The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STALKER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F12 in game screenshot key. saves as a jpg. works fine for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Dracko wrote:
Guys, after seeing the Stalker film, I'm less enthused at the prospect of the game.

Are we talking Tarkovsky or am I hopelessly lost?

If we aren't talking Tarkovsky, I would love to talk Tarkovsky sometime.

We are talking Tarkovsky.

That film made me tear up.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well in former soviet ukraine, accuracy is lessened!

uh well yeah.

it's interesting watching the backlash over on the official GSC forums, including the obligatory "there should be a class action suit because this game does not live up to my expectations. we were lied to because you can't do everything and anything. it's not totally open and i am upset."

normally you just let that shit slide because i was all up in arms about stupid shit when i was 17 so what can you do, but there's a good chance dude is in his late 20s and jerks off about "steampunk."

also, what the living fuck? it's a game. it's not important. certainly not important enough to sue over. much less the very idea that somehow you can walk into a court and say "this game did not meet my standards: give me money"? i know we live in the age of stupid/farce/baditutude/every other age but with better technology and varying degrees of cultural laxity, but i can't help but be amazed by this attitude. can you imagine what this would do to the arts?

"if it pleases the court, i would like to enter exhibit A: music for airports. widely regarded as a modern classic and the birthplace of what we now call ambient music. i would like to contrast this with exhibit B, your honor: taking tiger mountain by strategy, which isn't nearly as good. there's a lot of less piano and a lot more really lame 80s "art" flourishes, and the singing is terrible. it sounds like something peter gabriel would jerk off to. there's no singing in music for airports! i was lied to. his name is on it and everything!"

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/sony-playstation-exclusives.php

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's the best thing SA have done in about six years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the catacombs under the Agropodopoulispaprika Research facility, and came back up again. And Mole is standing there, and he's all "Stalkers! I'm over here! Help me!", then proceeds to sprint flat out back into the Research complex which is swarming with Russian military with high-grade assault rifles and full body armour, and gets mowed into a fine pulp within seconds. Whereupon I receive a message on my screen telling me I've failed the mission to find out information about Strelok, because Mole is dead.

...what in the hell is one supposed to do here?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/sony-playstation-exclusives.php

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2388144
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i talked to mole before i went underground, just fyi.

i would say just play on, man. keep on keepin' on.

but yeah, nerd rage is tedious and fucking lame as shit. your conceptual filter should not be entirely comprised of blue cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A realism mod: http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=6103&sec_id=16
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing was that when I went up to Mole, something had glitched up and there was no ability to talk to him. No little "Press F to talk" dialog, and in fact hammering F did nothing at all. But a friend told me you could loot his corpse for the information, so I just stabbed him in the face and found out what was what. Good times.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bet he didn't see that coming.

tweakguides guide for stalker

edit: i found the "-nointro -noprefetch" command line additions very helpful. i get far less hitches than before, which wasn't that much to begin with.

i also like how bandits, if you sneak away correctly, will head to the last spot they heard/saw you. they still seem to have absurdly supersonic hearing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Dracko wrote:
Guys, after seeing the Stalker film, I'm less enthused at the prospect of the game.

Are we talking Tarkovsky or am I hopelessly lost?

If we aren't talking Tarkovsky, I would love to talk Tarkovsky sometime.

We are talking Tarkovsky.

That film made me tear up.

Someone ought to adapt Andrei Rublyov into a videogame. It could open with a first-person hot-air balloon segment that, no matter how well you perform, would end in a terrifying crash.

One end-segment could be trying to make a horse fall down in slow motion as gracefully as possible.

The only color would come during the credits, set over emphatically bright pans across Svetaya Troika (isn't that the russian name of the ikon?).

Dracko, tell me you would play this (admittedly poorly thought out) masterpiece.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i just got through the labs tonight and goddamn.

i'm glad i'm stretching this out by playing only an hour or two at a stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Come in.
Don't be afraid.
Go out.
Don't cry."
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how utterly perfect.

man i wish i didn't have class tonight...(that's basically every night with this one, though)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i didn't have class last night (cuny's idea of spring break is weird) but i only played a little stalker. got embroiled in helping people fight off the 1000th invasion at the garbage warehouse. first the bandits came, and then a bunch of military guys show up.

what would be neat, and we may have in a few years, are fps games stealing a little bit from RTS games in that the ideal behavior would be for the stalkers to start SHORING UP THE FUCKING GARAGE! first, close the fucking door, and then string some shit around the edges so you have a nice, high up perch from which to snipe people and they'll be filtered in only one direction, unless they sneak all the way around the perimeter.

but we're on the road towards far more dynamic environments, i think, and this is a good step in that direction.

on a side note, the snorkel-wearing mercenary types suck and can take wayyy too many hits to the face.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm officially pissed off.

So I went back to using the DVD isntead of the nocd crack, and the game still acts like it has a memory leak and gets slower and slower until it's unplayable. What the fuck? It was fine for the first 20 hours or whatever I played it for, now all of a sudden it's fucking up. Fuck this game and fuck its creators. I hope someone stabs them in the eye.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't had any problems yet; just finished lab16x whatever. that sucks.

it was an exhilarating escape; nearly died several times and had 3 snorks chasing after me.

endurance mods = run away and live.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle, have you tried using the "-noprefetch" option? i found it helped quite a bit.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold your press conference in the exclusion zone, win prizes.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm getting along (had some crash issues when i tried disabling the "-noprefetch" option detailed above - i think it fixes the memory leak issue by not loading everything for an area at the load screen) and beginning to move out of the civilized parts of the zone. what's interesting is that when you first start playing there's no such thing as civilized parts of the zone. all the stuff that's not shitted up with bandits is filled with very angry dogs or things that explode. and the military acts as a buffer between the outside world and this world, preventing travel back and forth.

now, the starting area is overrun with military goons, probably due to something i did (or it's a story trigger that happens regardless of how one handles this particular mission) and i'm trying to pick between the two factions (leaning towards freedom, as they have a cooler base) and moving along with the main story.

the last game i remember having this much atmosphere was system shock 2. before that...daggerfall? it actually reminds me of daggerfall quite a bit (and not just the wiggy behavior routines). and this is despite AMNESIA: THE PLOT DEVICE.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to add this: running into an invisible mutant in the middle of a field is super duper scary. you spend a lot of time screaming "GAAAAAAAAH!" and firing wildly into the air or ground.

shotguns are key.

edit:

wacky glitched weirdness in the back of yantar:

http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ssbenchmarking041207064kh9.jpg
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so i am coming near the end, i believe. oh man it's getting hairy and freaky-deaky out there.

the way they play with radiation and contamination near the end is quite well done, actually. it forces you to make some hard choices about your artifact loadout.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspired by the legendary dwarf fortress thread, i'm inspired to keep posting stalker stuff despite being the only person left playing the game.

stalker! en espanol! aye de mi! que suerte!!!

it's actually a good intro to the game, though it appears to run like shit on his machine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting to break up David Hexler's streak because I don't want him coming close to my DF madness.

Also I guess to say that I plan to purchase and play this eventually.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm still playing this on occasion too. It is just that I recently found a copy of Metal Gear ACiD, which has totally been diverting my attention.

Tonight I just finished the brain scorcher mission, which was long. And difficult. And then, relentlessly, I was shoved into a siege and now I'm deeper still, with no resources, having not seen a merchant of any kind in at least 8 hours, being pounded upon by all forms of holy crap.

It is simultaneously absolutely awesome & infuriatingly aggravating.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start playing again once they release a save game translator so I can patch and get some issues fixed up!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle did you try the registry fix?

here
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tonight I just finished the brain scorcher mission, which was long. And difficult. And then, relentlessly, I was shoved into a siege and now I'm deeper still, with no resources, having not seen a merchant of any kind in at least 8 hours, being pounded upon by all forms of holy crap.

well, you can go back the way you came after you get out of there.

man, i'm pretty near the end, and it just got stupid retarded hard. (i.e. 20 on 1, close quarters)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean... go back the way you came?

I totally felt like I was being pushed forward. I haven't seen a merchant in like hours of gametime, have no supplies or ammuniation and now I'm stuck in some basement with a crazy Russian moaning in words I don't understand and elite soldiers sniping me from 100 meters away.

Frustrating is definitely a key-word here.

I was impressed that I got through that obstacle-course part in such a state. You know, the one where the designers decided to add a countdown timer because the running & the dodging of all the sniper ROCKETS just wasn't intense enough on their own accord.

Despite all this bitching - I am having fun with it. Maybe I shouldn't be playing on elite difficulty.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**spoilartastica***

ahh yeah i meant right after the brain scorcher mission. i stagger all of my saves, but you can head back. it's neat because you run across all these groups of independent and aligned stalkers shooting up the monolith troops. anarchy comes to chaos.

but i'm right where you are right now. the voiceover is annoying but appropriately so. i have a buttload of ammo though - i holed up and watched the military and monolith fight each other (hiding behind a sandbag wall) and then killed all the military guys who were left over and retreating. then i ran my ass off.

the military shotgun is useless (spas12) against all that exo-armor (which is apparently in the game somewhere, but i never found it.)

edit: i also finally found some rats while i was backtracking. ewww!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ending i got :: confusion as loud voiceover :: annoying

really great though. i want to go back and experiment now. specifically at the point where the zone becomes a free for all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a cameo appearance of the author of the Modern Firearms & Ammunition site:

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so the stalker endgame (the true one) is super fucking long. wow.

for all its faults, this is a two thumbs up game.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna start playing this in a couple of weeks or so, now that I'm just about finished building my new PC (once my video card arrives in the mail). I just wanna run through HL2 and Episode One at maximum detail first! I guess STALKER has been patched pretty well by now...?

(Probably gonna pick up that nice little FEAR: Gold package, too.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no problems with stalker (search for the noprefetch command argument in this thread) but some others did. i haven't tried the 1.00003 patch yet, so i played through on the original build. outside of one fucked up savegame all of my buggy weirdness was quite minor and almost thematic.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping this gets a console release. ;_;

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why so they can reduce everything to three buttons?

i keed! i keed!

(no, seriously, they'd totally fuck it up. and it's already half fucked up.)

maybe stalker 2? since this did so well, at least sales-wise.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was initially very curious about this but i think that was just because i liked the novella so much and i think i liked the novella so much just because i liked the protagonist so much.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally started playing this again, I updated my card drivers which seemed to have helped with the problem I was having. I wanna finish it, damnit.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
maybe stalker 2? since this did so well, at least sales-wise.

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=press&s=press_rel&ss=14

Quote:
After the successful completion of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, GSC Game World continues its work on the series. The studio is about to announce several subsequent new products in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe already at the upcoming E3 Media & Business Summit-2007 to take place July 11-13 in Santa Monica.

"We are very happy of the players' positive reaction to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all over the world. This fills us with confidence the team is on the right track and adds us strength to go for next exciting accomplishments. It will be very soon that we present our new interesting ideas and solutions", said GSC Game World's CEO Sergiy Grygorovych.

By the way, should I get the v1.0001 patch or the v1.0003 patch? Fileplanet is sort of confusing with its descriptions, calling 1.0003 the first patch and 1.0001 the most recent, while there are other patches for 1.0001 to 1.0003. So. Um? I'm guessing I just need the v1.0003 [US] patch, but I'd like to be sure.
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
I managed to make the game both look alright & play well. It turns out I hadn't patched Windows (I didn't know I had to) to deal with the fact that my CPU is dual-core. So, it wasn't using the dual-core at all. Post-patch & upgraded video drivers - I'm playing with all the textures and such, and it looks great.

Could you tell me more about this? I'm gonna be building my PC and installing XP come Monday or Tuesday, and I guess the dual core patch isn't included in Windows Updates?

I'm also not paying for Windows, so I want to be sure that my illegitimate OS will not be borked by this patch. I paid for my copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and every other component of my computer, though, so I feel I am morally absolved. Maybe I don't need to explain myself around here for not wanting to give M$ my $100 or whatever?
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.0003 is the latest patch. I'd love to tell you that it is great, but installing it would ruin my 1.0001 save games so... Can't do that.

As far as the dual core patch, this is still a problem. You should install the Windows XP patch (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256). The only thing is.... I cannot remember if installing it required you to validate your copy of Windows (I think pretty much all of Microsoft's updates require this now). You might want to try installing this before you do anything else on your computer, in case you need to format it and start over.

From what I can remember (I am a Mac user so I don't pay too much attention to these things), there are ways to disable the validation tool too.
antitype

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into this much yet myself, but my brother-in-law is providing me with a copy of XP and says there's a website where some guy posts a new crack for every time Windows updates the validation program or what have you (of course). So as long as I'm up to date with these cracks, my validation should not be a problem and I'll be able to install the patch if need be. I wonder if I should just install HL2 first, though, and see how well it runs. Or could I just safely presume that I will indeed need this patch for XP to deal with my dual core CPU (when playing games)? Did you bother with the registry fix for the new performance state policy behavior after running the patch?

I'm also wondering whether it would be worthwhile to just buy a home edition of XP some time down the line so to avoid any validation issues I might run into.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the dual-core patch should be applied before you install any games... It isn't just for STALKER but for any program that uses lots of memory and would benefit from utilizing both cores.

As far as the Windows stuff is concerned... I guess that is up to you. I'd probably just go with the cracks, myself.
dongle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much easier to pirate Vista, which will also play nicer with your SATA hardware (and dual-booting). The performance gaps are shrinking anyway and you'll probably want DX10 for Bioshock and stuff later this year.
antitype

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but my video card only supports up to DX9 anyway, so. I guess I shouldn't worry about that until later? And I can easily upgrade to Vista (without a reformat or anything) later on, after replacing my video card, yeah? I mean, is Vista going to be worthwhile to me before I'm running DX10?

I had been thinking of buying an 8600GT for DX10 support, but everyone I spoke with told me the 7600 would be better for my money, for the time being. I hope I made the better decision. Gonna have to live with it for a while!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patched up stalker note: the world is a lot more empty of people (but not wildlife that i can see) than in the 1.0 build. so far it seems quite stable (this is the 1.003 patch i'm speaking of)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a stalkery note, this patch:

http://www.thefloatingpoint.org/

is fucking amazing. (ati users may or may not get mileage out ot it- check the forums)

but i now run the whole damn game with settings jacked up and holy crap. it's smoother and looks a little better, if a bit bloomy in parts. but underground? oh yeah.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i started playing again, and everything just before turning off the brain scorcher and onward fucking sucked. it was a fucking chore and fuck you whoever made this game for making me play through that fucking bullshit. im not giong to paly this game until they are on fucking version one million, maybe by then the game wont be so fucking broken.

i got inside the power plant and decided it wasnt worth playing on to see what retarded ending they were going to throw at me. fucking fuckers.

fuck.

im just gonna go watch the fucking endings on fucking youtube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: