The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Crying Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: The Crying Game Reply with quote

Being TGQ, this topic title could mean one of pretty much damn near anything, but in this case, it's about David Jaffee's failed PSP game, "heartland." Did you know that this was the name? Neither did I! But I just found out, and slowly more and more information has been coming out about it. A few months ago he let slip that it was canceled, a bit after that he let slip the name, and this juicy Entertainment Weekly interview has the goods:

Quote:
Yet after God of War you began work on a game for Sony's PlayStation Portable that was all about emotional storytelling. A few years ago, you told me it would be a game that might make players cry — the Holy Grail for some designers. The title has since been cancelled, but what was it about?

Heartland was the story of China invading America. It was a first-person-shooter where you played a soldier debating whether to stay and fight for America or go AWOL to meet up with your family. We were trying to put in a lot of gameplay that would evoke emotion. You had sequences where you'd go into homes and your commanding officer would tell you to shoot innocent Chinese-Americans. It was very dark and was meant to cause players to consider what it's like to live in America and be an American today.

Hearing myself talk about it now makes me a bit sad [that we didn't finish it]. But I wasn't incentivized to make it, in a way that I could go to my family and say, ''You're not going to see me for 90% of the time, but there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.'' There isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, at least the current way the industry is set up.

There's a lot of stuff to talk about in there, but I'll start with asking whether or not an Army FPS could be the right vehicle to "make you cry in games" or not.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just quote Jaffe from in his own words from his own blog:

David Jaffe wrote:
I mean, sure we could have made Heartland- and may still make it one day- but from a MESSAGE standpoint, what's the point? So here's a game that says: I HATE GEORGE BUSH! I HATE THE IRAQ WAR! I HATE HOW AMERICA HAS LOST ITS REPUTATION AROUND THE WORLD IN THE LAST 6 YEARS,etc,etc,etc....it's like....so what? The folks that agree with me will nod in approval, the folks who don't will call me an ass...and there will be one more opinion out there that we've all been hearing for years. Maybe if I had something NEW to say, something fresh, ok then it makes sense. But I really don't.

So, yeah. I don't think he's very good at "saying things" as it were. I think he utterly failed with saying anything through mixed messages in God of War. I think Heartland would have been a horrible game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno i think it sounds cool but whatevs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time jaffe opens his mouth (metaphorically, i guess?), i actually get more respect for him. that being said, leading the way in political debate/discussion/rhetoric/polemic isn't usually how you win people over, it's by taking simple points and bashing them over the head with it, so i think it would've been interesting to see a "MUST PLAY" title with such a stance.

alas though too i can see why it would've been a complete and utter fucking trial to actually develop.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, yeah. I don't think he's very good at "saying things" as it were. I think he utterly failed with saying anything through mixed messages in God of War. I think Heartland would have been a horrible game.

You really have a lot of contempt for a guy who didn't quite accomplish as much with his game as he could have. God of War gets a lot of things totally right, it just gets a few things totally wrong. I'd also maybe even make the argument that the things it gets wrong, it gets wrong almost specifically because it had to get those things wrong to do the stuff that actually works in the best way possible.

I'm guessing that Heartland might have been pretty interesting, but I always assumed that it was a strategy game given the subject matter of America vs. the world, and I couldn't see how a strategy game could bring out emotion in people. An FPS I can see a lot of emotion, but there are so many huge issues with it. First and foremost, the type of people who dig on those types of games seem to be crazy pro-America, war-lovin' army guys. It's an odd format to make an anti-Bush statement within. Then there's the whole concept of being forced to kill people that your character and the player are both supposed to be ethically opposed to killing. In the entertainment weekly interview he's flat out telling you about a scene where you've got to do what's essentially EXACTLY the reason that Matt hated God of War in the first place. I find it kind of odd that he didn't learn his lesson when God of War II did (it's pretty sparse on the unnecessary killing of innocents).

I do think Heartland probably would have been pretty emotional, but I also think it seems to ask a lot that's in direct opposition to the strengths of the medium and the makeup of the medium's demographic. That doesn't even touch the fact that it was an FPS on the PSP, something that even the Killzone developers knew was a bad idea.

Seems like it was doomed to failure on some level from the very beginning. But there are two ways to look at this. Is it better to try to push the medium in new directions even though it'll be a challenge that will likely fail in some way, or is it better to stick with what's been established and play it safe with something that doesn't really move the medium forward at all. I guess we'll find out with Calling All Cars!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First and foremost, the type of people who dig on those types of games seem to be crazy pro-America, war-lovin' army guys.

dude?

what?

dude?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
First and foremost, the type of people who dig on those types of games seem to be crazy pro-America, war-lovin' army guys.

dude?

what?

dude?

Just callin' it like I see it! Who else buys all those copies of Call of Duty 3?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"People who like shooting people in games" != "People who want to shoot people in real life", Jack Thompson.

Seriously, I know a ton of people who buy all the Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc. games and none of them are particularly "army dudes".
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just like the perspective. meaning the viewpoint. meaning, like, how you look at stuff in the game. the only real message you get from FPS games - any of them, i look in your direction maoist game critics of all stripe - is that getting shot doesn't hurt that much.

from what i understand, this is a stone-cold lie. then again, we learn that from all games, don't we? nothing really hurts.

though if i moved somewhere with reasonable, non-constitution shredding gun laws, i could see myself getting into that pretty hardcore. i have decent hand-eye coordination still and it hurts less than being choked out.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really need to hang out in an EB/GS at peak hours around the check out counter and watch what people buy and say.

While Wes is super-stereo-typing to a bit of an extream, why do you think that those terrible SOCOM games sell so well and have dozens of sequels? That is the main audience for these games, like it or not.

This doesn't mean that they want to shoot people in real life though.

Also, I still don't like the first person perspective.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, i have hung out in an eb games. a lot of wii talk and some analysis of how the ps3 totally sucked.

nary a copy of socom in sight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the folks I know who are into SOCOM are into God of War as well, which usually translates to "I'm 19 and shooting things/beating the crap out of things in a videogame is fun" and you could talk about all sorts of things like misplaced aggression or the nature of our modern society blah blah blah, I don't think it's really indicative of their political leanings or whether they think that real-life violence is awesome.

I mean, for some of them it is, to paint with a broad brush makes me uneasy.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You guys really need to hang out in an EB/GS at peak hours around the check out counter and watch what people buy and say.

While Wes is super-stereo-typing to a bit of an extream, why do you think that those terrible SOCOM games sell so well and have dozens of sequels? That is the main audience for these games, like it or not.

dhex wrote:
dude, i have hung out in an eb games. a lot of wii talk and some analysis of how the ps3 totally sucked.

South, meet North. North, meet South.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

dhex wrote:

South, meet North. North, meet South.

Post of the week!
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having hung out at plenty of EBs in my day, I just can't say that I've really ran across this.

Have you spent time playing SOCOM to even really know the community? Battlefield? For online play, it's more about teamwork and the community than "look how awesome this rocket blows up!" I'm sure those really into the military buy them, of course, but that's like pointing at someone who likes sports and thinking it's a surprising or informative link that they buy the yearly MLB releases. To think that they sale to some large paramilitary subset of the population is a bit much.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I'm sure those really into the military buy them, of course, but that's like pointing at someone who likes sports and thinking it's a surprising or informative link that they buy the yearly MLB releases. To think that they sale to some large paramilitary subset of the population is a bit much.

Yeah, my point wasn't so much "people who like war games are retards" as it was, "someone making a war game might want to consider the fact that people buying it are likely not going to be very anti-war."

It'd be like making a soccer game solely to remind people that soccer sucks. You might end up with a really interesting game, but you're totally cutting off your main audience.

I have to admit though, I'd love to see a war game with a cover that looks just like a Call of Duty game, but where the main character is standing in front of an upside down American flag.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Jeff had a pretty good point as well, though I think the game could've been pretty interesting. Even if someone does/doesn't like Bush, if he was clever enough, though people making a point about politics are rarely subtle, a much finer point could've been made rather than a broad ranting.

I wonder how many people would understand that an upsidedown American flag means danger/help?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder how many people would understand that an upsidedown American flag means danger/help?

it would be a pretty durn neat cover, though.

playing stalker has convinced me that red dawn: the game needs to be made at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of a Patrick Swayze series! Sequels can include Dirty Dancing and Donnie Darko. Somebody put Jeff Minter on the project.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean roadhouse and next of kin, right?

(next of kin is fucking amazing, btw. roadhouse, not so much.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to settle for a quintology.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
We'll have to settle for a quintology.

Oh if only Douglas Adams was still alive.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked to see what he came up with, but I agree with the reasons why he dropped it. He seems like a smart guy, I can't stand his games though. Well, I would have loved God of War if it was like three hours long... but yeah. I would have been interested in seeing some of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it would be a pretty durn neat cover, though.

playing stalker has convinced me that red dawn: the game needs to be made at some point.

Shattered Union had a pretty nice cover, though maybe a bit too clean. I really dug their faction flags though.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a red dawn mod has been made for Operation Flashpoint: Red Hammer. Ah, what a great, ball crushing, game
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump and old, and seemingly dead, thread. But I just had to add that I really would have liked to see this Hearland game happen, and once again, I don't see the hate that Jaffe gets. And, no offense to some folks around here, but I almost get the sense that if Kojima had said and done the same things, there would be none of the vitrol.

I also love how his games gets all this love and adoration from the intellectual set when, basically, its just a war game. Yeah, it pushes the fourth wall and all that jazz, but... its a war game. I just don't get how a war game that tries to be arty gets acclaim and a action game that just tries to be an action game gets all this venom.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads never die at TGQ!
FortNinety wrote:
But I just had to add that I really would have liked to see this Hearland game happen, and once again, I don't see the hate that Jaffe gets. And, no offense to some folks around here, but I almost get the sense that if Kojima had said and done the same things, there would be none of the vitrol.

Ok, first, all of my hate for Jaffe is summed up pretty well here. Why Kojima wouldn't get the vitrol is because he actually has the ability to write something above the level of 10th grade fan-fic. Don't get me wrong, Jaffe's heart is in the right place, and he's a fine game developer (I look forward to calling all cars) but he is a perpetual 12 year old, and attempting subject matter like that is just going to make games look worse, especially in any kind of serious capacity.

I would like to see Heartland happen, just not in Jaffe's hands. I kind of thought that Gears of War would cover some of the subject matter from a Sci-Fi perspective, but they handled it so subtly that it's pretty much transparent.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Why Kojima wouldn't get the vitrol is because he actually has the ability to write something above the level of 10th grade fan-fic.

See, there's a big difference between Jaffee and Kojima. Kojima can write a good story, but he just can't tell it, and Jaffee can tell a good story, he just can't write it. Cutscenes are the refuge for the weak game designer, and Kojima's games are riddled with them - that's when his games aren't just a big cutscene in and of themselves as in Snatcher/Policenauts. Don't get me wrong, I like Metal Gear's gameplay, it's just that it rarely has anything to do with the story.

So what's the solution? Put Jaffee and Kojima in the same room and have them make a game with an amazing story that's amazingly well-told? No! I assert that God of War's story is what it is specifically because it lends itself to various contexts for interesting gameplay.

Writing a better (read: more plot-based rather than fucking-bad-ass-situation-based) story won't improve God of War, it will only bog it down. Yes, there are a large number of people who dock God of War for having a bad story then, but there are even more who remember the time that they stabbed a colossus in the eye, ripped off Icarus's wings and used them themselves, or had to protect their wife and kids from their own horrid past actions. In Metal Gear you collect a rocket launcher because it's an army game, in God of War you collect a giant hammer because you pry it from the dead hands of a zombified resurrection of the guy who you sold your soul to Aries in order to defeat. Both are technically there because it's a videogame and that's what you do in a videogame, but one of these games at least attempts to put meaning behind why you do what you do in a videogame.

I enjoy both, and can certainly understand why people don't like God of War, but it's a shame that the good gets overlooked when the bad is simply an unfortunate byproduct of the good.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why Kojima wouldn't get the vitrol is because he actually has the ability to write something above the level of 10th grade fan-fic.

i am certainly no kojima scholar, but i haven't heard of anything from the dude that wasn't a comic book adaptation of an action movie with a wee bit of matrix trilogy thrown in.

what am i missing?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ok.

I don't have the time or energy to argue this long enough. But I would say that the only thing that the cut scenes in MGS games are worse is because they can get excessive. If anything it's not the cut scenes that are the problems as much as the codec conversations.

ANYWAYS, to compare getting a rocket launcher to Icarus wings is stupid. If you’re going to do this kind of comparison you should compare getting a sniper rifle to the Sniper Wolf (shit did I remember the right name) fight. Or the sniper rifle to the scene at the bottom of the Big Oil Rig (whatever its called in MGS2). Or the Sniper Rifle to The End fight. Hell, it’s like getting the rocket launcher for the fight against the FUCKING HARRIER JET.

I’m not trying to say that MGS is better at these (even though if you were to ask my opinion I would say that it was), what I’m trying to say is that MGS only loses on the fact that the story can get a little drawn out at times and perhaps a little lost in it’s own pretensions. Implementing gameplay into story has been done well in every MGS title: integration, mic-gun use, and hell even cigarette use.

The only real examples of story combined with gameplay in God of War are boss fights. To say that MGS does boss fights any worse is another silly statement. To say that GoW feels way more epic in its battles, well I would agree with you on most instances (Shagohod!).

The point isn’t that I’m trying to argue toe for toe on you with comparisons, I’m just trying to say that you’re letting the occasionally overly-verbose sections of MGS cloud your memory of the really awesome way that MGS does exactly what you say it’s doing poorly.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i am certainly no kojima scholar, but i haven't heard of anything from the dude that wasn't a comic book adaptation of an action movie with a wee bit of matrix trilogy thrown in.

what am i missing?

I don't know where you're getting the matrix trilogy bit from, but you're forgetting a ton of influences from 70s cult film.

I mean, the difference is that he's not writing it with a raging hard-on in his pants, and is also careful of the subject context: which is taken seriously with proper continuity of the character motivations.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but is any of it really above 10th grade fanfic, as you mentioned above?

again, i haven't played all of his stuff (i quit about halfway through MGS, it was getting too corny and just wasn't working for me) but at least from what i've read on wikipedia (father of lies), it's all pretty standard fare.

which isn't bad for a game, i mean. it's probably a strength, since gameplay tells better stories than what's actually written anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, guys: Linda Hunt.

I mean, Linda freaking Hunt. Her narration makes me melt.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
yeah, but is any of it really above 10th grade fanfic, as you mentioned above?

again, i haven't played all of his stuff (i quit about halfway through MGS, it was getting too corny and just wasn't working for me) but at least from what i've read on wikipedia (father of lies), it's all pretty standard fare.

which isn't bad for a game, i mean. it's probably a strength, since gameplay tells better stories than what's actually written anyway.

Dirty little sekrit: I've never finished MGS myself. I can't bring myself to do it. I watched a friend finish it when it first came out, but I've never made it past the 2/3 point or so myself.

I highly recommend picking up MGS3. Leaps and bounds have been made in story telling and cutting back on the cheese/corn compaired to MGS1. It's not a perfect example of maturity in story telling in games, but its handled seriously at least. It's about the equivelent to something like James Bond as opposed to Red Heat.

Hell, I think you would really like MGS3, and I know you still have a PS2.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

yeah, but i am trying to sell it. i think someone's just going to get it as a christmas gift this year.

plus i already read the wikipedia entry so...(i do this with movies and whatnot too so i have an excuse not to go/read/discuss them.)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

yeah, but i am trying to sell it. i think someone's just going to get it as a christmas gift this year.)

Playing something and reading something are completly different. You know that.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but if i already know what's going to happen, you know? and ultimately, console games kinda piss me off at this point for reasons i've already explained or that actually can't be explained. it's a frisson thing i guess, like, why i like subarachnoid space but can't fucking stand acid mothers temple? (actually i think i can blame japan on that one too) stalker's broken-assness is too compelling to drop for some foreign country's dirty mental laundry, you know?

ultimately though there's a problem as i'm running out of people i could just give a ps2 to which is a bit worrisome. also a friend of mine gave me rule of rose the other day and i'm afraid to start it after watching you guys beat up on it. she said she was having some fun but is too busy with law school/playing final fantasy 1 to finish it.

that has nothing to do with anything.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Toups thinks Rule Of Rose is one of the best survival horror games.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The point isn’t that I’m trying to argue toe for toe on you with comparisons, I’m just trying to say that you’re letting the occasionally overly-verbose sections of MGS cloud your memory of the really awesome way that MGS does exactly what you say it’s doing poorly.

Metal Gear certainly has its moments, but overall the plot has nothing to do with the gameplay where in God of War every single tiny little microscopic element of the plot has something to do with something you actually do within the game. Something as small as a block puzzle has elements of character development. Kratos pushes a guy inside of a cage onto a fire to finish a block puzzle; Kratos doesn't care for humanity as long as he gets what he wants. Kratos kills his wife and daughter; Kratos has to travel into his mind to fight his inner demons. Kratos sees a mysterious guy digging a hole in the ground; Kratos emerges from hell out of the hole in the ground. Kratos becomes the God of War; Kratos' power gets amped up to an insane level and his weapons start glowing yellow. All of these story elements - Kratos' murder of random villagers, the killing of his wife and daughter, the guy digging the hole in the ground, the whole concept of a "God of War" - they all serve as actual game elements, and aren't just there because a grand and powerful story existed in Jaffee's head that needed to be told. They're not there for you to be in awe of the great writing, they're there because when you're playing a game it's a lot more rewarding when the stuff you're doing feels like it's being done for a reason. God of War's great accomplishment isn't plot - it's context. It does context better than any other action game out there and I challenge you to find me a game that does it better.

Back to Metal Gear. What the fuck do the Patriots have to do with anything that Snake has ever done? Why in the world does Snake have to put on camo at all? What the hell does a vampire or a jetpack-clad pyro have to do with Snake's history? What does anything you actually have to do yourself in any of the games have to do with the war they talk about in every single one of the cutscenes? I'm sorry, but the cutscenes in Metal Gear would be a lot more tolerable if they felt like they had anything to do with the gameplay rather than just feeling like they're trying to be clever.

Don't get me wrong, I like Metal Gear Solid 3 more than I do God of War, but every time I think about replaying it I remember that I'll just be sitting there staring at the screen for 30 minute increments. If I'm going to do that I might as well play Kingdom Hearts 2, because although the story might not be as good at least I'll be seeing something new.

-Wes

PS - UNRELATED
PPS - ALSO UNRELATED
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you really need to take those blinders off Wes. Those are a bunch of rediculous statments.

How is traveling through Hades and more imporatant to the story than going through Outer Heaven? What difference does it make if the Patriots have anything to do with Snake's history anyways? Why does emerging from a hole at the end of a pretty straight forward section of levels mean that it's implemented well into the story?

Sorry, I'm calling bullshit here. Most of God of War's story is completly irrelevent to it's gameplay. Also:

Quote:
Kratos pushes a guy inside of a cage onto a fire to finish a block puzzle; Kratos doesn't care for humanity as long as he gets what he wants.

Look, seriously, if he really doesn't care for humanity than HE SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT HIS WIFE AND KID.
Quote:
Kratos becomes the God of War; Kratos' power gets amped up to an insane level and his weapons start glowing yellow.

Yeah, it's really cool that they use silly videogame stigma and steal it all from him at the begining of the game rather than using a little imagination and just building on his current powers.
Quote:
Kratos' murder of random villagers, the killing of his wife and daughter, the guy digging the hole in the ground, the whole concept of a "God of War" - they all serve as actual game elements, and aren't just there because a grand and powerful story existed in Jaffee's head that needed to be told.

What? They serve soley as story elements. Had those random villagers been large rodents, it would made no difference to the gameplay or game elements. It does however make a difference to the story. God of War's story is progressed even less by its gameplay than MGS.

Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffe and Kojima are just the videogame equivalent of directors. I would guess that they hire others to do the "writing".

Also, the prospect of 30 minute cutscenes in a medium based on interactivity is a horribly off-putting notion.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
How is traveling through Hades and more imporatant to the story than going through Outer Heaven?

Because the entire reason you're in Hades is because Ares senses that you've opened Pandora's box and chucks an enormous piece of column at the Temple of Pandora. Kratos get impaled by the column and he watches helplessly as several Harpies take Pandora's Box as he dies.

This happens in a short cutscene, but it's significant because it puts context to what happens next. It's not elegant by any means, but at least it puts a context to what would normally just be a "fire level."

Shapermc wrote:
What difference does it make if the Patriots have anything to do with Snake's history anyways?

Because why the fuck does Kojima waste your time with it if it doesn't have anything to do with the game?

Shapermc wrote:
Why does emerging from a hole at the end of a pretty straight forward section of levels mean that it's implemented well into the story?

Maybe it doesn't in and of itself, but in the context of "video games," where in 99.9% of all games you move from level to level simply because it's a videogame, God of War doesn't just attempt to put a context to what you're doing, it succeeds. And more importantly it doesn't waste a lot of your time while doing so.

People play games because they want to push buttons and see things happen. God of War doesn't aspire to do more than this, and there's a valid criticism there that Toups picked up on in his Action Button review. Still, the fact of the matter is that the whole purpose of story in games - any game - is to give a context for those button presses, Metal Gear knows this, and that's why Kojima's a good director and why Metal Gear is a good game. It's just that Kojima usually goes way overboard and forgets that people are playing the game because they want to press buttons. He's there to tell them why their button presses are important, and it's why even though Metal Gear is technically an Action game it feels silly to lump it in with God of War, Castlevania, God Hand, and Devil May Cry. There's no question that God of War is an Action game, but there's also no question that God of War is better at letting you know why you're pressing those buttons than any of those other games.

In Toups' review of God of War II he claims that it is “like going through an entire box of q-tips in a single day.” Well I say that Metal Gear Solid 3 is the same, only they've included several clips from q-tip: The Movie and it's got a fucking subscreen where they require you to use q-tips every 20 minutes so that it "really feels like an ear." I suppose this is admirable, but if you just enjoy cleaning your ears you're going to get impatient sitting there while the designers keep trying to hit you over the head with how clever they are.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
How is traveling through Hades and more imporatant to the story than going through Outer Heaven?

Because the entire reason you're in Hades is because Ares senses that you've opened Pandora's box and chucks an enormous piece of column at the Temple of Pandora. Kratos get impaled by the column and he watches helplessly as several Harpies take Pandora's Box as he dies.

This happens in a short cutscene, but it's significant because it puts context to what happens next. It's not elegant by any means, but at least it puts a context to what would normally just be a "fire level."

Shapermc wrote:
What difference does it make if the Patriots have anything to do with Snake's history anyways?

Because why the fuck does Kojima waste your time with it if it doesn't have anything to do with the game?

Wes, I can't make sense of anything you just said.

Do you just think that, because the food is terrible, it's good that the portions are small?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti-war people are idiots.

Warfare fetishists are idiots.

Idiot game designers making idiot games with idiot sub-text are not doing the medium any favours.

Generally, all of you can fuck right off.

Don't like it? Cry some more.

Christ, living in a Western world where the apotheosis of emotionality is crying and hugging. Jesus bloody wept.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Shapermc wrote:

Wes, I can't make sense of anything you just said.

Do you just think that, because the food is terrible, it's good that the portions are small?

It's not all about the size of the cutscenes, it's about their importance. In Metal Gear you watch 10 minute long cutscenes that have nothing to do with what you're doing the game. Do we play games to see stuff happen or do we play them to make stuff happen? If we play them to see stuff happen it's totally fine that there's an entire subplot about how the Patriots control the American government. If we play to make stuff happen, why does it matter who's controlling the American government in a game where you're running around shooting stuff? If the interesting stuff happens when you're not interacting why even have interactivity?

Metal Gear is like when you get a card in the mail telling you that you've been invited to a nice restaurant for a free 7 course meal. You go to eat the meal only to find out that in between each course you're forced to sit and listen to someone who's trying to get you in on their government conspiracy theories. They might be really interesting, and it might be worth your time, but because you're never given any time to enjoy the food, you end up leaving with an empty stomach.

EDIT: To continue the analogy, God of War is like doing the same thing but instead of long drawn out government conspiracy theories, the chef (who happens to not know English very well) comes out in between each course for around a minute to explain to you what your next course is. Because his English isn't so hot he comes off as sounding kind of silly, but knowing where your food came from somehow makes it taste better than it would otherwise.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Anti-war people are idiots.

Warfare fetishists are idiots.

Idiot game designers making idiot games with idiot sub-text are not doing the medium any favours.

Generally, all of you can fuck right off.

Don't like it? Cry some more.

Christ, living in a Western world where the apotheosis of emotionality is crying and hugging. Jesus bloody wept.

Huh?

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Metal Gear is like when you get a card in the mail telling you that you've been invited to a nice restaurant for a free 7 course meal. You go to eat the meal only to find out that in between each course you're forced to sit and listen to someone who's trying to get you in on their government conspiracy theories. They might be really interesting, and it might be worth your time, but because you're never given any time to enjoy the food, you end up leaving with an empty stomach.

that may be the greatest analogy of all time.

i also think this would make a great game!

"THE LIZARD JEW BANKERS OF ZION WILL NOT LET ME EAT MY GENETICALLY MODIFIED NAZI SCIENCE SLAVE FOOD: THE GAME"
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thread has become all sorts of exciting, hasn't it?!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:

Emotions are running naked through the streets.

Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

It's not all about the size of the cutscenes, it's about their importance. In Metal Gear you watch 10 minute long cutscenes that have nothing to do with what you're doing the game. Do we play games to see stuff happen or do we play them to make stuff happen? If we play them to see stuff happen it's totally fine that there's an entire subplot about how the Patriots control the American government. If we play to make stuff happen, why does it matter who's controlling the American government in a game where you're running around shooting stuff? If the interesting stuff happens when you're not interacting why even have interactivity?

You may have missed my reference. It just seems that you're saying that any story is too much. I mean, by that reasoning, where do you stop stripping away context before you get down to colored squares?

Oddly enough, what I've always enjoyed about MGS is that the amount of context that's given for the game is, in its own way, meant to reduce the actions of the game to contextlessness. Your actions in pushing buttons are absurd, but the game gives a context to give it meaning. Then the game gives it so much context that it loses meaning and becomes absurd again.

Kojima's presents his story to make the game trivial. On the other hand, God of War is an absurd game with equally absurd context that expects you to take it seriously.[/quote]
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
FortNinety wrote:

Emoticons are running naked through the streets.

Code:

\( 0.0)/
   |   |_
 /   T    L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: