The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, GTAIV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Nice-looking, quick cuts, a grimy soundtrack and strong voice-acting. The basics are down.

I bet this trailer feels reassuring to those who, going by the first trailer, thought that GTAIV was going too far off path from the previous games.

I really like how natural the faces that they showed look. GTA games have always managed to get that "natural, not real"-type of facial design and animation down, but in this one they look outstanding and very expressive. I hope this carries over to the pedestrians too, as those didn't looks as hot as the main characters in the previous iterations.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It's a shame they're keeping the 'GTA Sense of Humour' though (boob and 69 jokes, and lumpen-handed satire)

Oh, come on. Lazlo was totally the best part of driving around with the radio on.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, some of the music was pretty good.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically KJAH in GTA3. And it only had tracks from one album. Just superb.
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:

Too bad The Scientist didn't get any royalties from it, even after suing Rockstar.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, technically remixes belong to the original artist.

it's a great album though. very, very 80s sounding.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Shot II Turbo wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Too bad The Scientist didn't get any royalties from it, even after suing Rockstar.

Man, that stinks. GTA3 actually put me onto The Scientist and dub in general.

And I actually thought that the production on that album was ahead of its time. I was blown away when I found the year it was recorded.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for that Special Someone trailer, in case you hadn't the right codecs or whatever.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From some online 360 zine thing:

* Time based missions are pretty much confirmed.
* Time limited actions in the game.
* The game is 86% complete.

So it would appear that time of day, or even just time in general, has a pretty big effect on mission parameters as well as other things you can do. I'm wondering what this all means. Do missions have time limits to them now, or something like that? Or are some characters just night owls and would repeatedly calling them up during the day while they're trying to sleep have some adverse affect on your relationship with them later on? Maybe this just means that everything in the game takes place on the same time scale, meaning no missions or activities that have their own "timer" ticking down on you each time you try. I don't know, the new E3 thing is next week, right? There'll probably be some juicy new info dropping there. The game is also 86% complete, whatever that means.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From gta4.net (from GamesTM):

Quote:

The August issue of GamesTM (a multi-format games magazine based in the UK) contains a world exclusive first look at the new gameplay in Grand Theft Auto IV. Here's a brief run-down on some of the new stuff mentioned:

* The demo begins in Grand Theft Auto IV's equivalent of Times Square: Star Junction. There aren't many pedestrians present at this time, but this is most likely due to the early nature of the code.

* The mobile phone can be used to gain weapons. In the demo that GamesTM saw, Niko calls his associate Little Jacob, who is a caribbean arms dealer. No more Ammu-Nation it seems. After a brief chat with Jacob, he tells Niko to meet him in an alleyway in Rotterdam Hill, where he purchases the weapons from him.

* Niko can use taxis to get around (presumably he can use the phone to call a taxi). The police are much more vigilant in GTA IV, and sometimes it is less hassle using a taxi than jacking someone's car. The trip-skip option is available for convenience.

* In the demo, Niko recieves a call concerning "shady lawyer" Goldberg, of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster (GLS). Niko can use the internet in GTA4. He heads over to an internet café called the "Tw@ Café," and hops onto a PC before surfing. He uploads his CV to the GLS website so he can get an interview - before killing Goldberg. He receives a phonecall confirming the time of his interview. The web is available from any computer in the game, and provides a hub for all sorts of interactivity within Liberty City.

* Missions in GTA IV can be interrupted. The interview isn't until tomorrow, which means you can carry out other business until then. This suggests you can do several missions at the same time, and missions can take place over several days, perhaps.

* Next in the demo, Niko pays a visit to somebody called McReary, at Castle Gardens, a coast-side hangout overlooking the Statue of Hapiness. McReary has had a memory stick stolen from him which contains sensitive data, and he wants Niko to retrieve it for him. He takes another cab to the meeting point, where the target is standing amongst a crowd of people. The problem is he doesn't know which one it is, so he gives him a call to see which one picks up their phone. Niko shoots the target three times in the back of the head, before taking the memory stick and making a run for it. He gains a three-star wanted level as a result.

* Committing crimes isn't as easy in GTA IV. You gain a wanted level for every crime you commit, aslong as there are witnesses present. Once you have gained a wanted level, a visible (circular) search area appears on the radar, and if you escape this area without being spotted, your wanted level will flash and disappear. If you are spotted, however, the search area's position changes, and centers on where you were last spotted. So unlike previous GTA games, the police don't always know where you are. They can't catch you unless they find you first. It was confirmed previously that in GTA IV every street will be named, and this is what cops use to communicate when they are tracking you down. There are no Pay N' Spray's to save you this time, unfortunately.

* Before heading off to the interview, Niko goes to a menswear store called Perseus. After spending $2,000 on a new suit and shoes, his phone alarm sounds and he begins his journey to the GLS offices for his interview. He speaks to the receptionist from outside the building via intercom, before making his way into the building. He enters Goldeberg's office and puts a bullet in his head, which causes his secretary to trigger the alarm. Niko must beat security guards and police in order to get out of the building. Bullets rain down on him, and there's a police chopper waiting outside. It seems as though the more bullets he takes, the more damage he takes, and hence he becomes less able to fight. The damage is actually visible this time.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man this is some pretty heavy sounding stuff for GTA, I love it. No more Pay 'N Spray or Ammunations? I can deal, especially when the alternatives sound so much more interesting. I guess that list of things TIm posted also answers my ponderings regarding how the affect time as a whole has on the game. I like the sounds of it so far. I really like the internet cafe ideas, I hope they can somehow manage to pump the real internet into the game. Probably won't though, so at least their faux internet sounds neat. I wonder if you can buy weapons and such from the internet? Who knows. Also like the way they're going with the wanted system and being able to run and hide from the police. This game is going to be awesome.

edit-gtagaming.com has a summary of the same preview that Tim posted, but I noticed a few more little bits of info that weren't mentioned.

Quote:
ˇ* You can skip taxi rides for convenience, or enjoy it in full from a first person viewpoint, allowing you to soak in the sights of Liberty City.
ˇ
*The sound is incredibly loud, overbearing and overpowering (When speaking about the police helicopter).

* The gunfight is now far more intense. According to the magazine, it's closest resemblance is Gears Of War. It also states, "The gun battle in Michael Mann's film Heat is often referenced as the Holy Grail for videogame combat, and Grand Theft Auto IV may have cracked it".

* Your mobile phone acts as a calendar, a vessel for text messages, an alarm and even a camera.

* In a screenshot in the magazine, Niko was seen doing drive-by with a Glock. It may suggests that drive-by is no more dependent only on the SMGs.

Just 98 days to go!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found scans of the GamesTM mag. It's a good writeup with some great new screen captures.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Oh man this is some pretty heavy sounding stuff for GTA, I love it. No more Pay 'N Spray or Ammunations? I can deal, especially when the alternatives sound so much more interesting.

Yeah, I really like what they've done with the Wanted Level system; that it's harder to get away with doing crime, but there are more interesting variables that determine whether you'll get caught or not. It seemed like in old GTAs, if you blew up anything with a grenade, no matter where you were, you'd get an instant 3-star Wanted Level. I'm probably exaggerating here.

It's like...every new piece of information I read about this game improves upon everything I know about GTA. I put all the news in this thread into an e-mail and sent it to my friend who's a GTA fan (but doesn't own a 360 or PS3) and he's looking forward to it now. I'm most interested in the NPC behaviors, and the crowds.

Mr. Mechanical wrote:

edit-gtagaming.com has a summary of the same preview that Tim posted, but I noticed a few more little bits of info that weren't mentioned.

Quote:
ˇ* You can skip taxi rides for convenience, or enjoy it in full from a first person viewpoint, allowing you to soak in the sights of Liberty City.
ˇ
*The sound is incredibly loud, overbearing and overpowering (When speaking about the police helicopter).

* The gunfight is now far more intense. According to the magazine, it's closest resemblance is Gears Of War. It also states, "The gun battle in Michael Mann's film Heat is often referenced as the Holy Grail for videogame combat, and Grand Theft Auto IV may have cracked it".

Just 98 days to go!

Wow. I'm looking forward to seeing if the gunplay lives up to that quote. Hell, I'd be happy if it was as good as kill.switch's gunfighting.
I see myself taking the longest taxi ride possible just for the first person view, because Looking Around While Riding Something is one of my favorite things to do in videogames.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Quote:

Gears of War?

Bleh.

This scares me as much as anything that I've heard about the series.

I bow to the realism of "duck, and cover, and DON'T GET HIT", but in general it's not what I'm looking for in video games.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New details from Play UK:

Quote:
McReary, the character we learned about in GamesTM, is a corrupt cop. He has "dirt on Niko's past." The mission they previewed is called "Call and Collect."
* Little Jacob (a caribbean arms dealer) is a good friend of Niko's cousin. When you buy weapons from him (which are kept in his trunk) you can scroll through them like you did in Ammu-Nation in the previous GTA games.
* Rotterdam Hill (the place where Niko agrees to meet Jacob) is in Alderney - the GTA IV equivalent of New Jersey.
* Niko kills Goldberg (the shady lawyer) because he owes a favour to somebody.
* Rockstar showed the sequence where he kills Goldberg twice. The first time he fell out of the window, the second time he merely crumpled on the floor.
* When purchasing clothes, you have to choose the items from the shelf individually.
* Determining which figures you need to kill requires perception - there are no arrowheads to direct you like in the previous games.
* Once you gain a wanted-level, the map flashes with circles of blue and red, with each circle representing the line of sight of the police chase. The circles differ in size depending on your wanted-level.
* The default camera view when driving rests around the left-hand side of the car above the road.
* Multiplayer is accessed via your mobile phone.
* The combat rests somewhere between Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War in terms of style, allowing you to roll, find protection and blind-fire from behind cover.
* Shooting different parts of the body has different impacts (e.g shoot a security guard in the foot at the top of the stairs, and he'll come tumbling down.)
* In GTA IV you have to develop relationships with other characters. Your relationship with Little Jacob, for example, is maintained through phone calls and loyalty. Developing good relationships with different characters can provide different rewards.

Also a little bit of the game was shown at Take 2's E3 conference:

Quote:
Demo Starts...

- The demo started off with a black menu screen, which is likely a temporary version, as is much of the user interface.
- The menu listed, from left to right, 'map', 'game', 'brief', 'stats', 'controls', 'audio' and 'display'.
- Niko Bellic was in a replica of Times Square, which is Star Junction.
- Trademark map icon in the corner.
- The traffic and most other AI characters were turned off, so it was hauntingly empty.
- He strutted around for a bit, and then stole a car which happens to be a black Lincoln Continental-lookalike.
- 40s/50s era jazz is playing softly in the background, over the car's radio.
- The camera was fixed 15 feet behind the bar and a little above.
- Lighting looked fantastic, textures looking solid and rugged.
- Frame rate was a bit jumpy, but level of detail in landscape was greater than Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- Niko pulled up to the docks under the "Broker Bridge" as the sun rose. The light played on the water, and then started illuminating the city behind him.
- Clouds above Liberty City light up, with planes flying through them.
- Clouds kept lighting up as Niko called up his buddy to "get some firepower.

Demo ends

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister freeman, the way you're following this game is both baffling to me and kind of endearing.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must understand, Dess, I really like GTA. If Mr. Williamson would allow it then I would spend all my time with this magazine writing about nothing but GTA.

In all seriousness though, my behavior following this game is typical fan behavior for any game. Eat up every dribble of new information as quickly as possible, buy into the hype, etc. etc. all months before I can actually play the game. GTA is, after all, my one true guilty pleasure. It's the only game where I'm willing to let myself toss off any cynicism or skepticism and simply hope for the best in frothing anticipation. Logically it makes no sense whatsoever, but the depths of hardcore fandom are completely beyond logic. I bet there's an article that could be written about all this.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a subset of the Fan Problem AKA Everybody Needs Somebody Who Hurts Them.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except I've never been hurt by a GTA game before. I hope this isn't the one that does it.

No wait, the "stories" games are kind of painful in a few respects, but I still played them anyway.

Also, people, keep your eyes on this site. It's under construction right now but I saw it on a billboard while reading the scans (second post from top) of the latest magazine preview. It read: "Looking for that special someone? Try out love-meet.net" or something to that effect. I typed it in and got the page you see now, but that "under construction, check back later" text in the top right corner has me kind of giddy as there have been several fake real world websites that have tied into each game released so far, starting with GTA III.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gba one is heartbreakingly linear!
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the gba one is heartbreakingly linear!

I had forgotten that one! It is pretty linear, isn't it? I think I still have it somewhere. I started it when I got it and played it for a little bit, but I don't think I ever beat it or even opened up anything beyond the first island. I remember boring mission structures, an otherwise non-existant "story", some clunky combat/driving. At least the rampages were alright and you could still look for hidden packages and such. It was pretty bad, all told, even for a top down GTA.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First teaser site found, it's for a talk radio station. WKTT: We Know The Truth Talk Radio. There's a number on the site that you can call and leave a message, and maybe it'll be used in the game. I think that's pretty cool! I'm going to leave a message but I need to stew on what I'll say first.

Also some minor dribbles of information peeped out from OPM Australia in their August issue:

Quote:
* Like San Andreas, eating and sleeping are used to recharge health, but the classic health pickups are no longer littered throughout the city.
* Confirms Niko is a Russian immigrant.
* Targeting controls have been tweaked, now providing the ability to use any object as cover and blind-fire over and around obstacles.
* Hot-wiring vehicles isn't an instant thing any more - it takes precious time to smash the window and nab the car.
* While the soundtrack is being kept relatively secret, the ambient noises are spectacular, with realistic weapon noises and bleeping horns on the busier streets.
* No loading times once you're into the game.
* Each street is individually named.
* Vehicles models are amazingly detailed, even absorbing bullet holes, and character models are equally impressive with lip syncing and facial expressions in cut-scenes perfect.
* Though no countryside element to appear in GTA IV, Central park's immense size will offer a variety of off-road gestures.
* Many paragraphs on the beauty of the graphics and the new wanted level system, the use of Internet and mobile phone as a major method of communicating with NPCs, attention to visual detail, etc.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of GTA GBA, has anyone played Payback? It's a full 3D GTA clone for the GBA. Very impressive engine, but the game design needed work.

Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some minor new details from Official Xbox Magazine US, courtesy of gta4.net:

Quote:
* We find out that McReary's first name is Francis, and that he knows about a felony Niko committed. It also mentions that McReary has a moustache, which suggests he is the character seen in this official artwork.
* The weapons on offer by Little Jacob included a 9mm, a shotgun, an SMG, and a micro SMG.
* Before Niko submitted his cv/résumé to the Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster website, OXM got a quick glimpse of his work history and qualifications. It notes that Niko was on the "Balkan Peace Force," and that he is procificent in swimming, shooting and boxing (it also says later in the preview that you are able to swim to the Statue of Happiness, or get a boat there.)
* Niko steals a black Comet before heading to the Humboldt River Viewpoint, to kill the man who stole McReary's memory stick.
* GTA IV will include a pool mini-game, and many other mini-games. "You'll play at least some of these while hanging out with NPCs like Little Jacob."
* Neither the 9/11 terrorist attacks nor Ground Zero will be referenced in any way in the game.
* The receptionist from Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster, who calls Niko to inform him about his interview, is called Karen.

Shying away from 9/11 and terrorism is probably smart on their part, if a bit disappointing in general.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Speaking of GTA GBA, has anyone played Payback? It's a full 3D GTA clone for the GBA. Very impressive engine, but the game design needed work.

I followed Payback for a while when it was still in development. Each new screenshot that came out had me more giddy for it than the last. I never played it though because I could never find it anywhere. I guess I wasn't missing much since I remember it got some middling reviews. Still, it was doing 3D top down GTA on the GBA before anyone else and that's what's important, right?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple post!

Games Aktuell magazine has some new details as well, courtesy gtagaming.com:

Quote:
** Niko will be able to break into houses at night and steal with a partner, like in San Andreas. Niko can also rob stores.

** Co-op details - there is a sort of "free-roam" with a player online, but split screen hasn't been confirmed. The multiplayer menu is accessed from the cell phone.

** Cops will have K-9 units to sniff you out when you hide.

** Buying guns from Jacob will unlock more guns, additionally the Ammu-Nation store is still alive supplying small arms. You can also buy body armor that will be visible on the body.

** The duck-n-cover system will play like Gears of War.

** All single player missions are complete, now multiplayer missions are in the works.

edit-I think the above is rumored false now or something according to gtagaming.com. The magazine is still being translated though so actual information is seeping out.

Quote:
- The taxi drivers will play a significant role into the gameplay. If Niko wants to go to point B, from point A, on the map, he can take the ride with just a push of a button.

- This time, taxi drivers will fulfill some special wishes for the Player. If Niko feels hungry, the Yellow Cab will drive him to the next Food restaurant. If Niko is hurt, then the taxi-driver will drive to the nearest hospital. So, each place is reachable, by taxi, in a matter of few seconds.

- Though, you can't take the taxi ride, while police are after you.

- Police will appear on the map as 'dots', while they are on search for you.

- Niko Bellic uses his mobile phone and the Internet, on regular basis.

- On the streets of LC, the reporters saw - Ferrari, Volkswagen Jetta, BMWs, Mustangs, SUVs, delivery vans, garbage trucks.

- Niko's mobile phone is a phone, messenger, Organizer, photo camera and GPS - all in one.

- The map will have GPS, which shows you the best way (will be colored in Yellow) towards your target.

- Improved target system with different hitzones.

- For the first time, Niko can be steered in all directions, while the past GTAs allowed the character to move only at 8 directions.

- Hot-wiring a car takes about 3 seconds.

- In the mission, which involves the killing of the Lawyer Mr. Goldberg, there is a dialogue between him and Niko (after Niko pulled out his gun).
Goldberg says: “I don’t fear guns. You know, guns don’t kill people - Videogames kill people.”

- The following shootout with the police is one of the best ever in a GTA-game according to the magazine. You have to cover and shoot while things fly through the room from the bullets. One policeman even fell down the escalator when they shoot him in the knee.

- The girl, in the artwork with lollipop, is named Lola and she is available for special hours.

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple days have seen numerous internet previews pop up and with them a lot of new information. Be careful, it can be a bit much to take in all at once.

Quote:
• Like the previous preview (circulated on May 25th), this one was also based on Xbox 360 version of the game.
• Though this demo was 5 weeks old from today's date, there was significant improvement in frame rate.
• Two missions were demonstrated in the preview. A corrupt cop named Frank McReary was the provider of these missions, which involved pulling off hits on two different targets - Goldberg, a Lawyer and an un-named Blackmailer.
• Three different Radio commercials were heard throughout the demonstration. Scroll below for the Radio Commercial scripts.
• The demo was initialized as (quoted from the reporters) "We start with Niko at Star Junction, GTA IV's version of Times Square at 5AM early in the October morning, and it's still dark, yet full of all the real character of dazzling neon Times Square."
• There's a theater show on called T.S. Pirate at the Thespian Theater, as well as a camera store called Liberty Cameras.
• Pedestrians seem more alive than ever before (smoking, reading, eating, dialing phones, etc).
• You can whistle for a cab to get to places quicker and may either enjoy the ride to your destination or perform a trip skip with the push of a button.
• Niko is short for "Nikolai".
• Goldberg's first name is Tom.
• Each street has it's own name and the name is popped at bottom-right as it is entered.
• Little Jacob - a Jamaican gun dealer from Dukes, Liberty City's interpretation of Queens. He is in the neighborhood of Rotterdam.
• Later in the demo, Niko sets off for Rotterdam on a breezy motorbike ride, and stopped next to a pizza store that sells pizzas at the very reasonable price of 99˘, and a large cocktail bar lit up in fluorescent pink called Bahama Mamas.
• Unable to simply just walk into Ammunation and buy a weapon, Niko has to search around in alleyways, backstreets, basements, etc to obtain them.
• Weapons are not as easy to acquire.
• Little Jacob sells the arms (9MM, SMG, Micro SMG) out of the trunk of his car for $100 a piece.
• You can also buy ammunition seperately.
• The cinematic camera mode is still in, along with multiple others; the default is placed slightly to the left of the driver side.
• The TW@ Café is located in Algonquin, north of Middle Park (Central Park)
• It costs $1.00 to get online at the cafe and is "Totally Wireless".
• The game has its "own" internet which is to have lots of fun things to do and explore on it.
• Niko has his own account that is accessible from any computer in the city.
• Inside the cafe, all terminals are neatly laid out and it is basically the same as a standard looking Cyber cafe.
• Pressing LB will make Niko sit down on the terminal, once sat at the terminal, the screen is displayed, as you would see it on your monitor.
• You can control the (mouser) pointer with the analogue stick of the Xbox 360 controller.
• R* asked the reporters not to write about some of the web addresses that appeared while browsing GTA's quirky version of the web, "because it's still stuff that's being worked on at the moment"; interestingly they checked out some of the domain names they noted down on WHOIS and none are registered by Take 2 yet. [Hint]
• You may be able to use credit cards as payment option in the game.
• Niko submitted a fake CV to the Goldberg Ligner & Shyster website, where he claims, i) his objective is to (quoted) "rise to the top of my profession in Liberty City", ii) experienced in criminal law with cases such as manslaughter under his belt, iii) deals with emerging markets in the West Indies, iv) has been associate attorney at Mediterranean Shipping Enterprise, v) has been an intern at a police force, vi) Got an MA in International Relations at 'Walford University', UK and a first class degree to boot. vii) skilled in people management, coping with cultural differences, athletic ability, shooting, boxing, running, and swimming "to a professional level", viii) interested in world affairs, importing and exporting goods, and free market competition.
• There's perhaps more truth to some of these claims that others, as we're sure to find out during the full game.
• The address of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster Lawyer firm is 44 Emerty Street, The Exchange, Algonquin, according to their website. They also had a phone number listed (area code 669).
• Once the appointment is set (after you get the call from Karen, Private secretary of Goldberg), it is automatically dropped into the organizer of Niko's phone.
• Niko doesn't have to accept phone calls if he doesn't want to, but if someone is intent on reaching him, they'll become increasingly annoyed. By the way, the name of the cell network is Whiz.
• Niko meets McReary at Castle Gardens, GTA IV's version of the South Street Seaport.
• Reporters saw McReary as wearing a black suit and tie, and sports a moustache and strong side parting in his slicked blonde hair.
• After the meeting with McReary, Niko jacked into an unlocked Black Comet.
• The engine sound was as impressive as we hear in Forza or PGR.
• The default camera angle is at the more central position leaning towards the drivers' side. When driving, the field of view and sense of direction the reporters experienced was superior to previous GTAs.
• Holding down A (X on PlayStation) allows Niko to run faster, though the control schemes are yet to be finalized.
• Every car is integrated with GPS system and the recommended route shows up in yellow on the radar at the bottom left.
• On the way to meet the blackmailer, the reporters saw trashcans with individually modelled items of different trash in them, newspaper dispensers, American flags hanging from many buildings, a Cola van with the slogan 'Deliciously Infectious', a hot dog stand, Burger Shot, a Chemist and a 'Vinewood' branded video hire store.
• As said earlier, each street has its own name and so far, reported street names are, Chinatown, Presidents City, Lancet, Hatton Gardens, Middle Park East and Ruby Street.
• As soon Niko meets the blackmailer, he pulls out his gun, triggering an over the shoulder aiming view, and caps him nine times to make sure he's dead. Then, Niko collects back the memory stick.
• As soon all the actions take place, police sirens were heard, and Niko's wanted level immediately got on two-star. Pedestrians start running all over the place in panic, and they're all running in different ways and directions.
• Earned wanted level triggers as a blue and red search radius, appeared on the radar at the bottom left of the HUD. Police dispatch will notify officers in their area of the details - who they're looking for, description, last known location, and direction they're heading.
• Escaping the radius will lose the wanted stars.
• The Wanted Level system is realistically based on the line of sight, as well. If an officer sees you changing cars or spots on the road after your description has been given out, then the search radius is refocused to your last known location.
• The more wanted stars are earned, the more expansion happens with the search radius.
• Cops' positions can be seen on the radar, but new ones can appear as their backup comes to help out.
• As the Niko exits the search radius, the stars will keep flashing so he has to be careful until the stars are gone.
• Once the stars disappear, Niko heads to Cod Row, Denver Avenue, Exeter Avenue and stops at Northwood / East Holland, then hands over the memory stick to McReary.
• Before heading for the interview, organized earlier in the day, with Goldberg, a T-shirt icon appears on the radar to mark Niko's first destination and Niko heads towards Silicon Street, through Quartz Street, and Middle Park East. Now, Niko reaches at Perseus - a quality menswear shop with prices to match its flashy décor.
• At the Perseus store, Niko picks up a Chocolate suit for $1000 and some nice shoes for $200.
• Inside the lawyer firm, while Niko walks with Karen towards meeting room, Karen advises him about Goldberg, "He's just in here. Don't be nervous, he doesn't bite".
• As soon Niko pulls out the gun, Goldberg reacts, "Woah, woah, hold on second there friend! We're lawyers, we don't need guns! Strong move though, I gotta say, I like that style... I'm all about the Second Amendment... guns don't kill people, videogames do!"
• Then, Niko demands to know where the McReary files are, then puts a bullet in Goldberg before he smashes and falls through the window of his office down to the street below - that's him taken care of.
• 10 seconds later, the wanted level reaches upto 3 Stars (out of Maximum of 6 Wanted Stars) and police sirens are heard. Now, Niko is bound to make the escape from the building.
• Niko can basically take cover behind anything (in this office environment, a cleaner's maintenance trolley does the job), and Cops are seen to take cover, as well.
• In addition to the involving cover system, there's also the ability for Niko to blind fire.
• The gunfight and chaotic rhythm of hiding, taking cover, shooting and reloading is classic gameplay that is great fun to see action, particularly with the ragdoll deaths of everybody in sight - against walls, down stairwells.
• The cops keep coming into the building to try and bust Niko. Niko makes an exit using various emergency stairs.
• The demo was played twice. On the second play, after Niko takes out Goldberg, instead of pursuing the missions from the first play, Niko instead opts to get his hands dirty in a massive outside shootout, in an area full of opportunities for cover. Cops, pedestrians, traffic and choppers all get in on the action, and Niko even blows up a gas station for the hell of it with some carefully aimed shots at the refill terminal when he switches the weapon to the Micro SMG. Awesome, as it explodes out in different directions out of the pump and the screen shakes with a bassy boom. Eventually, Niko dies in the action, after a while.
• As soon he dies, he falls to the ground and the camera pans high looking downwards to show that you've botched the job up.
• R* confirmed that the whole demo only showed off one third of Algonquin. It's about 1/16 of the full game map.
• The next preview will include PS3 impressions, online features and multiplayer modes.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I've been checking this thread every once in a while. Thanks for finding the news!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTA 4 DELAYED

From the press release:

Quote:
Take-Two is reducing its fiscal 2007 guidance primarily to reflect the movement of the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007 to fiscal 2008, due to additional development time required to complete the title. The title is now planned for release in the Company’s second quarter of fiscal 2008.

Quote:
Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two, stated, “With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games. Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms. We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game’s millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology.”

Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games, added, "The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about. Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits. The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game’s fans, and to create the ultimate high definition video game experience."

To be honest, I was sort of expecting it to get pushed back. But until next year? Ouch. For the best, I suppose, since the game will be that much better when it finally does arrive. At least now this way I can spend more time with Halo 3 and Bioshock and all those other cool games dropping this year.

Though I really hope they'll continue to trickle out new information on a somewhat regular basis. I'd be satisfied with just some short 15 second clips showing basic gameplay elements like hot wiring a car, a police chase, or some running and gunning. Like, basically, actual gameplay clips like they did with Vice City. That would be enough for me, really.

Maybe the added time will let them include more content to the game than previously envisioned, such as making a Staten Island-esque borrow that's fun to play in, as well as iron out all the technical kinks that they're surely experiencing at this point. Who knows, we'll see. The wait just got longer.

I want to be optimistic and think "Hey maybe they'll toss us a demo over Live with just a small sampling of an area or something with a mission or two and some weapons to play around with that would be cool." but I know it's about as likely as Santa Claus bringing Christmas early.

However! I should be finishing up with school right about when it finally does come out, so that's definitely something to be looking forward to. Though by then I'll probably need to be thinking about what to do after graduating. How I should continue my education, where to go next, etc. Jeez.

edit-Email from Sam Houser to the fansites:

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to tell you personally that we have decided to move Grand Theft Auto IV back a bit. We also want to thank you for all the incredible support you've shown us over the years. We'll have more information very soon, but in the meantime here's a release we're sending out to the press.

Best wishes,
Sam

Sam Houser
Founder Rockstar Games

Hey hey, more information soon.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job dropping that new information so soon, Mr. Houser.

Official box art:

Might need to right click -> view image on this one.

There will also be a new trailer titled "Move up, Ladies" dropping December 6! Set your calenders kids.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh about the box art. I know it's not indicative of the game at all really; however, it would be nice to see them going in a new direction rather than sticking so close to the earlier formula.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game itself will be going in a new enough direction that the formulaic box art is forgivable. Of course, since GTA 3 the box art has been kind of iconographic in terms of letting people know that they're about to play a GTA game. From this box art we can infer:

The game will have helicopters.

Motorcycles.

Cars.

Guns.

Cell phones.

Other characters.

Some type of gondola?

Yep. It is very reassuringly Grand Theft Auto, especially in the wake of all the previews mentioning just how much is changing with this latest iteration of the series. Familiar themes in a new direction, etc.

Plus I really dig the slick new more detailed and realistic art style.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight new screenshots!

Well, they're not technically new, per se, since they've shown up in magazine scans before but this is the first time we've been able to see the digital versions in high res. Either way, new screenies to pore over, check 'em out. There sure are some purdy ones in there.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two new screenshots.

New trailer tomorrow!

edit-More new screenshots!

I guess we're seeing a slight deluge of some sort. Pretty nice either way, considering it's been months since we last heard or saw anything substantial on the game.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Trailer (2:03)

Too awesome. Lots of talking, punching, driving, exploding. Great song too. Also it looks like we get a peek at the intro movie as Roman is picking Niko up from the boat he came over on, and showing him the "mansion" which is just his shabby apartment. Great detail on the environments. Lots of intrigue with the story, as well.

The wait just got even longer.

edit-Man, this is a classy trailer. It feels like a movie preview you'd see in a movie theater.

Details I noticed:

The blood on Niko's shirt, seems that the more damage you take the bloodier you get.

Buildings can now catch fire and they burn realistically. Smoke and fire billowing out of the windows. (I hope this means we'll have firefighter missions with more than just burning vehicles now)

Visual effects OMG: The rain, the smoke in the bar, the lighting in the club, the water as the helicopter flies over it. It's all very wow.

First look at hand-to-hand combat. Just a few glimpses but it looks more involved than in previous games.

The entire game looks more involved than previous games, actually. The camera angles in the vehicles are set much lower, it really feels like you're "right there" just from watching it.

There's a point where a cop car crashes into a semi, the hood crumples realistically and the damage models seems to have more detail to them.

Car explosions look awesome. Very full bodied and weighted, lots of fire and smoke.

Framerate looks improved, not as choppy as the last trailer.

The song is Russian and is apparently called 2Kaiser by Russian rapper Seryoga.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you draw your conclusions from that trailer, especially for the hand-to-hand or the burning buildings.

It looks okay, but the jury is out until some actual gameplay footage appears.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't know where you draw your conclusions from that trailer, especially for the hand-to-hand or the burning buildings.

Speculation, mostly. But it's all in-engine so I don't think it's too unfair to assume that some it what we see will carry over into actual gameplay. I doubt the punching and kicking we see during the trailer is going to differ that much when we're actually doing it in-game. As for the burning buildings, this is the first glimpse we've seen of an actual building on fire in a GTA game, complete with fire and smoke billowing out the windows. If it happens in a cinema why wouldn't it happen in the actual game?

Quote:
It looks okay, but the jury is out until some actual gameplay footage appears.

This will be as close to actual gameplay footage as we can get, I'm afraid. At least until the game nears release and other websites start posting videos.
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song from the trailer.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's that time again guys. New previews for GTA IV are going to be popping up all over the internet today as several magazines and websites got to see a new demo of the game played last week. The first magazine to drop some new info is the German Games Auktell.

* You can now target different Bodyparts of your victim when you aim at him with a gun. He will now react realistically, depending where he has been hit. (for example, shoot him in the leg to show him you mean it)
* When you go to a bus stop, the time table will show up.
* Niko moves around Liberty City in 3 different speeds: Walking, Jogging or Running
* Rockstar will use the Euphoria Engine, known from "Star Wars: The Force unleashed". Result: Every Explosion looks different.
* Enemies that have been hit may still try to get up again and attack you (i imagine this like the last stand feature in CoD 4)
* Pedestrians have a memory. they remember your face when they saw you doing a criminal act and run away in terror whenever they see you again.
* Your wanted level does not depend on what you are doing (for example, killing someone in a back alley in san andreas with absolutely no witnesses would still earn you a wanted star), but on who is watching. so prepare for some sam-fisher-like actions for a minimal wanted star level smile.gif
* The multiplayer will be activated via the cell phone. they dont know anything about the multiplayer modes but there will be up to 16 players possible. yet you should not expect a gta iv world of warcraft.

I like the sound of this! Wanted level is based on line of sight so now it's possible to get away with bloody murder as long as there are no witnesses. You can target individual body parts for different results. Peds will remember your face if they see you committing a crime, and there'll be 16 player multiplayer! The bus schedule that pops up reminds me of the earlier previews that described something similar for ATM machines.
Three different speeds for basic movement makes me think of Assassin's Creed, in a good way. Here's hoping there's some kind of parkour element in the game. There should be a lot of new screenshots today as well so I'll keep my eye out for those.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gta4.net/screenshots/

The first ten are the new ones. Pretty impressive. Now, for a quick summation:

* The game has now essentially been completed. Rockstar are just polishing the game and dealing with bugs, glitches and minor things.
* The release date has yet to be decided. "Before the end of April" is unfortunately all we know. The gaming press will receive a hands-on preview before then - in approximately one month from now.
* The Liberty City map was shown briefly during the demo. Kikizo describe it as containing a large island in the middle (Algonquin) with a similarly sized island to the left (Alderney) and two islands to the right - a small one (Bohan) up north with Broker and Dukes underneath. Rockstar also commented on the map found in Trailer 3 by our forum member Bluespot. "My God!" was their reaction. In other words, yes, it is indeed the map. Well done to Bluespot!
* Liberty City will contain a subway system, which Niko is able to use. The system covers - at the very least - Broker and Algonquin, but we aren't sure about the other areas yet.
* A speedboat journey around (approximately) half of Algonquin lasted 5 real-world minutes.
* In terms of camera views, all the traditional views are still there, and there will now also be a dashboard view.
* During the demo, they passed a restaurant called "Poop Deck," where they met with Francis McGreary. Other places mentioned are Oneida Avenue, 99 Long Road (Broker), a bar called Perestroika, South Parkway, Franklyn Street Westbank, and Albannay.
* Three missions were previewed during the demonstration. The first one was "Search and Delete," followed by "Deconstruction for Beginners" and then "Truck Hustle". A new character called Playboy X is introduced by Elizabeta (a mutual friend) during the second mission. Playboy X lives in a mansion, and eventually provides missions for Niko. A second character called Dwayne Ford is introduced, who just got out of prison. He taught Playboy X "everything he knows," apparently. In the third mission, two characters called Ray and Bell are introduced. They are from the mafia, and are trying to help Niko find someone, but want some favours done in return.
* The character Brucie is introduced to Niko by his cousin Roman. Brucie runs a garage just around the corner from Roman's taxi depot in Broker.
* Characters often look different each time you see them instead of perpetually wearing the same clothes like in previous GTAs.
* The red and blue search radius on the radar is centred around the point where the crime was committed, and your last known whereabouts.
* Every police car in Liberty City has an on-board computer, on which you can access the police database files for anybody who's got a criminal record, or any other details that the police are aware of.
* You can smash your own car window to enable you to shoot from it; you can free-aim outside of your window using the right analogue.
* Liberty City has one airport, based on JFK, called Francis International Airport (yes, it's the same name given to the airport in GTA3). It is located in on the East of the city.
* Progress is automatically saved after completing a mission. There are also safe houses dotted around the city, which you can save at any time.
* In this demo, the cell network is called Badger, whereas in the last demo it was called Whiz.
* Building and maintaining relationships with characters is important. During the preview, Jacob comes to meet you rather than vice versa. This is only possible once your friendship with Jacob has developed to a certain stage. Relationships can be damaged if you (for example) fail to turn up for meetings, or snub the character too many times. Maintaining good relationships with characters provides benefits.
* Pool, eating, darts, drinking and bowling are just some of the activities you can do with your friends to maintain relationships. The cellphone is used to access these activities via a menu. If you go for a drink and drink too much, Niko will get drunk. When this happens, the radar reads "You are drunk. Your vision is blurred." and the camera begins to shake, which makes driving difficult.
* There is a radio station called IF99.
* The game clock is no longer one minute = one hour. It is now two minutes = one hour. So days now last longer.
* Niko receives phone calls from people throughout the game. If someone really wants to get in touch with you about an important issue, they will keep on phoning.
* The new targetting system was described. There are eight purple segments in the target circle that make up someone's health, which you get when you're locked on - during free aiming you don't get the indicator.
* Expensive cars have better GPS systems than poorer ones. The one they enter during the preview session "talks us through the streets!"
* The cellphone can be used to listen to radio stations, so now you can listen to music at any time.
* The GTA 4 weather system does not feature seasons, and there is no snow.

Courtesy of GTA4.net as well as the following sites with previews:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/847/847102p1.html
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/847/847035p1.html
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/847/847035p1.html
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/xbox360/game/previews/article.jsp?releaseId=2006051014323586065&articleId=200801233710658040&sectionId=1001
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/xbox360/game/previews/article.jsp?releaseId=2006051014323586065&articleId=200801233710658040&sectionId=1001
http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1844/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/p1/
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/previews/158028.shtml
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/grandtheftauto4/news.html?sid=6185020
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/grand_theft_auto_4/preview-734.html

So three missions were previewed wherein it was revealed that:

Police cars have computers in them that can be used to search the crime database. You can type in someone's name or upload a picture you've taken of them with your camera phone to see if they're in the computer system. In the mission previewed, once Niko found his target in the computer system the car's GPS plotted out a route straight to the guy's doorstep.

Some of the nicer cars will feature talking GPS systems.

You can now shoot from your car using the right stick to aim (like in Saint's Row, I imagine). In one mission Niko shot at the chains holding a bunch of logs on a truck until it broke, causing the logs to tumble off the back of the truck and create an obstacle for the guy he was chasing.

If you fail a mission you can try again immediately (as in, right then) though the dialogue will change in the opening cutscene.. The game autosaves upon completing a mission though safe houses are still scattered about.

There are interactive mini-cutscenes like those made famous in God of War, the one example here being Niko climbing aboard a moving truck, making his way to the cab, then dramatically bursting in through the window, shooting the driver, and making off with the vehicle.

You can listen to the radio through your cell phone and it sounds appropriately tinny.

Building relationships with other characters was fleshed out some. Basically you call someone up, see if they want to do something, be it bowling, pool, a strip club, or a date. Then you go pick that person up and do the activity with them. This has side benefits in that building good relationships with certain characters will net you access to better vehicles and weapons. One character, for instance, will provide you with helicopters the better on you get with them, while another will provide more firepower. Roman will provide free taxi services eventually. The previews speak of Niko and Roman going to a bar, getting piss drunk, and then describe what it's like to drive drunk in-game. The vehicle's control is more difficult, the screen blurs and the camera bobs and sways. However, it should also be noted that if you set up something to do with someone and then decide to blow it off without calling them up to cancel they'll be quite annoyed and this will affect how they do business with you in the future.

The city is just massive and the framerate has been greatly improved since last year. The game is mostly finished and all that's left now is bug testing and other polish.

You can ride up the sides of buildings in the scaffolding used by window washers. The view is impressive.

Line of sight plays a huge role in combat. In one mission Niko fired upon some bad guys from a rooftop using a sniper rifle. Even though they were being fired upon the bad guys couldn't see Niko and therefore didn't know where to shoot. There's a cover system like the one used in Gears of War, or perhaps Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, and the game features a Crackdown style lock-on. You can pull the left trigger slightly to enter a free aim mode, and pull it in all the way to get a lock on somebody. You can also target individual body parts like in Crackdown.

There's a button you can press and hold to automatically center the camera on the car you're chasing, so that if you get smacked off course or spun around you can tap this button to get your bearings back more quickly and not lose the person you're after.

There's probably more stuff that I'm forgetting or just haven't gotten around to finding out yet since I haven't finished reading through all the previews but I think all this will suffice for now. I'm pretty excited about this game again and I hope it comes out soon.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official website is up and it's pretty neat. And interactive map of the city with links to other mini-websites from the gameworld. I'm taking an online personality quiz from the love-meet site and the results are hilarious. First I was a Boring Loser and then a Douchebag. The descriptions are accompanied by in-game pics of random pedestrians, so when you see those types of people on the street in the game you'll know what kind of person they are. Just neat!

Anyway there's a lot of neat little stuff here to explore. Character pages that have video clips. This game is coming soon, you can feel it.

There's also a lot of new info from hands on previews at gta4.net.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, harveyjames is in this game?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the game map got leaked early.

Froth levels reaching critical mass here.

Also there is apparently a new trailer dropping in a few hours. It'll be the final trailer released before the game comes out.

Multiplayer details have finally been revealed as well and it sounds sweet. 16 different game modes and up to 16 players at a time! There's even a free roam mode where you can invite friends to your game just to hang out and dink around Liberty City!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful not to froth too much in the abyss, lest the abyss froth over you or something like that.

i wonder what the eventual pc port will be like. i never played any of the pc ports of the other gta games, so...quality? worthless?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vice City PC port I played was pretty good. Basically higher res textures and less pop-in/slow down. Farther draw distances, not as much aliasing, that sort of thing.

That was Vice City though, I never played GTA 3 or San Andreas on PC so I have no idea how well those did.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did i point out already that GTAIV is a dumb acronym, because the roman numerals read as letters?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think you did back on page one.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
wait, harveyjames is in this game?

HEY
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockstar Games Social Club

Multiplayer leaderboards and stat tracking!

Quote:
* LCPD Police Blotter - A virtual map and tracker of single-player criminal activity logged in Liberty City from the aggregated data of millions of connected players - showing the most dangerous areas of town, most commonly used weapons and more.
* The Story Gang - This special single-player leaderboard recognizes players who complete Niko Bellic's main story arc of Grand Theft Auto IV - The leaderboard ranks players according to the total amount of playing time it's taken to complete the story, as well as a historical rank by who has completed it first. Members of this club will receive special online widgets and merit badges marking all of their in-game accomplishments.
* The 100% Club - Watch to see who will be the first to complete 100% of the game. The first ten people to be identified on the Social Club as reaching 100% will be sent an ultra-rare commemorative 'key to the city' to mark their accomplishment. In the future, the 100% Club will then carry a historical leaderboard showing rankings of who has completed 100% of a game in the shortest span of playing hours.
* The Hall of Fame -- This area will dynamically recognize those singularly elite players who have reached the top of the hill on various statistical leaderboards, and will also contain a personal awards display of special in-game landmarks and successes in Social Club competitions.
* The Liberty City Marathon -- A ranking of special physical milestones achieved in the game - from the amount of miles walked, driven, or swam - to the number of bullets fired and stunt-jumps jumped. There will be additional special marathon-based competitions in the future from this area as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: