has all his abilities from the start. I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

You roll Dewy around his cute-sy world as if it were Kororinpa. If Dewy raises the temperature, he turns to vapor. As vapor, Dewy can't be attacked, but he also doesn't move any more when you tilt the board, and is rather subject to whatever the air does to him. You can also lower the temperature, and Dewy turns into a block of ice. I am not sure what the advantage of this form is, but I assume there is one. When you are a block of ice, though, movement is very tricky. You slip and slide and whatnot, and edges become very real dangers.

I think what made me most excited about this was that I saw a clip of a boss fight against a frog. Dewy has to turn to vapor to avoid the frog's tongue attack, then quickly make it cold so that the frog's outstretched tongue gets stuck on some ice (brilliant!) before you take advantage and clobber him.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, playing a multiplayer RPG and... selecting menus doesn't seem like a thrilling promise.

i don't think tgq has ever had the "what is an rpg" blowout thread, and we probably shouldn't start now.

what totally sucks, btw, is that while i was jazzed about any hassan i sabbah connection in a game, it looks like assassin's creed is going to take the fuckball puss way out and make all of your historical assassinations (or simulations or whatever the BIG TWIST is going to be) members of a european crusader party rather than sunni caliphate types, who were their general targets. (a few westerners were assassinated or attempted upon, but we're talking a tiny little bit)

boo!
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official New Games Reactions Thread Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I wanted to play this, but I'm just so sick of turn-based battles that I've lost all interest beyond the pretty visuals.

I had the same reaction, but not necessarily for the same reasons. I'm not happy because their inspiration seems to come from fan reaction, but other than that I don't really have a problem with it. I'm not convinced that pressing a button is inherently superior to selecting from a menu. Action-RPGs are getting pretty boring to me lately too, and I'd almost rather have either menus or whatever it is Final Fantasy XII does instead. Removing the menus makes me much less likely to use anything other than physical attacks and healing spells, and I'd rather have a game that makes me think about what I'm going to do next than one that's just about pressing buttons.

And as much as I feel you on the multiplayer menu selection, I also kinda feel like the friend code system on the DS makes it so that the game might as well not be online at all. I'm playing Pokemon right now, and the only way you can really ever play with someone online is by logging in, selecting what you'd want to do online, and then sitting around staring at your screen until one of your friends happens to log in. Without having a constantly updating friends list it's pretty much worthless.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying Wes, but... yeah. The dream is dead, man, the dream is dead.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what totally sucks, btw, is that while i was jazzed about any hassan i sabbah connection in a game, it looks like assassin's creed is going to take the fuckball puss way out and make all of your historical assassinations (or simulations or whatever the BIG TWIST is going to be) members of a european crusader party rather than sunni caliphate types, who were their general targets. (a few westerners were assassinated or attempted upon, but we're talking a tiny little bit)

boo!

I kind of think you're upset about this just because you won't get to see the reactions to it. I kind of think that is awesome.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i'm one of those dicks who thinks historical accuracy is important and it fucking pisses me off when someone takes something which is so easily framed or even coherently fictionalized and swaps stuff out for no reason. i mean, does anyone care if you're assassinating orthodox sunni religious figures from ONE THOUSAND YEARS AGO?

the reaction, i mean, whatever. people are fucking idiots, five minutes of book learning would straighten things out because the whole landscape of the muslim world in the 11th and 12 centuries is fairly straightforward despite all the inter sectarian schismaticisms and all. people would be like "oh, huh, that's pretty fucking neat" and totally understand why sabbah was so fetishized as a figure of remote power and beauty by so many countercultural types (i hate that term but you know what i mean) and gain some appreciation for the real story, or at least what we know of it today.

i mean, if you wanted reaction, well, you'd make two games:

1) "Mamluk" - you play as a member of this caste (forcibly converted slave-soldiers who eventually became a power unto themselves) in northern india who decides to go AWOL and fight the delhi sultanate. probably rpg-based, maybe srpg. game ends with you being cruicified or immolated in some horrible fashion.

2) "Palestina" - you play a switched up rpg/fps game as a 12 year old kid growing up in the territories. checkpoints, poverty, idf raids, maybe even a relative arrested. try to walk the balancing act between what your family wants for you and what your local strongmen expect. culiminates in your suicide bombing of a cafe two game years after you start.

at least you know for sure no one would be happy with that!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
elvis.shrugged wrote:
I heard that it's going to have real-time combat and all the stuff that was introduced in XII.

It is? I heard the total opposite!

I must've heard wrong then!

This does mean I may look at it when it's released!

According to Wikipedia:

"From the footage shown at Eł, battles in the game appear to be in real-time, similar to Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XII, but without the coloured target arcs linking player to target. Square Enix has also confirmed that the game will feature real-time battles."

^__^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: