The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STALKER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all sceptics - you really think that everything you hear from radio, read in newspaper or see on TV is based upon true?? then itīs you who should other people be laughing at ...only god(if some exists) knows whatīs really in heads of the world leaders ...and I mean real world leaders, not the ones you see in TV every evening in news laughing at camera and saying complete bullshit to bands of million trustful people around the world ...media are controlled by governments, governments are controlled by groups of people with interests far far away from our - common peopleīs - interests ...but to keep us down, cool and quiet every day they think out cover-ups and try to restrict and direct our minds to another things and goals that should keep us away of thinking about whatīs really happening ...these people need us to behave like stupid flock of sheeps and not to disturb them in their work because 10 billion people would be VERY angry if they discover whatīs really going on in those heavily guarded military areas and billions of dollars that every year go into some forms of research,etc. and 10 billion angry people means lost of control and anarchy ...we all would go crazy if we knew what technologies really exist but someone from some reason decided to keep it under cover because people of earth are either still very simple to use those technologies only for good reasons or someone plans to use those technologies to take over the world or what ...like i said - only god and a bunch of people knows whatīs really going on around world
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one final post for today: the one thing i really, really want more than anything else - even more than bandits that can't travel through walls - is a built-in melee attack (gunbutt, kick, whatever) it would be most handy when someone's staggered to be able to finish things off that way.

it's the one thing that dark messiah got really, really right, actually.

EDIT: i lied!

Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first patch is out for the russian version, so we can expect to see it soon. Here are all the fixes (the two right at the bottom should interest most people):

Quote:
Fixes

1. Buttons stayed "clicked", and values in the Options screen changed by themselves.
2. Players could kill friendlies by hitting them with a knife even if "Friendly Fire" was set to 0
3. Crash when a LAN player used a strictly server command.
4. Crash when a player joins a LAN game after previously dying in single player.
5. Names of maps during LAN games were showing up by their identifiers when voting for a new map.
6. Crash when attempting to buy an item after clicking the "Buy" button multiple times.
7. Crash when a player activated an anomaly when "Anomaly Time" was set to 0
8. Bought items were not showing up in the backpack if the cost of one item was higher than the amount of money the player had.
9. Player lost a weapon out of his backpack when a similar weapon spawned in a LAN game. Not sure about this one
10. It was possible to pause a LAN game.
11. Players could change their name to one that belongs to another player through "name" command in the console.
12. Players could not see a cutscene while looking at the PDA.
13. Player could use time compression with the "*" button in Singleplayer.
14. Player could wound and kill friendlies even when the "Friendly Fire" was set to 0
15. Starting weather was not always corresponding with what was set in the server settings.
16. Player's corpse would not dissapear in Team Deathmatch and Artefact Hunt.
17. "Show weapon" and "Identify NPC" weren't working.
18. "Up" and "Down" were inverted by default.
19. Server crashed when players voted for a map change but would not select a new map.
20. Player would not suffer fall damage if "Friendly Fire" was set to 0
21. Player died when exiting from the uniform selection screen back into the game.
22. Deaths from anomalies were not registering as a negative frag during Team Deathmatch games.
23. Game crashed when the buy menu was opened in certain points in the base during Artefact Hunt.
24. Spectators during LAN games could open the buy menu by pressing the "space" button.
25. Professor Kruglov sometimes couldn't open the the door to the mobile laboratory.
26. When a player fired a grenade launcher while facing close to the wall, the grenade would fly out of the level without doing any damage to the player.
27. Enemies could be killed through roofs and walls.
28. If Wolf was killed before finishing any of his secondary quests, they will be marked as "failed" in the PDA.
29. Problem with the "Kill Band Leader" quest, where the marker was pointing at a wrong person in the Dark Valley.
30. The scroll bar lost detail when resolution was changed to 800x600.
31. Anomalies were not showing up after activating the appropriate options when creating a server.
32. Game crashed when creating a server for "Team Deathmatch" if "Spectator" was turned on.
33. Problems with the "Slime" artefact.
34. It was possible to pick up an item through a wall.
35. Problems with money during a LAN game.
36. Problems with weapon price in the backpack.
37. Game crashed when voting was finished on kicking a player.
38. Rare game crash when a player would pick a side in a multiplayer game.
39. Problems with "update rate" command.
40. Trees in barrels would flame up even if there was no fire.
41. Player could get stuck by jumping between two stalkers and a table at the Bar.
42. False secondary quest descriptions for 2 quests given by Sakharov.
43. After finishing a LAN game, Sidorovich's name was replaced by a name of one of the players.
44. Game crashed when a player would fight two pseudo dogs on the Scorcer map.
45. Game froze when attempting to create two LAN server using an incorrect CD Key.
46. When ALT-TAB'ing out of the game the cursor would freeze with Windows 2000.
47. Problems with buttons on the buy screen during LAN.
48. Game crashed during map rotations on a LAN game (maps affected: ATP, Abandoned Village, and Abandoned Factory)
49. Players could pickup an enemy's grenade and use it again.
50. During a LAN game, a player's name would be changed to a random one with "_1" at the end, if the player did not select his name when joining that game.
51. Player characters would not be deleted during LAN games if voting for their deletion was uniform.
52. It wasn't possible to block another player during a LAN game.
53. Problems with game save names.
54. Game crash when a player would die from radiation in the sewers on the AgroProm level.
55. Artefacts would not follow gravity when dropped during "Artefact Hunt" on a LAN game.
56. Player characters would suffer no explosion damage with "Friendly Fire" on.
57. Game crash sometimes when loading the Sarcophagus level.
58. When attempting to reload a weapon and immediately start firing, the weapon would continue reloading. I think it's talking about shotguns
59. Game crash when a player was killed immediately after spawning.
60. Weapons could not be switched using the mouse wheel in single player, if a player did not have any grenades.
61. Various text errors.

Additional

- Increased performance
- Many improvements made to optimize the game, processor load, and video card load.

HOWEVER:

Quote:
Warning: The patch will require you to restart your game

What, am I gonna have to do this everytime a new patch is out or what? Guess I'll finish it before applying the patch and just replay it (which I intended to do anyway. That's how good it is. I hardly ever replay longish games anymore.)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty sucky. i'm just getting into the meat of things.

it's nice to see situations change once in a while re: roadblocks, etc. the dogs before the bar camp/city, for example. last time i ran into a bunch of stalkers who were shooting the hell out of the dogs, which is more fun than running away from the dogs because they're a pain in the ass.

man, headshots are very helpful. far more helpful than anything else, really. though i'm kind of weighed down at this point - is there a way to stash things?

there really should be.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can pretty much stash things anywhere. I always leave things in the stashes next to traders (there is always a big box for you), since I'll return there quite a bit. Once you get deeper in the game, you discover what things you can live without or get items that make other things redundant. This game forces you to only take what you need to survive, and I like that. I'm carrying 4 guns, two types of armour (although I can get rid of one now, I just haven't bothered yet) only the ammo i need, a few medits, three or four pieces of food, and I'm like 40 something kgs.

Being over-heavy is something to avoid.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've got a lot of medkits, including the science and military types. and a lot of grenades. sawed off shotgun, the rapid fire ak, an mp5 and the silenced pistol, though to be honest i'm thinking of getting rid of that. the shotgun is very handy for beasts - i hope i find a streetsweeper at some point.

also, some decent artifacts. i usually just sell them so i can keep my ak handy with ammo.

edit: teh patch seems to address a lot of game balance issues, as well as tech issues with not detecting/utilizing anything above 1gb of ram very efficiently. i'm kinda torn but i think restarting now would kinda bork my experience, since i know so much more now. apparently they also made money a lot more important!

temptations...
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa patch glitching from someone at the forums:

http://www.cambo.fi.it/foto/varie/ss_mike_03-27-07_19-25-20_(l01_escape).jpg

Last edited by dhex on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some additional weirdness: does anyone else have to keep their DVD in the tray when playing? my copy plays without, and better - with the DVD in the tray it would prompt for installation language, and i only figured out it would run by accidentally forgetting to put the DVD in my drive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it should play without it. THQ has been doing this off and on, apparently.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more pics. sniper rifles are fun but horribly innacurate.

Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently your stats improve your accuracy with weapons? I don't know how it works though.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are stats?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check your PDA! The button is on the bottom right hand side of the menu. It's... not very informative, but apparently the more shit you shoot, the better you become with guns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
some more pics. sniper rifles are fun but horribly innacurate.

Wait, isn't that like... exactly NOT what sniper rifles are supposed to be?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in former soviet ukraine, accuracy is lessened!

uh well yeah.

it's interesting watching the backlash over on the official GSC forums, including the obligatory "there should be a class action suit because this game does not live up to my expectations. we were lied to because you can't do everything and anything. it's not totally open and i am upset."

normally you just let that shit slide because i was all up in arms about stupid shit when i was 17 so what can you do, but there's a good chance dude is in his late 20s and jerks off about "steampunk."

also, what the living fuck? it's a game. it's not important. certainly not important enough to sue over. much less the very idea that somehow you can walk into a court and say "this game did not meet my standards: give me money"? i know we live in the age of stupid/farce/baditutude/every other age but with better technology and varying degrees of cultural laxity, but i can't help but be amazed by this attitude. can you imagine what this would do to the arts?

"if it pleases the court, i would like to enter exhibit A: music for airports. widely regarded as a modern classic and the birthplace of what we now call ambient music. i would like to contrast this with exhibit B, your honor: taking tiger mountain by strategy, which isn't nearly as good. there's a lot of less piano and a lot more really lame 80s "art" flourishes, and the singing is terrible. it sounds like something peter gabriel would jerk off to. there's no singing in music for airports! i was lied to. his name is on it and everything!"

anyway, i'm having fun in a certain spot outside the bar. i have the m16 ish weapon, but i don't want to drop the shotgun, which is probably a mistake as i'm overloaded now. maybe i should climb a platform and do it there?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some amazing screens, dhex. This whole thread makes me want to really play the game, but I doubt it'd run that great on my computer. I'll check it out in a couple years though, when my computer can handle it and it's been patched enough times.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've just started a run-through (patched version). Hasn't crashed yet but I've only played for one evening so far.

I'm running it on (no joking):
* an Intel iMac, boot camped into Windows XP, SP2
* 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor
* 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
* 128 MB Radeon X1600 on a 1440x900 LCD screen (although I can't run the game at this resolution, yeah... I wish I had a better video card in this thing).

Even with the 2 gigs of ram, this game is a beast of a memory hog. I had to turn off dynamic lighting, all anti-aliasing and most of the advanced visual flourishes. That being said - it still looks hot, just not as hot as it could/should look. The first few minutes (with everything turned on max) where beautiful, except for the fact that I couldn't actually move. Ha.

I am currently en route to my first research centre, having completed a few missions en route. I am pretty impressed so far!

Question: is there any way to tell when the effects of your vodka/anti-radiation needle have worn off?
Question2: the "enemy" counter... how do the numbers actually relate to the enemies? I've seen the counter go up to 10 or so, but don't know how to relate that into actual enemy presence...
Question3: When do people get added to your PDA contacts thing? I would have thought at least the boss man would be on there.. but I checked last night and it was still blank?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your video card is probably causing most of the problems. have you tried turning the textures down first? i would think that might cause as much problems as the lighting.

it's not an enemy counter so much as a people counter. greens are allies, yellow neutral, reds threats.

the radiation is a yellow bar in your inventory screen (next to your health and armor indicator) the vodka is kinda useless i've found, next to the anti rads (and far heavier to carry)

i think i'm going to spend most of friday finishing up some freelance work, writing my thesis, and then about two in the morning i'm going to play stalker until dawn. my wife is away at a conference so i don't have to worry about waking her up or whatever. then i'll get some bagels and see what saturday brings. (probably a huge waste of time as i fall asleep on the couch, but it sounds like fun.)

i played through ravenholm at 3 am with headphones when i first got hl2 and it stuck with me that much more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just spent the past 4 or 5 hours in the game... and it is fantastic.
It is open enough to feel like a real "world" - although the fences are definitely annoying - and the fact that people still do shit when you are gone is pretty amazing.

Basically, in that regard, it totally suceeds where Oblivion failed. In Oblivion, I felt like everyone was completely static until my character came on the scene. They'd be all like "Woah! I've been waiting 6 years for you to deliver this bread across the country! Take it!" And then go back to being frozen in time.

In this game, on the other hand, raids are constantly happening, people are dying, guys are playing guitars, people are plotting. While it isn't as dynamic as I would like it to be (you WILL hear the same 5-10 phrases again ... and again ... and again... whenever you step into the bar), it far surpasses the world of Oblivion in my eyes.

And, hah! I managed to make the game both look alright & play well. It turns out I hadn't patched Windows (I didn't know I had to) to deal with the fact that my CPU is dual-core. So, it wasn't using the dual-core at all. Post-patch & upgraded video drivers - I'm playing with all the textures and such, and it looks great. I still decided to go without dynamic lighting because that hits my system was too hard. Oh well.

The only really annoying criticism I have at this point in the game are the damn military guarding the area under the train tracks. I didn't pay them the first time I went through (500 bucks?! screw that) and now every time they see me, they open fire. Which is a pain in the ass. But I'll survive.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kill 'em, they're not that much trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
(you WILL hear the same 5-10 phrases again ... and again ... and again... whenever you step into the bar)

I always thought a good way around that would be to set your game on a run-down ROBOT PLANET where everyone, being slightly broken robots, speaks in insanely stilted 1980's style robot voices. Then you can happily just give them a massive vocabulary of words plus a fair number of rules and watch as the background chatter sounds odd but at least not repetitive.

I officially have better ideas than American McGee.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the reasons i would have suggested they do the whole thing in russian with subtitles is because if most of your customers aren't versed in a language, they're not going to be able to tell when things are looping as easily, obviously. it also would have made more sense, i think.

i am kind of frustrated with one point here SPOILARZ keeping this scientist alive in the trainyard part the bar area is a fucking pain in teh ass. the original assault failed but the five dudes who come out to smoke him are heavily armed and kinda fast, which wouldn't be too much of a problem if he stopped sticking his head out to get shot.

also, i found this on the forums and wanted to pass it along because it made me larf.

Quote:
STALKER is rich in great ideas, great work. There's some really cool stuff in it...but it's ruined.

It's ruined because someone came along and said; this is a game and the game has to be winnable or kids won't want to play it.

This is an old fashioned mental/literary construct that is obsolete, but the problem is that older people, rigid minded people can't get it out of their narrow minds. They're trying to force this new art form (and games are a new art form...potentially a very great art form as they embody painting, drawing, sculpture, landscape, portraiture, novels, opera, music, science architecture and amalgamate them all into one single work of art.

Of course this hasn't happened yet fully. It's still a very immature art form and it's crass, prostituted to crude commercial considerations.

And this is at heart what is pissing us STALKER fans off. We didn't want another game... another American arcade shootemup.

We wanted a 3D computer work of art we could live in...

We wanted to explore the real architecture of Chernobyl and the mournful landscape around it.

We wanted to encompass the full tragedy of the catastrophe in our minds.

We didn't want to run around just playing whackamole with bad guys in black hoods.

We were promised an adult work of art, the beginning of a whole new art form.

Myst sort of attempted this and it was a very interesting and somewhat successful approach, even commercially. Why couldn't STALKER have been more like MYST a creepy sickly diseased MYST but still poetic, and mysterious and entrancing nightmare MYST?

Who made the choice to bring in this crass American 3rd rate project manager to come in and butcher this project?

And more importantly, what can be done now to salvage this disaster?

We want our original STALKER back. We want a foreign exotic suprising world to explore.

And we don't want to have to incessantly be pulling a gun and murdering somebody to interact with the wretched inhabitants of this diseased landscape.

We want to talk with them, learn from them pierce deeper and deeper almost against our better judgement into the ugly secrets at the deadly core of this disaster.

Hurry up and hand out the SDK, open up what remains of the original game, let the modders play with the files that govern the AI and AL...

Let's salvage out STALKER.

There's too much great stuff embedded in it to just throw it away.

he makes some good points but OH WE WERE LIED TO is just too fey, especially for someone with a superior european mind.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a douche. He should just go and play Pathologic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
one of the reasons i would have suggested they do the whole thing in russian with subtitles is because if most of your customers aren't versed in a language, they're not going to be able to tell when things are looping as easily, obviously. it also would have made more sense, i think.

This is the first time I have ever been upset at my ability to understand Russian. Dhex, you must be some kind of warlock.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but i do take in a foreign tv/radio broadcasts to relax.

walking through non-english speaking neighborhoods (outside of spanish) is similar. hell, i don't even mind the french neighbors, even though it's pretty hard not to laugh when they're screaming at each other. it's loud enough to hear through our wall, and they're in the adjacent building. they must really love each other. if someone's fighting in english you're always waiting for the "help! help me!" or "put down the knife, harold!" routine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the most annoying aspect of STALKER so far:
-accepting a quest
-completing the quest, ie. killing some stalker guy who was hiding out 100 miles away.
-starting the trek back... not hurrying because there are sights to be taken in & other things to do (considering the fact that everyone you talk to wants you to do something for them)
-getting about 50 feet away from the boss guy to get the reward and having the time run out on the quest, thus failing said quest.

I mean, I completed all the quest stipulations... I was just a little late picking up the reward. It isn't like the stalker is going to be coming back from the dead or anything because it took me a few extra minutes to traverse across the world to pick up my 500 dollar reward, dammit.

The amount of backtracking I'm doing is kind of seriously hindering my experience at the moment. Especially considering there looks to be "short-cuts" on the map that are blocked off ie. from the first area directly to the Shadow Realm or whatever it is called. I imagine they will be opened up at some point but the fact that I have quests involving said area to me implies that those short-cuts should be opened.

(oh, cycle: thanks for the tip about the military. in my over analyzing mind i assumed they would just respawn every time I came through. not having them guarding that area is pretty awesome)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd swear i'd killed those guys more than a few times only to have them fucking show up again over and over. i should go back with better equipment and shred them like a bitch.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:

(oh, cycle: thanks for the tip about the military. in my over analyzing mind i assumed they would just respawn every time I came through. not having them guarding that area is pretty awesome)

They eventually come back, but they wont be there for quite a long time. I'd say it's worth it to wipe them out to have safe passage for an extended amount of time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was wondering something.

I tried installing and playing this but it absolutely CHUGS on my PC (which runs Oblivion at near max settings pretty smoothly.) Is it because I'm a filthy pirate and some copy protection is fucking things up (I totally plan on buying this if I like it, don't worry, dudes, you just can't rent PC games) or am I fucking something up? Even on bare minimum settings, I get at best 5-10 FPS.

Is this a common problem? I have an ATI Radeon X1800GTO, for reference.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you running it in direct x 8 mode in terms of the lighting model? (it's full lighting, object lighting and whatever dx8 mode is)

this thread seems to go over some ati issues. have you updated drivers? (i'm not familiar with ati products or i'd be more helpful.

here's some config edits that seem to be helping folks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally did the X11 mission.

And, to exit the area, you get to use the south road - the one which I tried to enter previously from the other direction - to no avail.

They are joking that it is a "one-way" shortcut right? I mean. They don't expect you to travel in a frigging 100 mile circle to check out some stuff there and get back to the original village... right? They gotta be joking. A one-armed man could climb up over those cement blocks that are blocking the tunnel.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I totally borrowed this game and I am about an hour in and enjoying it immensely. Especially the AI on the dogs and wolves - first time I was flanked, I screamed like a bitch and ran away firing maniacally, as I can only assume the developers wanted.

Two thing:
- I went through that first farmhouse all the way to the tunnel at the end to find "the suit" or something? There was absolutely nothing there. Weird.
- I just snuck through the military barrier, and now Fox is all "I need a medkit!" I don't have one of those. Where am I supposed to find one from?

EDIT: Found some guys walking up the road who weren't there the last time I played, and traded one off them.

Just repelled a bandit attack on that camp! Interesting times. It's kind of annoying how much better than you the enemies are in terms of firearms accuracy. I'm probably just horribly innaccurate, but I'm finding the best way to kill anyone is to run right up to them and spray the crap out of them with the machine gun.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accuracy will improve with better weapons and time. it's very annoying for the first few hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread now makes me officially sad, as my computer sits in unbootable torpor.

The upside is that the first component bought in attempts to revive it is a 7600GT, which should make this game an even better experience than it was on my 9800 pro, should it work.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go back into Stalker, after being busy with things away from my computer. I jumped back in and instantly fell in love with it again, but my performance has dropped HEAPS. Like there is a memory leak. My only guess is because of the no-cd crack I put on because I couldn't be bothered putting the disk in all the time, so I guess I'll see if that fixes it.

In case anyone is wondering where I am, I just turned off the brain scorcher. It was cool to come out and see the military nuking the joint. I also met a new mutant who was incredibly unpleasent to have right in my face, because he was huge and just downright ugly. Like, circus ugly. Anyway that was a fun mission, but not as incredible as the last few. I look forward to seeing what's next! I was also happy to see that my buddies have taken over the city. Well, they were in the middle of taking over it, I helped them out.

I like how basic and minimlistic the story has been so far. This game is about atmosphere and the world... really, the story could just be a MacGuffin and I'd be cool with that.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, lots of people haven't been sure how the endings work. Well, without spoiling too much (I hope), your actions in the game help decide what you... decide at the end. If you have lots of money, you get the greedy ending, if you kill lots of friendlies, you get an evil ending etc.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found an interesting performance bug yesterday: tracking a quest where the target is moving causes stuttering. i.e. the mission where you meet someone in the dark valley.

that was kind of aggravating. i keep fiddling with settings, turned everything down...all i had to do was click off on the map indicator.

i've only just gotten the biosuit.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple more suits now, I only carry the biosuit and... another one with me, though. I keep the others I find in a stash (unless they are worthless).

Also. What the hell? What a stupid bug. Maybe it's something like that causing me grief.

I really wish I could patch this without losing my game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enviously reading this thread since the game was released, but I suppose I'm glad I'll have to wait a bit longer to have a machine I can play it on, with all the complaints about odd bugs and performance issues I'm seeing. It's a small consolation, anyway. If I'm lucky most of that stuff will be resolved by the time I've got my computer up and running. I just hope I get to it before all the other games I'm looking forward to (Bioshock, Hellgate: London, HL2: Black Box, just to name a few) are out!
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if my experience is any indication, it might just up and refuse to run properly no matter what!

I hope they fix some of this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My STALKER experience so far:

Exploration, exploration, exploration, exploration, OH GOD IT'S A THOUSAND BANDITS AND THEY'RE ALL SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU WITH FIREARMS, exploration, exploration, exploration, exploration, HOLY SHIT IT'S THE ENTIRE RUSSIAN MILITARY AND THEIR ATTACK COPTERS TRYING TO WIPE OUT YOUR BUDDIES WHAT DO YOU DO SPORTSFAN WHAT DO YOU DO, exploration, exploration, exploration.

Seriously though, that huge battle around the Agropopsdoppoulis (?) Complex - is it just me or is that pretty much completely unwinnable. I'm always running fairly low on Assault Rifle ammo, because it takes a whole clip to kill some guy who is more than ten metres away, so I can only kill a few chumps before it's shotgun time, and if you don't kill someone instantly with the shotgun you can better believe they'll have your balls in their hand by the time you reload that thing.

I'm enjoying it immensely, just having a vent.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, after the first few main missions, the bandits become little more than minor disctractions.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a wee bit of spoilering: the zombie lab section is great. really great. it's convinced me that a dawn of the dead tactical fps game would be fun. you'd have to look for the high ground, search for ammo, etc. i'm very irritated by not being able to chase down those fucking snork things more easily in the bog, but at least it fits the environment.

and the effects when the "psi poisoning" gets stronger is really neat. i thought it was having some kind of graphical freakout. you can also hear a kind of whining sound that's barely audible. man, they got some things so very right.

i still don't know how to get into the psi poisoning area by yantar (wherever the scientists are) but i am having fun shooting the living shit out of zombies from the roof.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more screenshots. i'm off the labs next.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

Vat ist? Is that a mutant?

Also, what's the deal with mutants. The basic ones anyway. Everyone's all "Halp halp it is the mutants" and they're weaker enemies than like, dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, after seeing the Stalker film, I'm less enthused at the prospect of the game.

What happened, guys?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vat ist? Is that a mutant?

it's a flying dog.

Quote:
Guys, after seeing the Stalker film, I'm less enthused at the prospect of the game.

may zog have mercy on your soul.

i was going to borrow that from a friend of mine - he actually mentioned it in passing, being a filthy fucking film nerd - but then he told me it was like 2.5 hours long. damn.

i've heard rumors that the next patch will have a save game translator so that all saves aren't automatically borked. that might be cool!
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

i read the story.

now i'm sort of enthused as the prospect of this game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Are we talking Tarkovsky or am I hopelessly lost?

If we aren't talking Tarkovsky, I would love to talk Tarkovsky sometime.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying dog, that is awesome.

Hey dhex, how did you take screenshots anyway? Did you have to alt-tab out and paste in Photoshop or the like? The standard F13 approach appears to do precisely nothing.

Also, first invisible mutant. Fuck-scary. If only he would attack the military instead of me. Sad
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use FRAPS for screenshots. Works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: